Anybody else disappointed with netrunning/cyberspace/hacking?

+
Well, they were able to make hacking a boring minigame that you will get sick of playing after that thousandth time of doing it and turned the cool concept of cyberspace into a some weird puke filled acid trip that seems to have nothing to do with actual hacking and plays more like a bad dream sequence. I remember when a dev said cyberspace will be COOL. uh? Where is it? Also, you do not even get to be a netrunner or experience cyberspace outside of a couple of very brief sequences on the main missions. I feel they originally planned for you to netrunning in the early days based off some video of you seeing a netrunner rig that I assume was a rig for V to use, but like a lot of things it got scraped for a very generic hack mini game. Personally I think they need to scrape their version of cyberspace and just copy shadowrun cyberspace which is a mini tron like world where the character is like a wizard or summoner that uses programs like spells to get to nodes to hack. It would have been way more fun and interesting than what we had. Could have had quick hacks for what we have or deep hacks to get into more complex networks and gain more control/access/info. Cyberspace could have been a cool mini world where you could find random networks and data fortresses, but there are dangerous A.I.s, programs and other netrunners around you have to watch out for or make contact with.

Absolutely agree with the fact that Cyberspace freaking sucked. Its' visual identity was extremely uninspired, in fact it was taken straight from Mass Effect, I remember scenes from that game that looked exactly like that. In terms of story and lore, it was also exploited very poorly and it brought nothing especially interesting or innovative to the table.

This is what shadowrun Returns cyberspace is like. Fun, exciting, visually appropriate and actually feels like your a badass cyber cowboy. Now compare it to the "cyberspace" that we got. Complete fail on CDPR's part.

This is what shadowrun Returns cyberspace is like. Fun, exciting, visually appropriate and actually feels like your a badass cyber cowboy. Now compare it to the "cyberspace" that we got. Complete fail on CDPR's part.

Frankly, I wonder what is the "right way" to portray "hacking" in games and movies. I mean you would want it to be somewhat faithful to the actual act right?

From what I know about "hacking", it's basically electronic version of breaking into a bank vault. The exciting part is the loot. The actual breaking in is mostly down to finding a weakness or two in the security to exploit - something that's primarily down to intel and luck.

The whole "hacking" = running around in VR is the weirdest fiction ever. Everyone freaking does it and I have no idea why.

lol, you think it's bad in CP2077? try netrunning in CP2020, the netrunning section is literally a 3rd of the book...it's huge and time consuming, the diluted version we get here is probably for the best.

Ya, onestly, it was never cool in rpg because the rest of the peeps woud be bored then, so they wait(ed) and you eithe rget your own solo adventure (or 2-3 of ya) and then the others get unhappy / bored. Either way, I don't know yet if and what it is, vs the stuff I've done but I definitely ma now getting into the groove of the story and so on. Loveing the variosu perks, and instesf of raching through it, I'm reading , figuring it out and will see what combos to focus on, it's hard fguring out what to focus on, want it all!

I'm fine with it. Once I upgraded my Cyberdeck quickhacks are really awesome in combination with a stealth build.

Breach protocol is a little simplified compared to say... Hacking in Deus Ex, but imo the simplicity is welcomed. We don't need a chess game for hacking.
Frankly, they could make hacking rarer but more involved and with a higher payout. Imagine have to solve the security "puzzle" (i.e. spot the flaw), having to gather intel (from stealing poorly secured passwords just laying out in the open on a post-it note to gathering information about how a security system works), then putting all of it together to do the hack for some good data like blueprints for weapons and what not.

This magic spell / press a button to hack is kind of stupid.
Post automatically merged:

people confuse cool with fun.

Do you think people would enjoy hacking in combat if you had to enter some alternate reality EVERY SINGLE TIME?
Frankly, it could be argued that what hacking is in most games is neither cool nor fun.

people confuse cool with fun.

Do you think people would enjoy hacking in combat if you had to enter some alternate reality EVERY SINGLE TIME?

Didn't say every single time, it could be just certain high level jobs or netrunner jobs that instead of going to a physical location, requires you to go to a section of cyberspace to gather intel, fight other netrunners, hack systems...etc. It would add variety. You would still have your normal quickhacks for mudane jobs.

Tbh I hoped that quickhacks are only a tip of the iceberg, used in combat when you can't afford to enter cyberspace because of the danger of getting shot.

And that V will be able to perform proper hacks too (not only as a part of main quest), entering cyberspace outside of combat to steal some info from a corporation for example. Alas...

Tbh I hoped that quickhacks are only a tip of the iceberg, used in combat when you can't afford to to enter cyberspace because of the danger of getting shot.

And that V will be able to perform proper hacks too, entering cyberspace outside of combat to steal some info from a corporation for example. Alas...

Bad news, quickhacks are it. You only enter cyberspace once during a mission and depending on your ending path, once there. That is it. However, got to warn you. Cyberpunk 2077 cyberspace sucks and the mission is pretty disappointing, I refuse to call it cyberspace, its just some weird lsd like trip and looks nothing like what you would expect cyberspace to be like.

Yah.. hacking is kind bad.. Deus Ex did this one right. However braindance is amazing, minority report mode ftw!!

Well hacking is a unique minigame which took me a really long time to figure out what Im even intended to do in it.. (still not 100% sure)

But I planned to make a combat character and ignore hacking.
Post automatically merged:

Except that sort of gameplay is what they intentionally removed from the tabletop version of the RPG (cyberpunk 2020 -> cyberpunk red), because what netrunners were doing was too far removed from what the rest of the party was doing.

I don't think they wanted to remind people of that gameplay when they just changed it in the tabletop.

Last edited:
My build is a bit of a hybrid in a way. A little stealth when it makes sense....going for the instant head shot and starting chaos also when it makes sense....and doing very little cyberwork with all of that.

I do it enough to make encounters a bit more easy but all in all, i dont fanaggle in it very much.

For me....

*Neo's voice*
Guns........lots of guns.

Top Bottom