Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues

+
Same flatlined issue on my side, sometimes when starting the game, sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after an hour. Submitted a ticket with dxdiag infor event loger info, etc... - there was no response. From my understanding there are hundreds, if not thousands of people, having the same issue.
There is no meaningful response from CDPR, just a couple of obvious steps for troubleshooting (check drivers, check win version, some amateur stuff), besides my favorite "we are looking into this". I went though all of the steps, needeless to say there was no improvement, but I think that everybody from this thread is aware of that.
This is too frustrating to bother with, so I wont play this game anymore. By the way I had no issue before 1.4 patch, which makes the whole situation even more ridiculous. I just wanted to provide an off topic suggestion to CDPR PRs and damage control staff. May be some moderatore can pass it upwards. Here is what they should have stated:

1. Say to all users with this problem "Don't play this game in the next month/half a year/year". Our patches are making things worst, we are focused on consoles now, because we screwed there even worse.
2. Offer refunds. Since there is soo neglectible numer of people experiencing this problem, that it is not your current priority, you won't suffer and financial loss.
3. And this is the most important for me, fire the person that wrote this "Cyberpunk 2077 is a DirectX 12 game — DirectX 12 works on Windows 7 thanks to porting tools and some features may be limited. Keep in mind that official support for Windows 7 from Microsoft ended in January 2020. " Are you f***ing kidding me? Stating this in a way like it is my problem that I am still running win 7? IT IS WRITTEN IN THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS THAT IT IS SUPPORTED!!! If this was enterprise SW you could have been sued for such an ignorant statemant.

Lets see how much time it will take for somebody to delete this for being off topic. I bet that is going to be a lot faster than addressing he issue itself!
I agree. If they had just said to people "Yeah, we're changing our minimum requirements to Win10 because DirectX 12 is a requirement and the wrapper for Win7 is simply not workable." I would have said "Okay, that sucks for me but whatever." That appears to be the de-facto cause of the "gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)" crash in nearly all cases, and in cases where it occurs in Win10, a clean reinstall of windows appears to be the fix based on people in this thread.

Which firmly puts the root cause in DirectX 12 for "gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)" issues. I personally would like a clear statement from CDPR about if they intend to fix the wrapper issues or an admission they can't get the final product working on Win7 as originally intended, along with an update to the minimum requirements to clearly show Win10 as a requirement.

Edit: Seems that not even every version of Win10 is applicable, due to DirectX 12 changes over the life of Win10, only the main line of development (as opposed to enterprise editions and whatnot) has the proper functions that 2077 is making calls for. Thus the Win10 instances of the "gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)" crash are explained at least in part.

Last edited:
Was a update today for people telling you that if you have the start up crash to look at updating your Windows 10.

Cyberpunk 2077 PC Crash Issues
Unfortunately that does not help those of us that cannot update without rebuilding the system. There should be a start up work around that allows it to start with non DCH drivers, the way it does for Windows 7. I don't know technically what it was yet. I play other DX12 games but I don't know if support is going to get back to me or if I'm locked out of playing. The Contact support page didn't send conformations.

For anyone running off a Samsung T7 SSD, I recommend updating the firmware. I didn't even know drives could have firmware that needs updating, but here we are. Search for "Samsung Portable SSD Software", install and run the update.

Previously I had crashes constantly. Could play sometimes as long as an hour, or would crash repeatedly every 5-10 mins. Since updating, I've had 1 crash in the past 3 hrs of gameplay. Not perfect, but much much better.

I'm running:
AMD 3700X (have done the hexedit patch)
32 GB memory
1TB Samsung T7 External USB-C SSD
Running at Medium Raytracing with DLSS Balanced.

As frequently mentioned, PC-Crashes can be reported to CDPR support here:

Yeah, and what for ?
I did report it 5 days ago and guess what ? Nothing. Nobody answered, nobody contacted me with any info, no emails. Nothing. So i am customer who purchased this game, have latest patches on Windows 10 H2, spec which is detected by game as for Ultra graphics and all i can do is create character and then watch game flatten every time while loading.
I was patient, but i'm getting to the point where i will ask to refund the game. I have impression as devs are focused on consoles patches. Regarding PCs it seems they are rather trying to patch game so it is not crashing for ppl who already can play it or to eliminate bugs players experienced. I did not see any single note what about ppl who can't even go further than character creator.
So as much as i love CDPR i am pissed off as hell. Maybe Cyberpank is good, maybe event great or best game in 2020, but how can i tell if i can't run it on high spec PC ? For me right now the game is 0/10, cause it is character creation simulator, and i was rather hoping for something more ...

Hi All,

I had the same kind of issue with this message :

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0x3000080E7.
File: <Unknown>(0)

For me it seems that it was because of DS4 windows that I used for my duaslhock, since I turned it off I don't have any crash.
Don't know if it can be useful to you.

Reporting in after about 10+ hours of gameplay.
Not a single crash since I installed Windows 10 instead of 7.
Like said before, I was suffering from a plethora of diverse crashes and stutters, lags and fps hits.
I crashed like 10 times an hour before, if the game even let me start.
And my Windows 7 installation was pristine.
Now the thing purrs like a kitten and I can play on medium(make sure to put textures on medium as well, those eat a lot of frames) on a 6600k and gtx970...which is actually impressively optimized.
The game is beautiful and fun. I just wish I knew this was the issue earlier.

The juryrigged DX12 on Windows 7 does not work with Cyberpunk right now.

Reminder to CDPR to address this so people will know. They believe it runs on Windows 7 because it is listed as supported on your requirement sheet. When I saw Night City Wire I thought "Sweet, don't need to change my OS or Rig"...well, one of those was true.

15/12/2020
I have ASrock Taichi 8gb oc. This same like others - Fresh Windows, i play 10h before first crash, today(after 4 days) i try to play and i see that game after loading(continue button) crash, i try to open one more time Cyberpunk but Windows start freez, then i restrat comp but before i see that steam stop working and windowst have to use "forceed close", radeon settings stop working(can't open after game crash i try few times -Windows freez). When i restart computer, other games working - Metro, The Division 2, POE etc but Cyberpunk not. HELP. I send crash report, i see that my gpu have unknow problem.

16/12/2020
After Windows Update game crash
KB4592438 and KB4580419

I just copy becose i wrote in wrong place(?)

Win 10 X64 Home
16 gb ram 3200
Ryzen 5 3600x on x570 pro
ssd 3/2gb transfer Viper
ASrock Taichi RX5700 xt 8gb oc+

Hi,
I also get crashes on PC.
Since v1.04 (via GOG) mostly when accessing the inventory. Sometimes it works and I can switch guns etc., sometimes it crashes when loading the screen (I see my character distorted for a short moment right before/during the crash; seems like right before finishing loading the screen).
Most of the time the crash is so hard, my monitor goes black and doesn't receive a video signal anymore, until I restart (didn't experience those hard crashes before 1.04 I think, but had crashes to desktop).
A few times it only crashed to desktop and I was able to send a report.

My PC is not the newest:
CPU: i7 4790K (never overclocked)
RAM: 32 GB DDR3 (PC3-12800H, Crucial Tech.)
Mainboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
GPU: GTX 1080 (8GB, ASUS Strix, never overclocked)
Newest GPU driver recommeded by Gforce experience (currently v460.79)
SSD

Using borderless window mode at 2560x1440 resolution on a 1440p monitor, since I don't get a full screen option (a win7 thing with this game I think) with mixed medium an high settings.
I would play at 1080 resolution, but then it shows me the game in a just smallwer window, instead of expanding the window to the full monitor size with lower ingame resolution (not sure how borderless window with lower resolution works on other games since I never had a game before that does not give me the full screen option which I prefer).

So, today I updated my GeForce driver to 460.89 and also updated my Win7 to Win10.
Result of this is that I did not have a single crash in the last 6 hours of playtime. I accessed map, inventory, skill tree etc. many times, without problems. I hope it stays that way.
I also switched to Full screen mode ingame since it's now a option for me.

I can recommend each Win7 user upgrading to Win10. It's still possible to do that legaly for free (look online for download of the Windows10Upgrade.exe). I've done it that way (alternativly there seems to be the possibility to do a fresh install of Win10 with a valid Win7 key, but haven't looked further into this).

I've managed to resolve my problem. Dunno why, but after changing my motherboard it doesn't want to work with one of my RAM 2400MHz, I have 2x8GB, and when i plug one of them (the one that is older) it crashes, when I plug the other one it works. Tested in Witcher 3, same thing. So apparently one of them is damaged or something.

Yeah, and what for ?
I did report it 5 days ago and guess what ? Nothing. Nobody answered, nobody contacted me with any info, no emails.

Due to the extreme amount of reports these days it might be impossible for them to answer everyone in time (and yes, I get that this may not matter from a costumers perspective).

Still, the more info they have regarding issues, the more likely they can fix it with a patch. The next one should be out there soon, we‘ll see how it goes.

Besides, there is a public statement here regarding the whole situation in general:

Couldn't startup game for 3 days, I was trying every possible fix mentioned, changing hexadecimal, disabling overlays etc.
What did fix flatlined error at startup was updating my windows 10 to 20h2. Before this I was running old 1607 version and that was the problem. Hope this will help someone with same problem as me.

I did some Testing on my System:
Nvidia RTX 3070
Amd Ryzen 5 2600x
16 GB Ram
Geforce Driver Version 460.89 (beta)
Windows 10 Ver. 20H2

I found a good test is doing the Ride with Dex after the tutorial,
because when I look at him in the car for the whole sequence
my GPU boost to over 1900 Mhz for a long time.
RTX on or off, with DLSS or not, if I then can keep the GPU under 70°C (ca. 158°F)
it goes through the sequence without problem,
if it goes over then the game crashes randomly with the dx12 error:
e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

my solution was to bump up the fanspeed on the higher temps in MSI Afterburner
and I guess underclocking (I didn't want to mess with that) as some people suggested
would do the same thing, meaning keep it stable.

Now I don't know if Cyberpunk puts it in an overboosted state that makes it unstable
or if that is a driver/dx12 issue, but I can imagine it also causing complete shutdowns
on systems with bad airflow, because the whole thing heats up to much.

Hope that helps some people

My GPU is 35° (watercooling) when I launch the game and is still crashing (no over/underclock, 1845Mhz), same GPU crash

I never had any issues regarding crashes. Played more than 30h so far but today, after I installed 2x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM the game started to crash after just a few minutes.
R5 2600, RX590 32GB RAM

Edit: Looks like the new RAM is not working correctly. :(

Last edited:
The game crashes immediately after leaving the bar. There are many solutions on the internet but I am afraid of breaking the game. Does anyone know when the update will arrive for this problem.

I did some Testing on my System:
Nvidia RTX 3070
Amd Ryzen 5 2600x
16 GB Ram
Geforce Driver Version 460.89 (beta)
Windows 10 Ver. 20H2

I found a good test is doing the Ride with Dex after the tutorial,
because when I look at him in the car for the whole sequence
my GPU boost to over 1900 Mhz for a long time.
RTX on or off, with DLSS or not, if I then can keep the GPU under 70°C (ca. 158°F)
it goes through the sequence without problem,
if it goes over then the game crashes randomly with the dx12 error:
e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

my solution was to bump up the fanspeed on the higher temps in MSI Afterburner
and I guess underclocking (I didn't want to mess with that) as some people suggested
would do the same thing, meaning keep it stable.

Now I don't know if Cyberpunk puts it in an overboosted state that makes it unstable
or if that is a driver/dx12 issue, but I can imagine it also causing complete shutdowns
on systems with bad airflow, because the whole thing heats up to much.

Hope that helps some people

Update: Still had a crash with RTX and DLSS on, Temperature was OK but GPU Clock spiked to 1950 MHz (normally its under 1800 MHz)

Hello everyone:

I have managed to stabilize my problems, I have made the game stable on my system.

I wrote in this same thread with message number # 1924, I hope it helps someone.

After playing 2 days I have not had any problems.

The problems I had were:

1. EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)

2. Out of Memory! from pool 'PoolRenderBlobsBuffers'

3. Out of Memory! from pool 'PoolGI'

Although the game is usually stable in memory accesses both in the system and in the GPU, I think the problem resided in the memory that it occasionally needs at times of higher load such as zone changes, especially when I go by car or motorcycle .

The solution to my problems has been to touch virtual memory in windows 10.

Currently I have automatically assigned 2432MB although the system recommends 2930MB.

Another thing that I have also changed is the keyboard since I had one for Bluethooth and I have changed it for a USB one.

I hope this solution will help someone, now I have to start improving my FPS since my system remains at about 30 - 41 depending on which area I am in the city and always counting that I am going by motorcycle or car, walking improves somewhat but not excessively.

I play in Ultra with RTX on and DLSS in "AUTO".

Yeah, and what for ?
I did report it 5 days ago and guess what ? Nothing. Nobody answered, nobody contacted me with any info, no emails. Nothing. So i am customer who purchased this game, have latest patches on Windows 10 H2, spec which is detected by game as for Ultra graphics and all i can do is create character and then watch game flatten every time while loading.
I was patient, but i'm getting to the point where i will ask to refund the game. I have impression as devs are focused on consoles patches. Regarding PCs it seems they are rather trying to patch game so it is not crashing for ppl who already can play it or to eliminate bugs players experienced. I did not see any single note what about ppl who can't even go further than character creator.
So as much as i love CDPR i am pissed off as hell. Maybe Cyberpank is good, maybe event great or best game in 2020, but how can i tell if i can't run it on high spec PC ? For me right now the game is 0/10, cause it is character creation simulator, and i was rather hoping for something more ...
Exactly THIS...
Devs are working to patch consoles as the reviews for consoles come crashing down. I already got a 'strike' for suggesting that management needed to be 'released' from their jobs for the butched job they've done on this game. And as 'rude' as that might be, its honestly true, and the reviews and this thread PROVES it. Someone is responsible for this mess, if not a whole bunch of people. To release a game in this state is just unacceptable. It's like buying a fridge and not being able to open the door. Beyond disappointing. This clearly needed to be in development for at least another 5 months.

Its a huge flop in my eyes. I press play on the launcher and instant flat line, despite being able to play prior to the hotfix no issues. Now I cant even load it up.

Top Bottom