Cyberpunk 2077 User Reviews & Impressions

+
- first impressions
- not liking first person but dealing with it
- works good on my system no tech issues
- seems to be progressing very fast even with side quests think this will be very short game.
- don't like combat need less bullet sponge and some sort of tab targeting so can just lock on to enemy and push button.
- from what have read about romances other than Judy think game failed on this topic. ( cant comment on the complete Judy romance yet)
- don't like driving too hard to control.

... This is by far the most unpolished game I've ever played.
Have you ever played anything by Bethesda ? They have never fixed completely unplayable Skyrim on PS3 as far as I know :D Pretty much every game they release is a disaster and they even pretend all is fine and openly lie about it. CDPR at least admits issues and keeps fixing them even thought it takes some time.

Which is funny because it was never intended on being a next gen title until two delays later. Last gen was literally their target hardware and what the majority of the game was built around. It's embarrassing how bad they did
I actually think they kept adding more and more stuff and cool ideas into the game and kind of shifted their target platforms. Cyberpunk is here to stay for years after all while last gen consoles are being replaced as we speak.

I'm enjoying it.

I find the gameplay (and inventory) a little clunky, but I just need to learn it and 'git gud'.

I'm really taking my time, no hurry.

Expected more from Lifepaths. They are too short, not on the level of Dragon Age Origins. Also it seems a lot of things were left unfinished and underdeveloped. Bad AI, very few dialogue options, no walking key binds, not much interactivity in the open world (shops, barbers, clubs). I hope they'll continue development and add some QOL back in before trying to sell DLCs.

Expected more from Lifepaths. They are too short, not on the level of Dragon Age Origins. Also it seems a lot of things were left unfinished and underdeveloped. Bad AI, very few dialogue options, no walking key binds, not much interactivity in the open world (shops, barbers, clubs). I hope they'll continue development and add some QOL back in before trying to sell DLCs.
All that.

Lying, censorship and greed

I bought an uncensored game and received a 'first person' censored game. I am legally an adult, answerable for my legal acts and bought an advertised game that would be uncensored. We are in 2020 and not in the Middle Ages. I want what the company promised in absolutely all of its campaigns and advertisements. My country does not have legal restrictions for adults being imposed on the game (Brazil).

I've already harped on the lack of full nudity in game,( one of many gripes) in other threads, here is an example of some other things people are saying.
-Im playing as a Corpo, how did V get there, yet still know and even trust Jackie implicitly? Corpos and the riff raff don't get a long. Not a lot of background in an ORIGIN story, maybe it comes later
-Why do all the lifepaths after tutorial start in the same essentially the same spot? As a corpo Jackie could have been someone you only knew in passing and had to build up trust for example
-Missed opportunity to have origin be meaningful in the first mission after meeting with Dex(Minor spoilers incoming)

-You are dealing with Arisaka, the Corp that fucked you, yet know one finds out in the background check on you or mentions it, no option for V to want to get back at them after losing everything to them. Mission could definitely change the options on how it plays out, based on origin.
Granted I'm not far in, but the first big and obvious opportunity to have you background affect the game, is completely missed. Not at all like we were told or allowed to assume. Maybe it gets better later i don't know. But so far, the overall package is far from what we were promised.
Post automatically merged:

Lying, censorship and greed

I bought an uncensored game and received a 'first person' censored game. I am legally an adult, answerable for my legal acts and bought an advertised game that would be uncensored. We are in 2020 and not in the Middle Ages. I want what the company promised in absolutely all of its campaigns and advertisements. My country does not have legal restrictions for adults being imposed on the game (Brazil).
All this, posting similar things to this and agreeing with a lot of people everywhere, in hopes the CDPR can address at least some of these issues. They talk about immersive experience, but when you can't see yourself fully naked at home in the mirror or shower, that's a huge immersion breaker. Idk about you but I don't shower with underwear on.

I'm enjoying it.
Me too. There is a learning curve, as with all games, and not everything is working great... in some cases not even good. But I am liking the game.
The real problem is expectations and this is the fault of CD Project Red. For some time now all we have heard is "it's ready when it's ready", We are not going to release the game until we polish it. You built this up to be the great game ever, Next Gen... what was that saying, a bad released game is bad forever, but a buggy game can be fixed or something like that?? You pitched this as a GOTY and it is simply not.
In my opinion... to much hype for too long and you tried to do everything, Launching on all platforms... at the same time... well you see what happened.

