The structure of the main quest is awful and it's not suited for an RPG

+
No. People with this kind of thinking are toxic. Rather, than discuss the flaws they'd rather "enjoy" whatever is given to them. That's the real echochamber.

You can settle for mediocrity, I (we) won't.
Well what do you want? What I see others like yourself saying they want doesn't exist, did you "expect" this game to change that. What game has 20 vastly different endings? You expect game devs to write 10 seperate branching stories? They work on a game for years and we pay $60. The type of games people are saying they want should cost twice that then.
I guess I expected something different and got what I expected = I'm loving it.
Is it the best game of all time? No.. I didn't expect it to be either.

Well what do you want? What I see others like yourself saying they want doesn't exist, did you "expect" this game to change that. What game has 20 vastly different endings? You expect game devs to write 10 seperate branching stories? They work on a game for years and we pay $60. The type of games people are saying they want should cost twice that then.
I guess I expected something different and got what I expected = I'm loving it.
Is it the best game of all time? No.. I didn't expect it to be either.
I expected SOME CHOICE in my RPG. There is NONE. As this thread literally points out. Every single ending is the same ending. We were told this was a game with endless replay value, where your choices matter. We were lied to. If they would have said from the outset, this is an action adventure game, with limited choice. I'd be like okay, cool. No, they didn't. They string us along the entire story, ONLY to kick us in the face in the end. "Yeah, none of your choices mattered btw, lol" :shrug:

Well what do you want? What I see others like yourself saying they want doesn't exist

We want what was promised.

With the way the game is now, dialogue is meaningless (you can literally choose anything in 95% of dialogues and nothing will change aside from a different voiceline between Point A and point B).

Playstyle is meaningless. (you can go full stealth or full rambo and nothing will change, the 'skill check' doors take all of 1 minute of looking around to circumvent, skill check dialogue does nothing 98% of the time, money and crafting is pointless as you can beat the game with shit you pick up off the floor, your starting car is basically top tier so buying new ones is pointless, etc etc.)

Side activities and 'night city life' are missing.

'Style wardrobe' is missing.

We don't want 10 endings, we want distinct endings. We don't care if it's 2 or 200, we just want something that feels like our actions impact the course of the game, which like 2 of them currently do. As I said, you can be Solid Snake blazing through the entire game unseen, or you can be Rambo McTerminator blowing up half of night city, -nothing- about the game world or the story changes.

This is what we want to change. Though you might be right, at this point it might be too large an undertaking.

Off the top off my head and these are just some of the largest ones:

Bloody baron:
wife lives he goes away to treat her
wife dies he goes nuts
kids live/die

Temeria:
Roche, Gwent card and Short haired girl die, North fights off NG, Djikstra rules with his whole monolgue attitude
Dijkstra dies, North gets annexed and is slowly assimilated into NG
Radovid stays king and everything is awful
You can see some of these changes in the game world with the nonhumans being burned / not burned while the game is still going.

Skellige:
Cerys/Dude become rulers, way different questlines for each - literally completely different

Ciri:
based on how "greedy" geralt behaves Ciri princess / Ciri witcher
Worst case: Ciri dead + world dead

Kaer Morhen defence:
Who shows up depends completely on previous choices!
Only 1 choice leads to sourceress in Velen help and stay alive -> hooks up with lambert as well
Djikstra: only helps if you recover his treasure
Roche: only helps if you save short hair girl

There are so many more even in the smaller questlines
A random dialogue choice in Kaer morhen where you talk "trash" at Yennefer has her teleporting you into a lake because shes mad.

Or when you use triss as bait and you hear her scream - the onyl way to get dijkstras treasure is to follow a very specific path and NOT use axii.

There are sooo many of these.

Comparing the "story reactivity" in witcher 3 to this game is beyond absurd.

you literally can't even get the best ending in Wticher 3 if you don't have a snowball fight with Ciri.
There is NOTHING similar to this level of character development or choice in CP2077. Despite the years of "its a serious deep story, with hardcore RPG gameplay that is just as deep as the narrative."

