Save files are corrupted

+
This is a PRIORITY ZERO bug! Everything should be dropped to focus on this. That response (from a mod not a dev?) is unacceptable. To discourage your playerbase not to play the game too much or to just start another game to keep it under 8mb is some mental gymnastics disrespectful crap Jesus.

Losing your progress after dozens of hours, not being able to do everything in the game, this is probably the worst kind of bug gaming can have. PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY AND FIX THIS ASAP! Not a half-ass fix either, I dont want to see old saves that wont work, it has to fix existing saves!

CDPR did the same in Witcher 3 - I had a corrputed save due to me picking up everything that wasn't nailed down. Every time I picked something (new) up it increased the ItemID +1. Eventually that ItemID rolled back to 0 (integer overflow) and started affecting the "base" game items which originally had the low ItemIDs like fists, legs, etc.

The problem was because, instead of reassigning old unused ItemIDs (from dropping, selling items, etc) it just took whatever was the maximum there and then +1'd that, forgetting about all the unused IDs. It was inevitable after playing the game so long. Eventually found a user on these forums who created something to edit this and reverted this issue by reassigning all those unused ItemIDs and bringing the max much lower.

I believe CDPR never fixed that, and my memories of it are exacerbated by this new issue of theirs. Since it appears crafting items in CP2077 will also increase the ItemID +1 then maybe this wraparound is the start of a train of issues towards the bloated file size too?

This is a PRIORITY ZERO bug! Everything should be dropped to focus on this. That response (from a mod not a dev?) is unacceptable. To discourage your playerbase not to play the game too much or to just start another game to keep it under 8mb is some mental gymnastics disrespectful crap Jesus.

Losing your progress after dozens of hours, not being able to do everything in the game, this is probably the worst kind of bug gaming can have. PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY AND FIX THIS ASAP! Not a half-ass fix either, I dont want to see old saves that wont work, it has to fix existing saves!
Refund while you still can. I am still waiting for response on my request from GOG, 6 days later..

I had no major issues with the game, performance was poor on an RTX 3080, bugs were everywhere. But I excused it all because none of it completely ruined the game.

This is a completely game ruining bug, the moderators here basically just say "Sorry stop being entitled! This game wasn't designed to let you actually use the crafting mechnic ;)".

This should 100% be the biggest priority right now

Whatever the case, be sure to send the issue into CDPR Support if you have it. A before / after save file would probably help, just to be sure they can try to recreate the issue.

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

Can you provide a link to actually file a ticket instead of one to just the landing page of the support site?

As far as I can tell a ticket for this issue cannot be filed. The page for this issue does not have a "Contact Us" link.

CDPR's support site is one of the worst I've ever used. Only a very few pages dedicated to specific issues even have a "Contact Us" link (and they aren't even the ones you would think they would be). The site does not appear to have a way to file a general support ticket.

In the saves sub-catagory the only page with a "Contact Us" link is I am unable to save the game page. Is this the link we should be using to file support tickets about this issue?

If you are going to tell us to file support tickets please provide a way of doing so.

So I did a little bit of testing

started off with a 2,312kb save

crafted 296 combat amplifiers and my save increased to 2,373kb

scrapped the 296 combat amplifiers and my save went down to 2,341kb

slept 5 times in a row, save stayed 2,341kb

went back to my original 2,312kb save and waited around for around the same time it took to craft the combat amplifiers as a bit of a control test and that save stayed 2,312kb.

I then went back to the original save and scrapped everything in my inventory that I could and my save went down to 2,284kb

These obviously aren't massive changes, but if you craft thousands of items then it's going to add up quickly. Personally I don't think scrapping contributes to the save bloat, just crafting.

The mods are just doing their jobs, they can't speak for the devs. All they can do is offer their best advice on how to slow down the problem but they don't know any more about this issue than we do. These people are playing the game too, they don't want their saves corrupted any more than you do.

This is a completely game ruining bug, the moderators here basically just say "Sorry stop being entitled! This game wasn't designed to let you actually use the crafting mechnic ;)".
No one said this.

