Car speed

+
As an avid car lover, mechanic and speed juckie. I love everything that moves fast. Both in games and real life. So of course i needed to get the caliburn ingame. it tops out on about 211mph. But I didn't really feel that it was going fast. Not even a little. I took the liberty to measure the speed. Keep in mind that my measurement is hardly accurate. But i would say it is fairly close. I got on the highway and put up a waypoint I then drove 2.3 kilometers away from the waypoint the road was fairly flat and it was straight. When i hit the 1km remaining point i started the timer. I was then at top speed 211mph at least thats what the instrument in the car said. It took 23.32 seconds to drive 1km. thats 42.88 meters a second or 154.36kph/95.91mph. Now over to acceleration. Now established that the top speed of the car is 156.36kph. It took about 35 seconds to reach 156kph. Now lets take a Porsche 911 Turbo S(992). With its 641BHP and a waight of 1759kg. It has a top speed of 330kph it does 0-100 in 2.5 seconds and 0-200 in 8.4 lastly it does 0-300 in 26.6 seconds. So thats why the car feels very slow. I get that the map scale and the game would not allow for cars going 200mph. But 95mph for the fastest car is just to slow. Again my measurements is not 100% accurate. But we are still far of a really fast car. It would be really awesome if this could be adjusted to something that feels a little more real.

This is a common thing in games like this. I don't know why - maybe to make the world feel bigger?

GTAV also does it but they don't even give you a speedo! Watch dogs does it too but with the added annoyance that it "sounds" like the car is still accelerating when really it isn't - or not by as much as it sounds.

Pretty sure that the speed your traveling at is KPH and not MPH even though the speedometer says MPH. Other than that it could just be the scale of the world. The buildings and roads feels incredibly large compared to other games. Most games scale down buildings and roads and so going fast in a game feels a bit faster because the buildings and roads are smaller.

Your right, vehicles system suck in this game, or are just bad designed. As almost everything else...
How a Rayfield Caliburn, the fastest car in night city, powered with a 1600hp engine, only achieve 205km/h, and goes from 0-100 in about 7 seconds ?! This is supposed to be right?

Pre ordered from GoG, to give as much cash as possible to CDPR, because i love TW3 franshice, and the "quality" of the developers, but im more disappointed each day as i play this shit; bugs, performance, and not accurated game features...

I wish i could wait a few months , to start playing this crap.
Thinking in refund, CDPR.

This is a common thing in games like this. I don't know why - maybe to make the world feel bigger?

GTAV also does it but they don't even give you a speedo! Watch dogs does it too but with the added annoyance that it "sounds" like the car is still accelerating when really it isn't - or not by as much as it sounds.

Yeah I know. But in the cars in GTA does not feel this slow. I really get that 200mph cars would not work in this game. but the acceleration and top speed could be a little more. at least 200kph then not just 150 and 0-100 should maybe at least be 4 seconds at least for the caliburn and not 7.

Pretty sure that the speed your traveling at is KPH and not MPH even though the speedometer says MPH. Other than that it could just be the scale of the world. The buildings and roads feels incredibly large compared to other games. Most games scale down buildings and roads and so going fast in a game feels a bit faster because the buildings and roads are smaller.

maybe. it seems strange to have a 1600hp car with a top speed of 211 mph tho. My 500hp 2300kg car has a top speed of 270. But it is also strange that the distance is in km and the speedo is in mph

Your right, vehicles system suck in this game, or are just bad designed. As almost everything else...
How a Rayfield Caliburn, the fastest car in night city, powered with a 1600hp engine, only achieve 205km/h, and goes from 0-100 in about 7 seconds ?! This is supposed to be right?

Pre ordered from GoG, to give as much cash as possible to CDPR, because i love TW3 franshice, and the "quality" of the developers, but im more disappointed each day as i play this shit; bugs, performance, and not accurated game features...

I wish i could wait a few months , to start playing this crap.
Thinking in refund, CDPR.

I kind of agree with the vehicles system. Probably why i usualy run in this game. Also to get most out of the exploring to tho. But would be great to have better driving. And yes some of the bugs are anoying. like when you call a car and it crashes into everything and the car is missing all the bumpers and doors when it finaly arives. Or when it just flies 50 meters up in the sky. Or the fact that ally my iconic weapons from my stash is gone. I probalby wont refund it tho. But i hope they will sort things out. Kinda wish i started playing it after everything is fixed to even tho I still have mostly fun playing it

If the cars moved at realistic speeds, you would crash all the time. Have you ever driven even at like 200km/h? It's bonkers. I once tried on my brothers car on the highway and the people we were passing felt like oncoming traffic.

Yeah, this is something that felt really off to me, as well. The distance counter going down just didn't match my supposed velocity at all. Of course, they use tricks in games like these to create a more or less successful illusion of speed, but in this game it's too obvious. Here's a nice comparison from a GDC talk with and without the usual tricks, from 31:30 to 32:30 (or if you're interested in the reasons, I suggest watching the whole thing)

Definitely KPH since actually driving at 200MPH would have the background whizzing past you much faster. Here's a vid, timestamped to when a driver reached 200mph.

If the cars moved at realistic speeds, you would crash all the time. Have you ever driven even at like 200km/h? It's bonkers. I once tried on my brothers car on the highway and the people we were passing felt like oncoming traffic.

Well. Not that it matters to how I want to feel cars in game but yes. I've been at 300kph at nürburgring in a Porsche 911(996) GT2. 200kph in a Porsche 944 on Nürburgring and 220 in a Porsche 911sc convertible on Nürburgring. And From Köln to Puttgarten in germany about a 4-5 hours drive on Autobahn we had 240kph most of the way even pasing 290 in a Ruf Turbo r(993). Doesn't 200 on autobahn dosnt really feel that fast either when everyone else is driving the same speed. Also 220 in a porsch 944 on autobahn. 210 in a Porsche 924 on the highway. 200 on a Ducati st2 on the country road. 180 on a Ducati Monster on the country road. And about 200 in my Porsche Cayenne Turbo. So yes. I have even ever driven at like 200kph.

Over to the point of my post. A high end fastest car in a game topping out at 150kph and acceleration of 0-150 in 35 seconds does not feel right. Also a cars top speed does not mean you have to drive it at top speed. I also pointed out that it doesn't have to move in realistic speeds because its a game with scaled down world. But other games like gta, need for speed, the crew, grand turisimo, forza and more games has been able to make the cars feel fast even tho not all of those games have cars going the actual real life speed.

I agree with Jonki89.

Moreover, I bought a $138.000 arche bike just to realize that it had the exact same stats than Jackie's bike that we get for free. I was really disappointed.

Obviously I had saved before buying it so I could load my old save.

Overall, what I want is vehicles that you shouldn't be able to drive at top speed in the city without crashing. And when I go at full speed, I want to shit myself because Im going too fast.

Yes , sometimes i go more than 200km/h on highway, with a 180hp 1.9 engine, so why a 1600hp only reach 205?

As an avid car lover, mechanic and speed juckie. I love everything that moves fast. Both in games and real life. So of course i needed to get the caliburn ingame. it tops out on about 211mph. But I didn't really feel that it was going fast. Not even a little. I took the liberty to measure the speed. Keep in mind that my measurement is hardly accurate. But i would say it is fairly close. I got on the highway and put up a waypoint I then drove 2.3 kilometers away from the waypoint the road was fairly flat and it was straight. When i hit the 1km remaining point i started the timer. I was then at top speed 211mph at least thats what the instrument in the car said. It took 23.32 seconds to drive 1km. thats 42.88 meters a second or 154.36kph/95.91mph. Now over to acceleration. Now established that the top speed of the car is 156.36kph. It took about 35 seconds to reach 156kph. Now lets take a Porsche 911 Turbo S(992). With its 641BHP and a waight of 1759kg. It has a top speed of 330kph it does 0-100 in 2.5 seconds and 0-200 in 8.4 lastly it does 0-300 in 26.6 seconds. So thats why the car feels very slow. I get that the map scale and the game would not allow for cars going 200mph. But 95mph for the fastest car is just to slow. Again my measurements is not 100% accurate. But we are still far of a really fast car. It would be really awesome if this could be adjusted to something that feels a little more real.

100% agree! want more speed! feels so silly why just why !!!!?!?!
Post automatically merged:

hehe not the scaling... just sloppy and lazy research and development

I've also been wondering whether the speedometer is correct, or whether it actually shows MPH or KM/H.

I think it might be correct after watching some youtube videos. Its kinda weird. The speed doesn't FEEL that great.

Yes , sometimes i go more than 200km/h on highway, with a 180hp 1.9 engine, so why a 1600hp only reach 205?
Because its america so it should show miles per hour. 205 MPH = 328 KM/H

I've also been wondering whether the speedometer is correct, or whether it actually shows MPH or KM/H.

I think it might be correct after watching some youtube videos. Its kinda weird. The speed doesn't FEEL that great.

Because its america so it should show miles per hour. 205 MPH = 328 KM/H
Good point....im pretty sure that Rayfield Caliburn its inspired in Bugatti Chiron, a car that can reach 490+km/h or 304mph

I can't happen to notice that the faster you go, the more (graphical) glitches and issues arises, especially during rush hour. That aside...

Years ago they showed this police program on television about motorists speeding. The police car had a camera onboard, so the viewers could see the road and traffic as well. The police would go after speeding motorists reaching speeds of up to 200 km/h. Later at one of the programs the narrator said that he received a couple of remarks of viewers saying that his program was fake, that when he said that the police car was going 200 km/h, while on their screen it seemed like only 100 km/h.

At the time I fully agreed with the viewers. It really looked like the police car was going a lot slower than speculated by the narrator.

1 show later the narrator decided to show the viewers something. He asked the police to take 2 police cars, go up the highway, and drive behind each other with 200 km/h. The police car in front played the speeding motorist, the police car behind in pursuit with onboard the narrator and his cameras.

At 200 km/h, the narrator shot the police car in front as he normally would. He also showed the speedometer to confirm that they were indeed going 200 km/h. The narrator said: "this is what you normally see what is happening on screen."

Then he made a small adjustment. He zoomed out the camera. Then it hit. All of a sudden, it looked as if the police car was going at the speed of sound. Very fast. What was also noticeable, the 2 police cars were very far apart of each other. An estimated 200 - 300 metres. In earlier shots, they looked a lot closer.

The narrator then said: "This is the actual picture. This is what you do not see." He said: "With these speeds, we have to take into account the very long brake distance needed to bring the vehicles to a safe stop. But because you can't very well see the speeding cars, we zoom in, so you as a viewer can see the car."

TL;DR, Nothing but an optical elusion.

Top Bottom