RTX On but some mirrors don't have reflection???

+
Actually, I use RTX on only for photomode but I see something strange about mirror reflection. When in the backroom of bar there are 3 girls facing the mirror like doing their makeup but there is no reflection in that mirror??? I mean that's the most important think in RT Reflection more than the puddles in my opinion. I want the photo mode with the reflection but sadly this happened.

And there is one more, there is some glass that reflect something behind me but there is no my main player in the reflection. Its weird, come on CD Projekt I prefer RT on with real reflection more than RT Lighting with 3 setting (low, ultra, psycho)

Attachments

• 1091500_20201210202107_1.png
    1091500_20201210202107_1.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,134
Actually, I use RTX on only for photomode but I see something strange about mirror reflection. When in the backroom of bar there are 3 girls facing the mirror like doing their makeup but there is no reflection in that mirror??? I mean that's the most important think in RT Reflection more than the puddles in my opinion. I want the photo mode with the reflection but sadly this happened.

And there is one more, there is some glass that reflect something behind me but there is no my main player in the reflection. Its weird, come on CD Projekt I prefer RT on with real reflection more than RT Lighting with 3 setting (low, ultra, psycho)

Yeah, so this is what I came here to find out. Are the lack of reflections a glitch or is that a design choice? Because I'm just getting started, I'm playing on a PC with a 2080 and RTX on. The game is freaking gorgeous by the way... but I have not seen my character in a single reflection since the first mirror at the very beginning of the game. Is it supposed to be that way? Because it looks a little strange in such a beautiful world to walk in front of a shiny reflective surface and see.... nothing. In the combat tutorial I picked up an enemy to hide him... and the body was floating in air in the reflection... that's what made me think it was a glitch. Is that how it's supposed to be?

It's not a huge deal in the big picture of things... but it does break immersion a little.

Yeah, so this is what I came here to find out. Are the lack of reflections a glitch or is that a design choice? Because I'm just getting started, I'm playing on a PC with a 2080 and RTX on. The game is freaking gorgeous by the way... but I have not seen my character in a single reflection since the first mirror at the very beginning of the game. Is it supposed to be that way? Because it looks a little strange in such a beautiful world to walk in front of a shiny reflective surface and see.... nothing. In the combat tutorial I picked up an enemy to hide him... and the body was floating in air in the reflection... that's what made me think it was a glitch. Is that how it's supposed to be?

It's not a huge deal in the big picture of things... but it does break immersion a little.

Yeah man even watch dogs legion had the reflection of the main player character, I hope CD Projekt notice this issue because I use photomode for fun

This is by design from what I've seen. V will only show up in reflections when interacting with mirrors, not just looking at them.

I'm not sure why character reflections would be the straw that broke the camels back from a performance perspective.

Coming from playing Control this is quite disappointing. It looks like it might have the old school problem: when your model is not on screen, it doesn't exist. This is one of the issues of screen space reflections that ray tracing is supposed to fix.

This is by design from what I've seen. V will only show up in reflections when interacting with mirrors, not just looking at them.

I'm not sure why character reflections would be the straw that broke the camels back from a performance perspective.
If all mirrors were permanently "active" there would absolutely be a performance hit. If they only reflected you, it would look quite weird so they would have to reflect everything, which means doubling the rendering for every mirror.

There's a reason the mirror in your apartment is in a small closed in area. This game wouldn't be able to handle all of that at once. RTX 3090's already struggle with this game at times let alone the 2000 series and lower. So having mirrors require interaction is a good design choice, honestly.

Coming from playing Control this is quite disappointing. It looks like it might have the old school problem: when your model is not on screen, it doesn't exist. This is one of the issues of screen space reflections that ray tracing is supposed to fix.

That ain't it. Look down. Your entire body is there.

If it is a performance issue, then it should be a setting or dial to be able to turn it on/off or up/down. I mean, games like Spiderman on the PS5 and Watchdogs reflect the entire environment in the glass of all the windows. It should be possible to do.... my guess would be that since it's a 1st person game, the camera is in the head of the player character... so maybe doing that would make the model look strange in reflections so they took it out? Control reflects everything, but it's also 3rd person (same with Spiderman). I don't know, I'm just guessing and spit-balling here. My first question was if this was a bug that some were seeing or an intended 'feature'. Seems like it is by design.

Yeah man even watch dogs legion had the reflection of the main player character, I hope CD Projekt notice this issue because I use photomode for fun

Even the the last Spider-Man on PS5 has Miles Morales relfections with RT on.

Edit : should have read upside post ^^

Having a graphic setting option wouldn't really work yet since even 3090's struggle. But when you're in photo mode would be a great time to add a toggle for mirrors.

That ain't it. Look down. Your entire body is there.

When you look down it is, but that doesn't mean that it's being calculated within the scene when it's outside of your field of view, i.e. when you're not looking at it. That it's not present in raytraced reflections perhaps suggests that only models visible in the viewport are being taken account of. I guess that could reduce GPU load, but it's immersion breaking.

To back this hypothesis up, I tested a reflection in photo mode. In drone view, where you can see V, the reflection is there. In first person mode it is not.

Having a graphic setting option wouldn't really work yet since even 3090's struggle. But when you're in photo mode would be a great time to add a toggle for mirrors.

Who's saying 3090's are struggling? I have a 2080 and I'm at pretty high settings with RTX on and I'm getting 60+ fps...

Not sure why this was a design choice since most modern RT games have this. I feel like a vampire watching NPCs show on window panes and mirrors and my character doesn't. Just strange since we go through the effort of customizing our avatar only to rarely ever see it...

It is not a Performance Issue. To many Mirrors? That's not how it works. RTX has it in the name it's Ray tracing so it calculates rays in your View. I'm not quite sure but many of the Reflections you guys talk about here may actually be ssr or precalculated ones. Not having V reflect in many Glass Panes and reflective surfaces would not impact performance in any way. On the other hand. I think V how we experience her/him is rendered in a separate layer as Silanda pointed out. Not having V in reflections is not a bug. I hope that cdpr will fix this tho. But I know the struggle how a character that is played in first person will sometimes obscure the First person camera, which would be a major issue. You could bool the Character model to reflection rays tho, so you have the character model loaded but it would only be visible to reflection rays. But I'm not sure how well this would implement.

In corpo, in the bathroom you start in, there is a little room with a mirror and 3 people smoking. You see the reflections of the 3 people in the mirror, but not yourself.

Who's saying 3090's are struggling? I have a 2080 and I'm at pretty high settings with RTX on and I'm getting 60+ fps...
Ultra settings and no DLSS = struggle. Relying on DLSS isn't a good way to go about claiming it runs good. DLSS is mainly for longevity has a wide variety of quality scene to scene.

I have a 3080 eagle OC, i7-9700k, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz running mostly Ultra besides 1-2 tweaks to High @ 1440p and I've had even DLSS struggle hard in some scenes. Like when talking to those dudes to get the spiderbot my screen started looking like it was barely 720p. The garage door in the background turned into an escalator of intense jaggies.

Anyway, all I'm saying is CDPR is going for an overall amazing visual experience which means some cutbacks have to be made like removing full mirrors from the world and requiring interaction. There are a lot of reflective surfaces as it is, full mirrors on top would be insane to try and maintain a reasonable framerate.

I bet next round of GPUs the performance on ultra in this game will be relatively easy to maintain so I could see CDPR try to implement more in the future.
When you look down it is, but that doesn't mean that it's being calculated within the scene when it's outside of your field of view, i.e. when you're not looking at it. That it's not present in raytraced reflections perhaps suggests that only models visible in the viewport are being taken account of. I guess that could reduce GPU load, but it's immersion breaking.

To back this hypothesis up, I tested a reflection in photo mode. In drone view, where you can see V, the reflection is there. In first person mode it is not.

You're right. I'm playing more today and taking a look at reflections. When you come out of a mirror you can actually see your face dissapear leaving a low res raytraced reflection of your hair and body briefly before unloading that too. I imagine unloading the body for reflections was done to meet an at-launch performance goal. We may see full body reflections later down the line with more performance patches.
Post automatically merged:

It is not a Performance Issue. To many Mirrors? That's not how it works. RTX has it in the name it's Ray tracing so it calculates rays in your View. I'm not quite sure but many of the Reflections you guys talk about here may actually be ssr or precalculated ones. Not having V reflect in many Glass Panes and reflective surfaces would not impact performance in any way.
There's way too many things wrong with this I don't feel like typing it all.

To make this easy to understand, I suggest checking out Digital Foundry's video on Spiderman Miles Morales. It covers reflections really well and shows the different methods they use for them and how they layer SSR, raytracing, and cubemaps, along with limits in amount of reflections in reflections, comparing to PS4's original Spiderman, etc.

Also take into consideration this game was developed for cross-gen. If this was a purely, I guess current gen now, game then mirrors probably would have been done differently.

Everything has a cost. More reflective materials = more resources required = heavier to perform.

Last edited:

Yeah this is maybe the least they can do if their concern is about performance

First of all main character model is invisible for ray tracing. Unless it is switched mirror (which by the way display my character without hair), nothing reflects main character. In RARE occasions you can see main char casting shadow and it is cast without head. Pretty hilarious for sure :D
NPCs are reflected on glass and any glossy material.

Some news here, by editing .exe file we can turn ON TPP RT, basically that allow mirror, windows or water to reflect V. Bad news, V has an headache, and broken arms. There is no performance lost at all btw. Animation are totaly broken too for upper part of the body, but mostly arms.

unknown.png

Absolutely baffling that in a game with ray tracing, it's the only one I've played so far where you can't see your own reflection, absolutely ridiculous.
Post automatically merged:

Some news here, by editing .exe file we can turn ON TPP RT, basically that allow mirror, windows or water to reflect V. Bad news, V has an headache, and broken arms. There is no performance lost at all btw. Animation are totaly broken too for upper part of the body, but mostly arms.

View attachment 11078411
Wow, thank you so much for posting this, now I know why they are the only game with ray tracing to not reflect the character, they haven't even worked that out yet lol.

Wow, thank you so much for posting this, now I know why they are the only game with ray tracing to not reflect the character, they haven't even worked that out yet lol.

You're welcome, but yes there is no work to that so i think we can say it's intentional, that is sad. I dont think CDP gonna work on this.

Top Bottom