POLL: Journey Stories? Yea or Nay?

+

Do you enjoy the weekly Journey stories?

• Total voters
Greetings, fellow travellers!
Since we've now two Journeys behind us, and we've just embarked on another, I've some questions for ye. How are you enjoying the weekly Journey stories? Are they an interesting means of exploring lore? Could they stand improvement, or a different form? What do you like or dislike about them?

To be clear, this thread is specifically about the stories themselves, not rewards, contracts, cards, gameplay, balancing, or metas.

If you've specific narrative-related comments, please, share them below.

Cheers, and good luck on the Path!

For those interested, the previous Journeys' stories may be found here: Tales from the Path: The Stories of Gwent's Journeys

Last edited:
I'll get around to reading the first story... one day. The second one... one day, after it's posted.
I don't like reading unfinished stories, so I don't read the weekly bits -- and I also don't get around to reading the full thing before the Journey is over, apparently.

Would you prefer if the whole tale could be unlocked at once, rather than piece-by-piece?
No, because that would defeat the point of the Journey. Also because I'm likely in the minority, so why change something most presumably don't have a problem with.

rrc

Forum veteran
I really loved the first Journey's story (until they completely messed up with the UI and left a bad taste in my mouth). First reading Dandelion's PoV and then the same incident being narrated by Geralt giving an orthogonal PoV was pretty funny and I used to look forward to each week. Then they screwed up the UI for absolutely no reason making it hard to read and spoiling the fun. Regardless, I loved how they planned for two parallel stories in the first journey.

Second Journey story was, sadly, absolutely nothing. For people who had read the book, they didn't learn anything much and it was just reiterating the story of the books (except for the Bear Hunt part which was original and was pretty awesome), most of the other parts were meh. But the last piece, how they ended the story was absolutely remarkable. I felt heaviness and blocking in my throat reading the last part. It was heart touching and brilliant. For most other parts, it was just OK.

I haven't started reading this third journey's story mainly because I am not playing much (playing very rarely and only to get the Mahakam cardback from last year). But intend to read it and if I find it interesting, I will probably read regularly. So, for now, I couldn't comment on how much I am liking this journey's story.

I d´ont like that stories is unfinished. I only read the gwent stories (including the trees) when is finished.

This time I forgot to read de Ciri Journey, and the story is deleted... I d´ont like this sistem of stories.

Regardless, I loved how they planned for two parallel stories in the first journey.
Ay, that was fun. I was rather disappointed when they didn't carry on with that model in the next Journey. But, as we saw, it wouldn't quite have worked for the tale they had in mind.
Second Journey story was, sadly, absolutely nothing. For people who had read the book, they didn't learn anything much and it was just reiterating the story of the books (except for the Bear Hunt part which was original and was pretty awesome), most of the other parts were meh. But the last piece, how they ended the story was absolutely remarkable. I felt heaviness and blocking in my throat reading the last part. It was heart touching and brilliant. For most other parts, it was just OK.
Ay, perhaps, however, it did provide an interesting overview for those who mayn't know the books well, or at all. Personally, I found the style of narration a bit awkward, especially at first, though I agree that the ending had some emotional strength.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I liked the 1st jurney story a lot. The "weekly release" format was perfect for that kind of story. I hope we'll get more stories done in the same way - 1 story from 2 different points of view.

2nd jurney story was somewhat dull, until the last chapter. That last chapter made it a lot better. I think "weekly release" was not a good choice in this case.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I have read both journey stories. I like the weekly format, although i dont read it every week, i read like halfway, then finish it up when it ends the last bit.

I did enjoy them, however they do seem a bit off, in comparison to Sapkowski's books, or even the dialogues in the Witcher games, i think its because they're written by Slama himself? (i think i saw him say this on a stream sometime)
Anyway, they're good but not great, although the little twist at the end of Journey #2 was touching.

I did enjoy them, however they do seem a bit off, in comparison to Sapkowski's books, or even the dialogues in the Witcher games, i think its because they're written by Slama himself?
I've also noticed that discrepancy between them, particularly in some vocabulary choices -- sometimes, I've felt the words didn't entirely capture the spirits of the characters. However, to be fair, it is a different, smaller, writing team. And The Witcher III's lead English writer and adapter, Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz, who was one of the key developers for the games' scripts, isn't involved, as far as I know.