All of you blindly defending CDPR are literal corporate authoritarian apologists. The only impactful or meaningful mesage of CP2077 is showing how you drones will bend over backwards for one of the largest and most valuable game dev companies and point the finger at anyone else who doesn't.
You would fit right in with Night City. And I'm not being hyperbolic, I mean the horrid AI in this game is probably just carbon copies of you guys

Last edited:
Another day another senseless post. No offense. The choices so far in my experience are no different from the witcher 3. They affect the outcome of the characters involved and change future interactions and missions but the main story is the main story. the very first mission demonstrates this if you end up killing Royce early on for example and on and on. These posts seem little more than an echo chamber to parrot things with very little validity. The legitimate bugs, while I have experienced none, I hope are addressed but thank goodness the majority are too busy enjoying the game because the rest are just toxic AF.

Comparing this to the witcher games is a false equivalency. Because the Witcher story is based on a set story, and the characters involved are set characters in those books. There is and should be signficant limitations to choice in the game, in order to stay faithful to the source material to a reasonable extent, while having enough choice to make the story not exactly a copy and paste.

CDPR said that V is not a set character like geralt is. That our choices in dialogue, character creation, and story decisions would determine who our V is. We didn't get any of that.

Last edited:
That our choices in dialogue, character creation, and story decisions would determine who our V is.

You can actually decide what kind of a person V is.

You don't get to shape the world around you.

It's a role-playing game, but not a world-playing game.

How? You don't even have a lifepath option for every single conv, so you go from being a corporate bastard to the standard street kid V in the same conversation
They are probably speaking from their head-canon. Just like how I can decide on my Skyrim character's personality. :think:

How? You don't even have a lifepath option for every single conv, so you go from being a corporate bastard to the standard street kid V in the same conversation

Yeah, because expressing your character through dialogue can only be done when the game clearly labels each option with a renegade/paragon tag, bright colours a bonus.

Yeah, because expressing your character through dialogue can only be done when the game clearly labels each option with a renegade/paragon tag, bright colours a bonus.

Well, videogame RPGs are not Pen and Paper, so it can only be done with dialogue and choices in quests.

If you know any other way, please enlighten me

The main quest is more suited for a game like Mass Effect or Last of Us. Not an open world game. They could fix it by taking out all reference about only having a couple weeks to live and have Vik say you got about a year or so, that would be more fitting to this game. But the way its structured now ruins the game for me and any replay ability.
I've enjoyed reading this thread so far. Some comments are well thought out.

I agree with your statement. I hate, absolutely hate, the structure of the main quest. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, glitches notwithstanding, but I have to pretend like the main quest isn't there. I do the missions because it's the only way to progress in some cases, but I ignore it. The main quest is just some sort of strange dream that my character occasionally has, probably due to me installing too much cyberware.

I will write it directly cause there is too much sweet talk about this.

I will say that this is a "good" game (that is maximum I can take). But it's not the game it was promised.

We were simply LIED by CPDR about what the game they will deliver. The story is forced road with forced choices and your character is reduced as a simple mule to carry the true important character - Jhonny Silverhand, who costed CDPR too much to be side-character only.

We were promised that our background story will matter - it does not.

We were promised that our choices will matter - they do not.

We were promised we will have choices - we have almost none

We were promised that we will be able to shape our V - we can't. When playing "The Hunt" quest I wanted my V to be cold, calculated merc who is here only for creds. But my V is all "omg, poor kids. Omg, I am so sorry Riven. You can count on me any time". WTF? That is not my V. That is your CDPR V.

We were promised that our choices will have consequences and that world will react - nothing like that happens.

We were prmised that we can save ourselfs - we can't. We die just in different ways.

We were promised that V will be the main chracter - sadly we share that with Mr.Jhonny cause again - business chart showed that game will probably sell better because "Keanu Revees, breathtaking hero of gamers" will carry casual gamers to the end of story.

Generally CDPR lied and advertised different game. If I knew this will be linear story like GTA/Far Cry I would not buy game. I was promised RPG. I got Far Cry.

[Added spoiler tags due to at least one huge spoiler.]

• What Endings you get is entirely decided by one set of Dialogues during the final mission. Anything you do (or don’t do) during the story leading up to the ending is completely inconsequential. There are no “wrong” choices.

My issue is that there are no right choices!

Comparing this to the witcher games is a false equivalency. Because the Witcher story is based on a set story, and the characters involved are set characters in those books. There is and should be signficant limitations to choice in the game, in order to stay faithful to the source material to a reasonable extent, while having enough choice to make the story not exactly a copy and paste.

CDPR said that V is not a set character like geralt is. That our choices in dialogue, character creation, and story decisions would determine who our V is. We didn't get any of that.
Kinda. The games are continuations of the books, not retelling of the books. Basically like what they did for Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom