Can someone explain some crafting/upgrading mechanics to me?

+
Ok so, items come in 5 tiers - common/uncommon/rare/epic/legendary. You get crafting recipes and can find better versions out there through looting/shopping.

You can also upgrade items through the crafting screen, which increases their stats somewhat, but really not that much, it appers to increase the base level of the item by 1 for each upgrade.

So my question is - isn't upgrading legendary items hella expensive? Like where will you ever find components to level a single legendary item, from say, level 20 to 30? Also, when you upgrade the tier of the item, does the level stay the same, or does it level it up to your current one?

They're pointless. You need legendary mats to upgrade epic weapons, epic mats to upgrade rare weapons, and rare mats to upgrade uncommon weapons. It's the same issue with crafting. CDPR developed their crafting system into uselessness by making the mats it requires too out of reach for what you achieve by using them, all compounded by the fact that even on Hard difficulty, you can go through the entire game using common, white weapons that you get as drops and kill every enemy, even bosses, just fine, essentially making using the crafting and upgrade systems completely and utterly pointless. Got a legendary weapon early on? Oh well! Within a couple hours of gaming, some POS white, common weapon will make it obsolete, and upgrading it will be so ridiculously expensive that you might as well not even bother, especially considering that common white weapon works just fine against even the most difficult enemies.

CDPR f*cked this game up. No clue what the hell they were thinking releasing it in this state.

I will agree that the upgrading and crafting costs are pretty expensive but there is a perk in the crafting tree that lets you upgrade lower quality components into higher, it costs 16 tech and I'm not even close to that yet but I have an absolute ton of lower quality ones and there's another perk that gives you more mats when scrapping items also.

I'm hoping it will be viable at higher levels as even at my low level of 16 I'm seeing plenty of epic items dropping and finding the odd legendary that will be able to be broken down once I out level them.

Crafting is a waste of your perk points and your time unless the whole level scaling system got reworked.

The Technical Ability is useful though since it will help the character to pass lots of ability checks.

-tv

Forum regular

So my question is - isn't upgrading legendary items hella expensive? Like where will you ever find components to level a single legendary item, from say, level 20 to 30? Also, when you upgrade the tier of the item, does the level stay the same, or does it level it up to your current one?

Depends how you approach it.

If you are purely just upgrading as you go, yes it is very expensive. However, if you craft while at a higher level--you can use that craft to craft the next tier (rerolling bonuses you can get as well). Update: This does not seem applicable to all items unfortunately.

Meaning, use the starting 'Common' craft to trigger the crafting spec for the 'Uncommon'...'Uncommon' to 'Rare'...'Rare' to 'Epic'...and 'Epic' to 'Legendary'. From there (if you are not max level), you can upgrade the clothing until you hit max level. Update: This does not seem applicable to all items unfortunately--Iconic gear seems to follow this while non-iconic gear is does not.

So, it's kind of better to loot your gear and dismantle/replace as you go with newer loot until you hit higher levels--then craft to maximize armor/damage/bonuses.

Additionally...It may be beneficial to craft smaller items with common mats to level up your crafting level...because at Level 20 crafting, you get a perk that increases the sale price of crafts (making buying materials from vendors a bit easier--if they have stock). Your crafting level goes up every time you craft, upgrade, or dismantle.

Last edited:
However, if you craft while at a higher level--you can use that craft to craft the next tier (rerolling bonuses you can get as well).
Not always like this. If you were crafting a purple tier iconic gear that uses its low level blue tier version as one of the material, the outcome won't be stick with your current character's level, so you still need to upgrade it many times and it's needlessly expensive.

So, it's kind of better to loot your gear and dismantle/replace as you go with newer loot until you hit higher levels--then craft to maximize armor/damage/bonuses.
Indeed, but better stick with the none iconic blue tier gears, the gears better than blue tier are just temporay fancy toys for like half hour.

Its an itemization issue in general ,its linear progression of numbers aka oogba booga big number, number higher? Wear it!

The items in general lack player interaction with, but regarding OP question ,just pick recipe, the required mats and craft it, it will scale with your current level.

Ok so, items come in 5 tiers - common/uncommon/rare/epic/legendary. You get crafting recipes and can find better versions out there through looting/shopping.

You can also upgrade items through the crafting screen, which increases their stats somewhat, but really not that much, it appers to increase the base level of the item by 1 for each upgrade.

It depends if it's weapon, clothe , mod etc....

-Craft for mod, grenade, consumable are cheap and worth it. u craft automatically the higher according to your character level.

-the pb for clothe, it's slow to get blueprint, furthermore for the clothe style u want exactly. no pb for the stats clothe but for the style it's random on the shop. the blueprint renew on shop is too slow and there is few purpose.

-Craft for gun or clothe, it depends. As I fight a lot with side quests, I get faster loot than i would craft it. So I often upgrade the gun I looted until I loot naturaly a better weapon. And so on until better loot.
But THE MOST IMPORTANT for clothe or gun is too CRAFT YOUR MODULE. When u have 3 or 4 slots modules for your weapon or clothe craft your module. Module cost nothing as ressource for max stats.

Augment amor defense by +31
20201225213957_1.jpg

Craft my better module for few components.
20201225214018_1.jpg

Replace it by a +96 now. note than my white craft module is superior to the blue module i looted.
20201225214049_1.jpg

The craft is worth it in the long run after u are level 16-18 in craft or your caracter above level 20.

Don't upgrade an item that needs more than 3 times in a row to reach your level for a clothe or gun, it will be too expensive.
But if u upgrade 1 or 2 times your item each time your caracter level up it's worth it: it's at the max.
20201225124230_1.jpg

In technical ability tree, go to crafting branch : u can unlock the tune up ability to upgrade component craft.
tunenup2.png

When u dismantle an item-> u get a white component and green component for example. Now u can upgrade the white component to green, green to blue etc...
It's cheapier than buy it to a shop. It's more interesting to get the legendary or epic components in order to upgrade guns/clothe/module/consumable rare/epic/legendary.

I can upgrade my blue rare component to violet epic component
20201225214232_1.jpg

All the drink, junk dismantle become useful to upgrade high quality componenent.
Hack computer/soda machine/ electronic to get a lot of components.
u can dismantle all clothe above rare quality to get component.

Top Bottom