Screenshot says it all. 5 fps everything on Low

+
Untitled.jpg

cpu: intel 4790k @ 4.4ghz
gpu: radeon rx 570
ram: 8 gb
game running on its own ssd

running at 1080 with everything on the lowest possible settings, lowering the resolution to 720 netted me a whole 2 fps. tried windowed, borderless, and fullscreen with no changes. vsync on or off makes no difference. installed twice with this character being a test to rule out male v being an issue. im out of options....am i just one of the people that needs to refund the game and try again in 6 months?

edit: here is a YT video of someone with a weaker gfx card cpu running the game just fine.

Last edited:
Okay so, yes, there are some optimization issues with this game. your gpu is totally fine and should objectively be able to run the game. However, you most likely are hitting a CPU bottleneck. Yes, it has the GHZ, but your cpu was released in 2012 so you are most likely hitting a tech limit in that regard. 8 years is a long time in terms of cpu development and current stuff just blows it away. Obviously, not everyone wants or is able to go and swap out their motherboard and ram on short notice.

Also, I have been in your position when Witcher 3 released, my hardware at the time just couldn't do it

EDIT: In response to the video added via an edit, this definitely changes the situation. but that being said, your cpu is still holding you back on some level

thank you for your reply. i understand it has its age, however my hardware does fall right near the recommended specs for High settings, the cpu listed as being a 4790 base. Going off of that chart one would think i could run more than 5fps on low

Okay so, yes, there are some optimization issues with this game. your gpu is totally fine and should objectively be able to run the game. However, you most likely are hitting a CPU bottleneck. Yes, it has the GHZ, but your cpu was released in 2012 so you are most likely hitting a tech limit in that regard. 8 years is a long time in terms of cpu development and current stuff just blows it away. Obviously, not everyone wants or is able to go and swap out their motherboard and ram on short notice.

Also, I have been in your position when Witcher 3 released, my hardware at the time just couldn't do it

EDIT: In response to the video added via an edit, this definitely changes the situation. but that being said, your cpu is still holding you back on some level

WTF ?
He is using the CPU CDPR listed in the recommended specs for 1440p & ultra settings.
I7-4790 is still more than enough for 1080p gaming especially if overclocked.
The optimization of the game is just straight up garbage.
16_9_EN_3-_02qt7qdkx3b50kqk.jpg

A few things I would check into, because the game should be performing reasonably well there:
* Set your CPU back to stock (if it isn't). Especially in combination with other factors, you might be hitting "paradoxical" slowness.
* Check your CPU temperatures and clocks while running a stress test and/or the game itself. It could very well be that the cooling has just completely faltered.
* Make sure you're on the newest drivers for your GPU
* 8GB is the absolute barest of minimums. It might be worthwhile to upgrade to 16GB (if that's within your budget).

CPU optimization seems pretty terrible. The fact it's the bottleneck for so many people seems to say as much. My GPU is only a 1060 and it's barely doing any work or heating up when I play this game, but my CPU usage averages 60-80%. It is a lower end i7, so it's not the strongest CPU, but I'm seeing a lot of people with similar complaints. And it seems like there's no real settings that help reduce CPU usage, everything is GPU aside from Crowd Density, which I already have at low.

Do you have any issues with any other game? Any chance your rig could be overheating or hitting a bottleneck somewhere? Are alll sticks of memory are being picked up?

My i7 4790 (recommended CPU) usage is 100% all the time no matter settings I throw on.

thanks for taking the time to reply, all temps and usages are in the screenshot above.

cpu at 61c 27% usage
gpu at 63c 100% usage which shouldn't be that high for 5 FPS considering the video i posted

monitoring software is MSI afterburner. worth noting i have exited AB just to see if that interfered with the Radeon display manager. no change.

edit: also no issues with any other game ever.

There is something else wrong with your setup ... CPU is not loaded, GPU 100% and You have very limited VRAM and its pretty slow with 300Mhz.

WTF ?
He is using the CPU CDPR listed in the recommended specs for 1440p & ultra settings.
I7-4790 is still more than enough for 1080p gaming especially if overclocked.
The optimization of the game is just straight up garbage.

all caps WTF uncalled for but okay. your post would be fine without it

Yes, those are the recommended specs by CDPR, however they may simply be misleading. If they want to say that in theory you can run this game on an almost decade old processor, doesn't mean that you can do so, broadly speaking, without any sort of bottlenecking. Not disagreeing about lack of optimizations here, but in the game's current state there is a cpu bottleneck on many systems due to said poor optimization.

8 gb of ram tho.....

That's hurting you in more ways than one. At bare minimum I'd suggest 16, but to be honest 32 would be better, assuming you can afford it and your board supports it.

Just that alone would probably make a pretty positive impact on how the game is running for you, as well as just overall QOL for the PC in general.

There is something else wrong with your setup ... CPU is not loaded, GPU 100% and You have very limited VRAM and its pretty slow with 300Mhz.

you're right. that 300mhz should be 1750mhz. gpu isnt pulling max power either at 68w. looks like the vram on the gpu is fluctuating between power modes. on menus i get 60fps all clock speeds are maxed and power is maxed. once i drop into the game world is when things tank.....

I didn't even notice that 300MHz bit in the screenshot at first. That would easily explain the terrible performance - I've done testing before where moving my 5700XT's VRAM clock from 1750 to 1900 is sometimes a 10% boost in FPS.

Top Bottom