Cyberpunk 2077 & next-gen consoles compatibility

+
Important games censored ONLY on PS4 compared to xbox are very few. I don't think I need to worry. It is not a Japanese game and Sony is usually more "quiet" = P

That's great news!!!

First I will know and play the game on PS4. And then mastering and 100% completion on PS5! ;-)

Yeah, that would be a nice thing to know. CDPR hasn't addressed this yet to my knowledge.
they have said that there was no intentions or indications it would be required to be cencored and given that its passed cert as is on first try its not going to be. Im sure the streamer mode option was enough to satisfy sony's prude group in that parents will have the option to censor the game. not that it will ever be used other than those streaming to platforms where un censored content will get taken down
Post automatically merged:

Important games censored ONLY on PS4 compared to xbox are very few. I don't think I need to worry. It is not a Japanese game and Sony is usually more "quiet" = P
they already said it wont be quite a while ago

Hello guys! I cannot wait for this game!

But I am a bit disappointed that there are no news (screenshots/gameplay) at all regarding the console versions...

I am especially interested to know what kind of enhancements the next gen consoles will have upon release over the current ones. I know there will be an extensive patch coming sometime in 2021 to further take advantage of next gen console hardware, but we really have no info as to what exactly this means.

Will PS5/XBOX series X offer on release date better visuals (gfx settings) than the current versions?
Will PS5/XBOX series X offer on release date higher framerate modes (60fps with lower resolution)?
Finally what exactly should we expect upon the release of 2021 gfx patch? Will it be just for consoles, or also next gen hardware PC? I mean will the game be reworked only for the consoles in 2021 or PC as well?

Game is really upon us and a lot of us console gamers would really like to know how this game will look and play on our systems. I would greatly appreciate more detailed info regarding these issues because if PS5/XBXSX on release is only about resolution and nothing more, I might stick to my current PS4 Pro. So we need this info some of us, in order to handle our budget accordingly.

Many thanks!

I think the game was primarily developed for the current generation of hardware. So, that's what is ready now.

I'm with you: I am wondering if I should wait for the version tweaked for PS5/XOX. But that could be a long time in the waiting.

Some say "I will replay the game later when the next-gen version is ready.", but I rarely replay games, with rare exceptions.

So, that's where we are. Wait and believe a "definitive edition" will come later. Or, forego the idea of a "definitive edition" and play the game that was made for current-gen hardware.

As I said before: it's very important at least to know if current gen save files will work on next gen version for PS5 when the patch is released in 2021. Ideally it'd be nice to know if dualsense features will be implemented or not, but the matter of save files is something that MUST be addressed before the november release so that we can decide for which platform we should buy the game.

Just a quick reminder for who doesn't know it: many PS4 games' save files won't be compatible on PS5 after a next gen patch.

I think the game was primarily developed for the current generation of hardware. So, that's what is ready now.

I'm with you: I am wondering if I should wait for the version tweaked for PS5/XOX. But that could be a long time in the waiting.

Some say "I will replay the game later when the next-gen version is ready.", but I rarely replay games, with rare exceptions.

So, that's where we are. Wait and believe a "definitive edition" will come later. Or, forego the idea of a "definitive edition" and play the game that was made for current-gen hardware.

I myself dont think I can wait for the definitive version. However I am willing to go ahead and buy a PS5 to play an enhanced version on release. But as it is now, I have no idea what kind of enhancements PS5 will bring. If it is just a few more pixels it really isnt worth buying one (at launch I mean, because eventually I will buy one down the line). But if PS5 enhancements also include better graphics and modes (like a 60fps mode) this is kinda huge and worth the investment.

So all I want is CDPR to come out and explain in detail what should we expect, because if it turns out the enhancements are worth a PS5, then I need to act fast because of the supply issues. And yes the save file issues also need to be addressed. It will suck to lose all progress by upgrading your console. We need to know these things to act accordingly. This is a huge release.

Besides, by now CDPR will surely have a good idea of what the PS5 enhancements on release must be.

Last edited:
I myself dont think I can wait for the definitive version. However I am willing to go ahead and buy a PS5 to play an enhanced version on release. But as it is now, I have no idea what kind of enhancements PS5 will bring. If it is just a few more pixels it really isnt worth buying one (at launch I mean, because eventually I will buy one down the line). But if PS5 enhancements also include better graphics and modes (like a 60fps mode) this is kinda huge and worth the investment.

So all I want is CDPR to come out and explain in detail what should we expect, because if it turns out the enhancements are worth a PS5, then I need to act fast because of the supply issues. And yes the save file issues also need to be addressed. It will suck to lose all progress by upgrading your console. We need to know these things to act accordingly. This is a huge release.

