The lack of 3rd person view

+

Guest 4375874

Companies insist on doing wrong what is already known on how to do it right. Games of this caliber are and always should be, in 3rd person and with cinematics in the crucial moments. Period.
wrong for you, that doesn't mean you are right. Unless you are a part of the development team I don't think you have any insight on saying what's right or wrong for the story the devs want to tell. Red Dead redemption is an otherwise slow and monotonous game, that's not the case here and if this game had me flopping about like GTA while aiming it would be terrible and you would all be here complaining about the same thing. There's no auto or assisted aiming which I'm sure you noticed meaning 3rd person would be ridiculous if playing with a controller. I'm going to trust the devs knew what they were doing

wrong for you, that doesn't mean you are right. Unless you are a part of the development team I don't think you have any insight on saying what's right or wrong for the story the devs want to tell. Red Dead redemption is an otherwise slow and monotonous game, that's not the case here and if this game had me flopping about like GTA while aiming it would be terrible and you would all be here complaining about the same thing. There's no auto or assisted aiming which I'm sure you noticed meaning 3rd person would be ridiculous if playing with a controller. I'm going to trust the devs knew what they were doing

Upside down. The product is directed towards the customer. There is no one who has more right to criticize Cyberpunk 2077 than we, the users. At the end of the day, we are the ones who pay the salaries to the developers in exchange for something that generates interest. This game, to the vast majority of fans, generates the opposite.

This is an old, old topic. CDPR made it clear some time ago that this would be a first person game. I was right on that band wagon for TPP, I'm not crazy about first person and still not. My argument back then when this topic first appeared was that in this day and age all games should be 'convertible', that is, capable of both perspectives so the player would have that choice. Here we are. CDPR argument was it for purposes of 'immersion' and artistic license, or something like that. OK, I get it, and that's fine. The immersion thing is not working, for myself anyway. We can't change now, so I'll just continue to play, and despite the bugs and such (PC) I am enjoying the game. Just have to deal with it.

Well, given Sony's pulled the game, who knows. Maybe they'll use that time to consider amending their faulty decision. It's unlikely, of course, but one can always hope.

Besides, if nothing else they'll probably play the "WE LISTENED!" card in 2022 when they release the Multiplayer expansion, since that will require fleshed out third-person animations anyway. Meaning they'll probably release the "Official Third Person DLC" at the same time and pass it off as having listened to feedback when the truth is it took almost two years to finish working on third-person animations.

If we don't communicate our wishes, we will never be able to change anything. Therefore, if enough people show interest in such an option, the devs can change their opinion on TPP.

PS: FPP won't be replaced by TPP. You have the option to switch, but you dont have to use it. Everyone should be able to choose the perspective they like the best.

If we don't communicate our wishes, we will never be able to change anything. Therefore, if enough people show interest in such an option, the devs can change their opinion on TPP.

PS: FPP won't be replaced by TPP. You have the option to switch, but you dont have to use it. Everyone should be able to choose the perspective they like the best.

Will they add third person? I don't know. I was extremely disappointed when they changed to first person only but eventually I was able to accept that given their reasoning. I put my big boy pants on and took them at their word that it was nessacery to remove immersion for at least half of the player base in order to create this amazing so called first person immersion. After playing the game, my big boy pants were not needed and my extension of good faith was abused.

If it's worth anything, adding third person would be HUGE and I can't state how huge it would be towards bring me back into the fold of counting the days to when I get to purchase their next product. I also know for an OBJECTIVE FACT that many millions feel the exact same way about this issue. Here's hoping they're paying attention.

I wish they was more honest like obsidian with outer worlds they told people right away "we know people love 3rd person view we don't have money to do it we probably will do it for next game" they told people that money is problem here CDPR tryed so hard to sell the idea that Immersion is big deal that 1st person is only way, how HUD would not work in 3rd person.

I don't claim that 3rd person is more immersive for everyone, and is great that for people who love 1st person they get to play game in their favorite view, but how you get your favorite view why not give option for people who like 3rd person to explore game in their favorite view?

I wish they was more honest like obsidian with outer worlds they told people right away "we know people love 3rd person view we don't have money to do it we probably will do it for next game" they told people that money is problem here CDPR tryed so hard to sell the idea that Immersion is big deal that 1st person is only way, how HUD would not work in 3rd person.

I don't claim that 3rd person is more immersive for everyone, and is great that for people who love 1st person they get to play game in their favorite view, but how you get your favorite view why not give option for people who like 3rd person to explore game in their favorite view?

It's possible I'm wrong but I have a hard time believing it was a money issue considering all the marketing and the fact that they put Keanu Reeves into the game. They had a huge budget. But like I said, maybe I'm wrong.

But yes, the option would be greatly appreciated.

It's possible I'm wrong but I have a hard time believing it was a money issue considering all the marketing and the fact that they put Keanu Reeves into the game. They had a huge budget. But like I said, maybe I'm wrong.

But yes, the option would be greatly appreciated.
If anything I'd argue that the reason for Keanu and all of the e-celeb and YouTuber cameos they wasted money on was to keep the hype train running. Consider the en masse negative backlash they took for the sudden 180 reveal that "Oh, actually, it was never going to be third-person even though we gave that impression and did absolutely nothing to dispel such notions, and we're three builds into this with several third-person elements already constructed."

They'd kept everyone in suspense for five whole years, only to lose the interest of a significant portion of their potential playerbase with the decision. So what do they do? They court the online community. Every person they had cameo has spent the past two years hyping the game to death. Add a little Keanu on top, riding off the mainstream wave of popularity he had for John Wick, whilst also hooking the oldschool cyberpunk fans from Johnny Mnemonic and The Matrix, and you have a hype machine that will guarantee preorders.

What I don't think they were expecting was the negative response to the game on such a level that SONY of all people would pull the game from the store and start issuing full refunds. They basically managed to out-Bethesda Bethesda of all people in terms of disappointing their consumers. Warranted I think that the reason for the disappointment being so much greater is because CDPR has spent the past decade or so presenting itself as being markedly different from the rest of the AAA studios who deliver a faulty product and Day One patches and renege on the promises made to their fans.

When you put yourself on such a high pedestal, the fall is naturally that much more grievous.

If anything I'd argue that the reason for Keanu and all of the e-celeb and YouTuber cameos they wasted money on was to keep the hype train running. Consider the en masse negative backlash they took for the sudden 180 reveal that "Oh, actually, it was never going to be third-person even though we gave that impression and did absolutely nothing to dispel such notions, and we're three builds into this with several third-person elements already constructed."

They'd kept everyone in suspense for five whole years, only to lose the interest of a significant portion of their potential playerbase with the decision. So what do they do? They court the online community. Every person they had cameo has spent the past two years hyping the game to death. Add a little Keanu on top, riding off the mainstream wave of popularity he had for John Wick, whilst also hooking the oldschool cyberpunk fans from Johnny Mnemonic and The Matrix, and you have a hype machine that will guarantee preorders.

What I don't think they were expecting was the negative response to the game on such a level that SONY of all people would pull the game from the store and start issuing full refunds. They basically managed to out-Bethesda Bethesda of all people in terms of disappointing their consumers. Warranted I think that the reason for the disappointment being so much greater is because CDPR has spent the past decade or so presenting itself as being markedly different from the rest of the AAA studios who deliver a faulty product and Day One patches and renege on the promises made to their fans.

When you put yourself on such a high pedestal, the fall is naturally that much more grievous.
It is difficult to say for certain but we can certainly try to understand given the patterns which are observable. Something like this might have been much less of an issue say 10 years ago, still a big issue but not the issue it is in 2020. I used to think your average person had the awareness of a rock 10-15 years ago but I guess thanks to the internet things have changed and awareness spreads at lightspeed resulting in the stakes being that much higher.

Ultimately is does suck because so many of us 'felt' like CDPR was one of those company's that was leading the charge 'for the gamers' and then whamo...the floor falls out beneath everyone. I never was of the mind that CDPR is my friend or anything like that but I certainly held them to a higher standard which I guess is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is I bought new hardware and preordered their game almost a year in advance because I had so much faith in them, the curse is reality is bitch sometimes.

When its all said and done though, I still want them to reclaim that position we held them in but part of that is for selfish reasons of course which is something I have to be honest with myself about. Either way rise and fall, come and go is a pattern that is hardwired into the human experience and I accept that whole heartedly. If ends up not being CDPR, someone else will step up to claim that spot.

I have no problem with it having no third person view. But what really bugs me is the removal of third person cutscenes as seen in the 2018 demo. I would have love too see my V interact with characters in cinematics. I would really want to see his face animated with that advanced mocap they keep bragging about

I have no problem with it having no third person view. But what really bugs me is the removal of third person cutscenes as seen in the 2018 demo. I would have love too see my V interact with characters in cinematics. I would really want to see his face animated with that advanced mocap they keep bragging about

THIS. THIS. THIS. You don't want a third person view, okay. But why can't we change camera angles during dialogues like the old Mass Effect. They did it. Long ago. We could keep the immersion level in first-person mode, or we could switch to a movie shot and see our V wearing a stupid hat and gas mask.

Damn this game has so much potential, you can squeeze so many more solutions and mechanics into it. My biggest fear at the moment about this game is that future expansions will only be additional quests and content like additional vehicles / weapons / clothes and not necessarily adding something to the gameplay itself.

I get why there is no such option, you're supposed to really get into the story of V, essentially be(come) V. In the end, it is a RPG. All the more when they have advertised it as such already in 2018. However that may be, I'd like to have more opportunities to see my character, e.g. more cutscenes where I can actually see V, a mirror that displays more than my face in a partly blurry and paler version than it should be, walk-in wardrobes, clothing previews, Idk a hologram of some sorts, etc. If you look at the world of CP77, the current clothing, customization & modification options are a joke that is not even funny - if any kind of post-character creation options gets implemented I want to see them.
Why can't we have it both ways? GTA / RDR2 also worked fine with having first and third person options.

Let's start by saying I don't play FP i don't care for them at all. Because it is CD project i decided to give it a shot. All that immersive as possible crap reason why they took everything that is good about third person out including cutscenes. Irrelevant to have character customization in FP games. But I still decided to give cyberpunk a shot.
Lets go back to the immersive as possible crap and this brings us to this!!!!! So where is my head!!! i got no head!!!!
funny.png

What you really look like, This is what npc's see when they look at you. Just a headless character running and gunning. And how long did some of you spend in that character customization? ''We what cyberpunk to be immersive as possible'' hmmmm ok.
So I was done after this just done I uninstalled shut my pc off and started watching That 70's show lol.

To be CRYSTAL CLEAR I still love CD project red! they will always be the guys that brought Andrzej Sapkowski novels alive in the best game story of all time. Oh and not that Netflix Wither tv show that crap is garbage. Netflix should never been allowed to do that. but that is neither here or there. And after witcher 3 when there where rumor's of cd project being bought out. I don't know how many emails I sent telling them not to. But anyway i just don't agree with the approach to cyberpunk. I might end up coming back in the near future depends on what CD end up doing. Anyway i am just one person what i think doesn't not really matter.

In the end, it is a RPG. All the more when they have advertised it as such already in 2018.
I always find this argument ironic considering that the farther along production of this game went the more it became clear it was going to be a first-person shooter with mild to minimal RPG elements sprinkled in. To review, the following things were dangled in front of us to make the game as much of an RPG as possible:
- Being able to play the main Roles from the tabletop (including Netrunner and Rockerboy) and to be able to play the game according to those roles to handle different situations in a variety of ways (such as being able to dive as a Netrunner and engage in cyberspace proactively rather than shoot your way through a situation).
=This got tossed out pretty much right after third-person went out the window too.

-Being able to do a "clean" run, i.e. not getting any cyberware and remaining purely human.
=That went out the window too. The game is actually pretty linear compared to past CDPR games, as well as compared to most other RPGs.

-Social status. Such as being able to climb through society and establish yourself, develop a positive reputation or be able to interact with different classes of society.
=Nope. Not there either.

Basically the ONLY thing that "immerses" you into being V is the first-person. And frankly, that's just not enough. Because "immersion" isn't about whether you are a floating camera or not. "Seeing the world through the eyes of the character" doesn't translate to being immersed. I've read books, played tabletop games and played isometric RPGs that have made me far more immersed than any first-person game ever has. It's about atmosphere and drawing the player into that world. And considering they absolutely nailed it with The Witcher 3, anything else is merely an excuse as far as I'm concerned.

Especially when none of the rationale they provided is even in the game either. What was one of the things they boasted about having? Wholly interactive NPCs who responded to WHERE you were looking during a cutscene, or if you were looking at a specific part of their body for too long? Apparently THAT was one of the core functions that made first-person an absolute necessity. What happened to that then? Out the window too. So you don't need first-person for that anymore.. How bout the UI/HUD effect that you get saddled with no matter what because it isn't an option because they took away the "clean run" option? Been done before with the Arkham series and Watch Dogs. Clearly not a dire necessity either that makes first-person absolutely integral.

That leaves.. what? Cover? If that's all I'd say it's a markedly acceptable trade-off. One that even other first-person cyberpunk shooters with RPG elements in them have done already anyway. Let's face it, there is absolutely nothing about the first-person mode that is indespensible and irreplaceable. In the end it comes down to preference and the same song and dance seems to happen at every turn: Those in favour of third-person can provide a laundry list of reasons why it would be preferable. And those in favour of first-person can provide..
This game doesnt really need 3rd person view
..this. It's always only this. There is never any deeper rationale. "It's just better this way. It will suck if it's third-person. There is no need for third-person, only the perspective I want."

Except that you can ride a motorcycle in 3rd person. Why would the engine draw assets that aren't supposed to be visible?

If you drive in third person and have the camera facing the driver's side door when you exit the car your character is there fully rendered in your equipped clothes. So not sure where you are going with this other than to add pointless fuel to fire.

Perhaps you have a invisible helmet equipped? 2077!
Joke aside, but somehow my character has a head-shadow. My V just goes bald when looking into a mirror.

2 years...

I love Witcher books. Was hyped as hell when first game was released even despite the fact it was TPP, which I absolutely hate. Played all 3 games. I enjoyed the games for what they were and never complained about lack of FPP.

Here we have diferent game, with different setting. [...]

Top Bottom