[SPOILERS] The Romance in this game is truly amazing, and equally disappointing.

+
The Romance in this game is truly amazing, and equally disappointing.

Judy Alvarez, as an example.

You're led on an almost 12 hour long journey, starting where she doesn't like/nor trust you very much. Over time winning her over to your side and are able to to quests for her. All the while doing side missions with her and getting closer via dialogue options, and when you're not, getting excited for the random text/phone call that she might send. You comfort her, help her out with missions, get invited to her house. Make decisions that impact whether or not she actually wants you to be in her life. Save her seemingly best friend, there for her during the traumatic experiences of this mission.

After a while the Messages get more personal, the phone calls as well. You're actually in a sort of relationship with this in-game character you're getting to know slowly.

At one point in a mission, V says something like - "I only tell people I care about my real name". This led me to believe this game has a lot of impactful moments if you were to get close to certain characters.

Anyway, at a certain point you help Judy, and she obliges by opening herself up, and taking you out into probably one of the most amazingly romantic missions/scenes I have encountered in any game. You go underwater diving, after flirting quite amazingly (I'm still waiting for that MaxTax uniform btw) - and you visit Judy's old home, and you learn about her past and feelings.

She breaks down and you comfort her, ending up in a tasteful, not over done sex scene where two characters are enjoying each others company. If you're role playing this game, this was a sweet moment for you, as you have spent 12 hours or so with this person who has suddenly changed their whole dynamic with you, to get to this point. And she clearly tells you there's more to her story.

You go outside, and are posed with a question, What did this mean to you?

Well after 12 hours, this wasn't just a one night stand, if it was for anyone else, I would be amazed.

You explain this, and are suddenly in a relationship, with a few more dialogue options. The immersion, romance, excitement of a new message/phone call coming through suddenly, a thought of a date, the thought of maybe hearing V's REAL NAME to someone that shes inlove with. All that has disappeared because Judy is no longer part of the story in any shape or form, other than standing at the window.

SUGGESTIONS:

The relationship progresses beautifully imo, im not sure about the other ones but I feel they would be similar. BUT there are multiple missed opportunities here.

-Explain V's backstory through relationship with Judy in dialogue.
-Dating + Drinks + Extra Dialogue, sex if that matters in a meaningful way
-V's apartment
-Random text/calls
-Missions
-Judys story progression
-Don't just keep Judy in eye shot for her apartment, its quite depressing spending 12 hours with a character I can no longer interact with,
-Extra Dialogue options with other characters stating you're with Judy (whoever frankly) instead of randomly flirting ruining the immersive feeling you have.
The game doesn't need to be a mindless way forward, I understand in context that there are time constraints but you're going back into the game as free play from a loading point (I understand why but its still weird)
-Whats the point of playing as V and wanting to survive, with nothing to survive for?

I am holding out for an update/dlc where this progresses. This was a great missed opportunity, and I expected a little better.

Last edited:
I left this in another thread and I totally agree. I feel that there should be some options for dates and maybe even getting lucky more times after the climax (pun intended). To reiterate what I said in the other thread, relationships don't end just because you have sex, and I want to see that reflected in games like Cyberpunk, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. that have these relationships that are supposed to be founded in deep connections between two people. At least let us drop by and give her a kiss or something, c'mon.

To reiterate what I said in the other thread, relationships don't end just because you have sex

Amen. I feel like the whole here's a romance development, and the goal is a sex scene The end; is not terrible but outplayed, and it kind of leaves more to be desired that a lot of developers don't take advantage of.
For example, special side missions that feed into the narrative of how close you are to the character now. Or hanging out with them in dialogue reminiscing about current and past happenings. And as you say even another sex scene or two lol

Yeah the climax doesn't always have to also be the end :LOL:

I'm with you on this, absolutely loved the unfolding of Judy's Storyline, and I'm sure other romance options are amazing to experience too.
It actually almost involved my own feelings. I cared about her, her past, our possible future out of Night City as she seems to tell you at some point (I didn't finish the main story line yet, maybe it unlocks a separate ending?).

But now that the relationship is kind of "official", she's now basically out of the game. I would have settled with a simple option to be able to sleep at her place or something. Now I just miss her even though she's here, what a weird feeling.

I agree. Going trough an emotional ride like this and only to see her standing at a window? Where are the dates, sleeping together, living at her place. Breakfast, dancing, watching tv, going for a ride. So much they could've done but they cut it out. Where's the organic relationships they promised? I'm really disappointed with it. Judy's a lovely person and we need more.

I'm with you on this, absolutely loved the unfolding of Judy's Storyline, and I'm sure other romance options are amazing to experience too.
It actually almost involved my own feelings. I cared about her, her past, our possible future out of Night City as she seems to tell you at some point (I didn't finish the main story line yet, maybe it unlocks a separate ending?).

But now that the relationship is kind of "official", she's now basically out of the game. I would have settled with a simple option to be able to sleep at her place or something. Now I just miss her even though she's here, what a weird feeling.
100%, I was very emotionally invested in her character missions. I'm almost bored with the game now because I don't have any more Jude content to look forward to...

Im sorry but it is not amazing at all, once you romance someone and have the sex scene then it end there and nothing more...
I was really hoping for dating or some kind of follower like in Skyrim/Fallout 4.
Some simple thing like unlock more quest/mission once you romance someone would be nice.
I wanted to romance Meredith Stout and all I got was a 10 sec sex scene (How can you even fap to that), she work for Militech she could introduce us to mission with them, weapon, show us the corpo side of Night city, but nope nothing.

So sad.

Im sorry but it is not amazing at all, once you romance someone and have the sex scene then it end there and nothing more...
I was really hoping for dating or some kind of follower like in Skyrim/Fallout 4.
Some simple thing like unlock more quest/mission once you romance someone would be nice.
I wanted to romance Meredith Stout and all I got was a 10 sec sex scene (How can you even fap to that), she work for Militech she could introduce us to mission with them, weapon, show us the corpo side of Night city, but nope nothing.

So sad.
To be fair regarding Stout, I don't think she's the type for a long-term commitment, I feel like her's is done almost perfectly.

Ashii

Forum veteran
The worst thing in a romance is, game and V, don't care about it. After I estabilished a relationship with Judy, I met River, male romance option for Fem V and guess what? V had an amnesia. She was flirting with River, his family was constantly commenting through one quest how great she and River look together and there was no option to even say "I'm already taken" or anything like that. No option to disagree or anything or maybe to even say "I'M A LESBIAN". Even BioWare wasn't that lazy with their romances.

I actually made a thread about it yesterday, but I needed to vent here again.

The worst thing in a romance is, game and V, don't care about it. After I estabilished a relationship with Judy, I met River, male romance option for Fem V and guess what? V had an amnesia. She was flirting with River, his family was constantly commenting through one quest how great she and River look together and there was no option to even say "I'm already taken" or anything like that. No option to disagree or anything or maybe to even say "I'M A LESBIAN".

Wow, I haven't made it that far yet but if that's true, that's pretty dumb. I will say that up until but not past the end of the arc, it feels more natural than BioWare, bit that's just one perv's opinion.

To the OP, did you become a man or woman character?
But yes, I understand you perfectly, I already wrote this in another forum but in my language, romances, the plot that exists to achieve something with these characters is spectacular but the end of these is very disappointing, I with Judy have not had anything and she left the city (she has disappointed me since she has always made me understand that she wanted to have something) and then she left the city.
As for Panama, it's the same, long dialogues with her, a long story with her, in the end V and she like each other, then they only have a sex scene and here the relationship ends, Panama leaves and leaves V alone.
It is very disappointing if, I expected relationships in the style of GTA S.A where you can call your partner to go for a drink etc ...

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't made it that far yet but if that's true, that's pretty dumb. I will say that up until but not past the end of the arc, it feels more natural than BioWare, bit that's just one perv's opinion.

Yes, romance with Judy was done better, imo, than any other BioWare romance, especially F/F. I meant that BioWare wasn't that lazy with acknowledging your relationship with other NPCs, especially other romance options.

Yes, romance with Judy was done better, imo, than any other BioWare romance, especially F/F. I meant that BioWare wasn't that lazy with acknowledging your relationship with other NPCs, especially other romance options.
In that case we're on the exact same page. It seems like a lot of people feel the same, so hopefully they will push out some updates to it after resolving more of the crashes and optimization issues.

Problem is all those romance lead to nothing.
I get that a follower system in this game like in Skyrim/Fallout 4 would probably sucks but can we have more missions/weapons, dating system ?

Problem is all those romance lead to nothing.
I get that a follower system in this game like in Skyrim/Fallout 4 would probably sucks but can we have more missions/weapons, dating system ?
Personally I'd leave Judy behind to keep her out of harm's way even if I could have her as a follower, but I see where that train of thought is going.
Post automatically merged:

And they lied about romances, too. They were constantly commenting how sex shouldn't end the romance and it won't happen in CP and what did they do? Exactly this.
Ooh shiz, you're actually right, I remember that now...

Given that portraying a meaningful relationship between characters requires lots of carefully choreographed content, an open ended relationship will never be satisfactory.
The only viable endings are one of:
  • She breaks up with V
  • V breaks up with her
  • She dies (or in some other way becomes inaccessible)

After finding a temporary solution to the nudity bug, I stayed up the whole night pursuing Judy's romance and impatiently doing jobs in between her calls and texts because I genuinely felt sorry for her. Swimming with her, learning about her past, then comforting her and leading into the sex scene was all so beautifully done it made me teary-eyed.

Even though I knew (from the internet discussions) that the romance would "freeze" after the sex scene, it moved me enough to make me pursue it anyway. It ended exactly as my V described it: as the beginning of something. It should have led to more missions, and should have unlocked the ability to braindance with her!

Last edited:
And they lied about romances, too. They were constantly commenting how sex shouldn't end the romance and it won't happen in CP and what did they do? Exactly this.
Yea I remember hearing about this too and how they were going to be so indepth, but then after only a few missions. Poof they gone forever

The worst thing in a romance is, game and V, don't care about it. After I estabilished a relationship with Judy, I met River, male romance option for Fem V and guess what? V had an amnesia. She was flirting with River, his family was constantly commenting through one quest how great she and River look together and there was no option to even say "I'm already taken" or anything like that. No option to disagree or anything or maybe to even say "I'M A LESBIAN". Even BioWare wasn't that lazy with their romances.

I actually made a thread about it yesterday, but I needed to vent here again.

Well that sucks. Trust is a very rare thing in Night City, but Judy trusts my V and my V trusts Judy. We need the option not to betray that trust!

Top Bottom