Jason Slama, as director, no doubt, reviews the Journey texts, but I rather fancy he doesn't write them all by himself. After all, he's quite a busy chap. (Although, he did much of the writing for the Walter Veritas journal entries, during the Syndicate faction's release.)

I enjoyed the first story. Having two points of view, with different perspectives, go through the same (yet different) story, was a cool idea. I did not finish to read the second story.

I do enjoy the stories. My only regret is that like the stories in seasonal they just disappear.

I hope they'll find a place for that in the reward book. Once you unlock some content, it would be nice to keep it.

I like the stories we get and I like to get them on a weekly basis even though I don't necessarily always read em on release.

I really enjoyed the first journey's story and the fact that it was presented from two different perspectives made it hilariously funny and cool. :howdy:
There's a certain comical aspect to how Dandelion chooses to interpret reality, make stories and feed em to his fans and him self.
(legendary mental gymnastics):coolstory:
...i realise ofc that it's not easy, feasible or at all necessary to replicate this style of story narration for every journey for obvious reasons.

Now... Ciri's journey, tbh I found the first 5 chapters pretty boring, almost had me dozing off...:sleep:
...with the exception of the fight in the forest.
I can't talk bout it's end cause I didn't finish reading it since i kept putting off reading it for the last day and totally forgot about it in the end. :giveup:

With all that said I'd like to add to the voices of many others and say that there should be a section on the official site that auto-publishes the full story when a journey reaches it's end so we and other people can check on what they didn't read on time or completely missed out.

I heard some rumors about the old seasonal trees being removed from the game at some point in the near future.
If that's the case (even if not) my opinion is that
CDPR needs to implement a journal-codex system (either in game or on the official site) to save the stories that people unlock in the seasonal trees since they've earned em by spending precious currency.
It's not a matter of being fair towards the customer-players...honestly, it's just that some stories I've read were really cool and I cannot read em again even though I unlocked them.
This imo will deepen the sense of progression and the attachment to the game.

This is an interesting thread btw.
Cheers ! :beer:

This is an interesting thread btw.
Thanks -- and thanks for the comments! It's gratifying to see players take an interest in the stories. Often enough, we don't discuss lore or characters much round here, so this, for me, is a refreshing diversion from the regular conversations.

I'm seeing a trend develop in the posts so far, particularly regarding Ciri's story. I find it instructive that a few of us thought it on the dull side. This suggests to me that the REDs may wish to consider livelier tales, especially if they treat known characters, like Ciri.

As an aside, I'll remark that, when I saw the loading screen for the last Journey, I'd rather hoped we'd read a bit about Vesemir's career. I've always fancied that the old boy's past could likely prove engaging reading -- or, better yet, playing. . . . Needless to say, I was disappointed when the entries only followed Cirilla.

Actually I really like the format of the first story. I am not sure whether there is a name for that writing style. At first, when I read Dandelion's story, its like "wth am I reading?" Then I read the Geralt side of the story, which was sober, it suddenly all made sense. It's totally hilarious with the reality story contrasting the what's in Dandelion's mind.

I like Ciri story. It's a bit more heavy than fun. But I liked the story anyway and I felt I was touched.

I read both of the stories after I finished the 100 lv quest lines.

Geralt/Dandelion story was enjoyable to read but Ciri story was poorly written and very boring. No development, no climax, no nothing. Just a piece of text that was below expectations in every respect.

I look forward to read Alzur's journey.

Actually I really like the format of the first story. I am not sure whether there is a name for that writing style.
I'm not sure how others would categorise it, but I'd call it alternating perspective.
I like Ciri story. It's a bit more heavy than fun. But I liked the story anyway and I felt I was touched.
That's an interesting way to describe it. It indeed had a more sombre, reflective style -- which probably is the reason some didn't much care for it. Although, initially, I felt it wandered a bit, in the end, a stronger sense of Ciri's voice emerged. But it took some time.

So, any thoughts on the beginning of this Journey's tale? Or is it still too early to tell?

Personally, I'm intrigued to see where it leads.

Top Bottom