So stats are tied to clothing

+
I'm gonna dress however I want, honestly

If I dies, I dies lol
Yeah, I'm gonna join you on that one.

Don't get me wrong, that's one of the few points that disappointed me about the game. I'm trully not a fan of stats bound to outfit however, I'm a Soulsborne veteran, played all of Fromsoft games and I never, ever looked like a clown (I even remember not wearing helmets while playing DkS so I can see my character's face....That I spent hours to create lol).

So, yeah, I've got to manage my priorities and between survival and fashion, the choice is simple....That will be fashion lol

I'll need to see a lot more details on just how much stats vary between different clothing choices & see what they look like .... Especially if there's various upgrading options available! :-/

Guest 4406876

So, yeah, I've got to manage my priorities and between survival and fashion, the choice is simple....That will be fashion lol
The only stat I'm interested in is "COOOOOOL" XD

Yeah it's a bummer really. The "upgrade whatever piece of clothing you want" sounded really good but for some reason they changed it so now clown season is on if you are going for best stats and it seems on hard you really have to look on the stats.

Hope they change it in some future patch.

I have a feeling that there is some bigwig in CDPR who is making decisions and they think that part of an RPG is have to 500 different pieces of clothing/armor with different stats and properties and looks and player is supposed to sort through all of that without any sorting or filtering offered - just to find the best thing they could wear? This incredibly annoying feature is what they THINK is part of an RPG experience?

Doesn't this sound like it? This is Witchers Alchemy all over again. Nobody living today cares for this level of complexity and lack of depth. No other game does it this way this modern age.

Also they seem to completely ignore how FRIKKEN MASSIVE thing customization is in todays games. There are AAA games whose entire monetization system is based on NOTHING but cosmetics. Overwatch for example. This should tell how much players want to look the way they want.

Guest 4406876

It would be much easier peraphs to be able to transfer stats from a piece of clothing to another? Or introduce them in a form of perk instead of tied to clothing that you have to activate and change when in your apartment?

Looks versus item stats was always going to be a trade-off.

I fully get the people here wanting to rock whatever outfit makes them look the coolest without feeling they are gimping themselves on stats. I fall in this camp in most games as well.

However, I also get the argument that full ballistic armor should have some sort of combat advantage over an evening dress. In much the same way a LMG should feel more powerful than a handgun, but you want to avoid the gunkata-fan feeling gimped by choosing the cool gun over the big gun.

These problems are very much part of the PnP as well. When running a game it is a constant balance to have reasons why characters would not carry longarms with them when walking the streets downtown. There is no mechanical disadvantage to it, but unless you make MaxTac a concern most people would carry the biggest gun they could get their hands on.

I fully get the people here wanting to rock whatever outfit makes them look the coolest without feeling they are gimping themselves on stats. I fall in this camp in most games as well.

However, I also get the argument that full ballistic armor should have some sort of combat advantage over an evening dress. In much the same way a LMG should feel more powerful than a handgun, but you want to avoid the gunkata-fan feeling gimped by choosing the cool gun over the big gun.

These problems are very much part of the PnP as well. When running a game it is a constant balance to have reasons why characters would not carry longarms with them when walking the streets downtown. There is no mechanical disadvantage to it, but unless you make MaxTac a concern most people would carry the biggest gun they could get their hands on.
I get your point but even then, it doesn't prevent them from giving more freedom on how your outfit looks like.

An exemple would have been to be able to "transform" the look of your existing outfit with another of the same category (so, for exemple, make a base visual for an armor but give the player an option to go to a store and buy a new skin for that armour). I mean, that's kind of the beauty of making a futuristic game, you can go wild on the technology front.

It doesn't have to be that we can change anything into anything else. An armor can remain an armor and a suit a suit but just give more freedom on one given visual so the player is not "forced" to assemble a set of gear that don't match with each other.

At the very least, they could have given us the ability to change the color theme of each outfit (that alone would have been way better than nothing).

I don't know, I feel like CDPR missed something here and it doesn't strike me as being that hard either, whether you want to keep bonuses on outfits or not.

Yeah, yeah: taking things from the PnP only when it goes their way, and not the rest of the time...:facepalm:

However, I also get the argument that full ballistic armor should have some sort of combat advantage over an evening dress.

But the fixed stats system doesn't guarantee that an evening dress wouldn't offer more armor than a full ballistic armor.
It could just as well be fixed that way. It just means that we have to examine every piece of clothing and armor separately, and mistakes and oversights are extremely likely to happen. If you think you should wear full body plate to go with high resistances, you can do that if the skins are separated from stats. Its up to you, just like everything else. It is not really an argument.

One system offers freedom of choice and the other doesn't. Thats the short of it.

One system offers freedom of choice and the other doesn't. Thats the short of it.

Yeah, I don't really buy the "players should have maximum freedom always"-argument. Sometimes it is important to the tone a game is going for that items behave in logical ways that obey the laws of physics.

I get that it is very much personal preference, but I would not want the "freedom" to make Geralt a blonde either.

I did not expect differently from the gameplay videos it was evident cyberpunk2077 were following the looter-shooter tropes. Also this is majorly inconsistent with the source material or you know... Just another things of many.

What's wrong with RPGs from the 90s exactly?

Really? Ok, how about
Racist and sexist depictions of genders and ethnic groups, including dark skin portrayed as "always chaotic evil" or at least primitive compared to white skin. Goldmoon and Riverwind say hi.

Loads of painfully annoying game mechanics that were put in because of technical limitations, which shouldn't really be so at this modern day and age. Simply poor design that needed to evolve.

chaotic.jpg

Last edited:
Stats tied to equipment? What is this, an RPG? Pfft.
Well, yes but it doesn't mean things are set into stone, you can make improvements on the original formulae.
Look at JRPG for exemple, battles used to be a bunch of characters facing a bunch of enemies, taking their turn one after the other but now it evolved into semi real time and most people prefere that.

I mean, it's kind of the point of making a new game, you don't try to clone previous games but make better ones with more polished mechanics.

Top Bottom