Cyberpunk is the new VtM: Bloodlines

+
Warts and all, I love this game - it scratches this really specific itch for us who like an RPG set in a dark and decadent urban setting, and the more I play the more I realize that this game copies beat for beat the controversies that plagued VtM Bloodlines on release: basically being forced to release a fundamentally unfinished and bugged product with many missing features. Like VtM, it has an undercurrent of latent misogyny that's parsed as 'gritty', but the narrative is often brilliant in its presentation and sheer inventiveness and basically every corner of the game drips with detail and atmosphere - it gives this beautifully vibrant setting, memorable characters (Johnny is essentially Jack from Bloodlines) and the typically noir sense that you are a small fry in a web of corruption and manipulation. Not to mention, both have a similar dark electro killer theme song that tells you from the get go that you are in for a dark and lush treat!

Discuss I guess? :D

Last edited:
True! And I hope they build on this IP and expand it, and not abandon it due to consumer disappointment with the state of release. Basically, no one is bitching about the narrative that much, because it's *good*.

Warts and all, I love this game - it scratches this really specific itch for us who like an RPG set in a dark and decadent urban setting, and the more I play the more I realize that this game copies beat for beat the controversies that plagued VtM Bloodlines on release: basically being forced to release a fundamentally unfinished and bugged product with many missing features. Like VtM, it has an undercurrent of latent misogyny that's parsed as 'gritty', but the narrative is often brilliant in its presentation and sheer inventiveness and basically every corner of the game drips with detail and atmosphere - it gives this beautifully vibrant setting, memorable characters (Johnny is essentially Jack from Bloodlines) and the typically noir sense that you are a small fry in a web of corruption and manipulation. Not to mention, both have a similar dark electro killer theme song that tells you from the get go that you are in for a dark and lush treat!

Discuss I guess? :D
Right now - not even close.

Yes, my first thought (without reading the news about it published last April) was: this is Bloodlines multiplied x1000000
Playing a few quests (now level 12) there are similitudes:
- Computer hacking, reading mails, deactivating security, doors, etc.
- RPG in first person, with blades, guns, fists, etc.
- Conversations, with options for characteristics, background, etc.
- Atmosphere
- A mundane PC trapped in a omnipotent web
Of course it's more ambitious and, if patched correctly, a game that will be of cult to RPG players.

True! And I hope they build on this IP and expand it, and not abandon it due to consumer disappointment with the state of release. Basically, no one is bitching about the narrative that much, because it's *good*.
True... very limited for a RPG, but good enough... even great, in places.

Top Bottom