PC in game settings not affecting fps at all

+
Hey guys,

I've been having a strange issue with my game (GOG version). My max fps is 34 in game and 44 in the menus, with dips into 20fps territory and occasional 10fps. Now the problem lies in the fact that nothing I change is affecting the performance of the game at all. I have the same fps with all the settings on ultra and 1440p as well as everything on ultra low and the resolution set to 1024*768... Same max fps of 34, with very frequent dips to around 20 and occasional drops to 10 fps.

Its like the game settings do absolutely nothing (even though you can see that everything changed when you're in the game). I'm on the latest AMD drivers (v20.12.1)

Does anyone else have a similar situation?

Hardware:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU:ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM:32.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1589MHz (16-18-18-36)
MOBO:ASRock AB350 Pro4 (AM4)
STORAGE: 953GB ADATA SX8200 SSD

Last edited:
Using RTX 2060 and same things you said apply for me too (expect low fps cause of dlss) game is so badly optimized that except a few graphic options are just useless and has no impact to performance somehow

Hey guys,

I've been having a strange issue with my game (GOG version). My max fps is 34 in game and 44 in the menus, with dips into 20fps territory and occasional 10fps. Now the problem lies in the fact that nothing I change is affecting the performance of the game at all. I have the same fps with all the settings on ultra and 1440p as well as everything on ultra low and the resolution set to 1024*768... Same max fps of 34, with very frequent dips to around 20 and occasional drops to 10 fps.

Its like the game settings do absolutely nothing (even though you can see that everything changed when you're in the game). I'm on the latest AMD drivers (v20.12.1)

Does anyone else have a similar situation?

Hardware:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU:ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM:32.0GB @ 1186MHz (17-17-17-39)
MOBO:ASRock AB350 Pro4 (AM4)
STORAGE: 953GB ADATA SX8200 SSD
Strange I have the exact same GPU chip same drivers but mine's a Gigabyte OC. Able to reach 60fps 1440p after setting from ultra to high in game though usually a bit lower (was 30 fps ish before slightly higher). Maybe it's your CPU or RAM? I'm running 16 GB 3600MHz 16-19-19-38 with a 3600 non X cpu. also you did try changing the post processing fx right? I'm also running it from a crucial P1 m.2 nvme drive but that shouldn't be the problem. Edit: Did you try dynamic fidelity cas or whatever it's called (amd's not dlss sharpening thing in the game settings)?

I've changed every possible setting, nothing is changing the actual fps. Also I have a friend with almost the same hardware setup as me (only difference is the 3600 CPU) and he has 70+ fps on 1080p on ultra, so it must be something with the CPU, though the CPU usage is never above 55%

I've changed every possible setting, nothing is changing the actual fps. Also I have a friend with almost the same hardware setup as me (only difference is the 3600 CPU) and he has 70+ fps on 1080p on ultra, so it must be something with the CPU, though the CPU usage is never above 55%
what about ram? your speeds don't look like it's hitting modern kit jdec rated speeds (nvm xmp)

It's a 3200MHz kingston hyperx kit, set to the xmp settings that were pre-configured, however it's not getting over 35% usage, I'd be more inclined to think it has something to do with the game rather than the hardware specs. Seems like nothing is being used like it should be.

It's a 3200MHz kingston hyperx kit, set to the xmp settings that were pre-configured, however it's not getting over 35% usage, I'd be more inclined to think it has something to do with the game rather than the hardware specs. Seems like nothing is being used like it should be.
though i don't doubt cpu optimization issues, just to be clear is that ram speed for both of you or just your friend? 1186MHz is not the same as 3200mHz mem clock or 1600 fclk

Yesterday I was hovering between 40 and 60 FPS with my dated AMD 290X video card - played for about 4 hours.

Today, after resuming the game, the FPS are hovering around 10 and lower. Nothing changed... Every other game runs exactly the same except for this one. (just tried Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, perfectly smooth. Something funky's going on. At first I thought it was a save game causing it, so I started a new one - same result - sub 10 fps). About to try reinstalling the game, drivers and clearing out old configs/saves... this is ridiculous.

I wonder if it's an AMD bug -latest drivers here too.

though i don't doubt cpu optimization issues, just to be clear is that ram speed for both of you or just your friend? 1186MHz is not the same as 3200mHz mem clock or 1600 fclk
Hahaha yeah, my bad, I didn't notice the values, I must've reset the bios at some point and the values went to the default ones and not xmp, now it's ok "32.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1589MHz (16-18-18-36)". Thanks for that, I completely missed that it reverted to default settings. However, the ram speed change did nothing in cyberpunk.

Hahaha yeah, my bad, I didn't notice the values, I must've reset the bios at some point and the values went to the default ones and not xmp, now it's ok "32.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1589MHz (16-18-18-36)". Thanks for that, I completely missed that it reverted to default settings. However, the ram speed change did nothing in cyberpunk.
glad i help you find that. guess it is cpu then

Yesterday I was hovering between 40 and 60 FPS with my dated AMD 290X video card - played for about 4 hours.

Today, after resuming the game, the FPS are hovering around 10 and lower. Nothing changed... Every other game runs exactly the same except for this one. (just tried Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, perfectly smooth. Something funky's going on. At first I thought it was a save game causing it, so I started a new one - same result - sub 10 fps). About to try reinstalling the game, drivers and clearing out old configs/saves... this is ridiculous.

maybe it finally died and the demands of the game in the current state killed it?

I'm not sure what's happening, I tried both with the newest driver and the one before, same thing. The curious thing is that its behaving like there's a cap on the fps (this fps "cap" reminds me of some games that run with lower fps while they're in the background, its like cyberpunk is forever in the background and wont unlock the exe and use the full resources at its disposal)

I see changes in my settings, but they are not really to heavy. MOst effects I see with RT changes and DLSS changes. The rest is pretty much a margin change of a couple of fps

I'm not sure what's happening, I tried both with the newest driver and the one before, same thing. The curious thing is that its behaving like there's a cap on the fps (this fps "cap" reminds me of some games that run with lower fps while they're in the background, its like cyberpunk is forever in the background and wont unlock the exe and use the full resources at its disposal)
wait could you just double check iwhat the target fps setting is set to? i remember it was set to 30 initially on mine

wait could you just double check iwhat the target fps setting is set to? i remember it was set to 30 initially on mine

It's the first thing I checked :) No difference when I set it to higher than 34 (which is max I'm getting in the game), it caps it like expected when I set it to lower than 34 though. Another curious thing is that the "uncapped" fps in the menus stays stuck on 44 fps, that's why I'm thinking it's somehow stuck in a "run in background" mode.

It's the first thing I checked :) No difference when I set it to higher than 34 (which is max I'm getting in the game), it caps it like expected when I set it to lower than 34 though. Another curious thing is that the "uncapped" fps in the menus stays stuck on 44 fps, that's why I'm thinking it's somehow stuck in a "run in background" mode.

But you use DLSS?

maybe it finally died and the demands of the game in the current state killed it?

Checked temps in real time, no throttling. So far:

1. Cyberpunk 2077 - ran between 40-60 fps, now under 10
2. RDR2 - ran between 50 and 60, now around 20
3. Doom Eternal - ran 60+, now around 20
4. Jedi Fallen Warrior - runs 60+, same as usual
5. The Outer Worlds - ran between 50-60 fps, same as usual

Either there's something wrong with the hardware with a specific API (DX12?) or the driver is fudged. The behavior is odd.

Could be - So far COD AW, SW Fallen Order and a couple of other games are working fine - smooth 60+ FPS. All recent games.
Doom Eternal, RDR2 and CP2077 are suddenly running like crap as of today...

Unless the DX12/Vulkan API is accessing some portion of the GPU that's now borked (highly unlikely), I'm leaning toward a driver corruption, or perhaps even a power supply issue (not enough power)... but I'm open to suggestions. It's very strange.

EDIT: sorry for the quasi double post. The previous one didn't show up when I refreshed.

Top Bottom