Anybody else disappointed with netrunning/cyberspace/hacking?

+
Well, the general approach of "hacking" is good (considering that is not that the main core of the game but surely one of the most important), but actually I would suggest to add more quickhackings modules because, as far I have seen until now, they are very few.

Well, another good addition would be to "counter-attack" netrunners (maybe with a quick mini-game, to be defined)......ok, now I'm thinking to something like TRON light bikes as a minigame....sorry. :D

Thought it was weird that you couldn't fend off a hack.

Yes, in fact. Yesterday I was searching also in the key mappings, if there were something related to that, but...nope.

Your enemies can't so why would you?

Also this particular topic proves one thing to me. Forums are cancer. One of the things that supplemented my (apparently not working) stealth character were quickhacks. Ideas of adding hacking like in the games where hacking is the main part of it... No comment really.

Guest 4375874

Well, they were able to make hacking a boring minigame that you will get sick of playing after that thousandth time of doing it and turned the cool concept of cyberspace into a some weird puke filled acid trip that seems to have nothing to do with actual hacking and plays more like a bad dream sequence. I remember when a dev said cyberspace will be COOL. uh? Where is it? Also, you do not even get to be a netrunner or experience cyberspace outside of a couple of very brief sequences on the main missions. I feel they originally planned for you to netrunning in the early days based off some video of you seeing a netrunner rig that I assume was a rig for V to use, but like a lot of things it got scraped for a very generic hack mini game. Personally I think they need to scrape their version of cyberspace and just copy shadowrun cyberspace which is a mini tron like world where the character is like a wizard or summoner that uses programs like spells to get to nodes to hack. It would have been way more fun and interesting than what we had. Could have had quick hacks for what we have or deep hacks to get into more complex networks and gain more control/access/info. Cyberspace could have been a cool mini world where you could find random networks and data fortresses, but there are dangerous A.I.s, programs and other netrunners around you have to watch out for or make contact with.
umm....NO. That sounds like a bad megaman game. I swear rather than meaningful discussions the forums are now a swamp for ppl who think they know better than the actual experienced game developers.

Well, the general approach of "hacking" is good (considering that is not that the main core of the game but surely one of the most important), but actually I would suggest to add more quickhackings modules because, as far I have seen until now, they are very few.
Personally I VERY opposed to adding what are essentially QTE events to an RPG. Not all players have the reaction times of a fighter pilot.

I absolutely love Hacking/breach-protocol/Quick Hacks. Soo cool :)
Post automatically merged:

umm....NO. That sounds like a bad megaman game. I swear rather than meaningful discussions the forums are now a swamp for ppl who think they know better than the actual experienced game developers.

Ya, poorly yes.. -.-

Playing mini maths puzzles in 'Breach' is not my idea of fun. At this point I would've rather played Gwent with netrunner decks (with cards being 'programs' ... against an AI defender. (Quick Hacks are okay though).

That's the thing, though: They should and so should you!

Hacking defense/counter-hacking is very much a thing in pnp... well, atleast in theory, since the CP2020 netrunning rules are... borked? Then again, the whole "quickhacks" concept is more Ghost in the Shell then proper Cyberpunk anyways, since in CP you always needed physical access to a network, so you should have to "breach" to use quickhacks on anybody to begin with. The old iteration of running seen back in 2018 was much more like that... no magical remote use of anti-personnel programs on anything and anybody (regardless of them even having cyberware you could influence to begin with) without overcoming the network's defenses first. You either needed direct access to a port or to an enemy via (throwing) cable... not complaining, mind you, much can change in ~50 years, and I like the GitS's like "brain hacking"... would still be nice to have some form of counter hacking minigame to deal with enemy runners, though... complete with erecting/overcoming walls and mazes and stuff.

That beaing said: Proper, actual netrunning - as in, "moving" thru cyberspace - all of that, is not...

Last edited:
i think developers thought the early build for hacking was too slow and complicated for casual gamer so it got dumbed down, but its just my opinion.
Post automatically merged:

Playing mini maths puzzles in 'Breach' is not my idea of fun. At this point I would've rather played Gwent with netrunner decks (with cards being 'programs' ... against an AI defender. (Quick Hacks are okay though).

that would be fantastic some hacking should be battles vs another netrunner.

Personally I VERY opposed to adding what are essentially QTE events to an RPG. Not all players have the reaction times of a fighter pilot.

Well, I did not write anything about QTE events, but a quick minigame (not just pushing buttons with perfect timing). Then, they could (it is not mandatory) add something to include also this kind of mechanic, it's just a proposal. :)

Also this particular topic proves one thing to me. Forums are cancer. One of the things that supplemented my (apparently not working) stealth character were quickhacks. Ideas of adding hacking like in the games where hacking is the main part of it... No comment really.

