Honest expectations?

+

My expectation of the experience I'm going to get from Cyberpunk 2077 is that...

• ...it's going to be bad, all things considered. Not my mug of beer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The game will be most likely right up my valley. But I'm in wait and see mode. There were games in the past when I was 1000% sure will end up being great. But after experiencing them I had rather mixed impressions. There's always a chance for that. So I'm keeping it cool.

The recent desperate delays make me think there's a very high chance the game will be buggy on release. So I'm mentally preparing for either waiting till it's patched properly (like I did with The Witcher 2) or simply tolerating the issues and pressing through the game.

It’s a bit off the topic, but I’m intrigued (and it’s my thread, so...), what makes New Vegas a ”disaster” and a ”trainwreck”?

Perhaps I should've put quotation marks on trainwreck as well :LOL: Basically: a messy engine, rushed development that costed Obsidian some financial stability, bugged quests (especially on launch), etc. Things that fortunately didn't affect me that much thanks to both the modding community and the game's strengths. (I can tolerate so-so gameplay and bugs if the writing and/or art direction make up for it.)

Basically: a messy engine, rushed development that costed Obsidian some financial stability, bugged quests (especially on launch), etc.

Well, yes, those are all kinda correct, and there are many who think so, but there's some interesting trivia behind it all.

- Rushed developement: Bethesda gave Obsidian 18 months to make the game.
- Messy engine: Bethesda's Gamebryo (due to there not being time to use Obsidians own Onyx engine to create a game to match the scope of Fallout 3).
- Financial losses leading to layoffs: Bethesda's infamous deal to tie the revenues to the Metacritic score which Obsidian missed by one point.
((
Obsidian: [metacritic 84/85] So, am I eligible for any revenues?
Bethesda: No, I don't think so champ. Bugger off.
Obsidian: [End dialog]
))
- Bugginess for a lot of people (not me though... for some reason): Well, Obsidian had been infamous for buggy releases, but Bethesda's engine and a short dev time didn't help the matter.

It's a miracle of sorts that with all the caveats the game turned out as well as it did (and gathered a cult following, no less).

:D

Last edited:
Wait & see.

I'm excited for the game and hope it turns out great, but I've been hyped before for games that turned out to be very disappointing. Mass Effect: Andromeda and the last two Dragon Age games, as examples. You really won't know until reviews come out and you get some hands on yourself. Marketing just shows you what they want you to see to drive preorders. The flaws aren't going to get pushed to center stage, and there will be some.

Some people are definitely setting expectations way too high for this game. Prior to the latest delay announcement there were lots of posts on social media that read as if the person posting it thought it was going to be the greatest game of all time. It is almost certainly not going to be that, and if you go into it with that expectation you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment no matter how good the game turns out to be. The delay backlash (and some of the more insane reactions) is probably tied to that as well.

Multiple delays & some info that came out from a dev also paints a picture of this game perhaps needing a lot more polish than it's actually going to get before it releases. Hopefully it still be a good game despite technical flaws but I wouldn't go into this expecting a glitch-free experience.

I've been hyped before for games that turned out to be very disappointing.

Tell me about it. I remember how excited I was that Fallout 3 was actually happening and what kind of punch to the gut it was to learn that, yeah, it's full of shit and nothing like its predecessors. Same happened with New Vegas, although with a bit lesser disappointment.... and again, sort of, when the CP2077 footage was released in 2018 (and again with lesser disappointment).

I've been disappointed so many times, I can't get fully hyped on any game anymore.

when it was released it was a buggy mess ,but now not only is it my favorite fallout game but its also one of my all time favorites

Fallout: New Vegas was super ambitious and had a lot of bugs. Cyberpunk is also very ambitious. I think the Devs are just trying to hammer out as many bugs as possible. There's gonna be bugs - the question is, how bad will they be?

I am hopeful that the delay will be well spent and any major bugs will be expunged. I think CDPR knows how important it is to get it right - and I'm optimistic that they will deliver!!

I think it will be an overwhelming success just look at the game awards its already won based on no promotional materiel solely on gameplay that judges got to play early because were on ratings boards.

Its a solid freaking game. This isn't Ubisoft here. I think we have a game we'll be playing for years to come through DLC and expansions. And I love how the priority is the single player experience. All we gotta do is wait a little longer.... Their staff made a mistake giving release dates like that though without fully knowing its ready.

Ubisoft makes generally solid games. It's just that their idea of design and gameplay is bland and boring and surpriseless and vapid as fuck. Who in their right mind wants to play a Ubisoft game, let alone find it fun?
Ubisoft hasn't made decent game that wasnt a buggy mess in while they got complacent after being a prefered deveolper for so long

But "Why?" was the question.

I’d say in my case: usually fun storylines, pretty good art direction, entertaining combat and exploration, and superbly recreated settings (especially in the case of the partially-based-in-real-places ones).

I... uh... don't get it.

Different strokes for different folks. You seem to be only into CRPGs so I won’t judge you for justifiably disliking Ubi games. Even I don’t care hugely about them.

Just because I find their games fun I wouldn’t necessarily call the majority of them amazing :LOL: They have the unfortunate tendency of, once finding success with a formula, overuse it to death. I’ve actually skipped, and keep skipping, some of their entries.

Ubisoft hasn't made decent game that wasnt a buggy mess in while they got complacent after being a prefered deveolper for so long
Ubisoft makes generally solid games. It's just that their idea of design and gameplay is bland and boring and surpriseless and vapid as fuck. Who in their right mind wants to play a Ubisoft game, let alone find it fun?
For Honor.
Innovative gamedesign. Nothing on the market compares.
Clusterfuck release mostly because they thought 4v4 peer to peer is a good idea.

Has since gotten: Servers, Major overhaul of various combat mechanics including the all important lag compensation, New game modes, continued support with balance changes and fixes.

And literally right now theres a tournament with a 35K price pool entirely given out by Ubisoft despite fighting games being way more "niche" than what ubisoft usually produces (e.g. Siege is way more popular) and the game being almost 4 years old.

Top Bottom