Key Remapping

+
Is there a way to change the menu keys like Inventory or Character sheet to something else besides what they are hard coded to? I would love to put Inventory on Mouse4 or Mouse5 (thumb mouse keys) so I don't have to reach across the damn keyboard to access them every time.
I put Mouse_4 on, but in the game menu, and not in the inputUserMappings.xml file. Put this button on something in the game, and you will find out how it is written in the file, after which ctrl + c ctrl + v.

Ha I see I'm not the only one with remapping problems, being left handed on a computer is a real pain not to be able to use the arrow keys to strafe or move backward/forward, also I map the reload on mouse 4 with no effect, I'll check @casedistorted solution tomorrow.
I hope they patch it soon anyway because I've been alternating joypad mouse and keyboard with no neural implant IRL making it difficult some times ;-)
Great game so far

Hmm, changing the in-game Key Bindings for Reload to the Mouse4 key does indeed work for me, though I messed with inputUserMappings.XML a bit too since there is

<mapping name="Reload_Button" type="Button" >
<button id="IK_R" overridableUI="reload"/>
<button id="IK_Pad_X_SQUARE" />
</mapping>

and I tried changing IK_R to IK_Mouse4 but that didn't seem to work. Using in-game key bindings menu did work (default is R and changed it to Mouse4 and everything was good) but let me know how everything goes!

I put Mouse_4 on, but in the game menu, and not in the inputUserMappings.xml file. Put this button on something in the game, and you will find out how it is written in the file, after which ctrl + c ctrl + v.

I did indeed figure out how to change Inventory open to mouse5. My only problem is you can't use mouse4 button to close the inventory screen again, it will only open it. Seems like a massive oversight by CDPR and I hope they fix it. Maybe for now I'll just create a custom mouse profile using Razer's software to change Mouse5 or Mouse4 button to the i/inventory key so I can open and close using the same key. This seems like an easier solution if you have mouse button editing software for the time being. It seems that Inventory screen and Open Inventory are two separate key bindings (I and O keys respectively) so you can change the O key binding but you cannot change the I key from what I've found.

I typed up my methods in a post on page 17.

Last edited:
Holy Moly CD Project RED. How did you manage to mess up a single thing like key remapping up so badly ?
Whoever in your organization came up with this fail of a keybind disaster should be fired immediately.
Have just asked Steam for a refund of your game because of the whole keymapping.
This is not okay for a 60 euro AAA title and you should feel ashamed that you didnt catch this oversight in beta testing. You should be even more ashamed, if you did and decided not to do anyhting about it.

Seriously! there are 1000 excellent games/models CDPR could follow in terms of designing keymapping and keyboard controls. every single AAA game on PC allows player to FULLY customize any function to any key while having well planned/layout keys, to begin with. Are you trying to invent the wheel again? it's a failure so far I must say. Please adhere to everyone's advice and fix this in priority.

I created this account to make a post about key re binding. i'll paste my steam discussion here. I'll open up another thread when I hit 10 posts for more visibility and i'll be looking for other platforms to post on to reach cd project red on this issue.

Ability to change more keybinds please!
The unaddresable " F " key , Middle Mouse Button and Double tap to dodge really mess up my gameplay experience and it would be EXTREMELY helpful if I could choose which keys to use for these actions on my own!!

My middle mouse button does not work so I have to disassemble any clothes that I put on to get rid of them if I have nothing else I want to were, seeing as the game will not let me rebind that key!

Double tap directional buttons to dodge makes combat feel haphazard and unrewarding to me! When I have to lift my finger from the key to press it again and dodge I lose any rythm that I previously had while trying to move around an enemy! Using a another key + the directional key to dodge is much better, like the witcher 3! AndI can't think of any games which I have played that didn't offer this feature!
:drownerbrain:

The " F " key as the action button is not the optimal choice! I've talked to people on reddit that feel the same way about this! As the most widely used input for the game this location is way too close to the directional keys! I would need to have a childs hands to comfortably use this key so often! Any game that binds an input to this key I ALWAYS rebind to something a bit further away for ease of use!

I feel the same way about how the " C " key is bound, but I may have been able to rebind that one. I didn't get to test it while playing yesterday. But if it's not able to be rebound being able to do so would make my gameplay experience infinitely better! Same with the other inputs that I mentioned.

Thank you for your time, and I sincerely hope that these issues can be addressed. I know my gameplay experience would benefit from it greatly!
:nekkerheart:

Well this sucks, can't believe we can't rebind our keys to a user setting that is much better than the default. Refunded my purchase and unfortunately can't buy until I can customize controls. If they can't get the controls right you have to wonder how much else they broke in the game...

Posting for first time on thread to report bug with two of the key mappings (v1.0.3)

I was digging around the "userInputMappings.xml" file and found that button 8 <KI_8> and 9 <KI_9> which correspond to mapping "prior_sub_menu" and "next_sub_menu" do not work in any menus throughout the game.
Same with the equivalent <K_Pad_LeftTrigger> and <IK_Pad_RightTrigger> on the xbox one controller connected to my PC.

Leftie here, using the IJKL-region. Or would be using, if it was possible to re-bind anything useful.

Tried using a controller as it worked ok in Witcher 3 (I actually bought the controller after fighting with its keybinding issues), but the game seems to be mostly in first person and using a controller in FP feels extremely cumbersome and inaccurate compared to kb+m. Especially in gun fights, o boy is it hard to hit anything.

Btw I see a troubling decline in PC input support with these multiplatform games, other recent examples being Borderlands 3 and Gears 5 with their hardcoded wasd and push-to-talk and whatnot keys.

Full disclosure; I'm not physically impaired and I'm right handed.

I use the center of the keyboard as my home row (FGHJ*) because it is the most comfortable and allows me to utilize the most keys, comfortably. So imagine my surprise when I couldn't change the F key to jump or the J key to strafe right or I to reload or M to use the phone, etc.

Yes, it's possible to use a text editor to modify the 'inputUserMappings.xml' file. But this is too much work to modify or adjust to have something as basic as to play the game for me.

I'm not even the most important case regarding this keymapping fiasco. There are people that MUST have these keys or the ability to use specific 3rd party software to allow them to play the game. If CDPR isn't going to fix this for someone like me, then they MUST do it for those who are actually physically impaired, period.

Context regarding FGHJ*.
F = Jump
G = Left
H = Back
J = Right
* (RMB) = Forward

Having not the ability to re-map ALL control keys for a player who uses a mouse and keyboard to play, as many players are, is like having a car without gas and brake pedals.
Regardless of handedness. the keyboard is a device that is not initially designed for gaming so any player MUST be able to fully re-map all the keys to their personal preference, otherwise, you might as well throw away the game.
Make a game work on PC or don't release it at all.

Borderlands 3
At least that game has the good sense to include a "disable controller" toggle so that people can use alternative input methods to customise their experience. That's what I'm hoping for.

It's heartening to see disabled people like myself in the comments. I don't really like to tout it because I'm just a gamer, but in this case I'm glad people are comfortable sharing and asking for their fair chance at playing this game.

[...]

it's over hours since launch for me and this still has not been addressed anywhere by anyone from CDPR. Honestly it's disgraceful, in 2020 a game which doesn't have full keybinding, being called out and instead of a game dev saying yeah our bad, give us time, which would stop 99% of these posts if we just had a rough timeframe till patch. As said time and time again, we don't want much, just a game we can all enjoy, CDPR to actually acknowledge this issue themselves officially to us and promise us they will fix this, while offering refunds to those of us left unable to play who don't think it will improve. It's not complicated. Please CDPR listen to us today and lets make some progress so we can move on and all enjoy Night City.
Post automatically merged:

It's heartening to see disabled people like myself in the comments. I don't really like to tout it because I'm just a gamer, but in this case I'm glad people are comfortable sharing and asking for their fair chance at playing this game.

I agree people don't realize how many of us gamers are disabled, but given the escape it offers it makes sense. To me it's great seeing so many folk being visible but also from a legal standpoint, it shows clearly this is a discriminatory issue. I volunteered for a legal firm before and there is almost no way CDPR would walk away without giving compensation and fixing this issue if a case was filed.

But as said, it's great so many people are being open and proud of who they are and the fact they have a right to game too. all gamers need to be free to enjoy regardless of gender, ability, orientation, class, religion, race or otherwise. Gaming is for everyone, which CDPR use to be clear about. Let's hope we see progress asap

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

it's over hours since launch for me and this still has not been addressed anywhere by anyone from CDPR. Honestly it's disgraceful, in 2020 a game which doesn't have full keybinding, being called out and instead of a game dev saying yeah our bad, give us time, which would stop 99% of these posts if we just had a rough timeframe till patch. As said time and time again, we don't want much, just a game we can all enjoy, CDPR to actually acknowledge this issue themselves officially to us and promise us they will fix this, while offering refunds to those of us left unable to play who don't think it will improve. It's not complicated. Please CDPR listen to us today and lets make some progress so we can move on and all enjoy Night City.
Sounds like this is not a priority to them which is irrational. To even begin with the game on PC with a mouse and keyboard, the first step is to be able to map keys.

[...]

The devs almost never respond unless there's a certain patch for an issue incoming. But I can assure you they've seen this thread and know the issue exists. Have you tried altering the 'InputUserMapping' file in Config? Nexus might have a mod up for this as well.

Hi, great job on the game CDPR, huge slap in the face in terms of night city design. Game play seems to be great too.
But for now my experience is ruined by not being able to map arrow keys for moving (maybe oldschool but that's the way I play since 25 years).
As other if I map arrow keys I also need to remap F key too.
Hope you will patch it soon.
I'll mod the XML until this limitation is corrected.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like this is not a priority to them which is irrational. To even begin with the game on PC with a mouse and keyboard, the first step is to be able to map keys.
I totally agree. They don't care. I am trying to word things constructively but waking up this morning and seeing CDPR tweet about a missed Copyright song and not even anything more from mods here nvm CDPR has really upset me. I was really hoping we were getting somewhere yesterday especially when woke up and saw 18 pages (4 more than when went offline) but there is nothing. I understand they will be a bit scared of a reply but all we ask is they fix it asap. Not that much to ask especially because what you say being a PC game, you allow custom key binds. Then add the whole, Forum mods/ suppposed message from devs (until hear from devs directly I don't care what is said personally) don't edit files just pay for a controller shows how out of touch they are. Not everyone makes a fortune making games for a living, many are working class, and hard off since the pandemic. This was supposed to be an escape, but instead it's just telling us, we don't matter. Big F CDPR

Top Bottom