This is a barebones RPG. Someone had to say it.

+
I think people tend to forget that […] this game is an RPG first and foremost. - Miles Tost, Senior level Designer.

Now keeping this quote in mind... and all the marketing over the last two years, as someone who only based my expectations off things that were shown in the gameplay trailers as actual possible gameplay options/possibilities, the game is fine. I have around 50 hours. This post is NOT about the technical/performance issues. that deserves its own thread and there is plenty of them.
But Lets face it, this is not the RPG a lot of us hoped for and were marketed. it appears that a lot has been removed and the world interactivity and AI just feels bland.
I have been somewhat a fanboy over the last few months and had very strong faith in CDPR, but I'm certainly not a blind follower... This game has let me and a lot of others down in the RPG side of things. They either got overwhelmed with their original plan and scrapped elements to make the date, or its due to them settling for a more cinematic experience halfway through and went with the "Action/Adventure" tag that it is now touted as.

Feel free to add anything else that I've missed or that other games (some over a decade old) have done or done better. And REMEMBER ... “How I would sort of summarise this is…

I don't believe these are ridiculous requests or expectations for an RPG. Because after all... it is first and foremost an RPG after all..
  • Character creation = Huge let down. don't deny it. and this isn't even me having huge expectations. Basic RPGs have had greater variety. No body sliders even JUST for things like making your character thinner, fatter or more jacked? I mean c'mon. Even GTA SA let you get jacked. it seems like they really focused on trivial things to build hype(looking at you genital customisation), rather than meaningful stuff that really lets you make your character an individual and like yourself.
  • Where is the consequence to decisions? the life paths practically converge into the same story, and most quests end the same/similar way to if you load back and go with different choices/dialogue options. i feel literally no weight in my decisions and dont feel like i need to think before making one.
  • Which brings me to missions not having Variable outcomes/very similar endings. it seems as though the Maelstrom mission with an apparent "7 different outcomes" was the only of this nature and was made simply as marketing hype to say "our game is an RPG and missions have different endings!!" i mean Deus Ex excelled in this regard. i actually had to think about how i executed the mission as it may bite me in the behind down the track.
  • Getting new Cyberware is Severely underwhelming. Changing out bodyparts and literally giving up parts of your humanity and body is like swapping out a mod on a gun. *click* and thats it, only cutscenes we got were for the Palm and eye upgrades which were part of the story. Cmon, not even a small cut scene that then fades to black?
  • Street Cred means nothing but more to buy. there is no reaction to your supposed legendary status in the game world. gangs still shoot you on site when they should be terrified of you in a John Wick kind of way. Skyrim, Fallout and Mass Effect NPC's react accordingly if youre a good or bad person, accomplished certain legendary feats/quests etc. you truly make a name for yourself in those games.
  • No lore friendly/interactive Fast travel? god even just being able to walk onto the trains and keeping it basic would have been nice.
  • No Barber? No Tattoo parlour? Give me a break. No change to your character after leaving the character creation is a joke. for a game that is all about creating your own merc and body modding being so prevalent in NC, it does not feel that way.
  • No colour modding of your clothing. Found a cool Trench coat? No worries! but you've gotta have it in Fluro pink!!!
  • No Finishers/animations in combat??? it has really cool things like the ground cracking when you fall from height (really cool but buggy too) but cant add finishers to combat? only ones I've seen is 2 with Katana and JUST 1 with Mantis blades and that is it. Skyrim, The Chronicles of Riddick (Old AF now) even The Witcher 3 had combat finishers with Weapons and hand to hand combat. especially with Melee and hand to hand combat being such a big thing, you'd think they'd have added this
  • Where are the mini-games? Wheres the BD's? its a story continuation tool and thats it. i mean what happened to going into a bar and doing some cool mini activities those kinds of places?
  • The "wait" function does nothing but change the position of the sun lmao. actually try it. nothing changes in front of you or in the world full stop, it just moves the sun and lets you start a mission a tad sooner.
  • Cluttered Mini-map and general world map that strait up gives you everything without barely needing to explore to clear map fog and show whats there. this comes across as an attempt to hide the fact the city is not interactive and CDPR don't trust their game enough to keep you interacting with the world if you take attention away from standard missions.
  • Where is the Adult content? there are barely any options for Joy toys (abysmal tb), no drugs? i dont need this stuff but the option is nice and adds to the atmosphere.
  • The absolute lack of romance options, it seems they went for quality over quantity perhaps but cmon, Dragon Age, Mass effect etc had more. truly disappointing
  • You cant interact with people aside from the Vendors, you cant even sit down at a chair and take in the world? NOTHING is interactive.
  • Key Bindings are a disgrace. I'm sure most of you already know this. how many times have you ruined stealth because of that dodge mechanic?
  • Dynamic world my a**. Mass numbers of NPC’s doesn’t make your world alive. Having them do unique things and responding to the world accordingly does. No ambulance for the injured, no fire trucks for fires, Police... don’t even get me started on the disgrace that is the Police AI.
    They specifically stated in the 48 minute deep dive there would be a silly amount (cant remember the number but was close to 1000) of Hand crafted daily routines for these NPC's. There is not.
  • No police chases? Police Spawning out of thin air? Maxtac spawn out of thin air with No AV's like the teaser? again dont get me started on the Police system, my god how embarrassing.
  • NPC’s in general just don’t react to you accordingly Depending on what you do. shoot in an Open area? no worries! everyone crouch!. It really does seem like CDPR really settled on having quantity of NPC’s over quality. I’d turn down the NPC crowd density in an instant if it meant greater variety and enabled better AI for more a more “alive” city.
  • Police rarely say thank you for intervening and SAVING their lives in gang shootings.
  • No karma/good & bad system, meaning a lot of choices mean Jack all especially when it comes to the way NPC's react to you i mean even Fallout characters reacted to you accordingly if you were a bad guy. Your characters “character” is borderline predetermined
  • The clothing system is broken. Cowboy hates, Short denim shorts and Corset's end up being your best armour, while an Arasaka bullet proof vest is useless. Really takes you out of the world.
    Yes I know you can upgrade clothing to keep the stuff you want to be the best, but some Transmog would be nice
  • Gear has no levels? I'm sorry but have i missed something? unless you are under the required level you cant see what level the gear actually is and its super annoying. it would be nice to be able to just take a glance at something and see if its a lower level and Bam scrapped.
  • Cant pick up thrown knives.... god man..
As I said, I have around 70 hours now and enjoy it. But if I were expecting it to be the RPG and "Truly special game" that CDPR claimed they had... boy am I disappointed. It seems they got caught up in their own hype and thought "omg the public is going insane over rumoured Genital customisation put that in put that in!" but forgot that you still need the basics. I'm sorry but this game doesn't really do anything new.

Honestly it seems the Mini-map (and larger world map) is cluttered with random quests and icons just to distract the player from the fact the world feels empty of anything other than set missions (that any game has in open worlds). most games don't show these until you're close to them and sometimes even fog out the map. but all this seems like an attempt to simply over saturate the players sense and give the illusion of content.

There are a lot more immersion breaking and disappointing mechanics I just cant be bothered to list but honestly the game truly does seem half baked and unfinished. It reeks of placeholders and things that have been cut last minute to make the game playable for release. Somewhere along the lines things changed from RPG to "Action/Adventure" and it was seriously streamlined. And don't be fooled, this has hurt it badly. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Mass effect remain untouched as immersive RPG's at this stage in MY OPINION.
Cheers

I think people tend to forget that […] this game is an RPG first and foremost. - Miles Tost, Senior level Designer.

EDIT: I've attached a video that goes over a lot (not all) of the points my post brings up. summarised nicely. enjoy.

Last edited:
I can’t for the life of me get a decent, or even ”bare bones” RPG out of this.

It is more so than Witcher 3, but still it’s kinda... ”close but no cigar”.

Some halfhearted stats and CYOA elements just don’t cut it. And the problem is how those are used, and how much the character is, so to speak, roleplayable via the afore mentioned aspects. And here it really translates to ”not much” as V is very defined and character systems mainly just help (and just help) you kill stuff.

It’s much closer to an open world action adventure/immersive sim (and doesn’t really differ all that much from Ubisofts offerings from recent years) than an RPG.

Last edited:
I can’t for the life of me get a decent, let alone ”bare bones” RPG out of this.

It is more so than Witcher 3, but it’s kinda... ”close but no cigar”.

Some halfhearted stats and CYOA elements just don’t cut it. And the problem is how those are used, and how much the character is, so to speak, roleplayable via the afore mentioned aspects. And here it really translates to ”not much” as V is very defined and character systems mainly just help (and just help) you kill stuff.

It’s much closer to an open world action adventure/immersive sim (and doesn’t really differ all that much from Ubisofts offerings from recent years) than an RPG.

This sums it up well, im about to start reading your impressions of the game too.
Im hoping many things are fixed/updated or implemented in upcoming updates and DLC... but im not hopeful to be honest.

Game has 4 romance options.

Mass effect had 3.
Dragon age 4.

I can't think of a single RPG with police chases and a wanted system, it's not the best, but I'm sure it will get there.

Police aren't your friends, and you're not a good Samaritan, you're getting paid. Lore wise they don't like you.

There is no karma system, what the hell are you talking about?

Gear clearly has levels, if you are of level it just hides it. Again, did you play the game before writing this diatribe?

Gear is random, look paired with rarity and mods, find something you like, add your own mods, fix the fashion.

How do npc in fallout react when you start shooting? Oh yea they just fist fight the guy in power Armor.

Ambulances don't exist, trauma team does, and they show up for paying customers. You see them in game, but again, youre looking for grand theft auto and not an RPG.

The game has issues, but this post is garbage.

Last edited:

Guest 4406876

Ok I just stumbled in this, and even if I feel the comparison isn't fair for many reasons , I still feels this is a good table to let game design know what a game should do, especially when it's open world and based on an RPG (to be considered a videogame and not a graphic novel like games from Supermassive Games , that btw , never hide the will to make Movies out of their games and I freacking love their games, also because they are long enough, and actually give different ways to end it, like in the case of Untill Dawn or Little Hope, -> Men of Medan was a little under tone but that's just me).
I'm not saying CP77 should do everything that a game with massive balls like RDR2 does in the Western era, but the idea of what's missing in CP77 as an open world RPG is there, as a reminder of what RDR2 does (that it's not an RPG if you want but comes out in being a GREAT rpg after all and ALSO a GREAT MOVIE AND STORY)
Edit: This list isn't exaustive, at all, RDR2 does so many things you can't possibly list them in a single screenshot

Attachments

• rdr2.jpeg
    rdr2.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,844
Last edited by a moderator:
Police aren't your friends, and you're not a good Samaritan, you're getting paid. Lore wise they don't like you.

They probably would say thanks if you save their life ffs, not all people are assholes in Cyberpunk setting.

Gear clearly has levels, if you are if level it just hides it again, did you play the game before writing this diatribe?

Gear is random, look paired with rareity and mods, find something you like, add your own mods, fix the fashion.

Yes gear have levels, but drop rate is crazy and you can find legendary items even before end of Act 1 that you can use, that is not good it destroy gear progression.

You just attack him for no reason, if you like game fine if you think game is good even when all the elements are missing and problems are there, but don't attack other people who say their opinion.

I wouldn't completely agree on that topic. I do not recall any real deep character customization in Dragon Age franchise or Witcher? Just imagine that we play V like It was Gerald, predefined character. A lot of trash items you can see in Fallout, Dragon age, even Witcher 3.
The author's list is nice to work on but it is just an opinion and not a "list of must have in any RPG"

Game has 4 romance options.

Mass effect had 3.
Dragjn age 4.

I can't think of a single RPG with police chases and a wanted system, it's not the best, but I'm sure it will get there.

There is no karma system, what the hell are you talking about?

Gear clearly has levels, if you are if level it just hides it again, did you play the game before writing this diatribe?

Gear is random, look paired with rareity and mods, find something you like, add your own mods, fix the fashion.

How do npc in fallout react when you start shooting? Oh yea they just fist fight the guy in power armor.

Ambulances don't exist, trauma team does, and they show up for paying customers. You see them in game, but again, yours looking for grand theft auto and not an RPG.

The predecessors however which are older had a lot more which is the point.

As for police chases, RDR2 had a bounty system, GTA had stars (no RPG but its done alot of elements far better) and Fallout also has consequences.

And youre not getting paid for intervening in the random shoot outs that take place with police etc. those random encounters are not gigs. they are RANDOM encounters. ive heard a cop say thanks once.

Fallout games did in fact have a system where if you killed someone youd be well known for it and general responses from even basic NPC's would be unhappy ones.
Please explain said Karma system in CP2077?

Its still quite standard for us to know what the levels of said gear is, in every game ever.

Gear might be random but not immersive at all. Armour etc is always generally higher stats as it makes sense and keeps consistent with lore etc.

Some fight, others run. much like in real life. some have the will to act. in CP2077, its all copy and paste reactions.
Post automatically merged:

I wouldn't completely agree on that topic. I do not recall any real deep character customization in Dragon Age franchise or Witcher? Just imagine that we play V like It was Gerald, predefined character. A lot of trash items you can see in Fallout, Dragon age, even Witcher 3.
The author's list is nice to work on but it is just an opinion and not a "list of must have in any RPG"
i did mention down the bottom these are my opinions indeed but im far from alone in them also. and while you are right, when compared to TRUE RPG's like Skyrim, Fallout and Mass effect etc its just not quite the RPG. i mean, in the Devs own word "Cyberpunk is first and Foremost, an RPG"

But is it?

