Overheating Issues

+
Checked it all 8 cores used on 65%+ the moment I run the game.

It seems odd that it would load the CPU that much, but also it suggests that you do have a cooling issue. Unless the CPU is pegged at 90%+ for extended amounts of time, a decent cooler / thermal paste should keep the CPU well under 100c.

You may want to take off your cooler, reapply paste and then remount, then see if the temps are doing well.

Also, there's plenty of CPU Burn-In tests out there, to verify that your cooling is working well. Under normal conditions, loading the CPU should not get the CPU up/over 100c unless there is a cooling issue.

Give Prime95 a try. I can run my CPU at 100% load for extended periods with this testing tool and my cooling will keep it in the 80c max, and it only gets there after the cooling gets saturated. It begins at around 60c and slowly climbs after the cooling apparatus gets soaked with heat.

Check out this page: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test-cpu-pc-guide,5461-2.html

Open Task Manager and then click on the Performance tab. Now, click on CPU, and then on the CPU graph on the right, right-click the graph and select Change Graph To / Logical Processors.

Look at the CPU load while the game is running. Is it completely loading one CPU core, and not others? How is the load spread across your cores?

I ask, becasue maybe your temp/load graph is only showing a single core that is loaded/hot, and not the overall CPU load / temp. Mainly I say that because Thermal Protection on CPUs will often down-throttle or even power off the PC if the CPU runs above 100c.
Appears to be running evenly across all 8 cores. Best guess is either the game is somehow over working my CPU, or my liquid cooling device isn't doing its job properly. It sounds like it's running, but I guess I can't say for certain.

It
It seems odd that it would load the CPU that much, but also it suggests that you do have a cooling issue. Unless the CPU is pegged at 90%+ for extended amounts of time, a decent cooler / thermal paste should keep the CPU well under 100c.

You may want to take off your cooler, reapply paste and then remount, then see if the temps are doing well.

Also, there's plenty of CPU Burn-In tests out there, to verify that your cooling is working well. Under normal conditions, loading the CPU should not get the CPU up/over 100c unless there is a cooling issue.

Give Prime95 a try. I can run my CPU at 100% load for extended periods with this testing tool and my cooling will keep it in the 80c max, and it only gets there after the cooling gets saturated. It begins at around 60c and slowly climbs after the cooling apparatus gets soaked with heat.

Check out this page: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test-cpu-pc-guide,5461-2.html
It suggest I don't have any cooling issue. As no other game can heat my cpu above 40c.
By when I run cyberpunk it uses 80-90% constantly so ofc after hour or two it starts overheating.
So no I don't want to change my new cooler. Or do you really think multiple people in this thread with almost same top tier pc configurations suddenly have broken coolers?

It

It suggest I don't have any cooling issue. As no other game can heat my cpu above 40c.
By when I run cyberpunk it uses 80-90% constantly so ofc after hour or two it starts overheating.
So no I don't want to change my new cooler. Or do you really think multiple people in this thread with almost same top tier pc configurations suddenly have broken coolers?
Regardless of how your CPU is reaching 60+% load, doing so reveals that your cooling is not able to handle your CPU running at a high load. A game cannot invent a new form of heat. A CPU, loaded, gets hot. Running continusly at a high load means the CPU will get very hot. Cooling is the only way to handle that. Now, why the game loads it so much is a problem with the game, but having a CPU that cannot run under load without overheating means you have a cooling issue.

Get water-cooling for both your GPU and CPU

I have a 560 mm radiator for my CPU and another 560 mm for my gpu

I am having the same issue. I run the I7 9700k with a 2060 and my cpu temp jumps up to 90-95C (hitting 100+ at times) within a few minutes into the game. I've have gone through EVERYTHING, blew the ba-jebus out of the inside, checked all the fans, water cooler isn't blocked any where, everything is up to date, all cores are running, just everything is fine. But this game just wants to have a bonfire with my CPU currently.

Have same trouble here

i9-9900kf and water cooling
doom, anno 1800, and so on - my CPU have 30-40% loading and ~50c temp

Cyberpunk gives it 80-100% load and 80+ C

At the same time, the GPU is loaded by 10-30% according to reports

It seems there is a trend all of us have Intel 9xxx series cpu and nvidia 20xx series gpu.
So it looks like software issue with this type of hardware or cdproject tries to mine bitcoins on our machines idk.