Well, even here, it's just a proposal. In my opinion, a "cyber" game like this should be, in which the environment is also a technology environment, the hacking part should be improved. Obviously it does not need to make hacking "the main part of it". If we want a traditional stealth game, in which "stealth" means just "cover and hit with a silenced gun without being seen", well, this would be quite minimalistic for a game that should be "also" a cyber game, not only for clothing....

Finally, if CDPR will add more stuff on the "hacking" side (once all bugs/glitches and other priorities will be fixed) I think it would be nice, that's all.

Ah, and maybe, if they would create also a "toggle" mode in the Options for the hacking mode so they could let also people not wanting "the hacking part" of the game to shut down that part, it would be good also.

Last edited:
I definitely enjoy the hacking in the game, but I agree that it would make more sense if you had to breach the targets system first before being able to do ANY quickhacks. Some hacking minigame variation would also be very welcome.

Everything he did could have been done just using a command-line. :LOL:

I think it's safe to say, "hacking" is the least realistic part of cyberpunk fiction. Frankly, there is no reason to have "neural interfaces", much less ones that shock you or could hurt you in anyway, as those are only useful if the bottleneck is the man-machine interface - when in reality, the bottleneck is that piece of grey matter in our skulls.

Last edited:
Everything he did could have been done just using a command-line. :LOL:

I think it's safe to say, "hacking" is the least realistic part of cyberpunk fiction. Frankly, there is no reason to have "neural interfaces", much less ones that shock you or could hurt you in anyway, as those are only useful if the bottleneck is the man-machine interface - when in reality, the bottleneck is that piece of grey matter in our skulls.
Not the point... it's just cool. :D Also, many nice nods to Johnny Mnemonic in CP2077...

Last edited:
Yes and No.

On one hand, a specialized stealth netrunner is one of the strongest ways to play the game in terms of effectiveness against the AI rather than raw damage numbers. On the other hand, choices in quick hacking is limited, and using mostly nothing but overheat does indeed get old after awhile. Not to mention that currently the ram combat regen does not work, which severely gimps a netrunner character during a boss fight.

Guest 4406876

Cyberspace is not in the game.
It's just a scripted sequence to be watched.
Hacking is only as good as the game, it serves the purpose of turning a static enemy from 180° S to 045° E so you can sneak around. Or deal ranged damage. And turn off cameras but then you conveniently have terminals to turn off cameras in whole sections so...why is that skill even in there

Cyberspace is not in the game.
It's just a scripted sequence to be watched.
Hacking is only as good as the game, it serves the purpose of turning a static enemy from 180° S to 045° E so you can sneak around. Or deal ranged damage. And turn off cameras but then you conveniently have terminals to turn off cameras in whole sections so...why is that skill even in there
Gameplay options, I guess... and because it has to be in there, it's a cyberpunk game.

What get's me the most, aside what a cheap gimmick hacking basically is: To make full usage of this "magic" system, all you really need is money. Best deck, best quickhacks, you are golden... high intelligence? You only need that for a couple of speech checks and to access terminals. Hacking perks? Yea, most of them only give you minor bonuses, some of which you also can get from cyberware...

...compared to this, the tech stat and perks are almost mandatory to make effective use of the item upgrading and crafting systems. I call that: Poor game design.

Bottom line: Not only is V's story pretty linear, they are also basically class locked to being a Solo... they might be able to call themselves a "netrunner" in conversations, but they really aren't.

I too am not satisfied with the hacking in this game and there are a lot of great suggestions in this post.

But, how much of these changes are reasonable for a DLC?
Could we really see a DLC make such large changes to a core aspect of the game?

Are you actually mad that they couldn't make hacking (a Process which in the real world is the EPITOME of boring!!) exciting on your 1000th try? I assume you're using hyperbole and got bored sooner.
could it be that your expectations were unreasonably high?
It is my honest opinion that people are way out of touch with unreasonable expectations for some games, these days.

We were shown a world where you could stealth take someone down and physically jack into them. Where you could access networks that linked to multiple squads of opponents and infiltrate those networks.

Netrunning is described in the game as this intense virtual experience.

This idea of what separates cyberspace and meatspace and if cyberspace can be more real, then what is real is one of the profound questions of the genre.

In the end they had to have something more practical. Its just so dumbed down it seems suprising that they bothered to hype it at all.

We thought that this game was done a year ago, had been in intense development for 5 or 6 years and was getting another year of tight polishing.

We thought that because they told us that. They lied to everyone, their customers, their investors. So we imagined all of the things such a game would make possible, because we did not expect the deception.

It turns out that it was in development hell most of the time and had 1.5 years of crunch development. In that case yeah its impressive it has anything at all. Yeah you spend that kind of time on a game of that scope and what you get is a cookie cutter sudoku game for hacking.

It was poorly managed and its very disappointing. Make whatever comparisons with hacking you want, they fumbled it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom