Save files are corrupted

+
Had to put in a support ticket too, I could go back a bit to a usable save but all of them will hit the 8MB limit soon enough too. While there are other bugs that need to be solved this should really be a priority fix from CDPR. Not being able to play the game after so many hours is a huge kick in the gut.

Crafting just brakes the save file for some reason. I got my crafting to level 18. crafted 10000 maxdoc v1 and then disassembled them. went out to check my file size, it went up about 3MB and I am sure if I kept doing it I could corrupt my file and the funny thing is even if you get rid of those items you crafted it just stays the same, file size doesn't change. Also I have seen someone with 80hr+ game play time on one save had the same issue. If this thing not get fixed sooner or later more players will run into the same issue. We need more people to be aware of an issue like this, some people barely manual saves their game. Anyways it's not just a crafting issue but yeah if you are crafting you can run into this problem sooner.

Just received this back from a support ticket.

Genoan
(GOG.com)
Dec 18, 2020, 15:50 GMT+1
Hello

Unfortunately the save is damaged and can't be recovered.
Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials.
If you have used the item duplication glitch, please use a save file not affected by it.
The safe file limit might be increased in one of the future patches, but the corrupted files will remain that way.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards
Genoan
GOG Customer Support

I received an unbelievable answer from the support:

Hello

Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials.
If you have used the item duplication glitch, please use a save file not affected by it.
The safe file limit might be increased in one of the future patches, but the corrupted files will remain that way.
Regards
Genoan
GOG Customer Support

This is very bad communication and a sad approach to the problem

I've got this problem too. I have not done any duping or anything other than using the crafting system as intended. Frankly my inventory isn't even that full, after running into this problem and reading this thread I cleaned out my inventory as much as I could. I don't see why crafting should make the save files balloon faster. There are 8 crafting material types for normal things and 4 for quickhack crafting. Why should it matter if you have 100 or 10000 of any of them?

I'm level 50, done almost all of the side missions I can see on the map except for maybe 2, was just starting to return to the main story missions. My playtime is about 90 hours. This needs to be fixed as I can't progress since I've already cleaned out my inventory and practically stopped picking up items but if I play for an hour or two the problem will still show up.

I will submit a support ticket and hope that this thread keeps getting bumped and noticed.

It's difficult to pin down what it exactly is, but it feels like the game is saving a history of each one of your crafts in your save file which might explain why even when you get rid of the crafted items the size doesn't seem to decrease by much. It doesn't make sense why it would do that and not just save your world state, but I can't think of anything else that would bloat the save file so irreversibly.

It's difficult to pin down what it exactly is, but it feels like the game is saving a history of each one of your crafts in your save file which might explain why even when you get rid of the crafted items the size doesn't seem to decrease by much. It doesn't make sense why it would do that and not just save your world state, but I can't think of anything else that would bloat the save file so irreversibly.

It does not make sense to cap the safe game size on the pc to 8MB in the first place. This is 2020 and a Triple AAA title...

I also assume that more or less every action is somehow safed in the file. Fast travel, time skip, crafting etc.

It does not make sense to cap the safe game size on the pc to 8MB in the first place. This is 2020 and a Triple AAA title...

I also assume that more or less every action is somehow safed in the file. Fast travel, time skip, crafting etc.
True, there really should not be a cap or at least not one so small in the first place, and while in the short term they should just increase or remove the cap, they should also figure out what is causing the save file to grow so much since it also makes the game hang and stutter whenever you quick or auto save and takes forever to load with that black screen once your file gets bigger than about 5.5MB. The game felt really smooth at the start when I was quick saving or loading but by the time I was starting to reach the cap it felt terrible to save or load.

They implemented this standard answer on the homepage now:

Please downvote it, cause it does not help an all.
At least they are aware of the problem...

Last edited:
I've got this problem too. I have not done any duping or anything other than using the crafting system as intended. Frankly my inventory isn't even that full, after running into this problem and reading this thread I cleaned out my inventory as much as I could. I don't see why crafting should make the save files balloon faster. There are 8 crafting material types for normal things and 4 for quickhack crafting. Why should it matter if you have 100 or 10000 of any of them?

I'm level 50, done almost all of the side missions I can see on the map except for maybe 2, was just starting to return to the main story missions. My playtime is about 90 hours. This needs to be fixed as I can't progress since I've already cleaned out my inventory and practically stopped picking up items but if I play for an hour or two the problem will still show up.

I will submit a support ticket and hope that this thread keeps getting bumped and noticed.
Cleaning your inventory won't help. This is probably caused by game tracking your stats just make sure you have a returnable manual save we can't do anything until they fix this thing

I found that getting rid of crafting materials and items dropped my save file size down from 8180 to 7600. I also feel like waiting 24hrs+ and resting helps. After a day of playing my file size is back up to 8050kb so not sure game will be playable even with inventory management.

I'm sorry but this is poor advise from the moderator and solves nothing. This is a game breaking bug that anyone who plays more than 80 hours will encounter (even sooner if the user is crafting a lot). The game save files become unusable after reaching 8MB file size and there is no way for the user to fix it. This requires an URGENT bug fix because every day more players are running into this issue. Eventually every single player who loves this game (like I do) will get to an 8MB save file. I recommend that CDPR pays URGENT attention to this issue. Many more players will be demanding refunds because the game becomes unplayable and CDPR doesn't need more bad publicity at the moment. If I was a shareholder in CDPR I would be concerned about a game having been released that wasn't ready to be released. Poor management decision. I'm sure the developers of this great game would agree.

Then, there's no need for you to follow it. Go ahead, and keep on loading saved games as you will. If the bug is occurring during the loading process, as opposed to the saving process, then you'll eventually corrupt all of your saved games and have absolutely no backups to return to, ensuring all of your progress is lost. That is entirely your choice.

Secondly, this is not official CDPR Tech Support. This is a community board where players can come to check on known issues or try to troubleshoot problems on their own. If that's not working out, then let me repeat, yet again:

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

Just received this back from a support ticket.

Genoan
(GOG.com)
Dec 18, 2020, 15:50 GMT+1
Hello

Regards
Genoan
GOG Customer Support
Crafting just brakes the save file for some reason. I got my crafting to level 18. crafted 10000 maxdoc v1 and then disassembled them. went out to check my file size, it went up about 3MB and I am sure if I kept doing it I could corrupt my file and the funny thing is even if you get rid of those items you crafted it just stays the same, file size doesn't change. Also I have seen someone with 80hr+ game play time on one save had the same issue. If this thing not get fixed sooner or later more players will run into the same issue. We need more people to be aware of an issue like this, some people barely manual saves their game. Anyways it's not just a crafting issue but yeah if you are crafting you can run into this problem sooner.

Right -- now here's a reality of the way that inventory systems work sometimes. (TW3 has a similar sort of limitation.) Whenever you create an item in the inventory, it creates an ItemID. For every new instance of that item (like if the number of that item changes...or I pick up two of the same type of gun) the game will need to assign a unique ItemID for it in order for the program to be able to tell the two different items apart or record the change to the stack, and that number, for each successive instance, will obviously get bigger.

So, if I am rapidly adding / removing items from my inventory, I may inadvertently increase that ID number to something that the engine no longer recognizes. Or a number that conflicts with some other function of the inventory. Or save system. Or loading system. Whatever. Something doesn't like it. That's where the bug must live.

BUT -- considering that CP2077 probably works similarly to TW3, Bethesda games, Bioware titles, etc. -- this also happens to your inventory whenever you save --> reload a game. First, the game reads your save file. It loads an "active" version of your inventory into RAM, and assigns new ItemIDs to every single piece of your inventory from top to bottom. It re-saves those larger numbers for every new save / quicksave, and they become the new default. This is how a program can correctly load older savegames. It compares the newer numbers with the older ones, and chooses the older, smaller number instead. (Computers can't "think", and items in your inventory are not "guns" and "medkits" to the computer. They're collections of data that it needs to be able to tell apart from one another using a numerical expression.)