Journal entry 2077.12.15T1906

After Vik brought me back to life and informed me that, although he didn’t know how much time I had left, he was sure that the biochip would kill me. My first thought was how to square it with him. How do you reciprocate a gift like his? Once I’d earned the eddies to repay him and buy a better deck from him (least I could do), I got to work trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life in NC.

In the days since, while upgrading my kit, I’ve wondered why in the fuck I left my chooms in the badlands and what in the hell I was thinking trying to steal from Arasaka. Instead of fame and fortune, my goals have become more modest, better suited to the short amount of time I have left and more meaningful.

I wanna get a preem deck and some choice hacks so I can help Judy and the Mox take Clouds from the Tyger Claws. If I can do that, I’ll die content.

Journal entry 2077.12.19T0113
Just got off the phone with Vik. He’s been doing some research and tells me that he now knows how and when the biochip will kill me. The chip is overwriting the data in my cyberware. When the process finishes, my save will be corrupted and the lights will go out. Total file capacity is 8192 kilobytes. 5000 have been replaced in the last 78 hours.

Better get to work.

To add to my previous post- I've crafted tons of ammos, run missions, pick up/disassembled stuff, etc normal gameplay, but not done any of the exploits w/ constructing/disassembling (I choose you 3rd party PC apps!). I did invest in all the crafting perks early on since purely from a min/max, the highest DPS gun I figured I could procure would be something I crafted with all the bonuses to crafting perks.

My manual saves (of which I still have record) have trended:

13 Dec 2020: 2.26 mb
15 Dec 2020: 4.06 mb
16 Dec 2020: 4.11 mb
18 Dec 2020: 4.58 to begin, 4.7 to finish

This bug really bums me out. I'm 65 hours in and I'm playing almost everyday. I'm fine with visual bugs since it doesn't bother me that much. And I'm really lucky about gameplay bugs since I didn't encounter some in PC that stop me from playing. But this bug made me stop playing today. I still have side gigs, side jobs, ncpd and the last quest to do but I'm just scared of doing anything anymore. I'm currently at 5.0mb starting today but when I did some jobs and gigs it's now at 5.2mb (I didn't do much crafting at my playthrough today but I made sure to just pick up an item and disassemble weapons since I need it for upgrading).

I'm really one of this game's biggest apologist since I really love the game and I enjoy it a lot but I dunno if I could continue if problems like these persist.

No one said this.

"E.g. if the game was designed to be completed in 30-50 hours, and players don't complete the game, same difference. They play for 80+ hours, and/or also use skills that were never designed for endless grinding 10,000 times -- you may trigger something the engine isn't ready for. "

Quote from a mod. Says grinding crafting is something the game wasn't made for. Except to level crafting you need to grind components, and then craft a lot of items. which is where the issue originates.

So yes, someone did say this.

In the saves sub-catagory the only page with a "Contact Us" link is I am unable to save the game page. Is this the link we should be using to file support tickets about this issue?

I used the "can't save my game" link and the contact us form from there. Whether the support workers actually have any clue as to what is going on or not I have no idea. Because I am certain that they don't have DEVs answering technical support emails.

Anyway, this was the response I got (I've only removed my contact info from the message):

REDSupport cyberpunk_pc <cyberpunk_pc@cdprojektred.com>
Fri, Dec 18, 5:22 PM (19 hours ago)
to me

Hello,

We are aware of the issue and looking into it. Thank you for your report.

I am afraid that we are unable to fix the save file. All I can advise is loading an older save that still works.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
Gouti
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 22:25, CD Projekt Red - Support <no_reply@support.cdprojektred.com> wrote:
Game: Cyberpunk 2077
Platform: PC
Category: TECHNICAL

Issue Title: I am unable to save the game

Select a platform: Steam
Version: 1.04
Email (beware typos!):
Short description of the issue:
Game is unable to load save files greater than 8mb. Game registers them as "damaged".

Crafting seems to create an issue in the inventory and save file size. When crafting items repeatedly and then selling those items, the file size bloats.
First, the load screens "hang" for lack of a better term on a black screen before proceeding with the actual game load. This "hang" lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes from what I've noticed depending on how large the game file is (how close to 8mb). As soon as the game file reaches 8 mb, it is no longer able to be loaded by the current game's limitations.

Items/inventory need to be handled differently, or the game save file limit needs to be increased or removed. Attached is one of my save files above 8mb.

Apparently, the technical support people know about the issue. Whether the developers know about it is inferred, but not specifically stated. Someone is looking into the issue, and hopefully, if enough people report it it will be addressed sooner rather than later.

I used the "can't save my game" link and the contact us form from there. Whether the support workers actually have any clue as to what is going on or not I have no idea. Because I am certain that they don't have DEVs answering technical support emails.

Anyway, this was the canned response I got (I've only removed my contact info from the message):

REDSupport cyberpunk_pc <cyberpunk_pc@cdprojektred.com>
Fri, Dec 18, 5:22 PM (19 hours ago)
to me

Hello,

We are aware of the issue and looking into it. Thank you for your report.

I am afraid that we are unable to fix the save file. All I can advise is loading an older save that still works.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
Gouti
On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 22:25, CD Projekt Red - Support <no_reply@support.cdprojektred.com> wrote:

Oh wow, you actually got a reply? I submitted a ticket for the virtual input bug more than a week ago and never heard a thing.

Yes.

The reply doesn't state who is looking into the issue (tech support or development), or when it will be addressed. Only that it is known and being looked into (by someone).

My only thought, at this point, is for anyone affected to send in support tickets. If enough people start officially sending tickets in, someone is bound to report it to someone who will get it fixed. Assuming the devs are not already working on the issue, as implied.

Did you spend too much time on crafting too? This really sucks. Leveling them is so hard without grinding for junk. I spent so much time on getting soda cans - disassembling to common/uncommon components - upgrading to higher tier components then realizing now that my build is on a timer sucks so bad.

Have the same issue, but it has nothing to do with this case:

All my save files are under 8 KB in size and all of them but one are unplayable. Just attaching all my saves here in case anyone finds solution.
My platform is PC, Steam. Cloud saves are enabled and interesting is that all my local saves are corrupted, but the single one, that is restored from Steam cloud, is the only one that is playable. Wondering if it can be some kind of sync issue between my local files and cloud.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk 2077.zip
    93.6 KB · Views: 94
90 hours in I think I've crafted around 50 to 60 items and I've disassembled hundreds.
time.PNG
SAVE.PNG

So I did a little bit of testing

started off with a 2,312kb save

crafted 296 combat amplifiers and my save increased to 2,373kb

scrapped the 296 combat amplifiers and my save went down to 2,341kb

slept 5 times in a row, save stayed 2,341kb

went back to my original 2,312kb save and waited around for around the same time it took to craft the combat amplifiers as a bit of a control test and that save stayed 2,312kb.

I then went back to the original save and scrapped everything in my inventory that I could and my save went down to 2,284kb

These obviously aren't massive changes, but if you craft thousands of items then it's going to add up quickly. Personally I don't think scrapping contributes to the save bloat, just crafting.
So im off the hook for the can scrapping?

Have the same issue, but it has nothing to do with this case:

All my save files are under 8 KB in size and all of them but one are unplayable. Just attaching all my saves here in case anyone finds solution.
My platform is PC, Steam. Cloud saves are enabled and interesting is that all my local saves are corrupted, but the single one, that is restored from Steam cloud, is the only one that is playable. Wondering if it can be some kind of sync issue between my local files and cloud.
All of your saves are around 4mb for me. I tried loading a few, but yeah, they all say they're corrupted.
Post automatically merged:

So im off the hook for the can scrapping?
I'm not sure how the game handles generating cans from the vending machines so I have no idea. It could potentially cause the same bloat as crafting since it's generating new items.

Last edited:
Top Bottom