[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Ok guys i made some side quests and now i agree, i was wrong soulkiller is coping you, not load, but i still think that V in finall is V like in game soma

True but I think that oversimplifies it. A soul can be a religious mystical interpretation but I think it can also be considered your consciousness. In this case the soul would be your brain, which even if transferred to data wouldn't be you but a reproduction of you.

As long as your brain remains alive you retain a consciousness, what is on it is another matter. To me that is a soul.
what exactly is it "to be conscious"? When u make up in the morning u become conscious and u remember memories and u have a certain personality, and things u do will be based on those things. If i copy all of those things, memories, personality, everything. And put it in a random body, then imo that "body" will behave and feel exactly as you.

Just need a response right now, that is all.
A response to what? If they already have DLC plans that would have tied these endings up (before this outrage) there is nothing to say but at best "wait and see". If they don't have any plans, or don't want to give anything at all away then at best, "we hear you". Might as well be a non answer.

I would also like to add that I found certain endings bittersweet yet optimistic. It's strongly implied there is hope to yet save V, but it's left open ended. And at least in certain ones they get to live their life with friends fighting to survive - something that gets at what it means to be human.

I'm hopeful we get to finish V's story in some form of DLC but it very well could be left open ended.

Eh, Witcher 3 conclusively ended but we still saw a post-game arc with returning characters. As far as we know the devs are aware players want to see returning characters in a continued story, and that the game will have the same if not more post-release content.

I bet one of the free-LC will be turning the mirrors into a sculpting tool where you can change V's apperance.
It would make more sense to have biosculpt clinics for that. According to the lore, biosculpting had already in the 2040's become cheap enough that almost anyone can afford it and advanced enough that any modifications are undetectable. Exotic mods are of course an exception, and they're also so expensive that they'd likely only be available in high-end clinics catering to the wealthy elite.

Yea i think if this stays the way it is ill just play to the save state and then make up my own ending. that way i can atleast be satisfied with my fantasy ending.

what exactly is it "to be conscious"? When u make up in the morning u become conscious and u remember memories and u have a certain personality, and things u do will be based on those things. If i copy all of those things, memories, personality, everything. And put it in a random body, then imo that "body" will behave and feel exactly as you.

I agree that it would in many ways, but it still wouldn't be "you" and you wouldn't experience it as you do yourself in my opinion. Be this a soul or a consciousness is a philosophical debate we could have until the end of time.

I agree that it would in many ways, but it still wouldn't be "you" and you wouldn't experience it as you do yourself in my opinion. Be this a soul or a consciousness is a philosophical debate we could have until the end of time.
And until the end of time is exactly what is happening in this thread. You can go back and find this exact same discussion happening right now since the start. At least some people are finally realizing it's copy V. :ROFLMAO:

A response to what? If they already have DLC plans that would have tied these endings up (before this outrage) there is nothing to say but at best "wait and see". If they don't have any plans, or don't want to give anything at all away then at best, "we hear you". Might as well be a non answer.
They have no concrete plans for that by now, according to an interview a couple of days ago. They start think about about that in the new year. Probably February or March we will hear from them about it

Yep. And I don't want to be railroaded into player's perceived best ending. Copy V sucks.
But it still the best ending, also like in the game soma we can see the same, when your brain is coping, you that lived before become a copy, also we played V all game from 1st place, and at the end too, i dont care V or copy, i seen by my eyes, by V eyes how it works. Its my vision
But still yes its coping, its stupid idea to add this, but we have., what we have

I would also like to add that I found certain endings bittersweet yet optimistic. It's strongly implied there is hope to yet save V, but it's left open ended. And at least in certain ones they get to live their life with friends fighting to survive - something that gets at what it means to be human.

I'm hopeful we get to finish V's story in some form of DLC but it very well could be left open ended.

Have they mentioned a planned trilogy for Cyberpunk in the same vein as Witcher 3 - besides the DLC? I'm wondering if there's any intention to continue their story wherever it goes (or just a new character entirely).

It would make more sense to have biosculpt clinics for that.

Yeah I can see that. I was just guessing they'd take the path of least resistance and just make you use the mirrors. They don't really do anything besides being their for emotes and screenshots. :/

I made so many beautifull scrins and no one was saved, whyyyyyyyyyu nooooo
Post automatically merged:

Ok, goos night, night city

They have no concrete plans for that by now, according to an interview a couple of days ago. They start think about about that in the new year. Probably February or March we will hear from them about it
Good, by then hopefully more and more players finish the game and see the awful endings by February. There is potential for DLC, already discussed that several times.

They shouldn't have even released on last gen in the first place. That is a big part of the problem with what we got. Sorry guys.

Good, by then hopefully more and more players finish the game and see the awful endings by February. There is potential for DLC, already discussed that several times.

They shouldn't have even released on last gen in the first place. That is a big part of the problem with what we got. Sorry guys.
I´m on last gen, but have had just a few crashes, game itself runs fine

I always felt that the player (you the person playing the game) was the soul of the character. You're the soul of your V, and I'm the soul of my V. So using that logic -- I can find a way to justify an engram or even teleportation conflict to genuinely carry over a soul. Because the soul is a meta-construct -- it's YOU the player. The same person who played V from the beginning is essentially the same player who plays V even in a new body. That's the soul. It's the player.

---

However, despite that logic working for me. It doesn't deny the fact that the ending is absolutely fucking garbage bullshit. And if we're to have multiple endings -- we should have multiple endings, and not just 6 different shades of "go fuck yourself."

I would have loved a Ghost in the Shell-esq ending where you're V's soul in a different body sitting at the bar drinking a drink named after yourself. The character looks at the glass and whispers to themselves "I always wanted a drink named after myself."

Nice, subtle, vague, but completely understood by the player-base.

The city could have considered you dead (or not, depending on if you reveal yourself in a new body). You can dick around in the character editor one more time and then free-play in the city doing quests and basically enjoying the game you paid real-life money for. Then they could just pile on DLC that's the new-body V being a merc or exploring the world or fighting new factions.

That's the kind of crazy story arch that could mesh well with a video game's interpretation of death. A meta-V could just march into a gang war and get killed just to jump into a new body and try again. One of the things I loved about the Bioshock series is that they try to handle player death in a lore-friendly fashion. Everytime you died in Bioshock 1 -- you came back at the vita chamber, because you have Ryan's DNA.

Everytime you died in Infinite, you jumped to another multiverse.

==================

Also, what's the bullshit about no-happy endings in a cyberpunk game? I thought the ultimate goal of cyberpunk was the human + AI merger bid for immortality? That happened in BOTH Ghost in the Shell and Deus Ex, and I'm sure it's happened elsewhere. For it to be such an iconic part of the genre and not happen in a game of which plot revolves entirely about surviving seems like the writers missed a golden opportunity.

Also harkening back to my original theory that the soul is actually the player -- merging with an AI changes the player's perspective of the character, so it also works on a meta concept. You're still a majority of yourself, you're just also aware of so much more.

God, I hate the current endings. This game sure knows how to insult its playerbase.

As I already said: if V number 1 has to die, then it won't offer them any solace that V number 2 takes over the freshly formatted brain.

The whole process is also nicely shown during the Blackwall scene and the cyberspace trip with the Voodoo Boys. When you first go into cyberspace with Brigitte it's a seamless process, no fade to black here. But when you go into cyberspace from Mikoshi the process is interrupted by a fade to black scene.

This shows us that a seamless transition is technically possible, the black screen is not cause of the game engine's limits but was chosen by the developers.

And I think that this clearly shows us the difference between just being jacked into cyberspace, while being connected to your living brain. And being turned into an engram that at this point only exists in Mikoshi.

The game's writers really did poorly at explaining this and as I already said before, it's the first scene with AI Alt where the game completely falls apart, cause a lot of us would probably never agree to allow Alt to use Soulkiller on our character and would have called her out for her bullshit and asked for a different plan.

Alt has everything to gain from absorbing the memories of all the engrams stored in Mikoshi, considering how many other characters during the story tried to use and manipulate us, it's just another brick in the wall. And unfortunately we are forced to go along this route and have no way out (except for suicide or a lobotomy by Arasaka).

Honestly, the endings quite ruined the game heavily for me. I try now just to do gigs and some side missions, fuq the main story, and every time Johnny appears I just roll my eyes and go like "ugh, can you just fuck off, was this really needed?".

I was expecting this to be the choice initially but after giving it some thought I believe it's actually up for philosophical debate.

In this case I don't believe V is actually "killed" by Soulkiller, but put in a dream-state while their brain is rewritten. If you assume their brain doesn't die during this process, you are either choosing if when V wakes up their brain believes that they are actually them or if Johnny's engram is programmed onto V's organic brain.

The way I see it even if you choose to "let Johnny take your body" it's still just V living their life THINKING they're Johnny, because the actual Johnny died long ago with the one in the game being an AI copy acting as he would based off a brain scan.

In this interpretation in the cyberspace scene after Alt "Soulkills" V you are actually not playing as their consciousness but as an AI construct acting as they would based off the brain scan. You choose what V's physical consciousness gets to believe they are.

Thus if you assume Alt is telling the truth and the brain scan is a complete reproduction of V, if it gets reinstalled into their brain the original V goes on to live the remainder of their life with their mind intact.
The heart of this matter is, beyond the philosophical debate, what actual difference - if any - does it make whether it is V or Copy V?

One the one hand, if I 'Soulkilled' you whilst you were asleep and then reprogrammed your engram into your brain, would you wake up 6 hours later and think "I'm not real"? If you had no prior knowledge, and the engram is a perfect digital 'blueprint' of your consciousness, what is there that could inform you your mind is not your own and just a copy?

On the other hand, the digital V is aware. V is fully informed by Alt what has happened and that Alt will reprogram the engram onto V's brain. V knows prior to jacking into Mikoshi that Alt's plan is to disentangle the V/Johnny consciousness and reinsert into V's body. V is unlikely to forget what occurred during their time in Mikoshi with Alt and Johnny (the same way Johnny can tell us what it is like there). But why does that matter to V? What actual implications will that have for V when he returns to his life? As it seemed acceptable for Saburo to be able to inhabit his son's body in the same way.

And a random 'what do ya think': V was shot and the resulting damage initiated the chip in attempting to repair it, thus locking us in with Johnny engram. What would happen If V's brain was to be damaged again in such a way and then the V construct reinserted via the chip? Would we have the same attempt to repair, locking in the V engram on the chip?

Top Bottom