My take on the problem with Nilfgaard

+
Nilfgaard has bad bronzes all around even with soft removal or displacements you can manage Magne Divisions and the other soldiers has big conditions for their effect. The soldier package can get some love I'm ok with that.

I feel like Nilfgaard rely too much on Masquerade ball in most decks or Damien De La Tour to replay their leader ability to actually make plays for themselves.

The support to the milling package is downright boring for the next expansion. The Viper Witchers, Vilgefortz and Tibor Eggebracht are enough for me for badly design cards.

Nilfgaard has bad bronzes all around even with soft removal or displacements you can manage Magne Divisions and the other soldiers has big conditions for their effect. The soldier package can get some love I'm ok with that.

I feel like Nilfgaard rely too much on Masquerade ball in most decks or Damien De La Tour to replay their leader ability to actually make plays for themselves.

The support to the milling package is downright boring for the next expansion. The Viper Witchers, Vilgefortz and Tibor Eggebracht are enough for me for badly design cards.
Why are those badly designed? And what mill support? Not a single card added this expansion actually mills, it would be detrimental to Kolgrim.

Which soldier package? This tag is used in a larger part of the faction covering everything from spy synergy, lock synergy, assimilate, swarm, tactics even reverse boosts. This is like NR asking for buffs to their "soldier package" or MO wanting a "beast package" buff. It's nondescriptive.
The only thing I can think of is Crossbowman which functions exactly like a SK Warriors card in which case why not just play that archetype instead?

And lastly what makes highly technical cards downright boring and said soldier package exciting?

Last edited:
The Soldier "package" would be Ramonko and the gang. Crossbowman are the only Soldiers that actually combo. Recruit and the alba support a somewhat Soldier-archetype but only crossbows have a long term combo/engine value. Problem is the powercreep. As long as fangs could poison everything bad value did not matter, after the nerf of IF and viel one just realizes Dames are the only NG bronze capable of delivering huge points. Bronze core is just week. either you go by very low floor engines and get ripped by every deck that packs dmg like warriors and all those spellatels or go pointslammy and regret ever beeing born with your sad 7/5 (with downside) compeeting 7/4 and 8/5 (+combo). Then you got your golds left. Hey VvM still murders but sorry lost all tempo after the nerf. Ramonko still a good card but all targets are powercrept or lack sinergy. So the list goes on.
All allready told but I wanna join, too. ;)

I must tell, though all that weeks voting against Vincents nerfs allong a handfull of others here, argueing "NG needs a good Vincent or they end up in the gutter - don't touch him even when we all hate him" gives me some satisfaction.
(And the fact that now NG beeing an underdog got me in to it finally. I play lockdown spies now and sometimes i shrug my head, sometimes I hate myself ;D)

The Soldier "package" would be Ramonko and the gang. Crossbowman are the only Soldiers that actually combo. Recruit and the alba support a somewhat Soldier-archetype but only crossbows have a long term combo/engine value. Problem is the powercreep. As long as fangs could poison everything bad value did not matter, after the nerf of IF and viel one just realizes Dames are the only NG bronze capable of delivering huge points. Bronze core is just week. either you go by very low floor engines and get ripped by every deck that packs dmg like warriors and all those spellatels or go pointslammy and regret ever beeing born with your sad 7/5 (with downside) compeeting 7/4 and 8/5 (+combo). Then you got your golds left. Hey VvM still murders but sorry lost all tempo after the nerf. Ramonko still a good card but all targets are powercrept or lack sinergy. So the list goes on.
All allready told but I wanna join, too. ;)

I must tell, though all that weeks voting against Vincents nerfs allong a handfull of others here, argueing "NG needs a good Vincent or they end up in the gutter - don't touch him even when we all hate him" gives me some satisfaction.
(And the fact that now NG beeing an underdog got me in to it finally. I play lockdown spies now and sometimes i shrug my head, sometimes I hate myself ;D)
Yes, but the only thing you'd accomplish by adding more support to this playstyle would be giving NG a more pointslam+ping playstyle, this is not what this faction is about. What purpose would this serve when there's already a similar playstyle in SK and NR? You don't see Magic players complain Blue is too complex and that it should be more like Green. This is nonsense, just play Green instead then.
I do agree that NG should have a proper Imperial Army archetype as well, but it needs to be established in an adequately complex manner so that it fits the faction. Ramon into Crossbowman and then just spamming whatever soldier you can find isn't that.

Sure. I wasn't voting I'm just talkin ;)

the Soldier package is boring as hell and as you mentioned their are enough factions with a similar and better developed branch. In fact I have no love for this equallistion af factions but my hope was lost forever when they started to print 5p removal specials for everybody. here I still stand and say Alzurs thunder is a generic card that doesn't need copies in every color of the rainbow. I don't now how to fix NG ... perhaps their new approach could give some fresh air. I honestly love it if there is a "bad boy" faction to go against but people seemed to complain enough that its gone and no use of shedding a tear.
Was by far more entertaining whacking ball decks at the right moment then trying to play catch up with that boring OH.

To be honest there is only one thing to left to say: screw you cdpr! just release the expansion this WEEKEND! allready and not at a fricking tuesday. Who the hell has time on tuesdays?

Bronze core is just week. either you go by very low floor engines and get ripped by every deck that packs dmg like warriors and all those spellatels or go pointslammy and regret ever beeing born with your sad 7/5 (with downside) compeeting 7/4 and 8/5 (+combo).
You described the situation perfectly, this is literally what's happening with NG bronzes. Now everything rests upon the buffs to already existing cards, which is a very optimistic outlook considering previous changes to bronzes (vicovaro going from unplayable to unplayable, etc)

Why are those badly designed? And what mill support? Not a single card added this expansion actually mills, it would be detrimental to Kolgrim.

Which soldier package? This tag is used in a larger part of the faction covering everything from spy synergy, lock synergy, assimilate, swarm, tactics even reverse boosts. This is like NR asking for buffs to their "soldier package" or MO wanting a "beast package" buff. It's nondescriptive.
The only thing I can think of is Crossbowman which functions exactly like a SK Warriors card in which case why not just play that archetype instead?

And lastly what makes highly technical cards downright boring and said soldier package exciting?

What I meant by 'milling' it's consuming your oponents deck. That strategy is based on hoping you destroy their key cards without regarding what they are playing and hoping they run tutor card to make them brick their hand on later rounds to finish with tigor. On first round they low roll several times destroying 1/15 of your deck then 1/14 and then 1/13

I mean there are less cards to play on gwent but still playing viper witchers is mostly luck based and I'm not a fan of that, there's already enough chances to take with the drawings and managing the mulligans for each round.

Being more proactive in a different way that destroying decks. Ard crossbowman, tortoise, NG knight and Ramon Tyrconnel. The rest are for locks, assimilate or one point engine like magne or pikeman. Maybe add some bleeding support for the slave theme or an extra point in armor for those ard soldiers. Braathens getting buffed is great spies are cool themed.

I guess new Braathens is "nerfed even more" Braathens. :think:
They made him very niche, so he will see even less plays. :-/

I guess new Braathens is "nerfed even more" Braathens. :think:
They made him very niche, so he will see even less plays. :-/
Not really. Informant the most important Braathens target is already included in most decks for Artorius Vigo.
All NG players do is complain these days, even when getting major buffs. I wonder whether they want true balance or just an overpowered faction.

Last edited:

ya1

Forum regular
RIP Brathens lol it's not playable now outside assimilate. And in assimilate, it's an Informant with a body. Nobody puts other bronze spies in deck because they are not good enough to waste a slot.

I mean, seriously... LOVE?

Not really. Informant the most important Braathens target is already included in most decks for Artorius Vigo.

And those that didn't have Vigo? (Also, that's not true, hyperthin had no use for any spies, only assimilate uses a bronze spy, and only the one).

RIP Brathens lol it's not playable now outside assimilate. And in assimilate, it's an Informant with a body. Nobody puts other bronze spies in deck because they are not good enough to waste a slot.

I mean, seriously... LOVE?

And those that didn't have Vigo? (Also, that's not true, hyperthin had no use for any spies, only assimilate uses a bronze spy, and only the one).
Hyperthin has no use for Braathens in the first place, what's your point? I guess if you really want to add him Informant is always a nice inclusion for Vigo anyway in case you thinned both Hunting Pack and Impera R1 without him.

The Braathens buff helps the two archetypes most reliant on him which are spies and assimilate but it can be used in other decks as well.

Having Braathens create disloyal units wouldn't be sustainable long-term if they were to add more disloyal bronzes, I think they realized this.

ya1

Forum regular
The Braathens buff helps the two archetypes most reliant on him which are spies and assimilate but it can be used in other decks as well.

Nobody ever use any bronze spies outside Assimilate. In Assimilate, only Informants are used. Bronze spies are just bad. Not worth a slot. Brathens is now Informant with a body for Assimilate only.

By the by, Assimilate just lost the gold mainstay Portal...

Having Braathens create disloyal units wouldn't be sustainable long-term if they were to add more disloyal bronzes, I think they realized this.

Lol there already is Vigo. Also, why not? Adding more bronze spies would have made the old Bratheens less consistent.
Post automatically merged:

Everyone's ignoring that Emissary is now a 6 for 4

Yay, so 1 point less shame in the world of 7-8 for 4s.

Everyone's ignoring that Emissary is now a 6 for 4
It's a real buff and a good one at that so they can't whine about it just like the rest of the NG buffs this patch.
It seems it's more fun to pretend Braathens was this universal autoinclude carrying the entire faction and that his buffs are somehow nerfs.

Yay, so 1 point less shame in the world of 7-8 for 4s.
Those 7 for 4s have conditions like Devotion or being slow. 6 for 4 immediately with no condition is absolutely respectable and playable, mate.
Also the Coup buff is huge

assimilate
Did you play Assimilate enough? I mean if you did you should know that it often happens that you forced to play Braathens into damage or boost. So if you don't want to brick your "new" Braathens you should place at least 1 more spy in your deck which steals an important slot. I don't think it's a good trade.
If Informants would able to copy units any time, then yes, it would seem like a buff for Assimilate.
Post automatically merged:

Having Braathens create disloyal units wouldn't be sustainable long-term if they were to add more disloyal bronzes
That's a good point thou.

You just made me realize how this “nerf” might be an actual buff in the future as you could avoid Braathens pulling bad options by not including them in your deck.

Top Bottom