Besides, by now CDPR will surely have a good idea of what the PS5 enhancements on release must be.
The "problem", in my opinion, is that this game has to sell millions of copies at launch. It is obvious that for those figures it is necessary to sell on PS4 / ONE / PC. PS5 and Series X will be NECTLY less on the market in the first months of life, it's statistical. So for CDPR it is counterproductive to push the 2021 upgrade version otherwise people postpone the purchase by paying less (obviously).
I think we won't know ANYTHING until the exit. I repeat, my personal opinion.

The "problem", in my opinion, is that this game has to sell millions of copies at launch. It is obvious that for those figures it is necessary to sell on PS4 / ONE / PC. PS5 and Series X will be NECTLY less on the market in the first months of life, it's statistical. So for CDPR it is counterproductive to push the 2021 upgrade version otherwise people postpone the purchase by paying less (obviously).
I think we won't know ANYTHING until the exit. I repeat, my personal opinion.
I totally get what you are trying to say. I thought of the same thing. Why CDPR risk people postponing the purchase of the game on a later date which will make them pay less for it.

However I dont really want CDPR to tell me much about the upgraded versions. Only thing I want is to know the enhancements for PS5/XBOX series X. Besides nothing is stopping me if I dont like the enhancements to call off/postpone my purchase, in hopes that the upgraded version will be significantly improved.

That is why I want them to shed some light on this. In fact we havent even seen how this game runs on consoles. I mean current gen ones. And I think that this is not so consumer friendly to be honest. A huge number of buyers will be console users. And we have absolutely no idea how this game will look and run on our systems. We are one month away from release. We really need to know...

I totally get what you are trying to say. I thought of the same thing. Why CDPR risk people postponing the purchase of the game on a later date which will make them pay less for it.

However I dont really want CDPR to tell me much about the upgraded versions. Only thing I want is to know the enhancements for PS5/XBOX series X. Besides nothing is stopping me if I dont like the enhancements to call off/postpone my purchase, in hopes that the upgraded version will be significantly improved.

That is why I want them to shed some light on this. In fact we havent even seen how this game runs on consoles. I mean current gen ones. And I think that this is not so consumer friendly to be honest. A huge number of buyers will be console users. And we have absolutely no idea how this game will look and run on our systems. We are one month away from release. We really need to know...
I totally agree with you. Seeing the past though, when he changed the generation from PS3 / 360 to PS4 / ONE, I don't remember developers showing the old-gen version in advance. CDPR with the withcer 3 if I'm not mistaken, it only ever showed the PC version. But maybe I remember wrong. So I don't expect to see the console version (PS4 / ONE) before November 19th. If they do it great! But I don't expect it.

Im sorry if this has been asked before or not but i have a question regarding this update.

I understand we can play via backwards compatibility but when this update comes out is it just a graphic update for B.C. or will it be like getting a whole new version of game (I.e. going to the store and buying a xbox series x/ps5 version of the disc)

If I upgrade to the next gen will i also get a (basically) a free copy of the game for that gen?

Sorry if this seems confusing, i have a hard time writing what im thinking.

Im sorry if this has been asked before or not but i have a question regarding this update.

I understand we can play via backwards compatibility but when this update comes out is it just a graphic update for B.C. or will it be like getting a whole new version of game (I.e. going to the store and buying a xbox series x/ps5 version of the disc)

If I upgrade to the next gen will i also get a (basically) a free copy of the game for that gen?

Sorry if this seems confusing, i have a hard time writing what im thinking.

I don't think that you will have a "free copy".
You will still have to use your own copy (digital or physical) as usual, but you when you install the game you will also have the update with next gen improvements.

For who's asking about what to expect on PS5 and series X|S at launch, just take a look at how the backward compatibility works on the current gen games.
If the framerate is unlocked, the framerate will go up because more power.
If the resolution is dynamic it will go up because more power.
Other than that, what you can expect on screen in terms of graphical details should be the same as the current gen consoles for now.

I don't think that you will have a "free copy".
You will still have to use your own copy (digital or physical) as usual, but you when you install the game you will also have the update with next gen improvements.

For who's asking about what to expect on PS5 and series X|S at launch, just take a look at how the backward compatibility works on the current gen games.
If the framerate is unlocked, the framerate will go up because more power.
If the resolution is dynamic it will go up because more power.
Other than that, what you can expect on screen in terms of graphical details should be the same as the current gen consoles for now.
So if i upgrade to xbox series X and dont want to backwards compatibility all the time I'll have to buy the box that says xbox series X? I know it sounds like a waste of time and money but im really weird like that and is a bit of a OCD thing.

So if i upgrade to xbox series X and dont want to backwards compatibility all the time I'll have to buy the box that says xbox series X? I know it sounds like a waste of time and money but im really weird like that and is a bit of a OCD thing.

For Xbox, there will be no series X specific cover. Look at the cross gen games that Ubisoft got out: they only say XBOX (and the compatibility with Series X and One is specified under it).
Right now the only versions available for pre ordering are PC, PS4 and One. And it makes sense, since there is no next gen version yet.
Maybe in the future you will find a XBOX generic cover. We don't know it yet.

