Northern Realms Deck Strategies

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
I really like this mid-range style of deck building where provisions are spread over quality units. It feels good when you are confident your draws are always decent and you can afford to mulligan more freely. Margarita feels like she has purpose now that devotion is a thing.

It does kinda feel like frigate flies under the radar power level wise with all the GS hate going 'round. Lol

In my opinion, mobilization is kinda overkill. I think on average you would probably get better value from uprising. Especially with smoke them out. It seems to synergize great with Vissegard and scytheman.

Nice list!

Thanks. Im not a big fan of Uprising, where your power play is at the end, i rather have Mobilization (or Pincer Maneuver) where you play leader early, overwhelming opponent with engines, that way its unlikely they'll be able to stop em all.

And you're right, it synergizes really well with Vissegerd, so i should probably add scythemen, but im so sick of Uprising (done with its Mastery recently), that i want something different.

And the 'smoke em out' is there more as a filler, to be sure the Natalis never bricks.

Either I'm using the Blue Stripes, Voymir, Vissegerd deck (dropped Draugr for more consistency), or a Shieldwall siege deck (I don't use any of the duel cards, strictly siege engines with some tutors.)

Oh my goodness. Since the October update, these two cards are killer:
1. Prince Aneis (P: 10 / S: 4-5)
2. Seltkirk of Gulet (P: 9 / S: 5)

They both have Duel, which means that with the Shieldwall faction ability, you can boost either to a 7 with a shield which means they deal damage twice before the opponent damages them, allowing them to deal 14 unreturned damage in a turn. And that's just one! With both, you effectively have two 21-point turns that leave you with one more "Boost by 2 and give Shield" charge left.

Further, the Shieldwall ability allows you to play Vysogota of Corvo into the game earlier than you would normally be able to because he can't be removed by a damage-dealing card in one turn. Also, the power can be used to trigger Inspired in cards with that qualifier, such as Anna Strenger or Priscilla.

My favorite NR strategy is to play my tutorable echo tutor Amphibious Assault which guarantees me at least 13 points twice while also being flexible and serving as both a great finisher or starter or whatever inbetween effectively making a faction with already one of the best long rounds also dominate short rounds.

My favorite NR strategy is to play my tutorable echo tutor Amphibious Assault which guarantees me at least 13 points twice while also being flexible and serving as both a great finisher or starter or whatever inbetween effectively making a faction with already one of the best long rounds also dominate short rounds.
How do you intend on getting 13 immediate points twice ?
The immediate points are 12 by tutoring a brick.

Edit: I also wonder where you got the idea that AA would make them dominate in short rounds.
Against what decks does NR dominate in short rounds (obviously without Shield Wall, since you made it clear that AA is the reason) ?

Last edited:
How do you intend on getting 13 immediate points twice ?
The immediate points are 12 by tutoring a brick.

Edit: I also wonder where you got the idea that AA would make them dominate in short rounds.
Against what decks does NR dominate in short rounds (obviously without Shield Wall, since you made it clear that AA is the reason) ?
12 points twice, my bad. 13 provisions for a guaranteed 24 points tutorable echo tutor, seems legit.

12 points twice, my bad. 13 provisions for a guaranteed 24 points tutorable echo tutor, seems legit.
Actually with the usual tutor Natalis to ensure you get it before Round 3 you get 26 points for 21 provisions and that is deceptive, given that you do not get 26 points, but 26 points minus what you would would have played instead of the second AA, so with 4p cards having a floor of 6 points you can say that you get 26-6=20 for 21 at best.

This example should clarify that evaluating Echo cards is not as trivial as it appears, as the value (not point-wise but distribution-wise) is intuitively a lot higher than the calculation above shows, Echo cards are a kind of carryover card, furthermore they are expendable resources and they are still "inherited" into later rounds.
Without Natalis into double Kaedwenni Knight you get 24-6=18 points for 13 provisions IF the card you would get instead is a 4p card AND if you get AA early enough (you have to open with it if you do not intend to bleed with it).
Truth be told, people are still arguing over what the average value of a card in one's deck is, however I think we can all agree that it is above the weakest card left in the deck, so it is most definitely above a 4p card.

I am not trying to say AA is bad by any means, however stating that AA is the current issue (i.e. Shieldwall) is ignoring the real culprit.

Last edited:
What do you think about this deck and what would you change?

What do you think about this deck and what would you change?
How can you not run Vernon Roche: Merciless ?
... especially when you already use Inspired Zeal, Pavetta, Commandos and even Scouts.

How can you not run Vernon Roche: Merciless ?
... especially when you already use Inspired Zeal, Pavetta, Commandos and even Scouts.
:D I tried it some while ago but many times i didn't draw him and then I replaced him with Oneiro and thought that with Reinforcement it would be enough Commandos...

HI, i have some problem with north copy deck
my mage deck and war machine are pretty good but i dont know what to do with the copy deck, the problem is that you need to have devotion deck to be more effective with foltest but the deck dont make alot of dammage and i fastly have no place to play other card with all the copies

Northern Realms Deck Strategies

So I wanted to post my current Northern Realms deck that I'm using. I am a F2P player, having spend 0 dollars so far. This deck isn't expensive to build, as there are no Legendaries, though it does have a couple of epics (hence budget is between quotation marks) So far it has a good winrate, even gainst the dreaded Monsters.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/4707-golden-realms-budget

Guide on how to play it is in the link. I hope this inspires more people to play a version of this deck, as a lot of Northern Realms decks seem to be focused on just buffing and copying rather than utilizing the passive.

EDIT: Users are welcome to use this topic to discuss varying Northern Realms strategies.
The link for the gwentdb website for the deck you linked "golden-realms-budget" no longer works, it just redirects to the gwent fandom wiki! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a Northern Realms deck starter going ? I tried duplicating the NR Uprising starter deck and it pulled up with only like 8 Card units in it. And I only have 10 NR cards owned total. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Would greatly appreciate any help with this ! thanks

The link for the gwentdb website for the deck you linked "golden-realms-budget" no longer works, it just redirects to the gwent fandom wiki! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a Northern Realms deck starter going ?
This thread is very old, so links may not work anymore.

Nowadays, there is the official deck library which might have something suitable. You can filter it in various ways, including by faction, leader ability, and crafting cost.
However, many of the decks posted are old and may no longer be valid due to changes to cards' provision costs.

Top Bottom