Steam exclusive goodies

+
I was angry for a second because I thought this was an in game quest. I dont think its obvious that this isnt, might want to clear it up.

but he's right ... if i want all the goodies i have to buy the game more than once now ... i expect something like that from other companies but not from CDPR
But I mean, the suggestion is that rather than just wanting each platform to get it's own "thing," that they got together and said:

"Hey! 1 in 10,000 people might think a digital comic is worth $60.00 and therefore buy multiple copies of the game. So we should give different small digital goodies for platforms and create a whole set of add-on goodies and a marketing thing around it so that we can sell 2000 (assuming 20 million copies sold) extra copies of the game."

That's crazy on multiple levels. And suggests that they're exploitative of consumers (which I think they're long track record shows is not their thing at all).

The much simpler explanation is that they wanted each platform to have a relatively inconsequential and inexpensive to make add-on that could make it unique.

Last edited:
Silly question, but will these be available only AFTER the game is launched? (so in 4 or 5 years Kappa)

A totally valid question, imo, which I was about to ask myself, although the 4-5 years seems a bit extreme; perhaps just 1 year? It would go a long way to 'release' all the " relatively inconsequential and inexpensive to make add-ons" eventually. Imho, people here are pointing this out because this does seem 'exploitative' (a harsh and exaggerated term, imo), even if the numbers to do so are 'crazy'.

I would love to read the "Where's Johnny" comic and the "2am she calls" short story, but I probably won't be able to. It sucks if these are never released but I'm not going to get all pissy about it, as I get what CDPR is trying to do. But I hope CDPR will understand why the people commenting here, are getting that 'exploitative' impression...

I don't really see any other "valid" reason for such policy. I mean, who is getting any advantage of this separate goodies?

The customer, mostly.

And cdpr also gets an advantage in the way of building a more friendly reputation / its a way of "free" advertising in that it will be shared.

Likely it is also part of the deal with the platform holders. I work for a larger consumer goods company and a lot of big retails like Target/Walmart love to get "special" versions of products - even if it is just a variant color scheme or cheep give-away pack in.

I expect Steam/GOG/PS/XBOX like to have these small trinkets to differentiate their product from the same product on another platform. For CDPR it is an easy way to generate some goodwill from their partners without having to spend too many resources on it. At least it is not in-game items like many other games use for this purpose.

Likely it is also part of the deal with the platform holders. I work for a larger consumer goods company and a lot of big retails like Target/Walmart love to get "special" versions of products - even if it is just a variant color scheme or cheep give-away pack in.

I expect Steam/GOG/PS/XBOX like to have these small trinkets to differentiate their product from the same product on another platform. For CDPR it is an easy way to generate some goodwill from their partners without having to spend too many resources on it. At least it is not in-game items like many other games use for this purpose.

I dont see how cdpr benefits from a deal to incenticise potential customers away from the own platform.

I don't really see any other "valid" reason for such policy. I mean, who is getting any advantage of this separate goodies?

The distributors. Steam in this case specifically. This is a campaign intended to promote Steam, in case it wasn't obvious. It does not exist for the benefit of players.

I dont see how cdpr benefits from a deal to incenticise potential customers away from the own platform.

CDPR is still getting 70% of money off the games sold on Steam. Lets not forget they actually stand to benefit here. They are selling on steam already, might as well sell more.

It is possible that Steammade a deal about some benefits worth money, but Im not sure.

Last edited:
The distributors. Steam in this case specifically. This is a campaign intended to promote Steam, in case it wasn't obvious. It does not exist for the benefit of players.

CDPR is still getting 70% of money off the games sold on Steam. Lets not forget they actually stand to benefit here. They are selling on steam already, might as well sell more.

It is possible that Steammade a deal about some benefits worth money, but Im not sure.

Thats 30 percent less than they get from games sold on their own platform. They dont stand to benefit from people choosing steam over gog at all.

The argument is that people making the choice between steam/gog might prefer the goodies steam offers, so they dont benefit.

Thats 30 percent less than they get from games sold on their own platform. They dont stand to benefit from people choosing steam over gog at all.

There are a great deal of people who are "steam fans" and ONLY buy their games off steam. Well, I used to be one. I pre-ordered on Steam without much a second thought back then, 18 months ago. Today I might not as Ive become conscious about Steams practices, but it is what it is.

But I mean, the suggestion is that rather than just wanting each platform to get it's own "thing," that they got together and said:

"Hey! 1 in 10,000 people might think a digital comic is worth $60.00 and therefore buy multiple copies of the game. So we should give different small digital goodies for platforms and create a whole set of add-on goodies and a marketing thing around it so that we can sell 2000 (assuming 20 million copies sold) extra copies of the game."

That's crazy on multiple levels. And suggests that they're exploitative of consumers (which I think they're long track record shows is not their thing at all).

The much simpler explanation is that they wanted each platform to have a relatively inconsequential and inexpensive to make add-on that could make it unique.

the question why there are different goodies can only be answered by CDPR.
As a customer, I now have to choose one of the two comics, either GoG or Steam.
I only get both "if" I buy the game 2 times.
As a pre-orderer of a CE, I don't even have this option because the box only contains a code for GoG
and I think that's not very customer-friendly.

There are a great deal of people who are "steam fans" and ONLY buy their games off steam. Well, I used to be one. I pre-ordered on Steam without much a second thought back then, 18 months ago. Today I might not as Ive become conscious about Steams practices, but it is what it is.

That doesn't address what I said at all
Post automatically merged:

the question why there are different goodies can only be answered by CDPR.
As a customer, I now have to choose one of the two comics, either GoG or Steam.
I only get both "if" I buy the game 2 times.
As a pre-orderer of a CE, I don't even have this option because the box only contains a code for GoG
and I think that's not very customer-friendly.

You kind of aren't entitled to the free product they are offering as a bonus for buying their other products..

How do you feel about physical retailers doing literally the same thing but with physical objects? I didn't see this criticism there.

Distributors who paid CDPR to get exclusive content. CDPR got the advantage from this situation.

The customer, mostly.

And cdpr also gets an advantage in the way of building a more friendly reputation / its a way of "free" advertising in that it will be shared.
How on earth giving stuff to steam users only would benefit PlayStation users (and the other way around)? The other option is giving everything to everyone without dividing customers. Dividing is everything but "building a friendly reputation". Even no goodies at all for anyone would be more equalising, paradoxically.

Last edited:
The deal with distributors might not be about money as such. CDPR gets a big sales bump from being featured prominently on a stores front page. Making nice with distributors helps make that happen.

Also, giving distributors little things they can use to push their own marketing of the game is good business. If Steam is out hyping its exclusive and other stores are out hyping their exclusives, that fight over which platform gets your dollar helps drive overall awareness of the game. It lets them have a marketing fight on something other than price, which you generally don't want to do as a retailer unless you just care about getting people in the door (like Walmart/Target that can sell you a lot of other stuff while you are there).

Doing this with freebies people don't care as much about is the "building a friendly reputation" part. If they were going for "peak-EA" you would have exclusive guns/vehicles/quests per distributor instead.

I'm just glad this isn't game content being made exclusive to a platform release.

*stares at Sony*

tumblr_3be136c3a089099a2fc745585ac7e2f4_1b859c11_250.gif

Distributors who paid CDPR to get exclusive content. CDPR got the advantage from this situation.

How on earth giving stuff to steam users only would benefit PlayStation users (and the other way around)? The other option is giving everything to everyone without dividing customers. Dividing is everything but "building a friendly reputation". Even no goodies at all for anyone would be more equalising, paradoxically.

Because we get free stuff lol, it isn't only steam gog ones also. Only people angry they can't get literally all the free stuff are angry

Is this a joke? Why would CDPR allow an exclusive on a distribution platform that completes with the one they own? Some of the crap that management has pulled over the past few months has me wondering if they're actually trying to start a shareholder revolt.

I think I got it. I think it's them trying to show good faith to the "steam only fans" (I think it must be what blood artist was trying to say)

I mean, if you think about it they get the short end of the stick, since not only do physical versions come with physical goods in the pack, but also retailers have all been given different pre order bonuses. And also, gog has the exclusive in game items for having an account. So this gives to steam buyers who might have felt left out.

Seems in the end its probably just a customer friendly move after all.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Got a question about changing platform.
I've pre-ordered on GOG in dec 2019, but I don't know if GOG is going to support the DualSense, or even the DualShock controller natively, so I want to step over to Steam.
Do you think it's a bad idea? Do I lose any pre-order bonus?

I could also use third party apps like DS4Windows and Durazno...

Top Bottom