What do you think is gonna be first to get a hotfix?

+

ya1

Forum regular
Hey there!

So the expansion brings some exciting cards, and from the point of view of creativity might be the best expansion so far in spite of the low amount of cards. But some of those cards seem (emphasis on tentative language, dear mods) totally broken. What do you think will have to go down first and why. Here's my list, top to bottom from the reveal page. Also, I'd like to say that it's just how I understand the wording on the cards. I might be wrong. Pls correct me if that's the case.

1. Idarran of Ulivo. 6 for 8, answer-or-die. Triples the Larvea. Doubles the Caranthir spawn (sick). Doubles Koshchey payoffs. Gives to scenario chapters. (Also but less mainstreamy, extra Revenant, extra Commando from Roche, Adelia and all 10p spawners, Mobilization...) Etc. Unprecedented engine value and threat for 8. I feel like this could've been like 12 prov and nobody would say it's too much.

2. Dol Dhu Lokke. Am I reading this right? Is it MO's own Corruption/Yen +2 value for 8 + a bronze unit? For 8? Do I need better glasses?

3. Koshchey. People did spreadsheets with this card's value. It's insane.

4. Cat Witcher. 4 for 5 with 1-2/turn engine AND synergies. Too much for 5. Keep in mind that it also has a chance to set up Rebukes and other dmg removal. Also, this new ST is gonna have lots of engines demanding an answer.

5. Sabertooth Tiger. I'm not sure about this. Does it change back to points even when it doesn't find a target? If so, I think it's too much. It steals red coin plus 2 dmg to anything. This may lead to those situations common from ST-PC where you couldn't set up anything on blue coin. Just that it also works on blue coin itself and can't be answered except Heatwave.

6. Gezras of Leida. What's the ceiling on this guy? 50? 100? 150? ;) Also, the expansion brings zero late round wide punish. (Except the NR's Ranger but that's way too meme.)

7. Arhnagadd. So does it go with the Sukrus or not? If it does, it completely disables almost all proactive decks in the game. Important to remember is that SK has the Sigdrifa so every card that needs to stick can potentially demand double removal.

Possibly Snowdrop. SK-UR Lippy doesn't need more love, really (already got 2 provision buff for some wicked reason). This possibly gives +14 points to their R1 potential and de-bricks the Maidens and sets up better discards/own boosts. This deck is already broken when it doesn't brick to win R1 and set up carryover. Some people disagree but I think such roulette decks are a scourge on the game. But at least they're roulette. This decreases the roulette factor by A LOT and gives lots of points at the same time. (Also, there is Tactical Decision...)

Last edited:
2. Dol Dhu Lokke. Am I reading this right? Is it MO's own Corruption/Yen +2 value for 8 + a bronze unit? For 8? Do I need better glasses?
I agree with most of those, but you're mistaken when it comes to "Dol Dhu Lokke". I'm fairly certain that its Order ability only affects cards still in your deck and not anything on the field. It's basically Fisher King except it always moves the highest power unit instead of you getting to choose.

I agree that the description is ambiguous, and these sorts of problems wouldn't be so prevalent if they only had someone knowledgeable about card games on their staff who could proofread the cards; it would also help them to make fewer cards that are so obviously broken. Gwent is definitely the least coherent card game I've ever played when it comes to the wording of card effects.

Probably, only Arnaghad / Sukrus needs a nerf. Especially because many new decks run late into him and will be frustrated.
Maybe Idarran is also very strong and might be limited to bronzes.

For the reminder, I do not see it as problematic
- Koschchey -> Kikimora Queen has way more point potential
- Cat witcher: Cutup Lackey is maybe a comparable one. But you are right: You have to play a crime card to utilize him. So maybe cat witcher should get one less body.
- Sabertooth tiger: Do not see a problem at all with this unit. It´s not so easy to have only 1 opponent unit in a row
- Gezras of Leyda: it´s so easy to play around him (have nothing on Melee, remove him with many damage cards)

Hey there!

So the expansion brings some exciting cards, and from the point of view of creativity might be the best expansion so far in spite of the low amount of cards. But some of those cards seem (emphasis on tentative language, dear mods) totally broken. What do you think will have to go down first and why. Here's my list, top to bottom from the reveal page. Also, I'd like to say that it's just how I understand the wording on the cards. I might be wrong. Pls correct me if that's the case.

1. Idarran of Ulivo. 6 for 8, answer-or-die. Triples the Larvea. Doubles the Caranthir spawn (sick). Doubles Koshchey payoffs. Gives to scenario chapters. (Also but less mainstreamy, extra Revenant, extra Commando from Roche, Adelia and all 10p spawners, Mobilization...) Etc. Unprecedented engine value and threat for 8. I feel like this could've been like 12 prov and nobody would say it's too much.

3. Koshchey. People did spreadsheets with this card's value. It's insane.

4. Cat Witcher. 4 for 5 with 1-2/turn engine AND synergies. Too much for 5. Keep in mind that it also has a chance to set up Rebukes and other dmg removal. Also, this new ST is gonna have lots of engines demanding an answer.

5. Sabertooth Tiger. I'm not sure about this. Does it change back to points even when it doesn't find a target? If so, I think it's too much. It steals red coin plus 2 dmg to anything. This may lead to those situations common from ST-PC where you couldn't set up anything on blue coin. Just that it also works on blue coin itself and can't be answered except Heatwave.

6. Gezras of Leida. What's the ceiling on this guy? 50? 100? 150? ;) Also, the expansion brings zero late round wide punish. (Except the NR's Ranger but that's way too meme.)

7. Arhnagadd. So does it go with the Sukrus or not? If it does, it completely disables almost all proactive decks in the game. Important to remember is that SK has the Sigdrifa so every card that needs to stick can potentially demand double removal.

Possibly Snowdrop. SK-UR Lippy doesn't need more love, really (already got 2 provision buff for some wicked reason). This possibly gives +14 points to their R1 potential and de-bricks the Maidens and sets up better discards/own boosts. This deck is already broken when it doesn't brick to win R1 and set up carryover. Some people disagree but I think such roulette decks are a scourge on the game. But at least they're roulette. This decreases the roulette factor by A LOT and gives lots of points at the same time. (Also, there is Tactical Decision...)
1. yes most likely going to be OP
2. barely worth 8p imo, but has somewhat synergy with imlerith (lol)
3. yep
4. dont think so. it could be very good but I dont see this archetype being super good. I could be wrong.
5. how does it steal red coin? to me this card looks rather lackluster. as soon as your opponent manages to have 2 cards in a row it does nothing. it only triggers at the start of YOUR round instead of the opponents, if it was opponents round then yes this card would be a bit insane.
6. again, will need to see how this archetype performs overall. not convinced it will be able to compete with the old T1 decks.
7. this card is insane. with sukrus this would be duel+shield on absolute steroids and you could ofc give him shield as well if you dont want to play sukrus. your opponent basically can play heatwave or just discard his units at this point.

ya1

Forum regular
Cat Witcher: Yeah, sorry, I overlooked it only damages the opposite row, not any row. It's ok.

MO location: So it's a Fisher King 2.0, not Curse of Corrupted Yennefer Invocation?

Gezras: Just played some homebrew movement. Card is bonkers.

Tiger: Yeah, sorry, card bricks hard vs. MO.

I don’t expect a hot fix will occur because a card is OP ( if it did, Bear Witcher Adept would be my choice as an obviously OP 7 for 4 with outstanding synergies). I don’t expect a hot fix for a broken combo (or my vote would be Sukrus/Arnaghad). I don’t expect a hot fix because a card is broken unless that card is clearly swaying most matches (if it did, I would agree with the pick Iddaran as most likely to be broken). And I definitely don’t expect a hot fix because a card ruins strategy or fun in the game (if it did, I would pick Salamander, followed closely by the buffed Coup De Grace). Most likely, a hot fix will occur because a faction is broken — and my vote for that is ST movement. That archetype generates insane points already on a good draw with no opponent interference. The new cards add consistency and enough tools to withstand interference — as well as tools that interfere with the opponent. Gezras alone could carry a round, and packing enough removal to deal with Gezras and treant boar and Malena and Sentries and a defender and Cat Witchers and Cat Witcher Mentors and Dryad Matrons and.... is not reasonable if even possible. Which set of cards involved in this mess CDPR chooses to nerf requires a crystal ball.

No hotfix required, IMO. Heatwave and Geralt Yrden will solve the effects of most of the OP cards, just like before. And you just can't have too many OP cards effective at the same time.

I'd say it's the most balanced expansion in a while.

This is one part that didn't get much attention so far, thanks for mentioning it. I mean already Lippy decks were the most played SK decks, but you know, it wasn't as OP as warriors so they had to "fix" that lol.

ya1

Forum regular
Geralt Yrden will solve the effects of most of the OP cards

Yeah... This whole movement archetype around Gezras, sorry, not while Yrden exists. They should seriously ban this card. It kills too many decks. Why even bother designing row stacking & boosting archetypes when this binary exploit of denying a whole archetype with a single card exists. It's really no fun to spend resources (luckily not money in my case) to craft a hyped deck just to realize that a single card denies the whole deck (should've known better lol). And all of that has been wasted - both on the player side and on the devs' side who just wasted time designing it. And it's really no fun to play it just too realize in the last turn that you never stood a chance because of Yrden. And you just wasted 15 minutes of your life on a non-game.

At least make a new dialogue option next to Thank You and Hurry Up: Do You Stack And Boost? I Have Yrden. You Can Forfeit And Save Time.

OK, now lets try SK and see... :coolstory:

Last edited:
Why even bother designing row stacking & boosting archetypes when this binary exploit of denying a whole archetype with a single card exists.

Yeah, there's a handful of cards that fall into this game-breaking category in my opinion. Yrden and Heatwave are the prime offenders with echo tutors my next most despised card group. I try not to play them myself, but at a certain point they become auto-include cards. Once all your opponents are playing them, you need to do so yourself or you simply cannot compete.

I'm especially getting tired of facing crappy decks that rely on Oneiromancy to tutor Igni, Yrden or Heatwave as finishers. I'd almost prefer to see a new category of card during deck building, similar to the Stratagem, where you can select only one of these high-end tech cards per deck.

Gwent is a great game that has lots of depth if you get rid of these unbalanced "get out of jail free" cards. There are some fantastic strategists out there that develop incredible decks using cards I would never consider playing - people for whom a simple GG does not seem to be nearly enough credit. Yet for every one of these players, there are dozens of sheep that just rely on the "I'll do nothing and then nuke them with one card" strategy.

I haven't had a chance to play yet (at work atm), but I've seen a video of a pretty clunky movement deck Ace of Plays was playing, and it looks completely nuts. It's like a more cerebral NR-Vis boost deck that dances all over your face. This is gonna be fun until that hotfix hits :D

Guest 4375874

Haven't played but double (Syanna) Salamander looks pretty viable for hotfix. Initially it seemed memey but SY defenders being so difficult to get around makes it very ....toxic :beer:

Fix Gezras of Leyda NOW, the card is totally nonsense and bugged. Been playing at seasonal and all needed is drop that card and automatically win. The card just heals all their stuff even if I have filled their rows with spies, that's totally unfair. Never complained about a card but this is totally ridiculous.

Because this is the Time of Complaints, aka first few days of a new content :D
Everybody and their grandchildren will shed crocodile tears after every proper beating from a new archetype - nothing surprising really. Broken this, fix that, etc. This is part of the healthy lifecycle of expansions.

However it won't be surprising if a hotfix will come eventually after a good 1-2 weeks of data - but I doubt any earlier.
Time will tell.

I've actually heard quite a lot of complaints about Viy.
From first impressions, this looks to me to be the biggest problem. OH decks really didn't need any improvement, but this card seems insane. Heatwave sounds like the ideal way to deal with it, but the OH leader ability means you never get a chance to take it out before it passes on its power and scuttles away into the deck again... It's like Detlaff HV on steroids!

From first impressions, this looks to me to be the biggest problem. OH decks really didn't need any improvement, but this card seems insane. Heatwave sounds like the ideal way to deal with it, but the OH leader ability means you never get a chance to take it out before it passes on its power and scuttles away into the deck again... It's like Detlaff HV on steroids!
I've run into that same issue a lot today. Seems like the only way to beat that deck is to have multiple tall punish, yrden is near useless as most of those players will alternate which row they play and consume, or have a NG deck that can hopefully draw it out from the deck.

Because this is the Time of Complaints, aka first few days of a new content :D
Everybody and their grandchildren will shed crocodile tears after every proper beating from a new archetype - nothing surprising really. Broken this, fix that, etc. This is part of the healthy lifecycle of expansions.

However it won't be surprising if a hotfix will come eventually after a good 1-2 weeks of data - but I doubt any earlier.
Time will tell.
There’s definitely nothing even slightly overpowered in this expansion; all you need is a couple of purifies for defenders and veiled units, a heatwave, scorch, curse of corruption, Regis higher vampire, rivia, and igni to deal with tall units, 2 lacerate, surrender, Yennefer Vengerberg, and Lambert sword master for wide/spawn strategies, rockslide and dark mirror for boosted engines, the four available 5 removal special cards for dangerous lower strength units, Yrden for those growing cards that slip through the cracks, and oneiromancy and Royal decree to help ensure access to necessary cards. If you like, you maybe should tech in Ihuarraquax for those troubling high provision cards (like VIY) which you otherwise cannot expose. After all, greedy decks that exclude necessary defenses deserve to lose.

Top Bottom