The movements of the witcher in battle. Can pirouettes be disabled?

+
I have a question about the possibility of turning off pirouettes - these are Geralt's jumps around his axis in battle. If anyone knows if there is a separate mod that replaces pirouettes with direct attacks, please write its name. Or maybe you can change something in the scripts of the game?
The fact is that these rotations of the witcher around him in battle seem unrealistic to me - such an attack takes more time than a direct one and the witcher constantly turns his back on opponents. I spent a lot of time looking for such a mod on the nexus and everywhere, but to no avail. The School of the Roach assembly has a function to turn off pirouettes, but this modification is already pretty boring and I would like to try to make this small edit separately from the large number of mods that completely change the whole game. Thanks

Dude, it's a fantasy game and you're worried about realism. Besides, pirouettes are there because that's part of the witcher lore. Witchers do pirouettes.

Dude, it's a fantasy game and you're worried about realism. Besides, pirouettes are there because that's part of the witcher lore. Witchers do pirouettes.
I don't think the fantasy genre implies that the witcher should be a ballerina. In the mod School of the Roach, he also uses pirouettes, but on rare occasions, about 10% of attacks are made in the form of a wide swing with a turn around its axis. Most of the normal attacks are made in the form of relatively straight lunges, and this looks natural. I do not think that the effectiveness of a sharp sword strike will increase from a strong swing. If we were talking about chopping wood with an ax, then the matter is different. But in battle, these swings are useless. In fact, a pirouette is needed to change the position of a fighter, for example, for change in the target of an attack. But in a original version of this otherwise excellent game, the protagonist uses pirouettes without any sense almost constantly. And I do not like it
Post automatically merged:

Here's an example of how much more natural fencing looks without too many pirouettes

Last edited:
Aah understood. You're asking the wrong question. You actually meaning long range spinning attacks, not the piruettes.
Piruette is a witcher signature movement to evade the enemy attack. Besides, that movement does not exist into the vanilla game.

You want to get rid of the long range spinning attacks at combat, when using the fast attack with the sword. You need to edit "combatsword.ws" by removing or commenting out the lines with "man_geralt_......fast_far_forward.." , "fast_far_back"...etc.

Or

There is a mod on nexusmods, exactly for your request. the mod is called "Better Combat Animations"

Look at the main files. The second one " Combat Animations - No long range spinning " is what're you looking for. :) This replaces the long range spinning attacks with the shorter range fast attacks.

Aah understood. You're asking the wrong question. You actually meaning long range spinning attacks, not the piruettes.
Piruette is a witcher signature movement to evade the enemy attack. Besides, that movement does not exist into the vanilla game.

You want to get rid of the long range spinning attacks at combat, when using the fast attack with the sword. You need to edit "combatsword.ws" by removing or commenting out the lines with "man_geralt_......fast_far_forward.." , "fast_far_back"...etc.

Or

There is a mod on nexusmods, exactly for your request. the mod is called "Better Combat Animations"

Look at the main files. The second one " Combat Animations - No long range spinning " is what're you looking for. :) This replaces the long range spinning attacks with the shorter range fast attacks.
Thanks. I watched the "Better Combat Animations" mod. Unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for. I've tried installing this "No long range spinning" component. But the fact is that it replaces long-range spinning attacks with even more ridiculous and fast spins around itself. So if in vanilla the witcher sometimes looks like a ballerina, then with this mod it's more like a spindle.
Special thanks for the hints on editing the combatsword.ws file. I'll try to figure it out somehow with this

Hmm i see. You also don't like the normal close range fast attacks. In this game, Geralt perfoms almost all the sword attacks with 2 hands, unlike the witcher 2 style.

Then you want to exacly half swording tecnique. Just like in the mod called school of the roach. Thats the mod and the solution you're looking for. That mod has no spinning attacks + contains the quick half swording combat animations.

Last edited:
Hmm i see. You also don't like the normal close range fast attacks. In this game, Geralt perfoms almost all the sword attacks with 2 hands, unlike the witcher 2 style.

Then you want to exacly half swording tecnique. Just like in the mod called school of the roach. Thats the mod and the solution you're looking for. That mod has no spinning attacks + contains the quick half swording combat animations.
Yes, I really like School of the Roach, I have played the game many times with this build. The video, which I gave as an example of a good combat, was shot using the School of the Roach.
But there are some nuances. The School of the Roach is pretty outdated and incompatible with many later mods that would be interesting to try out. Plus, she's pretty tired after having played with her many times. The balance in it is very doubtfully solved - the difficulty remains somewhere up to level 18-19 of Geralt, after which the witcher turns into an invincible superman and the meaning of the game is lost. This is due to the revised skill system used in the assembly. There is also a bit of nostalgia for the original gameplay sometimes, even though it's too simple.
However, it is the system of movements in combat in the School of the Roach that is done very well, although, probably, also not ideal. And I'm very used to it. Therefore, I thought that it would be interesting to transfer direct attacks without rotating the hero around him in the original game and see what happens.
Post automatically merged:

Not so my question is wrong
Wikipedia writes: "Pirouette (fr. Pirouette, Italian piroetta from Ch. Prillare - to spin around its own axis) or tour (fr. Tour, eng. Turn) is the term of classical dance, meaning a turn, a turn around oneself"

Last edited:
No. I mean piruette is the signature movement of the witchers. They perform this movement to evade the enemy attacks.
Its like circling around the enemy, 360 degree spinning movement which is very cool imo.
Look at this combat footage from 2014 demos;

See 1:18 for instance. Thats the piruette. a part of the dodge system.
I prefer this movement instead the vanilla long range rolling animation which i dont like.

No. I mean piruette is the signature movement of the witchers. They perform this movement to evade the enemy attacks.
Its like circling around the enemy, 360 degree spinning movement which is very cool imo.
Look at this combat footage from 2014 demos;

See 1:18 for instance. Thats the piruette. a part of the dodge system.
I prefer this movement instead the vanilla long range rolling animation which i dont like.
I've seen it tens of thousands of times. I played the original game without mods completely 5-6 times. And I believe that these rotations around themselves are completely useless. In a real battle, they would not give any advantages, as people involved in the reconstruction of historical fencing styles have already written about more than once.
In battle, the witcher has a goal not to surprise the opponent with beautiful movements, but to survive and win. Which, unfortunately, most players don't understand.

By the way, I found a video of those edits to fencing for the School of the Roach, which we talked about above. And there it is clear that, unfortunately, it will not work to use them separately from the assembly.

In a real battle, they would not give any advantages, as people involved in the reconstruction of historical fencing styles have already written about more than once.

It's a great way to get yourself cut wide open, actually. You're right about the real-life discrepancy, 100%. One of the very first things anyone taking any form of martial art is taught is, "Never turn your back to an opponent."

But it's fair that witchers would be trained to do it, I think. I'd say it specifically baits the enemy in to being too eager to get that strike at their back, and because the mutations give them supernatural speed, in less than a blink the witcher has come around and is inside the guard of an opponent. It would also be a viable tactic for them against numerous opponents when surrounded: misdirection insofar as where the witcher's next attack would land.

But the downside of real-life sword fighting is that if it was ever recreated 100% accurately...I think most people would be a little bored or confused as to what's going on. :p Technically, a great number of Geralt's moves sort of telegraph what he's about to do, and enemies telegraph even worse. But it looks cool! ;)

But, that's all idle chatter, as the mods should do the trick!

specifically baits the enemy in to being too eager to get that strike at their back, and because the mutations give them supernatural speed, in less than a blink the witcher has come around and is inside the guard of an opponent
I would agree if the player could decide when to use the turn around him in order to lure the enemy under attack. It would be amazing. But now the witcher uses this technique too often. When opponents, one by one, substitute their necks under these jumps of the witcher around themselves, no matter how many of them died before that, it looks very stupid. If even just to reduce the frequency of such movements ten times, it would already be good. This was roughly what was done at the School of the Roach, but, unfortunately, the author did not consider it necessary to complete the work and make his edits a separate mod

I would agree if the player could decide when to use the turn around him in order to lure the enemy under attack. It would be amazing. But now the witcher uses this technique too often. When opponents, one by one, substitute their necks under these jumps of the witcher around themselves, no matter how many of them died before that, it looks very stupid. If even just to reduce the frequency of such movements ten times, it would already be good. This was roughly what was done at the School of the Roach, but, unfortunately, the author did not consider it necessary to complete the work and make his edits a separate mod

Oh, I was referring to the lore, not any actual gameplay element. As in, would it make sense to pirouette during a fight in real life? No. That would be a super dangerous and almost wholly ineffective thing to do. Would it make sense for a witcher? Possibly -- it could be very effective because: superhuman.

In general, if you think about it, the game convention is such a convention ... In fact, fights with weapons in the game are completely far from life, not only in terms of animation of movements, but also in other aspects. For example, the need to kill the enemy by cutting it beautifully has nothing to do with real life. In reality, it is enough to bend the armor and break a couple of ribs for the enemy to forget about the reasons for his hostility for a long time and turn his attention to his own problems. In the game at high difficulty levels, even in the original without mods, we inflict dozens of blows to the enemy with a sharpened sword, and if in the case of monsters this can always be explained from the lore, then with people it looks crazy ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom