Workaround preload for physical/retail copies?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vronos

Forum regular
Hi there,

I wanted to run this idea by people to see if this is a possible solution to the lack of a preload for everyone who preordered a physical copy/the Collector’s Edition/plans on buying a retail copy upon release:

Since all of the above come with GOG codes anyway, could we — in order to be able to preload — purchase a digital copy on GOG, preload, refund the digital version and once we get our codes from the physical version, use our code to then get it back so to speak? That way we would have the game already downloaded and get it to play immediately like everyone else.

This topic matters a lot to me because where I live my Internet connection is fairly slow and given the ~70GB size would take me around 16 hours to download. And that’s assuming no loss of connection throughout which is another problem and unlikely for me. Being able to preload would therefore be a huge help and it would suck if despite purchasing the Collector’s Edition I would have a worse experience than everybody who didn’t and just bought it on Steam or Epic or whatever.

Thats classed as a misuse of the refund system, so I wouldn't recommend it, they can take away your right to get refunds if they deem you are mis using after all.

Damn, I never would have thought about solution like that. Nice workaround.
My guess was to buy preoder digitaly and phisical, and then sell to somebody one from phisical for little less then original price.

Since PC copies are digital only, then why not release it when preload starts?

I am proud to tell you that I came up with the best workaround:
Since I was too late to get the Collector's Edition for PC, I bought the CE for PS4.
Now I'm gonna make it an early holiday gift for a friend of mine who wants the game for his PS4.
And I already have pre-ordered it on PC.
Best of both worlds.
(If my friend didn't need it, I too would have sold it.)

Vronos

Forum regular
Thats classed as a misuse of the refund system
Where does it say this? I made sure to first read their refund policy and it says nothing of the sort. Do you have a source for this assertion?

Can maybe a moderator or GOG representative speak on this? I just feel like I should be able to preload this game that I spent the equivalent of over $260 on, is that too much to ask? Since no official option has been presented to me (e.g. allowing the already encrypted preload anyway and giving access to the unique decryption key once I enter my GOG code) I have to find an alternative somehow. I wouldn’t be coming up with workarounds like this if I was given another choice in the first place. And sorry, straight-up dropping another ~$70 on this game just to preload is not a viable option.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have the ability to preload. And start the possibility to unlock the game with the code on release day.

Where does it say this? I made sure to first read their refund policy and it says nothing of the sort. Do you have a source for this assertion?

Can maybe a moderator or GOG representative speak on this? I just feel like I should be able to preload this game that I spent the equivalent of over $260 on, is that too much to ask? Since no official option has been presented to me (e.g. allowing the already encrypted preload anyway and giving access to the unique decryption key once I enter my GOG code) I have to find an alternative somehow. I wouldn’t be coming up with workarounds like this if I was given another choice in the first place. And sorry, straight-up dropping another ~$70 on this game just to preload is not a viable option.

Read number 7

They will prob just straight up deny you the refund.what you are talking about is just a total abuse of the system.

Im sorry but reality is reality. You want to by physical for ce or other reason, you have to live with it.

Vronos

Forum regular
Nothing in there specifies this situation. I don’t see how this would be “total abuse”, as you put it. It’s not like you have to give a reason either so they would have no grounds to deny the refund in the first place.

Again, I am more than happy to have someone official comment on this. Can I ping people and if so, who would this concern?

Let it load during night, the game release thursday so it'll be ready for you to grind it during weekend.

Tho, if you need to get rid of 70bucks that bad, feel free to send them on my PayPal account.

Nothing in there specifies this situation. I don’t see how this would be “total abuse”, as you put it. It’s not like you have to give a reason either so they would have no grounds to deny the refund in the first place.

Again, I am more than happy to have someone official comment on this. Can I ping people and if so, who would this concern?

It pretty pretty much says what I have told you in clear terms..

Just be patient and download it on the day since you made your choice to buy it physically lol

Would be nice to be able to preload though... just imagine the traffic on Day 0 when everyone and their kitchen sink starts to download the game! Wouldn't be surprised if servers crash due to the load.

To put it even clearer.

Why does their refund policy exist? - to help you of a game is broken or not as advertised /working as intended.

Are they willing to help you if you bought a game you don't like? - yes, on a "case by case" basis, and ask you do your due diligence when making a purchase.

What are you saying you are planning to do? - buy a game with the specific intent to refund it

There you have it.

Read number 7

They will prob just straight up deny you the refund.what you are talking about is just a total abuse of the system.

Im sorry but reality is reality. You want to by physical for ce or other reason, you have to live with it.
Yeah I think this is the most likely result. Try it at your own risk.

And if I understand correctly once a game is refunded on GOG it gets deleted (read part 6 of the GOG refund policy), so if the OP goes through with this plan wouldn't he still have to in stall the game once he gets his physical version? This is what I could find after a short search on google. Apologies if I am incorrect.

Huh, I didn't even realise the physical edition for PC didn't come with discs - that would have been the obvious solution, but I guess CDPR dropped the ball on that one. With The Witcher 3, you got discs and a code, for example.

Retail PC players getting shafted aside, I pay the same price as you for ordering digital - you get to have shiny physical goodies, I get to preload (and there's even a chance that so do you, if your copy ships early, which happens in some cases).

Huh, I didn't even realise the physical edition for PC didn't come with discs - that would have been the obvious solution, but I guess CDPR dropped the ball on that one. With The Witcher 3, you got discs and a code, for example.

Retail PC players getting shafted aside, I pay the same price as you for ordering digital - you get to have shiny physical goodies, I get to preload (and there's even a chance that so do you, if your copy ships early, which happens in some cases).

Unrelated to this thread but trhey do come with discs! you dont get shafted. They include OST physical cds with the pc copies instead.

Unrelated to this thread but trhey do come with discs! you dont get shafted. They include OST physical cds with the pc copies instead.

See OP? You may not get the game discs to avoid the need to download a large amount of files, but at least you'll get to listen to the OST while you wait 16 hours.

What are you saying you are planning to do? - buy a game with the specific intent to refund it
Again: I need not state any intent for why I want it refunded in order to receive it within the specified time period. This is neither a requirement of theirs as per that policy nor is it even permissible under my country’s consumer protection laws concerning refunds — which they have to obey if they are to do business here. And as GOG’s policy explicitly states, they comply with regional laws (as well they should if they don’t want to get torn a new asshole, legally speaking).

I asked this question not because I care about whether or not this is ethical (it obviously is, no harm is done here) in anyone’s eyes, least of all some random passerby’s, but because I want to know if this was technically feasible, i.e. whether or not the preload files could be kept and “reused” once the game was reobtained via the included retail GOG code.

Speaking of which ...

And if I understand correctly once a game is refunded on GOG it gets deleted (read part 6 of the GOG refund policy), so if the OP goes through with this plan wouldn't he still have to in stall the game once he gets his physical version?
How would that work? Are preloads only possible via Galaxy? Because if not I don’t see how GOG would delete anything on my side. On the server/account side the game would obviously get deleted but that has no bearing on my local files. And even if it does require Galaxy and there did exist some deletion mechanism like that, I could just copy the preload files to another medium beforehand and move them back once I redeemed my retail GOG code, no?

Blame CDPR for asking the same price for a digital as for a physical copy. Besides, I most definitely did not pay the same price for my Collector’s Edition (which companies don’t release to lose money) as someone would for a digital copy.

Again: I need not state any intent for why I want it refunded in order to receive it within the specified time period.

I have refunded games via gog. To refund, they will ask you why.

I dont know about you, but most consumer protection laws only entitle you to refunds if things are defective or falsly advertised etc, you know generally they dont dont have to refund you simply because you changed your mind, let alone after you bought something specificly planning to refund it. I dont think consumer laws protect people who buy items with the intent to refund them. They are there to protect you as a customer, not let you fuck over businesses and cost them money.
Post automatically merged:

Blame CDPR for asking the same price for a digital as for a physical copy. Besides, I most definitely did not pay the same price for my Collector’s Edition (which companies don’t release to lose money) as someone would for a digital copy.

Do you not think the items you are recieving in the collectors edition is worth the money you are spending? Or extra items in the standard physical? Do you think games should cost less when you buy it from the store simply because you can not pre-load when you happen to pre-order? Should the physical be cheaper pre order and then raised once the game releases since you cant preload? This is non-sensicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom