CPU overheating fix (for me atleast)

+
I noticed when playing my CPU heating was out of control for no discernible reason, averaging 106c (BSD queued me in to a problem)

After some fiddling I noticed if I set power management (CPU) settings from 100% to 99% it dropped my heat to a regular 60-70c with no noticeable degradation in the game.

Hope it helps others with CPU heat issues.

i9-9900@3.60Gh
32G Ram
EVGA rtx2080Ti

Seriously, you should think about a better cooling system - 106C for a CPU is a no-go and full throttling of everything.
With full water cooling I get max 60C - average around 50ish on CPU and even lower on GPU (full load - without load 20-30ish on both).
If you can´t or wont go that way, do a least a full cleanup of your air coolers and everything involved to bring that temp down to manageable.
It´s an instant reward for you, a clean cooler runs with less noise and better cooling.

Seriously, you should think about a better cooling system - 106C for a CPU is a no-go and full throttling of everything.
With full water cooling I get max 60C - average around 50ish on CPU and even lower on GPU (full load - without load 20-30ish on both).
If you can´t or wont go that way, do a least a full cleanup of your air coolers and everything involved to bring that temp down to manageable.
It´s an instant reward for you, a clean cooler runs with less noise and better cooling.

Already using water cooling and the system is freshly cleaned. The problem is related to how they coded the game. For some unusual reason the CPUs where grinding out of control and spiking the heat. I have never had this problem outside of development where I forgot to put a sleep/wait command in a loop/while structure in one of my threads.

The fix I mentioned applied an external restraint on the game and the problem was solved for me.

Sounds like your cooler isn't up to the task of cooling your CPU or something is wrong with the cooler / mounting of the cooler / fan profile.

>I have never had this problem outside of development where I forgot to put a sleep/wait command in a loop/while structure in one of my threads.

Even this shouldn't cause your CPU to overheat... Rendering or Benchmarking should also peg your CPU usage to 100%... things that people do for hours at a time.

I haven't peaked above 70 with a Ryzen 5 3600X... If your I9 goes that high there must be a problem you have, as mentionned above, maybe your cooling does have an issue, whats the one you're using ? Or indeed your game has an issue, have verified the files ? Sounds dumb but sometime its as simple as that

I've got CPU overheating issues too.

Maybe this is a solution:

I bought a brand new MSI Laptop (i7 10750H/RTX2060) and only installed the game, steam, newest drivers etc.
In idle a.s.o. CPU+GPU (40-50°C) temperatures are normal, but when I started the game the temperatures exploded.
CPU 80-96°C / GPU 75-88°C (DragonCenter Settings Medium performence + Cooling Boost).

I've tested everthing, Gamesettings, try to undervolt CPU (that doesn't work with i7H) and GPU with Afterburner.
Nothing happend.
Then I disabled the CPU Turbo Boost in my BIOS and: Everything is fine!
Now my CPU is while gaming at 50-60°C and GPU at 60-70°C in high settings.

I know systems are different, but I hope that this maybe could help someone with the same problems.

Cheers!

I have a i7-8700k, 16 gb ram and 1080 ti and I was having overheat problems like the OP

I was having 100c while playing and 80-90 in menus which made me really scared to play but what he did 100% fixed for me.

now I'm playing at 60-70, now i'm not afraid of playing the game OP you helped me a lot.

thank you very much!

High temperatures with (newer) Intel CPU should be expected, as they aggressively turbo their CPUs. While both the 8700k and the 9900k are not the newest ones anymore, they also have similar boosting algorithms. Also, even though there is a specification provided by Intel on how-to turbo/boost their CPUs, mainboard manufacturers often ignore that and boost for longer periods of time to get "better" reviews, because they have more FPS.

While hitting 105°C on a 11900k and 12900 should still be OK, I'm not so sure about the CPUs mentioned. You should maybe test the CPU if everything works as expected. However, keep in mind to test both, single and multi core performance because the boosting algorithm behaves differently when more or less cores are saturated.

The 99% fix probably changes the boosting behaviour of the CPU, not sure though...

If you are still sure that this is a bug, then please also report it through the proper channels:

I've got CPU overheating issues too.

Maybe this is a solution:

I bought a brand new MSI Laptop (i7 10750H/RTX2060) and only installed the game, steam, newest drivers etc.
In idle a.s.o. CPU+GPU (40-50°C) temperatures are normal, but when I started the game the temperatures exploded.
CPU 80-96°C / GPU 75-88°C (DragonCenter Settings Medium performence + Cooling Boost).

I've tested everthing, Gamesettings, try to undervolt CPU (that doesn't work with i7H) and GPU with Afterburner.
Nothing happend.
Then I disabled the CPU Turbo Boost in my BIOS and: Everything is fine!
Now my CPU is while gaming at 50-60°C and GPU at 60-70°C in high settings.

I know systems are different, but I hope that this maybe could help someone with the same problems.

Cheers!
It's quite normal for laptops to reach very high temps.
CPU turbo boost is of course an intended feature, but if you think it barely hurts your performance i guess it is oké.
But laptops usually get much hotter, and therefor also die much quicker than decently cooled desktops.

Top Bottom