Guest 4461026

Far Cry 2077
although those games arguably have more drugs...
At least the story is really strong, but while playing this game i just more and more want to go back to modding Fallout New Vegas.
Them removing the term RPG from their promo stuff including even wikipedia is quite telling of what content we can expect i fear :(
Hopefully my pessimism is unwarranted.
Edit: I just checked wikipedia again and suddenly its back to being called a "action roleplaying game" there. Now i wonder if i hallucinated or if there is a wiki editing war happening :p

Guest 4406876

i did mention down the bottom these are my opinions indeed but im far from alone in them also. and while you are right, when compared to TRUE RPG's like Skyrim, Fallout and Mass effect etc its just not quite the RPG. i mean, in the Devs own word "Cyberpunk is first and Foremost, an RPG"

But is it?
If they consider an RPG The Division or hack and slash games that are the By-product of RPG then yes, To me this game isn't first and foremost an RPG. It's a quick action movie. Assassin's Creed Odissey is more RPG than CP77.

Far Cry 2077
although those games arguably have more drugs...
At least the story is really strong, but while playing this game i just more and more want to go back to modding Fallout New Vegas.
Them removing the term RPG from their promo stuff including even wikipedia is quite telling of what content we can expect i fear :(
Hopefully my pessimism is unwarranted.
Edit: I just checked wikipedia again and suddenly its back to being called a "action roleplaying game" there. Now i wonder if i hallucinated or if there is a wiki editing war happening :p
mate when i noticed the "RPG" was removed from a lot of that stuff i was concerned also, rightfully so now it seems. there is only so much they can do with updates and patches also, the game at its very core needs work.

If they consider an RPG The Division or hack and slash games that are the By-product of RPG then yes, To me this game isn't first and foremost an RPG. It's a quick action movie. Assassin's Creed Odissey is more RPG than CP77.

i do agree with that

The predecessors however which are older had a lot more which is the point.

As for police chases, RDR2 had a bounty system, GTA had stars (no RPG but its done alot of elements far better) and Fallout also has consequences.

And youre not getting paid for intervening in the random shoot outs that take place with police etc. those random encounters are not gigs. they are RANDOM encounters. ive heard a cop say thanks once.

Fallout games did in fact have a system where if you killed someone youd be well known for it and general responses from even basic NPC's would be unhappy ones.
Please explain said Karma system in CP2077?

Its still quite standard for us to know what the levels of said gear is, in every game ever.

Gear might be random but not immersive at all. Armour etc is always generally higher stats as it makes sense and keeps consistent with lore etc.

Some fight, others run. much like in real life. some have the will to act. in CP2077, its all copy and paste reactions.

But is it?
RDR2 is not a RPG. Lol. Read the wiki.
And so called true RPGs had so many issues as well. Dragon age 3 (which I like a lot) was way to repetitive. Skyrim is buggy still (so we have to use the community patches) and magic system is awful and the game is not balanced (hello to stealth bow). Mass effect is a great series but no deep customization, no karma system, a lot of trash items and degradation in a matter of story. All this is my opinion of course.

Guest 4406876

mate when i noticed the "RPG" was removed from a lot of that stuff i was concerned also, rightfully so now it seems. there is only so much they can do with updates and patches also, the game at its very core needs work.

i do agree with that
I recall someone before launch said "not worried, bugs can be fixed, bad gameplay design cannot". And we were all in the train with that, considering gameplay design as cemented because cmon...it's CDPR.
Man....we were wrong...
I have 0 hope game mechanics will improve. That would require a rewrite of the game, and it's not gonna happen.

I recall someone before launch said "not worried, bugs can be fixed, bad gameplay design cannot". And we were all in the train with that, considering gameplay design as cemented because cmon...it's CDPR.
Man....we were wrong...
I have 0 hope game mechanics will improve. That would require a rewrite of the game, and it's not gonna happen.
No man sky can and cyberpunk can't?
I hope they will listen to community and improve the game mechanics as well.

Guest 4406876

No man sky can and cyberpunk can't?
I hope they will listen to community and improve the game mechanics as well.
No man's sky is born on a procedural system. CP77 is born on strict scripted mechanics and it's handcrafted to a point it's almost , IMO (thanks mods :D ) untouchable. Maybe we'll see some added stuff, but in all honestly, most things people , me included, are asking for, are way out of their chances to make it happen. They basically have to go back to the drawing board.

Top Bottom