[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Just chiming in to agree that I was disappointed with the choice of endings and it killed my interest to ever play the game again. From Act 2 on, the main story felt like a struggle for V to survive. Then, it turns out that nothing you do can make that happen. So why do anything?

As for V vs Ctrl+V, we can play a fun game: Schrodinger's Engram. You fall asleep in a specially designed bed. During the night there is a fifty percent chance the bed soulkills you and puts your relic back into your body. There is a fifty percent chance it does nothing but insert a blank relic. You wake up in the morning with all your memories. Who are you?

This is probably the most eloquent way to convey what I was mentioning earlier.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but the ending of this game broke me.

You just can't do this. You can't craft a world so captivating and real, so depressing and brutal, and after hours upon hours of fighting for survival, losing valuable friends, pursuing romance for a glimpse of happiness among the trash, take it all away from me.

I played a male V, did a lot of side content, made sure everyone I cared for was taken care of (as far as the missions would allow). romanced Kerry and decided I was ready to meet my fate. But I never expected it to be so sad. On the first ending I played, I decided to let Johnny and Rogue save me and was so hopeful that Silverhand will somehow manage. We also kept a good relationship and were genuine friends by the time of the conclusion.

But I never for one second thought to sacrifice myself for his second chance. So upon realizing that if I saved myself, I'd have 6 months to live, I stood between the well and the bridge crying until my head hurt because I felt so betrayed. I chose to save myself at the end and got the mansion ending where Del takes you to the Afterlife and you go in space. The ending credits and everyone sending messages, I was sobbing throughout the whole thing. My fiancé thought someone had died. And for me, someone had really died. I felt so broken and betrayed by this game, I can compare it to emotional abuse.

I also did the Panam ending with the nomads. but Kerry left me so he could pursue his newfound passions. By this I also felt betrayed. With that ending you also don't know what will happen to V, he's still dying and even though Panam says they'll look for help in the Badlands, that's not a happy end. It's not even a peaceful end.

I uninstalled the game and will never cause myself such emotional abuse willingly. I don't know if the plan has always been to let Johnny have his second chance, but I also don't see how he deserves it.

I wanted to give V the best life he could have in Night City. To be a living legend, and have a hot (and shallow, but who else can a gay man do in this game) rocker dude boyfriend to go home to, to make a sense of this depressing mess that is Night City, to find peace after all the sh*t he's been through.

But no.

I am beyond frustrated and very hurt by this conclusion. And I am disappointed.
Lot of people feel your pain. As Silariell and eriberri say there is a massive thread on this which will hopefully catch the eye of CDPR, where we can all dream and 'never stop fightin' for V :)

I also did the Panam ending with the nomads. but Kerry left me so he could pursue his newfound passions. By this I also felt betrayed. With that ending you also don't know what will happen to V, he's still dying and even though Panam says they'll look for help in the Badlands, that's not a happy end. It's not even a peaceful end.

Shit... he really just leaves you?! I was already dissapointed by the male gay option but that is even worse! I was hoping that Kerry would at least join you after reading that Judy does...

I feel you 100% and double... I haven't been able to think about anything else either but the dissapointment I felt after finishing the arasaka ending.

As Silariell linked, there is a massive post about it already that might help give some closure with likeminded people.
We can only hope that if we talk about it enough, they will give us a better alternative.

If nothing else it's been a pleasure reading all your guys' opinions and contemplating life after these endings.

I wanted to replay the game again but I cannot bring myself to play all of this over again, there is no point.

The story is such an integral part of this game that Johnny is with you even on the smallest side missions sometimes, and knowing what happens and how you cannot do shit about it takes the wind out of my sails.

I'm hoping for that DLC and that more people start expressing their opinions on the ending when they finish the game, maybe that will sway CDPR for some kind of wrap up DLC.

Some folk are saying new endings but I quite enjoyed the Panam ending and even the legend one, just gives those endings more outcomes based on our choices, maybe we can even save V if not, maybe let us see those 6 months, see what we fought for. Though, I wouldn't mind more choices-- we all know thats what this game is missing in spades.

Last edited:
If nothing else it's been a pleasure reading all your guys' opinions and contemplating life after these endings.

I wanted to replay the game again but I cannot bring myself to play all of this over again, there is no point.

The story is such an integral part of this game that Johnny is with you even on the smallest side missions sometimes, and knowing what happens and how you cannot do shit about it blows the winds out of my sails.

I'm hoping for that DLC and that more people start expressing their opinions on the ending when they finish the game, maybe that will sway CDPR for some kind of wrap up DLC.

Not to mention that if they were to change something really impactful, you'd need to likely replay the whole thing anyway to possibly pick some new choices. So a new playthrough currently wouldn't really serve much of a purpose. At least that's how I am looking at it.

I said nothing about having to like Johnny or find him likeable, not from the get-go or at all if the player doesn't feel like it, but there's a difference between not liking him and straight-up hating him (maybe my mistake was that 'dislike' is too tame a word). For the record, I actually LIKE Johnny, but maybe that's because of how I experienced him - an asshole at times, but he gelled pretty well with my V. Maybe it was the choices I made, I dunno.

However, I believe that they did not plan on making people straight up hate him, and certainly not for the reasons that people probably do, because how are we meant to hate someone played by Keanu. Surely people would come around and adapt to him. The fact that Keanu played him was no lucky coincidence - why else pick an actor that pretty much everybody loves? on some level that was meant to sway us to want to like him despite the fact that he acts the way he does.

I have no way of knowing, but I'm pretty sure CDPR did not bank on people hating the endings - and Johnny - quite as much as they did. It wouldn't be doing them any favors.
I doubt they did, but nothing they could do, at least for me, could ever redeem him in my eyes after our first meeting. I actually hate Johnny, it's not even a dislike. I really doubt they intended for a character played by Keanu to be hated like this. It's like I said before, tone deaf.

The story is such an integral part of this game that Johnny is with you even on the smallest side missions sometimes, and knowing what happens and how you cannot do shit about it takes the wind out of my sails.

Some folk are saying new endings but I quite enjoyed the Panam ending and even the legend one, just wish it wrapped up differently. Though, I wouldn't mind more choices-- we all know thats what this game is missing in spades.
Don't loose hope man, we have to keep this thread alive, so they see it.

This is probably the most eloquent way to convey what I was mentioning earlier.

I still think they should really explore this stuff. I was replaying Prey recently at the same time as listening to Alan Watts' lectures on zen. in one of them (which I can't now find) he mentioned that approach to rebirth and reincarnation in zen tradition is different compared to other schools of Buddhism. I found a similar quote in some other paper on zen, though:

In other words, every time you imagine yourself or a situation that you are in, you are, in a sense, recreating yourself (which is what a Zen practitioner means when they say “death & rebirth”).

this actually makes one of Prey's lingering questions (i.e. are the Morgan we play as and their experience more or less valid than the Morgan who lived through the events and their experience) much more compelling. I would love to see these themes explored in Cyberpunk, too, since it's even more relevant here than in Prey.

has anyone returned to the open world after completing an ending and not have the either tarot card unlocked? is that normal? If I viewed it should it not be unlocked when i return to the open world?

I also think they wasted a lot of money on Keanu, he is great actor but game character don't really need movie start to be great characters.
I like Keanu, but unfortunately, he complicates things. If they would have written things better, or ended things better it could have been awesome to have him in the game. But now he is just a roadblock, sadly. Future content is now limited, because to include Johnny Silverhand, for good or ill, it would require them probably paying a lot of money to get him back.

has anyone returned to the open world after completing an ending and not have the either tarot card unlocked? is that normal? If I viewed it should it not be unlocked when i return to the open world?
Don't think you are in a right thread buddy.

Made a separate post, but joining here also. I demand justice for V.

V deserves better than what they got.

You just can't do this. You can't craft a world so captivating and real, so depressing and brutal, and after hours upon hours of fighting for survival, losing valuable friends, pursuing romance for a glimpse of happiness among the trash, take it all away from me.

I played a male V, did a lot of side content, made sure everyone I cared for was taken care of (as far as the missions would allow). romanced Kerry and decided I was ready to meet my fate. But I never expected it to be so sad. On the first ending I played, I decided to let Johnny and Rogue save me and was so hopeful that Silverhand will somehow manage. We also kept a good relationship and were genuine friends by the time of the conclusion.

But I never for one second thought to sacrifice myself for his second chance. So upon realizing that if I saved myself, I'd have 6 months to live, I stood between the well and the bridge crying until my head hurt because I felt so betrayed. I chose to save myself at the end and got the mansion ending where Del takes you to the Afterlife and you go in space. The ending credits and everyone sending messages, I was sobbing throughout the whole thing. My fiancé thought someone had died. And for me, someone had really died. I felt so broken and betrayed by this game, I can compare it to emotional abuse.

I uninstalled the game and will never cause myself such emotional abuse willingly. I don't know if the plan has always been to let Johnny have his second chance, but I also don't see how he deserves it.

I wanted to give V the best life he could have in Night City. To be a living legend, and have a hot (and shallow, but who else can a gay man do in this game) rocker dude boyfriend to go home to, to make a sense of this depressing mess that is Night City, to find peace after all the sh*t he's been through.

But no.

Yeah, that is the problem that I was afraid of. Since adding new sidequests with additional endings would require more voiceacting and that costs money, especially for movie stars. They would need to make ending where Johnny isn't part of it almost at all. Other way is to expand the Aldecados ending since we left Johnny behind the black wall.
It was epic to have Johnny along for the ride. But really, our story was about V. I don't know details of all the endings, but the one I have played with Panam (and potentially the one with Judy) very much leave the door open for V to continue with his 6 months. Whether that's just spending his remaining days with Panam, running with the Aldeclados or continuing the fight to find a solution alongside Panam and the Nomads. Also wouldn't be a huge leap form the established storyline.

I'm so mad i went to the last mission without finishing all the side quests, now i feel like everything i'm doing in the game is pointless, because you die anyway and i honestly don't see the point in a second character with another starter faction, it all ends in the same depressive way. And you messed up big time with this "go back to the last save" system after the end, i really expected to have and "after the end" thing like you get to build another body for V and keep going after a few months, owing millions to arasaka, or give your body to Silverhand and play as him in your body, i don't know, the state of the end of the game right now feels like shit. This has ruined my game experience way more than bugs.
I agree, I'd trade the game for a buggier version 100% if it meant I get to conclude the story with my V is a satisfying fashion and get to enjoy the city taken place after the story.

Same, this thread has helped me somewhat just seeing more ppl unhappy with it. Im seriously not that pissed about the ending as in the lack of choise. and lack of rpg elements... Not even just stoping by a food stand and eating something. It feels like far cry or something, not an rpg.

As for V vs Ctrl+V, we can play a fun game: Schrodinger's Engram. You fall asleep in a specially designed bed. During the night there is a fifty percent chance the bed soulkills you and puts your relic back into your body. There is a fifty percent chance it does nothing but insert a blank relic. You wake up in the morning with all your memories. Who are you?
If you woke up, you got a blank chip. The catch is if everyone you know is waiting outside for you to tell them what happened, whoever comes out of that room will do so thinking they just got the blank chip.

But if you got Soulkilled, you don't wake up. Something that thinks it's you does.

I feel you. That hurt a little as it feels like Panam and V were so beautiful together, and as the player who nurtured that, we don't get to enjoy it. I was chopping onions during that ending...:(
But silver lining, as I have commented earlier, you are still alive with Panam and the Aldecaldos and potentially still fighting, looking for help as Panam says.

Top Bottom