You have accomplished what you set out to avoid, launching an average game with bugs and performance issues on all platforms.

All you and us can hope for now is a series of bug fixes and patches... Please hold off on DLC until the game is playable by more people and performance is better.

I've already harped on the lack of full nudity in game,( one of many gripes) in other threads, here is an example of some other things people are saying.
-Im playing as a Corpo, how did V get there, yet still know and even trust Jackie implicitly? Corpos and the riff raff don't get a long. Not a lot of background in an ORIGIN story, maybe it comes later
-Why do all the lifepaths after tutorial start in the same essentially the same spot? As a corpo Jackie could have been someone you only knew in passing and had to build up trust for example
-Missed opportunity to have origin be meaningful in the first mission after meeting with Dex(Minor spoilers incoming)

-You are dealing with Arisaka, the Corp that fucked you, yet know one finds out in the background check on you or mentions it, no option for V to want to get back at them after losing everything to them. Mission could definitely change the options on how it plays out, based on origin.
Granted I'm not far in, but the first big and obvious opportunity to have you background affect the game, is completely missed. Not at all like we were told or allowed to assume. Maybe it gets better later i don't know. But so far, the overall package is far from what we were promised.

My guess is that the lifepaths were add very late in development. Which is not good at all. CDPR needs to get better management

Also, is there any side activity that isn't a "job"? The "gameplay" trailer hinted at ways to spend your money and showed dancing, drinking, that kind of stuff (which were basically the time skip montage in the prologue), but is there any of it actually? Or was it just awful marketing deception?

I also have great concerns for gaming at large. It would have been wonderful if we got what we were sold, a revolutionary game with depth in all aspects, in a setting not many big games take on. But now I'm afraid developers will be afraid to even attempt a game like that now givin this bad release and reception. Could hurt gaming at large, rpgs, in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
I must say that I am getting more and more impressed with the game in all aspects:
- it runs well on gtx960
- I have not yet had any (mentionable) bugs. There's only NPC popping around the edges on the screen, but I scaled the crowd density to low anyway :D
- I increased graphics settings mostly to medium/high and even few on ultra and it still runs smoothly (I guess I am around 30+fps with no major drops)
- I found out that there's a map with many quests and content :D
- dialogues (in the main story) seem to be pretty personal and well thought out
- the locations are amazingly designed and have great detail
- effects, graphics, lighting,...are amazing
- the world has an unending design and detail - all those posters, graffiti, streets, tunnels, highways, all of the types of buildings, commercials, elevators, hacking targets, hell even streetlights, NPC activities, decoration meshes, items,...
- there are days 1.2,3 patches and drivers. CDPRs are extremely fast to release these :)

It's insane :D
I wonder how long it took just to set up V's apartment because it's all functioning, well designed, looks incredible,...
Hats down and I am excited to see how the story is gonna develop :sad:

I played now for around 20-25hrs.

My conclusion:
This game is not finished. It's either late alpha or early beta status.
The sheer number of things i personally found in my 2 days does not warrant any sentences like 'we didn't see/find this bug'.
It's just too many different things not working properly, not really thought through UI.

In my opinion this will be a good game in about 6 months to a year.

Don't make the mistake and think this was just bad luck. CDPR made a conscious decision to USE US AS BETA TESTERS and we PAID THEM FOR IT.

I'm a bit pissed, because i'm a software developer myself. But i would never deliver something like this. But that's maybe because i usually know my customers personally.

I really would like a statement of the devs and the upper management here in the forum. But (at least management) is probably counting our money right now.

To be clear, i'm not disappointed in the story (though sometimes has little depth), i'm disappointed in the quality of the execution and the lack of polishing.

'Lets make lots of money' - it seems even CDPR has fallen. A very sad day indeed.
Post automatically merged:

'Gold' just means the game was sent for pressing onto disk ahead of launch.

There are undeniably some bugs (I've not encountered anything particularly troublesome so far).

You're welcome to your view, but I find it a little too cynical and 'chicken little' of an opinion for my taste. The game has launched at the upper end of bugginess for a AAA title, but it's far from unprecedented and CDPR is far from unique.

I do think the 'hype train' is partly responsible for building up Cyberpunk and CDPR to a ridiculous degree.

It's just a game.

It's just a game studio.

So we should just accept the 'new normal' then?

No! I refuse!

It has not only 'launched at the upper end of bugginess', it also didn't get any polishing. As for the hype train, CDPR did their best to get the train running and keep it running, despite better knowledge. That's deceiving customers, nothing more.

