[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Not happening, no one is creating biochip for V. You need said person to die for chip to activate thats a gambling on itself.
Could use same biochip :shrug: . Then shoot Johnny inthe face, V in biochip overtakes Johnny. Because in Nomad ending, chip never gets removed if I'm not wrong. Just V concioussnes gets put in Mikoshi for a moment to restart the brain and delete Johnny from there. Ah wait, kinda screwed myself over with this. Nvm.

One thing still bothers me with nomad ending. Alt says dna is only acceptign Johnny now. So put Johnny in body, put V in biochip and process reverts, wouldn't it?

Then Johnny gets to do some things before fading away for V. Johnny gets redemption arc as sacrificing for V.

Don't you dare bring logic into this conversation.

My guess though, if I had to come up with some reason to counter logic, is that Alt's soulkiller program is an earlier gen soulkiller program that could steal and copy engrams, but was supposed to go into a blank slate clone. Johnny's soulkiller was a gen 2 which was designed to overwrite a mind, when something went wrong with the blank slate cloning.

So my guess here is that Johnny's soulkiller is just more advanced than Alt's.

Now it's possible that with Alt absorbing Johnny she'd learn the technique, but that would mean she'd need to have a back up copy of V somewhere.

It's also simply possibly that a flesh and blood body just can't handle the stress of multiple overwrites. Johnny almost killed V and weakened that body pretty badly. Doing it again would probably just speed up the killing process.

Dunno, don't rly care much about romances for some reason, sometimes you can't have it all. I will enjoy even the smallest achievement that I can get.
Most people do tho. The reason why the nomad ending is the most popular and people are fine with it because it involves the two most popular love interests in it.

The nomad ending would have been the only good ended if they did not try to be " dark and dramatic" and say everything you did was for nothing your still going to die . Really that whole part just kills any goods feelings you had for the game ending. Games need to realize screw the "tropes" who cares if you put in a trope. When i fishing a game I don't care how "dark " the setting in I still want my " Happily Ever After" . in my mind Killing of the "hero" main character loved ones etc just should not be done

Also why didn't I get to kiss JUDY at the end . Why only hugs ??? after everything V went though she doesn't even get a kiss??

I think alot more effort should have been put into the romances . A lot side quest dates, more conversations,. repeatable cutscene and that "phone call in the credits that would have been a great last scene there should have been a part where they wakeup wherever they were in that phone call like in the path to glory ( really bad ending ) and been able to walk around talk like you did in that only happier.

Really disappointed . I believe the romances are part of the foundation of the game . That is done poorly and breaks completely bring down the rest of the game

Last edited:
The ending to NWN2 was continued in the expansion Mask of The Betrayer and it was an amazing expansion with satisfying endings and choices that mattered.

We can only hope the same will happen here.

NWN2 had one ending, and any variables were pretty much ignored in mask of the betrayer. MotB was almost a stand alone game with the same protagonist.

The differences here are just different enough that you couldn't do that. I mean if I chose Arasaka even though it's still a 6 month death sentance V is practically a vegetable, where if you chose the Nomad ending, you're just a copy of V and not even in NC.

No. It is intentionally ambiguous as it is in most sci-fi subject matter. No one can prove the Ship of Theseus because it's a philosophical paradox.

Unless you can prove that Picard isn't Picard every time he deconstructs and reconstructs elsewhere through the use of a teleporter. Or the stacks in Altered Carbon are in fact consciously not the same person after the transport to a new sleeve.

The assumption in all sci-fi is that by some magical means the human conscious is not only maintained but restored perfectly on the other side of any given transfer. It's like the Star Trek: TNG episode where the audience sees a teleporter process through the eyes of Barclay.

Star Trek is about magic, not about realism at all. That's why they can "transfer" things.
There is a reason why C2077 doesn't have plasma and laser guns.

Does it even matter? As soon as you jack into Mikoshi Alt hits you with Soulkiller. Bang, The End. The original V is now dead.

Then she uploads a copy back into the wiped brain of V, like copying files on a freshly formatted hard drive.

This will probably end up cannon,
Arasaka would make immortality come true.
OR you could find a cure and erase Mikoshi + destroy Arasaka
These seem to be the only logical ways to progress the story after this.

I hope one of the DLC's let us progress further than the last mission

Star Trek is about magic, not about realism at all. That's why they can "transfer" things.

But if should. Laser guns were in CP2020, but the Collapse kind of screwed them all up. It's just that they're horribly expensive to use and build.

A "good" ending can only happen if there is an option to not get hit with Soulkiller once you jack into Mikoshi. And the only option not to do that, is to either commit suicide, or to let Arasaka mess you up, with a crummy chip in your head and 6 months to live as a disabled person (or to get hit with Soulkiller).

The original V dies, in every other ending. And in some endings V's copy either goes to cyberspace, to be gobbled up by Alt, or goes back to their body, to die in 6 months.

The V that we start the game as, has no chance at survival. And that's lazy and bad writing and not worthy of an RPG that promised meaningful "choices".

Last edited:
A "good" ending can only happen if there is an option to not get hit with Soulkiller once you jack into Mikoshi. And the only option not to do that, is to commit suicide.

The original V dies, in every ending. And in some endings V's copy either goes to cyberspace, to be gobbled up by Alt, or goes back to their body, to die in 6 months.

The V that we start the game as, has no chance at survival. And that's lazy and bad writing and not worthy of an RPG that promised meaningful "choices".
Well Arasaka station, it's original V that comes back just to die in 6 months or be consumed by Mikoshi.

Go read reception.
Metacritic reviews, YouTube reviews, reddit comments.
:shrug:

So what is the "soul" that Soulkiller destroys? Why is being hit by Soulkiller portrayed as a compromise?

I don't think it's ambiguous, for the record. At the very end there are dialogue choices where Alt straight up refers to you as a copy.

Buddhist religion (symbolically dominant throughout the game) doesn't believe in the concept of the soul (Anatta). In fact, no one even knows what a soul actually is. It's such a nebulous concept that Soulkiller is just a name derived from Alt's own superstition that a soul is a physical, tangible entity.

Alt saying you're a copy can be both true and not true. V's consciousness is maintained in the transfer in the same way Picard's consciousness is maintained after teleportation. Picard is just as much a CTRL+X/CTRL+V entity.

So there is no ambiguity there. Once Soulkiller works on someone, the person dies and a copy is generated.

Yes. It's also assumed the consciousness is maintained in the transfer. Similar questions have been raised here. In theory the original version/of of the individual is 'killed' during the transfer. Barclay experiences a moment where his consciousness is paused during the transfer.

Excuse me? How is this any less magical than Netrunner's plugging their brains into a computer, Rogue AI's in cyberspace, and the data stream that Soulkiller uses to transfer the contents of a persons mind into aforementioned cyberspace? Science Fiction operates on a level of magic that is somewhat believable.

Leave the realism argument at the door when talking about the wacky stuff that happens in this universe (and all sci-fi in general).

A "good" ending can only happen if there is an option to not get hit with Soulkiller once you jack into Mikoshi. And the only option not to do that, is to commit suicide.

The original V dies, in every ending. And in some endings V's copy either goes to cyberspace, to be gobbled up by Alt, or goes back to their body, to die in 6 months.

In the Arasaka ending you skip the soulkiller, and he isn't a vegetable by the end of it as someone claimed it above.

they went public a long, long time ago, before TW2 even. if it has any bearings on what's happening now, it stems from underlining problems withing the studio itself (i.e. bad management believing they are holier than thou because they made a lot of money once before)

I feel like there is a chance that before Keanu Jhonny's role in the game was smaller, V was more in the center of the plot, and a player had more opportunities to affect it. but who knows.
Atleast one of the devs has said that Johnny's role was in fact smaller initially, but Keanu liked the character so much that he offered to do more dialogue, even going so far as supplying his own notes and ideas. So Johnny's role was expanded to the point that it's debatable who's actually the protagonist of the story.

Well Arasaka station, it's original V that comes back just to die in 6 months or be consumed by Mikoshi.

Right, I forgot that cause I had a flush of anger at the game. Arasaka was my first playthrough and I already ranted about that ending in my post a couple of pages back. Thanks for reminding me though, I corrected my post.

:shrug:
Dont take it out of context dude, we know why CP is getting shit on.

In the Arasaka ending you skip the soulkiller, and he isn't a vegetable by the end of it as someone claimed it above.
Yeah, at the start V is in bad shape, but is getting better just for them to come and say nope, you are dying. Forget there are nanites that can fix neurological brain diseases. Can even hear it on the news in game that Biotech invented them and they are succesful.

Top Bottom