Key Remapping

+
Honestly at a loss for words. So disappointed that a simple thing like key binding prevents me from playing a game I've waited so long for, from a game dev I thought knew better.

Why would you not allow arrow keys binds? It's is beyond ridiculous. I have never played with anything other than arrow keys for movement and I am to old to learn new tricks.

I'm so disappointed in CDPR right now, I havent even seen the game they worked so hard on as I've gone no further than the options screen.

And before some little smart arse chirps up, NO, wasd is not a option.

Last edited:
I'm not happy about it either but it's a AAA game that I don't think has launched across all time zones yet, so. This is why pre-ordering is bashed, because no matter how beloved a developer is, day one is going to be awful. Every time. Forever. Sometimes it's less awful but it's always less than optimal. I'm disabled as well and can't play due to the way I control the mouse registers as a controller by the game, so I'll just have to wait. Some games they don't even patch that out, I'm just praying they will with this one.
I am pretty sure PC wise it's out everywhere now, if not, then the day 0/1 (depending who ask) patch is out, so it represents the launch game. Games go through testing, checking for problems, and they have just ignored a large amount of players simply because don't use WASD. Any AAA game in 2020 should have full remapping. Of course day one is full of problems, half of that is what makes it fun to me, testing and breaking the game before it's stable, but the fact a big chunk of players can't even play is totally different from a bad day. It's a broken game.

I can see that I am not the only one with this problem, I have been using my setup with the F key being "Strafe Right" or "Move Right" since Quake was the hot cake. And I would believe there's alot of of us old school PC Gamers here that was looking forward to this day, a videogame version of the legendary Cyberpunk!
But sadly that dream was shattered quickly for me since I haven't even made it through the menu yet stuck with key bindings. That wasn't exactly how I pictured the launchday to be, but I decided that it might be best to make a refund since the system requirements are very steep anyhow. Maybe I check the game out again in a couple of months, IF key bindings are looked over. Until then I wont spend 60 euro on a game that I can't even enjoy.

Yeah, sorry CDPR, but this is a NONO.
Keys need to be rebindable, specially arrowkeys (left handed players).
I practically cant play this, Autohotkey doesnt work and Corsair iCue cuts out the second you press more than uparrow (like left or right to steer your vehicle).

This needs to be changed, asap.
Post automatically merged:

I might have found a temp fix for this.
I edited the ini file and made it read only, that worked (so far).
UserSettings.json can be found here %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077
Open with Notepad++ or text editor.
Look for the "SettingsLocomotion" part of it.

"value": "IK_Up",
"default_value": "IK_W"

"value": "IK_Down",
"default_value": "IK_S"

"value": "IK_Left",
"default_value": "IK_A"

"value": "IK_Right",
"default_value": "IK_D"

Should look like this.
Replace IK_W value with IK_Up and so on, upper and lower case need to be correct or they wont work.
Save file - make read only - hope it doesnt cause any issues along the way, seems to work for me (for now)

You sir, are a legend.

Keeps telling me about a corrupt file when I try to save ingame changes, but I can live with that.

I still have to move my hand to the other side of the keyboard to open/use because of the stupid 'F' key, but will just have to tolerate that I guess as bad game design.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure PC wise it's out everywhere now, if not, then the day 0/1 (depending who ask) patch is out, so it represents the launch game. Games go through testing, checking for problems, and they have just ignored a large amount of players simply because don't use WASD. Any AAA game in 2020 should have full remapping. Of course day one is full of problems, half of that is what makes it fun to me, testing and breaking the game before it's stable, but the fact a big chunk of players can't even play is totally different from a bad day. It's a broken game.
Makes You wonder what playerbase they choosed for beta testing this game, doesn't it? Did really noone mention this issue or was everyone using WASD or a controller? Maybe there was more family and friends testing it then actual gamers ;)

Welp, thats the way i always play, always have. Im in my forties and i aint changing now.

That was fun. Havent even started the game.
Same lol, well at least we did enjoy the character creating menu haha

Its nice, that in AAA I cant use my own keybindings. You can legit remap nothing xD. Im done, refunded until CDPR fix this.

Its nice, that in AAA I cant use my own keybindings. You can legit remap nothing xD. Im done, refunded until CDPR fix this.
Also when i did remap them in cyberpunk files, IJKL is absolutelly unplayable cuz i cant rebind those menus that are originally on IJKL. This is disgusting. AAA :)

Makes You wonder what playerbase they choosed for beta testing this game, doesn't it? Did really noone mention this issue or was everyone using WASD or a controller? Maybe there was more family and friends testing it then actual gamers ;)

Same lol, well at least we did enjoy the character creating menu haha

Yeah I bet you are right. It shocks me how hard it is to often find out who studios offered game tests too and what makes them pick you. I know many a disabled person would happily test games for accessibility, for simply a copy of the game and if even 5 of disabled people with a mix of condition's, a few testers from each country so get the mix of keyboards and cultures and simply making sure you pick a diverse team of testers (which to me sounds common sense and quite simple especially if games make easier to sign up to test) then you would have a much better game at launch or at least be able to publicly say, we have these issues we are fixing, we will let you know. Rather than silence.

Yeah, sorry CDPR, but this is a NONO.
Keys need to be rebindable, specially arrowkeys (left handed players).
I practically cant play this, Autohotkey doesnt work and Corsair iCue cuts out the second you press more than uparrow (like left or right to steer your vehicle).

This needs to be changed, asap.

UserSettings.json can be found here %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

Should look like this.
Replace IK_W value with IK_Up and so on, upper and lower case need to be correct or they wont work.
Save file - make read only - hope it doesnt cause any issues along the way, seems to work for me (for now)

Thanks, will try this - gave up last night. Simple key binding messed up CDPR, comeon

Left Handed:
I use IJKL instead of WASD. Key mapping fails because of conflict, but there are no keys shown mapped on IJKL.
Controller feels really great by the way. Just really sucks to aim.

Yup...I'm with ya there. My had placement is on the right side of the keyboard as well and I use my mouse buttons for in-game movement. The development team was so short sighted by hardcoding specific keys. Been using my same setup on every game for 40 years and CD Projekt fumbles the ball with crap like this. Just got a refund from Steam. I can't play the game the way they have it currently. The friggin C key is coded to duck behind a wall and I have to look at the keyboard every time I need to use it and by the time I look up I'm dead or less than half health. The C isn't even close to where my hand placement is not to mention the F key which I use as my reload key on every game. CD Projekt gets an F for sure with this game.

I use a weird control scheme, esdf instead of wasd. I can't bind any keys to F other than exit vehicle. I always get an error saying there is an error binding to that key. I saw there isn't a choice the confirm key which is by default set to F so I'm guessing that is the issue.

I 100% support this. I can actually type so ESDF is naturally my control scheme. And not being able to remop the F key sucks. I really affects my ability to enjoy the game as I'm spending so much time trying to remap my brain because I can't remop the game.

FIX THIS PLEASE!!

Dodging
Double tapping the movement keys makes strafing left to right really challenging. I just wish we could map a key to dodging or make the response very quick for the double tap. Without it makes movement feel really funky. In general, I wish the key mapping was much more customizable so I could map the keys to what feels comfortable to me. Would make the game feel alot less frustrating. Honestly, the fact that you can't remap controls is really weird. Other games from like 10 plus years ago can remap keys way better then this.. C'mon Y'all :(

I 100% support this. I can actually type so ESDF is naturally my control scheme. And not being able to remop the F key sucks. I really affects my ability to enjoy the game as I'm spending so much time trying to remap my brain because I can't remop the game.

FIX THIS PLEASE!!
To be fair I can also "actually type" lol and prefer wsad

"Keyboard and mouse controls

Remapping of controls for keyboard and mouse is almost fully allowed, with the exception of menu shortcuts.
[Key Bindings]"

Totally Unacceptable in 2020.
Even less in 2077.

Now seriously, it may have been less problematic if said keys weren't WASD. A significant part of the world is using french type AZERTY keyboards instead of the QWERTY ones. I hear the German ones are different too. So right now, from the gauges on the character creation screens to the conversation menus (some of which are timed), don't work with the keys shown on the screen and are not remappable.

Some big developers now provide a "QWERTY/AZERTY" choice of keyboard style, but apparently CDP isn't indy :).

This worked for me ..

Should look like this.

I can't say I'm all that surprised the game has been released with problems attached to it .. I almost considered the game unplayable for me too .. I'm also a Left handed player who has used the Arrow Keys for movement for over 20 years of gaming .. but, it does surprise me that a game which has been in development for over 7 years by a developer with a good reputation who should know better than to ignore or overlook such a basic functional mechanic of PC user interaction.

So, with just a little bit of manual fiddling about, follow the instructions above exactly you should bind/rebind any key you like.

I haven't tested the F 'Interaction' key yet .. I tend to use End for this action, so, I'll see how I go.

Top Bottom