Here's a list of what i personally found:

and here

This is not a finished product. When i alone find this many bugs/inconveniences in the game/games UI then there's something wrong with management at CDPR. They clearly have people there who don't understand the needs in software development and were too stingy to get a few more coders and some decent beta testers.
It was rush rush rush for the holiday sales, just get it out, else we will 'lose' money.

From now on i won't pre-order games anymore, not worth it. Not even CDPR releases.

Last edited:
Hey there,

After going on a gaming marathon session, I decided that the game was good enough that I will keep it and eventually go back, but not good enough that I would spend the following weeks finishing it like a favorite novel (like I did for Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Skyrim and Fallout 4)

On my Win 10 PC MSI GE66, the game runs quite smoothly (60~120FPS) on Ultra and I have only encountered 2 bugs which could be easily resolved by reloading saves. Hence, I will only be talking about the game when it works as intended. I won't talk about bugs as I feel they are another topic.

All in all, this game currently sits at a 6/10 for me (I am picky and perfectionist, yes). I do have hope that CDPR can salvage it if it knows how to prioritize development over marketing, and get back to its level of competency during the The Witcher 3

1. Story (main quest) is told in a good way for a scripted, interactive movie.

What I liked

- Everything feels personal and in-my-face.
- Yorinobu Arasaka and his father Saburo's relationship was depicted such that it pays the source material respect, and in this story, both men behaved exactly how I pictured them to behave based on the impression I got from CP2020 and beyond
- The depravity exploitation of human spirit and body is sufficiently tackled in this dystopian setting (Evelyn's relationship with Yorinobu), though I wished more like these were done

What I disliked
- The entire story is as linear as Fallout 4, in a worse way, such that I don't even see points of variation and deviation when I totally expect to.

- Most of the noteworthy moments are exactly those shown in the gameplay YouTube videos since 2018. Beyond that,

2. We're playing a fun game, but NOT role-playing it
What I liked

- The game keeps you informed what you should do minimally and provides clear targets in a brief, to-the-point way (in most cases)

What I disliked
- V is already pre-defined. You can't really change how s/he speaks. Sometimes, even what s/he speaks!! I thought this was a RPG?
Since the 48-min gameplay trailer in 2018, I have been theory-crafting several characters which have vastly different dispositions towards big, iconic people:

- A Nomad Male V who has Johnny Silverhand as his childhood idol.
- A Corpo Female V who, in a way, respects Saburo and wishes to team up with Yorinobu to make Arasaka a better company, whilst making herself the most powerful and influential woman in the Night City

There are several others more, but for simplicity, let's just stick with these 2.

Why do I do these?? Because I expected CP2077 to be a full-fledged RPG where you can go very far to define your own character.

- In Dragon Age: Origins, you can play as a female human nobility and eventually marry Alistair, a ex-Templar in exile with lineage of royal family, subsequently making yourself the Queen of the entire nation

- In Fallout 4, you can express that you already know certain important characters (in your last life before the amotic bombs) so that NPCs do not need to introduce other NPCs to you again whilst responding with some unique dialogues

- In Skyrim, when a dialogue only has 2 options, they are almost always meaningful opposites of each other:
(1) (A default) I agree with you / I will proceed with this quest with the exact instructions / Do the right thing
(2) (A deviant) I disagree with you / I want a fun but kind of evil approach/ Betray some people, like the NPC who gave you the quest / Do the selfish thing

- There is no option to say you know Johnny Silverhand because the narrative demands it. And guess what, the first time you meet your only dialogue option is to call him a "dick" right off the bat and tell him to "eat a bag of dicks". The first time you meet and only that!!!! That is NOT how I speak to people, and I certainly don't intend to speak that way to Johnny. But guess what, since the story needs it, you will hate Silverhand, right now, at this very moment because the game allows you to do only that.

- Turns out, those blue pills and red pills Misty gave you were just references, not plot items. You don't get to choose to take the blue or red. You just take the blue when the story tells you to.

- Your lifepath does not matter. Responding to Meredith with the Nomad option during the exchange (Act 1) makes no difference.

- Evelyn's fate is exactly the same in Act 1 and 2 regardless of how you responded to her proposal to betray Dexter.

- Dexter DeShawn and Jackie Welles both die early no matter what V does or says in Act 1.

- When there is only 2 dialogue options (which is most of the time), it is this:
(1) (Advance the story) What next?
(2) (Ask a question) Please repeat what you just said, using longer sentences and less jargons

And guess what, you only need to choose (1) because choosing (2) will almost always return you to choose (1) anyway.

Because we ultimately have little to no control over what will or won't happen in the story, this fundamentally undermines the RPG identity that this game asserts to have. The first few times when it happened in Act 1, I would think that's normal because it's supposedly a tutorial section, hence I'm okay with not making decisions that matter. When it continues to stay that way in Act 2 (6~10 hours in the game), I'd make the conclusion that it's just how the rest of the game will be like. And then the game does go ahead to verify that.

So even though it is in 1st-person all the time, it feels like somebody else's story. I'm just there to press [F] when asked.

3. Romances deliver only the bare minimum, severely lacking depth and width.

Romances in this game can be simply described as "Been there. Done that."

I would, obviously, criticize the overall cringe-worthy love/sex scenes across the board and the severe lack of options (for all genders involved), but I won't just yet. Because that is my point 5. Instead, I'm looking at the bigger problem here: the lack of impact and weight.

When I think a good romance in RPGs, I think about a fictional relationship that can change a playthrough a bit, such that the playthrough where the romance took place is memorable, and it made your character a better version of herself/himself.

You wouldn't just go up to someone, be nice to them and make the safely correct choices, then eventually s/he's yours. No. You can't just play it safe and expect your love interest to nod.

You'd have to observe and think: who s/he is, who s/he wants to be, what ideologies s/he represents, what kind of worlds s/he wants to build. What kind of life s/he will have your character live. It also has to have complexity like, if you push too hard/be too nice, it'd push her/him away, or s/he unexpectedly opens up to you about something when you least expect it.

There also needs to be an element of risk. So even with all the hard work you've invested into a love interest, there is still a chance that s/he will leave your side or worse, cease to be. This is important because then it'd encourage replayability and make people take this "side content" seriously, researching and discussing.

And sometimes hard (but really really good) romances in RPGs would require that you adjust your character's playstyle to suit that love interest of yours. Such that it is no longer about the singular you, but about the plural you. Because in more ways than one, that's also how many relationships in real life work.

So, good examples. I'm thinking about the following:
- In the first 3 Mass Effect games, with the notable exception of Liara T'Soni, most of the characters you romance can die. Sometimes even unpredictably so, if you later make a wrong choice. The "wrong" choices are not obvious all the time, so you'll need to pay attention to the story as much as you do whoever you romance. I'd say the same thing for Alistair in Dragon Age: Origins, as there are several risky moments in the endgame where he could either leave your side or straight up die.

- In Dragon Age: Origins, in order to have a remote chance of success at a relationship with Morrigan, you have to be sufficiently aggressive, call her out at times while still being clear about your respect for her. You'd also have to make a few morally questionable choices in order to make that romance reach its best possible outcome. Conversely, we have the bisexual Leliana, who, while liberal as far as genders go, is pretty judgmental when it comes to morality, so if you want your romance with her to work, you'd have to pretty much side with most if not all of the religious and moral factions in the game (except, in the end of the romance you also get to challenge the validity of her faith but that's its own thing).

- Even in Fallout 4, as barebone as its romances are, after you reach the romance stage with Cait, Danse, Preston, Piper, McCready, etc~~you'd still have to make sure your moral choices align with theirs, otherwise their affinity towards you will decrease and they might demand to take a break from you if you happen to do something they dislike while in a relationship.

So, back to our main subject. Most of you probably already know this, but for those who don't:

For non-binary people, you have exactly 1 option. Just 1. Take it or leave it.

- Heterosexual Male: Romance Panam Palmer. Or don't.

- Heterosexual Female: Romance River Ward. Or don't.

- Homosexual Male: Romance Kerry Eurodyne. Or don't

- Homosexual Female: Romance Judy Alvarez. Or don't.

Your lifepath also does not matter. Just pick the obviously correct options in dialogues and side with whoever you like and s/he's safely yours. That's it. No crisis moments. No meaningful augmentation to the story or re-focusing your narrative choices to suit your partner's.

I'm sorry, CDPR. But that's just. Boring.

Also.

Why is Meredith Stout just a fling in Act 1, when it has been heavily implied since 2018 that there is something tremendous related to her in the story???

Why isn't Arthur a romance option??

Why isn't Takemura a romance option?? He saved your life, and you saved his, too! There are very few more bonding moments than that.

Why isn't Mateo a romance option?? He's resourceful, tends the bar for The Moxes, seems pretty resourceful and is pretty hot (that's coming from a straight guy like me!!).

Also allow me quote someone else here:
Why didn't they just make them all BI. Then there really would be something for everyone.

So yeah, you see what my problems are. I feel this might be a topic on its own, so maybe i'll also take this to another thread or topic.

4. Side contents are aplenty and feels huge in quantity!! ...except, most of them are clones of each other.
- Ironically, most of the fun side quests (for me) are those that are shoved in my face when I have made some progress in the main quest. These can come in 2 forms:
* Someone giving you a phone call. Hey look!!! There is a side quest here!!
* Some NPC that "just so happen" to be along the way which you need to travel to progress the main quest. Oh look, a side quest!!

- The ones that I try to find through open-world exploration are mostly MMORPG-ish activities: Kill these bad guys, get paid; collect these many items, get paid. Oh, and also, get some XP. That's about it.

There is little reward to be had by traveling the beaten path to explore and find side contents, because you will mostly find mediocre ones. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having an open-world. Because the world isn't really so worth exploring, once you find out that most of the good stuffs are probably going to be notified to you anyways.

5. Censorship exists even in non-censored versions. The game feels like Teen (T)
As someone natively from Asia, a generally conservative place, let me just say this:
You don't wear clothes while doing pole dancing.

You don't.
Wear clothes.
While.
Pole.
Dancing.

If you do, you might get injured, falling off the pole and hurt your waist and legs. It'd be painful. Please tell that to the dancer in Japantown.

You also don't wear clothes while having sex.

You don't.
Wear clothes.
While.
Having.
Sex.

Please tell that to the joytoys and Evelyn while she's minding her business in The Clouds. By the way, there are only 2 joytoys you can engage with in the game: 1 male, 1 female. The scenes that occur with them feel also tagged on, motions are stiff and resemble nothing I'd expect from a company that created the revolutionary game that is The Witcher 3.

You also don't wear underwear. Please tell that to Kerry, and other men.
(Since I'm actually straight, I'm going to stop here and let people who prefer guys comment on this)

In more ways than one, Cyberpunk 2077 is like Mass Effect: Andromeda ---- a pretty-looking, extremely well-marketed game that I will go ahead and play when i feel like it, but won't praise as a masterpiece. There's that phantasmal version I conjured in my mind prior to the release: a perfect marriage of open-world and narrative-heavy gameplay that will change the game industry for the better~

But then hey, we live in a business world. And here is a game that pretty much plays it safe and sticks to the norm. In other words, it is just like an average game since 2015. I guess that's just okay.

Thanks for reading and take care. I hope you have fun in Night City

That it needed to be pushed back another four months so that you could have given us a complete game. I feel robbed.

First of all thank you CDPR for creating this game. It's great to see that there is a studio out there that cares about gamers and games they create and sell. Not to mention that you're a polish studio and compete or even lead with your games globally is a massive achievement (I am sure every Pole will share this sentiment). It's great that you invest so heavily in single player games, when everyone else is all about multiplayer, quick rinse and repeat gameplays and microtransactions. That's why I have been supporting you over the years (I own all of the Witcher games eventhough I only played for maybe an hour). I also applaud your stance on necessary delays and to my mind I wouldn't mind waiting longer and I hope in future you will not bend to shareholders and rush your projects. People can wait and will wait once they know you will deliver a quality product. You earned my trust and my support and I am sure a lot of people will share this view.

I only played the game for couple of hours, not really going too deep into the story. I love the music and the whole feel and mood that you managed to create. Once you master all the mechanics of the gameplay I am sure that it's going to be an amazing and immersive experience. Heck! I might even go and play the witcher games ! But for now I have to say I feel this launch has been rushed. There's lots of bugs even in the opening chapter of the game. You could've taken another 2-3 months to fix it all up and release then. I think from what I experienced so far in terms of the story it's a shame to spoil it with all the bugs and glitches. Jackie going through the closed doors into the lift, chopsticks floating in the air, weird model movements. It's not a deal breaker and I am sure you will fix all this and learn for your future projects but at the moments it's just a real shame to discover this amazing game with all these issues...

I am proud to say CDPR is from my own country and you still have my backing. Be what Blizzard used to be, it's not all about the money, make your games great, we will wait!

Screenshot (3).png

Top Bottom