Not all games are designed for unlimited, endless play. Not all games are designed for NG++++ etc. CP2077, as of now, seems to have been designed with upper limits in place (likely to avoid issues elsewhere in the engine, just like TW3).

The workaround for now?

Don't do it. Play the game until the end, then start a new game. Don't continue saving and reloading the same character for too long. Don't craft thousands of items at once.

Is that ideal? No. And hopefully it can be worked out in the future. Although...maybe not. No game that CDPR has ever created has ever been designed for ongoing, unlimited play. (NG+ was added into TW3 after its release; it was never intended. It was extremely difficult to get working without major issues, is capped at level 100, still gets wildly weird at higher levels, and there is no NG++. It can only be done once per playthrough.) CDPR designs their games with a finite structure: with a beginning, a middle, and an end. They are not meant to be played on and on like Dark Souls, GTA, or an MMO. They're meant to be restarted from the beginning with a new character and played differently. Love it or loathe it, that's the design.

So, for right now, the best step is not to put the game in this sort of situation. It's the nature of the machine. Or, more classically:

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! It really hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Then, don't do that."

Now, the treatment can begin.

Then, there's no need for you to follow it. Go ahead, and keep on loading saved games as you will. If the bug is occurring during the loading process, as opposed to the saving process, then you'll eventually corrupt all of your saved games and have absolutely no backups to return to, ensuring all of your progress is lost. That is entirely your choice.

Secondly, this is not official CDPR Tech Support. This is a community board where players can come to check on known issues or try to troubleshoot problems on their own. If that's not working out, then let me repeat, yet again:

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

Right -- now here's a reality of the way that inventory systems work sometimes. (TW3 has a similar sort of limitation.) Whenever you create an item in the inventory, it creates an ItemID. For every new instance of that item (like if the number of that item changes...or I pick up two of the same type of gun) the game will need to assign a unique ItemID for it in order for the program to be able to tell the two different items apart or record the change to the stack, and that number, for each successive instance, will obviously get bigger.

So, if I am rapidly adding / removing items from my inventory, I may inadvertently increase that ID number to something that the engine no longer recognizes. Or a number that conflicts with some other function of the inventory. Or save system. Or loading system. Whatever. Something doesn't like it. That's where the bug must live.

BUT -- considering that CP2077 probably works similarly to TW3, Bethesda games, Bioware titles, etc. -- this also happens to your inventory whenever you save --> reload a game. First, the game reads your save file. It loads an "active" version of your inventory into RAM, and assigns new ItemIDs to every single piece of your inventory from top to bottom. It re-saves those larger numbers for every new save / quicksave, and they become the new default. This is how a program can correctly load older savegames. It compares the newer numbers with the older ones, and chooses the older, smaller number instead. (Computers can't "think", and items in your inventory are not "guns" and "medkits" to the computer. They're collections of data that it needs to be able to tell apart from one another using a numerical expression.)

Not all games are designed for unlimited, endless play. Not all games are designed for NG++++ etc. CP2077, as of now, seems to have been designed with upper limits in place (likely to avoid issues elsewhere in the engine, just like TW3).

The workaround for now?

Don't do it. Play the game until the end, then start a new game. Don't continue saving and reloading the same character for too long. Don't craft thousands of items at once.

Is that ideal? No. And hopefully it can be worked out in the future. Although...maybe not. No game that CDPR has ever created has ever been designed for ongoing, unlimited play. (NG+ was added into TW3 after its release; it was never intended. It was extremely difficult to get working without major issues, is capped at level 100, still gets wildly weird at higher levels, and there is no NG++. It can only be done once per playthrough.) CDPR designs their games with a finite structure: with a beginning, a middle, and an end. They are not meant to be played on and on like Dark Souls, GTA, or an MMO. They're meant to be restarted from the beginning with a new character and played differently. Love it or loathe it, that's the design.

