Increasing Athleticism

+
Anyone have any tips for increasing the Athleticism skill? Most of my skills increase naturally as I use them, but Athleticism seems to lag behind. I've done the standard sprint / jump / shadow box thing to use up stamina. Shadow boxing has worked best for me so far. Am I missing some obvious things, or is it just a really slow skill to level?

I just literally sprinted around town to burn Stam. I didn't try shadowboxing, but I imagine that works just as well. I've not found any quick ways to level it up though, so I've a feeling your suspicion is correct. It's just going to take time to level up.

So is running and jumping supposed to help? Cause I run and jump everywhere, and my Athletics is only 3. I never see myself get any XP for it.

keep in mind you need to level Attribute Body too.
you cannot have level 5 attribute in body and have level 20 in skill progression, because it says MAX level along with your attributes.

But yeah running jumping and using dash (double tap left right) in combat increases athletics slowly

Just wait for a patch. 0 XP in 17 hours of game, this is a bug. And not only for athleticism, but a number of other skills too.

You could try the old trick from Morrowind. Make your character run against the wall over night. Or maybe that won't work because running (not sprinting) isn't consuming stamina and consuming stamina is the only thing that works? In such a case. Maybe increasing stamina regen and using consumables, as well as the skill that increase consumable duration - could someone get around this so one could off-set the stamina consumption of sprinting against a wall. Probably not possible but who knows.

The skill XP is very unbalanced. I think weapon skills get XP per attack. I gained assault XP with an smg far faster than the other weapon skills. So far, athletics and engineering level up the slowest.

The skill XP is very unbalanced. I think weapon skills get XP per attack. I gained assault XP with an smg far faster than the other weapon skills. So far, athletics and engineering level up the slowest.

My first character was a techie using tech weapons. I can confirm that something is definitely off with EXP gain. Because my engineering is only at 5 passive skill out of 18 attribute points, while my body and reflex weapons, weapons I rarely used - were all maxed out at 3skills/3Att (body), 5skills/5att (reflex). While I do use crafting a LOT, my crafting is at only 6/18. Though I could probably just craft weapons for the sake of selling to vendors to get this to 10 quiet easily with my ocean of materials. But yeah. The skill progression of tech skills is disproportionally slow compared to other skills.

Your guess at XP per attack is probably accurate.

I suddenly stopped getting xp from stealth, when hiding bodies. I got loads for the first few hours, then zero.

Guest 4402625

if you don't mind using glitches there is one for leveling athletics. You need to have Berserk cyberdeck. Activate berserk and then make an action that spend stamina like using catana. in the middle of the action just open inventory. Game thinks that you still use stamina and level up your athletics.

Yeah, leveling in general feels off. I feel like we should be leveling slower but skills should level faster. Body skills in general haven't leveled at all for me and i feel that just by swimming, running, dodging etc I should have at least leveled them in some way but they are all still on 1.

I suddenly stopped getting xp from stealth, when hiding bodies. I got loads for the first few hours, then zero.
Remember that you can level skills only up to the attribute level. If you have 3 attributes in cool, you can't level stealth over level 3. I didn't know that at first. Game lacks many explanations but luckily we have google.

Still, you can also have the same bug as me with engineering. It was leveling just fine (shooting with tech guns through walls) in act I but stopped somwhere in act II. Maybe other skills can bug the same...

Athletics have a broken leveling curve. Too little exp for too much sprinting. We have cars for gods' sake!
I think that intention of devs was to level athletics together with brawling. The same like pistols and engineering with tech-pistols (if not broken, you get exp for both skills). Just the ratio is wrong.

Last edited:
Nah the athletic system is garbage. I had my strength maxed to 20 very early in the game. I'm only athletic 5. And I've cleared 80% of the game. It's because they don't count every movement you make that go higher. Which is the problem. I'm not going to solely fight enemies all the times with fists, to raise that thing. Just to get the level 20 perk. Also, if you get the perk to disable stamina drain with running. That also messes with it.

Berserk Cyberdeck with Hero Landing helps a little in leveling Athletics, find some mobs, activate Berserk, double jump straight up(or from a high spot if it's near those mobs)so that Hero Landing activates, kill the mobs and see what you get; you can get anywhere from 80 points to i think i saw 670 or 970 once in my 271 hours of gameplay and that was on my male V char, different save.

Also keep in mind that the landing has to hit/damage at least one mob for the Landing to count and get the points, sometimes it'll glitch and drop just a few points in brawler and no athletics and sometimes it won't...... so yeah, it's broken.

Just to put it in perspective: my first char, male V had 18 Body; i played for 160-170 hours with that char; completely cleaned up the map of every event, Athletics lvl? 13......and i farmed the athletics as much as i could.

Top Bottom