Game frequently making windows 7 freeze up

+
I'm using windows 7 64 bit, running on lowest settings, and running Cyberpunk 2077 seems to make the entire PC freeze up after a while.

My specs are above minimum requirement

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.40ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Ram: 32gb

I am using the latest nvidia drivers

I narrowed down part of the issue to uncapped FPS. Once I capped it to 30 most of the gameplay freezing stopped, but it still happens. Funnily enough not during gameplay but most often when using mirrors or transitioning scenes (Such as hopping between cameras or loading between story-chapters). idk how much FPS I get during gameplay but its playable, suggesting the issue might be related to something other than my specs.

When the freeze happens I cannot use my mouse / alt tab, the PC is basically dead until I hit reset, but I can still hear music from the game. It's really weird, I never had this happen, it doesn't bsod or give error message, it just hangs.

System specs:
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
i7-6700k processor
16GB RAM
Nvidia GTX1060 3GB GPU (exact card is ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-O3G)
DX11? Can't find a way to get DX12 on Win7.
Steam

Absolutely every crash I have had says my nvidia display drivers stopped responding. Am I doing something wrong?

When I use the newest driver 460.79, the game either crashes after loading into the tutorial after character creation (when I press spacebar) or it loads in, see my character in the mirror, and crashes as soon as I look around or hit a button for an action and the camera moves. I have set the graphics preset to low, textures to low, and turned off vsync. Every time it crashes I get the Cyberpunk has flatlined popup, as well as a popup from windows saying: "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I saw some users saying on Win7 we can't use the newest drivers because we don't have DX12, so I went to NVIDIA's website and downloaded the previous drivers, 457.51 and this is even worse. It crashes the same exact way (flatlined and drivers 457.51 stopped responding) as soon as I launch the game, can't even make it into the menu.

I verified my cache, went back to 460.79, reinstalled the entire game, nothing works.

I've tried many things (look, I have over 2 hours played yet haven't even been able to start the tutorial) to fix this. The first was the driver change. Then I completely reinstalled the game. Then I followed the exact instructions here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...ue/1688/windows-7-the-game-constantly-crashes and while it took a long time to remove all old driver files and reinstall 460.79, I did notice that the character creator ran smoother than previously so I was optimistic, but I still get the same crashes at the same places with 460.79. I tried deleting the cache and settings from user/appdata/local/cd projekt red/cyberpunk 2077 and then went back in, set my settings to low, created my cahracter, still crashed with drivers stopped responding exactly the same way as before. I tried launching the game .exe from the bin/x64 folder instead of doing it via steam, same crash. Then I went back to 457.51 again crashed at startup, and then even went back to 457.30 but that crashed the same exact way as 457.51 does.

Currently I'm back to 460.79, clear out my appdata every time I try it again, still keeps crashing after character creation sometimes instantly sometimes after a few seconds of audio with a black screen, lately when I try to set texture to low, hit apply, and it snaps back to high again by itself, so that's a fun quirk.

I'm out of ideas. I would love to play this game. As far as I can tell my hardware meets recommended specs, and my windows meets minimum, so please could someone help me run this game, I can't find a way to get DX12, and I can't get any of the last months' worth of NVIDIA drivers to run this game past character creation.

I think I solved my issue by installing every windows 7 update I'd missed, as another thread talked about solving FPS issues by updating their windows 10. So in case anyone else has pc crashing problems on windows 7, try installing windows updates.

I went so far as to get a spare SATA hard drive, hook it up, and install a trial version of windows 10 on it. I installed nvidia 460.79 drivers, steam, and cyberpunk 2077. It runs the games with no issue. So it's not a problem of CP2077 not working on my system, it's a problem of CP2077's support for windows 7 (which we have been told, it works on windows 7) being flawed.

wonders why people still use windows 7 -_- just do the upgrade and unlock dx12 you will save your self alot of frustration

wonders why people still use windows 7 -_- just do the upgrade and unlock dx12 you will save your self alot of frustration
I'm wondering why people say to upgrade their operating system and buy new consoles when the devs specifically told us it would function on windows 7, and are selling copies of the game for ps4, and xbox one. The game works for some people with deplorable graphics and rampant crashes, but for others it doesn't run at all. The game was not properly showcased on last gen consoles and windows 7, something CDPR admits to holding out on. Maybe avoid posting stupid comments on technical threads seeking help on something promised. It will save yourself a lot of frustration.

