Why is Enraged Ifrit so bad?

+
4 power, ten provisions, damage 4 on deploy. You don't even have to look outside of neutrals to find a better alternative: One-Eyed Betsy has same power and provision, 2 additional armor and 2 additional conditional damage. The only other time I've seen a card be outright better than another in all cases is Barghest over Celaeno Harpy.

Lexor

Forum veteran
The most "proper" answer is: If you need one neutral unit card that deals 4 damage then you have Betsy, if you need more such units then you have Ifrit as another one.

If you own Ifrit and not Betsy, he isn’t horrible.

Now really wanting peasant militia is a tad less conceivable.

Regis is on the same level as Ifrit - he has some bonus but he also has some disadvantage.

Surely banishing an opponent's card is more beneficial than not in most cases? Can think of great value in banishing a Greatsword for example.

Surely banishing an opponent's card is more beneficial than not in most cases? Can think of great value in banishing a Greatsword for example.
I bet you will not be able to banish something important in every game.
And Regis will not be able to deal the damage if you have full front row or you would prefer to not place any unit in front.

Most of the times in Gwent, when an expansion comes out, some new cards will use the same mechanism but better and the old ones will just be forgotten and in most cases never brought up to level.
Ifrit was in the base cards, then Regis came and had the banish option on top (now it is melee locked, which for me still makes it better than ifrit but as Lexor said, yes, he has an advantage with a limitation). Then Betsy came and it ends up being the same card with additional stats/advantages. You'll see in future expansions you'll probably get another one that will purify and then do 4 damage or boost itself or something like that, making Ifrit, Regis and Betsy outdated.

Same with Harpy (base) and Bargheist (expansion). Same with a bunch of other cards...

All of that is actually what sfruzz said above: it has been powercrept. Welcome to CCG universe.

(I know it's a bit out topic but if anyone is/was a Magic player (the physical card game), the same happened. I use to play 20 years ago when a 6/6 flying dragon for 9 mana was as big as they came, then compared it to the most recent card sets where anybody could throw a 6/6 flying indestructible trample double attack whatever for less mana, or a 13/13 monster turn 3 or shit like that. Same principal. Difference is you can't update physical cards. You can (could if you wanted to) update them in virtual games.)

I bet you will not be able to banish something important in every game.
And Regis will not be able to deal the damage if you have full front row or you would prefer to not place any unit in front.

You're dismissing his advantage because you won't be able to banish something important in every game, BUT you're concerned about his row restriction as a disadvantage.

Regis is objectively better than Ifrit, just accept it and stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Top Bottom