Last edited:
It seems there is a trend all of us have Intel 9xxx series cpu and nvidia 20xx series gpu.
So it looks like software issue with this type of hardware or cdproject tries to mine bitcoins on our machines idk.

nope. 3080 onboard

I've been experiencing exactly the same issue.

I've been getting BSOD's constantly which I then realised it's because my cpu is overheating.

I changed my fan curve to run at 65% @ 70 degrees and I've also removed my overclock.
Temps now sit between 65-80 and it's fixed the crashing. I think it was the OC.

Spec:
i9900k
Vision 3080
63Gb 3200mhz
Samsung Evo SSD

Even though my system is pretty old, i7 5820k, it doesnt get any warmer than ~60c.

However all 6 cores do average around 75% with 80% being max at first load of a savegame, while playing.

GPU seems to work as intended, in this case an Asus rog strix 2060 OC 6GB edition, all ultra settings, DLSS - Balanced but no raytracing (and depth of field off - as it makes the game super ugly/grainy)
Gets to maybe 48c and cools off almost immediately back to 37c in like a second once i close the game, very weird, never quite seen that in any game to be honest.

But nothing is overheating as far as i can tell.

If your CPU is overheating then you have a cooling issue in your machine - period :) . It is nothing to do with the game other than it is making demands on your system that your current cooling cannot supply.

It sounds very much like your thermal compound paste needs replacing. If your fans are working but they are not clearing the heat then it is probably because that heat is not getting transferred from your CPU to the heatsink efficiently.

Your CPU and GPU should always be able to run at 100% forever without overheating. Anything else means you do not have sufficient cooling - get it sorted before something expensive dies! :)

DC9V

Forum veteran
If your CPU is overheating then you have a cooling issue in your machine - period
I disagree. If CP2077 is the only title in your library that ramps up the CPU that much, it's clearly a problem on software side. It might be caused by the player tho, maybe some weird BIOS settings, or insufficient fan curves.

If your CPU is overheating then you have a cooling issue in your machine - period :) . It is nothing to do with the game other than it is making demands on your system that your current cooling cannot supply.

See I would believe that if I wasn't running stuff like the new Yakuza on ultra at 1440 and my cpu doesn't break 70. Or I run Witcher 3 at 4k and its the same thing.

aaaSans titre.jpg

YOUR GAME DOESNT WORK
WE ARE MANY TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM !!
NO ITS NOT OUR COMPUTER !!!
TALK AND FIX IT FAST

TOP 5 COMPANY IN YOUR COUNTRY
BILLIONS ON STOCK MARKETS
ONE YEAR OF REPORT
YOU DELIVER AN UNPLAYABLE GAME
IF IM YOUR BOSS I SEND YOU TO THE TRIBUNAL

YOUR GAME DOESNT WORK AND IS IN BETA VERSION
REFUND, TALK, GIVE AN ETA, AND FIX IT !
WE PAID !

GO TALK FFS
OMG IS THERE EVEN AN ENGINEER FROM CDPR WHO COULD TALK ???
JUST SAYING OK WE NOTED WE WORK ON IT WE POST A FIX SOON ??
TO HARD ?

FIX THE GPU USAGE FFS

all the specs are clear in this screen
gpu and cpu usage are low, who cares about my config
We are MANY to have the same problem, with a lot of different cpu and gpus
Game is out since 24h, we can't play, not a single reaction except an useless tutorial for "boosting fps", what are they hopîng ?

sounds very much like your thermal compound paste needs replacing. If your fans are working but they are not clearing the heat then it is probably because that heat is not getting transferred from your CPU to the heatsink efficiently.

comrade. I buy my PC 2 weeks before CP release. It has water-cooling on CPU. And fresh paste, I believe in it.

I testing this config on new Doom, on Anno 1800 (oh, how this little bastards loves my GPU), Farcry 5, rdr2. And no one of this game doesn't load my CPU higher than 40-50%
CP devouring all and ask for more. And crushing.

I have theory - CDPR optimizes game for most popular segment - i5-i7, 1050 - 1080. 20 and 30 series and i9 - rare enough in community.
Waiting for the patch =/

It's sad by true cdpr could at least acknowledge the issue officially and say "ok guys we are working on it".

All people here have high tier pc configurations. All intel 9xxx series - cpu's which are much higher than recommended settings and game still melts them. While friend of mine plays on mid tier Ryzen on high graphics settings with 30% cpu utilization.
I checked other forums a lot of people have same issue. It's something horribly wrong with game optimization.

Top Bottom