I'm wondering why people say to upgrade their operating system and buy new consoles when the devs specifically told us it would function on windows 7, and are selling copies of the game for ps4, and xbox one. The game works for some people with deplorable graphics and rampant crashes, but for others it doesn't run at all. The game was not properly showcased on last gen consoles and windows 7, something CDPR admits to holding out on. Maybe avoid posting stupid comments on technical threads seeking help on something promised. It will save yourself a lot of frustration.
I have to agree with you here. If CDPR didn't want to have to deal with making it functional on Win7, then they should have updated their minimum specifications to require Win10. As it stands, the burden of making it work is on them and they basically can't be rid of it because they released a product while making the claim it works on Win7. Now, for some people it does, but for an awful lot of people, the directx12 issue is cropping up. To truly muddy the waters, the same issue sometimes crops up on Win10 machines, even ones that never had Win7 and only ever had Win10.

So it's basically out of the users hands and on CDPR to sort it out.

Windows isn't even supporting 7 anymore. Yes, it should work since they started working on the game when it was being used, but just like the Xbox1 and PS4, they were quickly outgrown.

Windows isn't even supporting 7 anymore. Yes, it should work since they started working on the game when it was being used, but just like the Xbox1 and PS4, they were quickly outgrown.
yep and its not just that its out grown it also leads to security risk

And just like with xbox1 and ps4, CDPR promised the games would work on windows 7. Soooo, your point is?

yep and its not just that its out grown it also leads to security risk
These people are looking for tech support for a game that was promised to work on windows 7 from the game devs. Telling them to just upgrade is not only dismissing their technical issues but playing apologetics for dirty devs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many problems with this game because they figure a brand new, ground breaking game is going to run on a Commodore 64.

System specs:

Code:
NixOS (linux-5.10.1 built Mon Dec 14 2020)
Ryzen 3800X
32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
ASUS Strix 1070 8GB

Also have the nvidia crashes, though fortunately linux doesn't crash and I can kill the cyberpunk process and restart it; tried both 455.45.01 (latest stable) and 460.27.04 (latest beta). It seems like a driver issue since the screen takes a while (10 seconds?) to change from the crashed cyberpunk game to another window during which the computer doesn't respond. (To be clear, this are sporadic but some happen repeatedly in specific dialog-scenes like the nomad initial corp chase and when first talking to Dex DeShaw which I have to repeat about 3-5 times to go trough)

From talking with others apparently AMD with their open source drivers is working splendidly without crashes and better performance. (Only managed to get about 30 - 40 fps on low settings at 1080p and TAA is all messed up so disabled that and changed to FXAA)

I would focus on the nvidia drivers though maybe 1.05 patch will make the experience better.

Last edited:
If 'commadore 64' is written in the system requirements on the back of the box then yeah, I expect it to work on commadore 64.
You're using a cracked version of Windows and can't get an upgrade to Windows 10 without buying it, can you? Did that for years, myself.

Yes, win 7 should work because it's stated in the minimum requirements. However, if you want to play the game now instead of waiting, you can install win 10 for free, and keep using it indefinitely without ever activating it, with very minor limitations (e.g. you have to change your desktop background by right clicking an image file and selecting an option instead of using personalization settings).

What happens when Windows 7 support ends?

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. If you continue to use Windows 7 after support has ended, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses because you will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft. Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to a new PC running Windows 10 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available.

Literally none of your arguments about not using windows 7 matter, because CDPR promised us win7 support, and then it didn't work. I'm playing it on windows 10 currently because it didn't work on 7.

If we absolutely had to use windows 10, they should have said that up front, instead of stringing us along with promises that they supported windows 7.

Literally none of your arguments about not using windows 7 matter, because CDPR promised us win7 support, and then it didn't work. I'm playing it on windows 10 currently because it didn't work on 7.

If we absolutely had to use windows 10, they should have said that up front, instead of stringing us along with promises that they supported windows 7.
It possible though its on windows 7 OS side though. CDPR made it clear in their support that you need to keep in mind that windows 7 support is limited
Windows 7 - the game constantly crashes — Cyberpunk 2077 | Technical Support — CD PROJEKT RED

Note: Cyberpunk 2077 is a DirectX 12 game. DirectX 12 works on Windows 7 thanks to porting tools and features may be limited. Also, please mind that Microsoft ended official Windows 7 support in January 2020.

If you're experiencing crashes, make sure your Nvidia GPU drivers are updated.
The game requires the most recent drivers to function correctly.

1. Download the latest drivers using the following link -> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
2. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
3. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.

Should this instruction not help or if you are using another GPU, refer to this article for further assistance.

Top Bottom