As for the backwards compatibility, it will only be active at launch, until they make the next gen update. When the next gen version is out, the system will update the game and play that automatically. You won't have to worry about the "Old gen" version of the game. They called it "smart delivery".

So if you want to play the game at day one, you must get a Xbox One version (at least for disc version).

For Xbox, there will be no series X specific cover. Look at the cross gen games that Ubisoft got out: they only say XBOX (and the compatibility with Series X and One is specified under it).
Right now the only versions available for pre ordering are PC, PS4 and One. And it makes sense, since there is no next gen version yet.
Maybe in the future you will find a XBOX generic cover. We don't know it yet.

As for the backwards compatibility, it will only be active at launch, until they make the next gen update. When the next gen version is out, the system will update the game and play that automatically. You won't have to worry about the "Old gen" version of the game. They called it "smart delivery".

So if you want to play the game at day one, you must get a Xbox One version (at least for disc version).

So if i understand correctly.

For example say xbox one had smart delivery but you only had a 360 version of the game. It takes that and updates it so it basically a xbox one game?

And with the console launch if i get the game digitly it say its "xbox one" and just run it like its a xbox one game till the update comes out basically making it a series X/ ps5 game?

I apologize if this seems annoying I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

For example say xbox one had smart delivery but you only had a 360 version of the game. It takes that and updates it so it basically a xbox one game?

And with the console launch if i get the game digitly it say its "xbox one" and just run it like its a xbox one game till the update comes out basically making it a series X/ ps5 game?

Just buy the game for xbox one and it will work just fine on series S/X. next year you'll get a free update. you will just need to download a patch. Simple as that, no additional fees. You won't lose your save files.

Same for ps4->5, except for save files (we don't know yet)

I don't know much about the 360 game honestly, also because this smart delivery thing is a definition that Microsoft invented for these next gen consoles. Howerver, if you put a 360 game in your One, the system will play the version available for that system. I may be wrong about that, but some of those game needed a porting to work on the Xbox One. But that is transparent to the user. You just inster the disc, install (and maybe download something) and play.

As of CP2077 (and almost every other game), yes. If you get it digitally it will run as a Xbox One game (with better performances in fps and resolution if you are on a next gen console) until they publish the next gen update.
When the update will be available, if you are on a Xbox One it will download the Xbox One version, if you are on a next gen console, it will download the next gen console.

I don't know much about the 360 game honestly, also because this smart delivery thing is a definition that Microsoft invented for these next gen consoles. Howerver, if you put a 360 game in your One, the system will play the version available for that system. I may be wrong about that, but some of those game needed a porting to work on the Xbox One. But that is transparent to the user. You just inster the disc, install (and maybe download something) and play.

As of CP2077 (and almost every other game), yes. If you get it digitally it will run as a Xbox One game (with better performances in fps and resolution if you are on a next gen console) until they publish the next gen update.
When the update will be available, if you are on a Xbox One it will download the Xbox One version, if you are on a next gen console, it will download the next gen console.
Awesome! Thank for clarifying and being patient! I just want to make sure i understand everything correctly.

Guest 4421288

Very eager to learn about cross save from PS4 to dedicated PS5 version next year as less than a month away. It was always big question on my mind these months!

I've kept an eye on gaming websites, other forums, twitter for CDP and Cyberpunk for some sort of announcement. i.e Straight no/maybe/yes. But can't find anything. I guess if they haven't said no to cross save then must be a positive sign?

Only reason I signed up to this forum was to add this thread to my email notification. Seemed like if anything news would hit this thread fast.

Does not affect my purchase. But piece of mind I would be able to do New Game+ on dedicated PS5 version next year or have to start over.

Hello everybody :)
My intention is to play the game at launch on Playstation 4. At the beginning of 2021 I should get PS5. I would love to be able to CONTINUE my game on PS5 by buying the expansions. But I have a doubt: will the save files be compatible with the next-gen POST patch game? Or will I have to replay it all?

From recent news, it seems like no. Good question. Let's see what they say. I also wonder for tw3 next gen free update, which I'm more interested in (since I have it on ps4)

given the PlayStation 5 will play for all intents and purposes all the ps4 games there is little reason why your ps 4 saves wont work with the ps 5 game after all part of the day one patch will be a compatability upgrade for the ps4 version to run on ps5 while wait for next gen version next year. on top of that its mostly to be graphics improvements not any change in the game itself. given im getting my ps5 around newyears short of a supply shortage coming up i am in same position where im going to hav e slim chance to have to start over. But given the game will take many replays to see everything its not that big a problem

As I said before: it's very important at least to know if current gen save files will work on next gen version for PS5 when the patch is released in 2021. Ideally it'd be nice to know if dualsense features will be implemented or not, but the matter of save files is something that MUST be addressed before the november release so that we can decide for which platform we should buy the game.

Just a quick reminder for who doesn't know it: many PS4 games' save files won't be compatible on PS5 after a next gen patch.

Top Bottom