So, for right now, the best step is not to put the game in this sort of situation. It's the nature of the machine. Or, more classically:

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! It really hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Then, don't do that."

Now, the treatment can begin.

I never had any problems with the Witcher 3 even when playing deep into NG+. They have a crafting skill tree in this game, it seems like passing the blame onto players in disingenuous. How many items should one be able to craft? How many times should one be able to save? How many hours is acceptable to clock for a single playthrough? I get that this game has a laundry list of bugs and a ton of fires to put out, but this one simply needs to be added to that list and not hand waved away.

This is very bad communication and a sad approach to the problem
Its not like they can just snap their fingers and uncorrupt your saves, nor can they rush out a patch based on a few hunches. The important thing is that they're aware of the problem, something as big as this will be on their top priority list in no time.

56 hours of gameplay was almost finished with the side quest. also was working on leveling up the crafting tree. seems like lots of side quest plus crafting is what a lot of us have in common. save file is over 8MB gonna have to go back 10 hours in gameplay to a save before I started leveling crafting.

1st turn off cloud save on whatever platform you might be playing, I've learned to never ever trust cloud saving, it always end up corrupted somehow eventually, I did my own cloud saving solution to avoid theses problems, take the program gamesave manager, you can then move the save folders virtually (the game think they are at the right place and will work nicely) to a cloud drive of your choice, I'm trusting dropbox since 2012 for that and never had a single problem.

Cap or no cap on the save file, crafting as a skill should never have been implemented if the game couldn't handle it.

By coding the save they should have known from the onset how the save file would bloat.

But their response that "The safe file limit might be increased in one of the future patches, but the corrupted files will remain that way" is lame. Just kill off the crafting if you can't make it work correctly without breaking your entire game.

Originally sent this into the GoG support and was told they dont' have direct contact with the devs and to post here instead so here we are.

Basically I discovered that with perks, you can craft items like the bounce back, then disassemble it for more materials than it cost to craft it. I'm using this to get lots of materials to then upgrade my equipment to the max and also get crafting to level 20. After further review of the save game files, I found there's a max limit of 8MB on save game files because the save files would stop increasing in size once they hit that limit.

Crafting seems to cause the save file to increase in size fairly quickly, even if you use up the components or sell them to a vendor, the save file does not decrease in size.

I've already loaded a previous save to continue playing. I would consider the save file max size and/or crafting causing the save file to grow in size counts as a bug, but not sure which is the easier problem to fix.

I wanted to report on this so that you would be aware as I've seen this same method published online (here's a youtube video on it that was just published yesterday and already has over 300,000 views).

I'm sure others will run into this issue pretty soon as well and figured if I could give a heads up that this happens it might help you fix it sooner and prevent further outcry over bugs. As someone that works in tech, I'm simply interested in the reason why this occurred and figured I'd pass along my findings in case it helps. I know when I receive bug reports, a detailed replication step and root cause help a ton in actually getting it fixed.

Overall I am enjoying the game quite a lot, despite the many bugs that I know you're all working on. I hope you all have a happy holiday season and get to enjoy some time off as well! Much as I'd like to have a bug free game, I'd rather you all get to de-stress and enjoy yourselves more, the bugs can wait :)

I wanted to report on this so that you would be aware as I've seen this same method published online (here's a youtube video on it that was just published yesterday and already has over 300,000 views).

Can you link the youtube video?
Thank you in advance

This scares me, I'm 60 hours in an at the rate I am going I have another 60+ hours left of the game but I'm already at a 4KB save file. I am trying to do everything the game has to offer, all side missions, quests, events, picking up every item and yes; crafting. While I have not done some of the exploits like crafting items which break down into more components than it took to create them, I have still built up a collection of basic crafting materials well over 15,000.

Should I just stop playing until a fix is found for this? I'm worried that if I continue playing the way I am I will corrupt my save file as I'm already half way there and not even 30% complete with the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom