The clothing system in this game needs to change

+
I'm frankly astounded by the clothing system (or lack thereof) in this game. In the dark future, in a city plagues by rampant consumerism, I should have every option available to me for stylizing my V. What I have instead is the equivalent of getting a luck find at the local goodwill store.

Armor rating should not be inherently tied to clothing.

The problem, at its core, is that there is an inherent armor system tied to the clothing. What this (very poorly designed) clothing system does is limit the player to choosing clothing options not for their style, but rather for their armor rating and "gem" slots, i.e. You're playing along, dressed like a Thrift Store clown, when you find a really cool looking jacket. Unfortunately, that jacket has a very poor tier/rating, and/or does not have gem sockets, so you discard it and just opt to continue looking like a circus clown. This may have been (barely) acceptable in The Witcher 3, but it is completely unacceptable in Cyberpunk 2077.

I am going to fix this for you, CDPR. It really is very simple.

• Except for a few iconic items, all clothing items can be purchased at clothing and gun shops (body armor style options for the latter).
  • No clothing item mentioned above has an inherent armor rating. It is literally zero.
  • Clothing items instead have "slots" that can be used for upgrades (Armadillo, Resist!, etc) based on their tier level (see below)
  • Clothing tier availability for purchase can still be tied to street cred or player level.
  • All of the aforementioned clothing items can be purchased in all of the five tiers and have attributes as follows:
    • White Tier (Common) - Lowest Cost/Cred - 0 Slots
    • Green Tier (Uncommon) - Low Cost/Cred - 1 Slot
    • Blue Tier (Rare) - Medium Cost/Cred - 2 Slots
    • Purple Tier (Epic) - High Cost/Cred - 3 Slots
    • Orange Tier (Legendary) - Highest Cost/Cred - 4 Slots
That's it. This very simple redesign of the clothing system solves the existing issues.
  • Allows players to dress their characters in the style of their choosing, and is not based on chance
  • Crafting recipes for these items can still be looted out in the world
  • Higher tier items locked behind street cred can still be found and looted out in the world (thereby preserving that "game of chance")
  • Clothing mods and their blueprints can still be bought, looted, and crafted.
P.S. Don't get me started on the fact that I have to save and reload my game to "try on" store items.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
You can upgrade the clothes you like though, the material price for that gets a bit stiff over consectutive upgrades however, so much as to say that it get prohibative and you're better off swapping it for something else rather than continue pouring resources into it. But at least the option is kind of there.

You can upgrade the clothes you like though, the material price for that gets a bit stiff over consectutive upgrades however, so much as to say that it get prohibative and you're better off swapping it for something else rather than continue pouring resources into it. But at least the option is kind of there.

"Kind of there" isn't good enough. The system, as is, is poorly designed.

iCake

Forum veteran
"Kind of there" isn't good enough. The system, as is, is poorly designed.

I agree with you on that, but the poorly part I can't quite agree with. It is just a system we saw in many other games before. I know that using such, let's say, right-in-the-face language is quite popular these days, especially in regards to this game, but I'd rather stay cool and try to see things for what they are. But it's just me, I'm not trying to patronize anyone here or whatnot. I've got some strong feelings here too and by and large with a good reason.

A cosmetic slot for items would also suffice IMO
This is exactly what I was going to suggest.
Like they *tried* by giving us a slot for special outfits (but most of those are silly or uninteresting IMO) so there *must* be code in the game that allows for clothing to be displayed in place of the existing equips so hopefully it's something they could do in the future.

You can upgrade items, yes - but you cannot add mod slots or upgrade their rarity, so the flashy clown legendary item you find in a random box will always be the better choice.

Cosmetic slot makes the most sense. Honestly this has been the most baffling of many game design choices in CP2077.

You either look like a clown or you die on the streets. Especially on hard or above. Style over substance, sure. And seems semi intentional with how Johnny says you look like shit style wise. No matter what you wear.

Upgrades are possible, yes. But they are prohibitively expensive and can only help up to a point. What if the best looking thing you found is a grey with 10 armour and your current thing is 150+ armour value? Crafting and upgrades aint helping unless you wanna fire up cheat engine.

A Cyberpunk game where what you wear doesn't matter at all beyond armour is kinda sad, might just be another thing cut.

I kinda wish we could craft any clothing we want, buying all of them from shops instead of this mega limited selection of completely random stuff. I expected crafting to be a solution to the issue but it's not really any better since you cant even select the look of what you craft.

You can upgrade items, yes - but you cannot add mod slots or upgrade their rarity, so the flashy clown legendary item you find in a random box will always be the better choice.

Exactly.
Post automatically merged:

Cosmetic slot makes the most sense. Honestly this has been the most baffling of many game design choices in CP2077.

You either look like a clown or you die on the streets. Especially on hard or above. Style over substance, sure. And seems semi intentional with how Johnny says you look like shit style wise. No matter what you wear.

Upgrades are possible, yes. But they are prohibitively expensive and can only help up to a point. What if the best looking thing you found is a grey with 10 armour and your current thing is 150+ armour value? Crafting and upgrades aint helping unless you wanna fire up cheat engine.

A Cyberpunk game where what you wear doesn't matter at all beyond armour is kinda sad, might just be another thing cut.

I kinda wish we could craft any clothing we want, buying all of them from shops instead of this mega limited selection of completely random stuff. I expected crafting to be a solution to the issue but it's not really any better since you cant even select the look of what you craft.

Exactly.

All good points. Though I still haven't seen anyone mention the fact that there's no Max Tac or Trauma Team gear in the game except for a TT Vest.

I don't see why they don't do what Assassin's Creed Odyssey (or, for that matter, many other games, MMOs, etc) did and make it so you can choose your clothing to have any appearance of any clothes youve acquired. That way, clothing can still have armor ratings attached, but you can also just make it look like some other piece of clothing. (Minor spoilers ahead) That would make things like Johnny Silverhand's clothes wearable without being a huge detriment due to lack of mod slots.

For "reference" you can "reroll" your loot box for each gear you want to get the correct slot mods number.... the limit of slot mod is capped by type:

Torso (Inner/Outer) 4
The rest 3.

So you can save and reload if you don't get the "expected" slot mods... but yes, we should be able to add more slot (at least with crafting skill / Perf). I learnt of the reroll after getting all the cosmetic gears I wanted...

For "reference" you can "reroll" your loot box for each gear you want to get the correct slot mods number.... the limit of slot mod is capped by type:

Torso (Inner/Outer) 4
The rest 3.

So you can save and reload if you don't get the "expected" slot mods... but yes, we should be able to add more slot (at least with crafting skill / Perf). I learnt of the reroll after getting all the cosmetic gears I wanted...

Yeah, I'm aware of the re-rolling save/reload thing. And I'm glad people are sharing it.

But I'm not talking about finding some save scum exploit to make things better for the player, I'm talking about CDPR redesigning the clothing system so that it provides the player with both freedom of customization and armor/progression utility. I believe the rewrite I made in the OP accomplishes exactly that.

Yeah it would help by a lot and wouldn't require the devs to remake the system and even the encounters.
Having the armor coming from the mods, basically you slotting kevlar under your clothing.
Anyone was to able to catalog every piece of armor to know how you can build V. threads? I have this impression where the NPCs look 10 times better than me all the time, I look like a mall cop trying too hard to wear military gear lmfao :sad:

Yes. This is such a big obvious deal that I'll be generous to the devs and assume it's one of the features they didn't have time to implement and are certainly planning on implementing and not something they overlooked completely. Because that would be embarrassing :ROFLMAO:
It kills my immersion to be dressed, as you so well put it, like a thrift store clown.

The only thing I'd amend to your suggetion: "all clothing items can be purchased at clothing and gun shops" is that it's acceptable that not all clothing is available at all stores though perhaps you didn't mean that. Shopping around for certain styles in certain stores in certain neighborhoods makes sense, but it's a very VERY minor point in the big picture that we can't dress as we please.

Top Bottom