Forced Sharpening in 1.04?

+
So 1.04 comes around and they decide to bump the sharpening in the whole image to "help" DLSS when it's working to mantain the level of detail, so people with DLSS on, gets a crispier image on 1.04 than on 1.03. This has terrible implications for the rest of us who can't/want use DLSS. We get the stupid sharpened image with worse textures and annoying borders everywhere.
Seems like it
Post automatically merged:

I don't even know if they will be able to revert this change when you have DLSS off...

Last edited:
Seems like it
Post automatically merged:

I don't even know if they will be able to revert this change when you have DLSS off...

I don't even know if they will be able want to revert this change when you have DLSS off...

And for the look of things right now it's not a priority 100% so... we'll have to wait or keep playing 1.03 which is sad as fuck considering this is a AAA and I at least will miss multiple updates.

If we see any change in 1.05 related to this, color me surprised

why someone would wanna see blurry! 1.04 image looks clear and better- otherwise it's like watching without spectacles
It's not. What they did was forced a sharpening tool. Because people where complaining that TAA was blurring the image. That's what it does. And people want an option to disable or change the AA option. I want FXAA. Because that doesn't blur game textures. But it seems game effects break when you turn off or fiddle with the AA option. So they disabled the AA option, that was found in the games code. Hence this stupid sharpening. Basically they pulled a crap DNR on a film. Than re-added fake grain. Instead of giving the original grain from the unprocessed film.

Hello again. This is not a hardware problem. 100% positive about that.

I have both versions installed. I have literally copied configs between them and the sharpen effect only appears on 1.04 as we know.

I saw this video about DLSS in its multiple presets and I think I've a very good idea of what happened here. If you have the time, watch the video, it's a really good explanation of how DLSS + TAA are working ingame.

What i think:

- As you will see in the video, DLSS side effect, due to the image scaling it does internally kind of soften the final image. It doesn't apply blur or anything like that. It's just a side effect cause it's rendering the image at lower resolution and upscaling it to a greater one. People using DLSS gets "blurrier" image, softened details and borders.

- In 1.03, the image was perfectly fine without DLSS as we have already proved many times. Textures were fine, no oversharpening or loss of detail. But as soon as you turned DLSS the image probably got a little blurrier. (I do not have a DLSS capable card so i cannot confim this 100% in 1.03. But watching the video and seeing the effect DLSS has on textures and detail I'm almost sure this is what happened)

- So 1.04 comes around and they decide to bump the sharpening in the whole image to "help" DLSS when it's working to mantain the level of detail, so people with DLSS on, gets a crispier image on 1.04 than on 1.03. This has terrible implications for the rest of us who can't/want use DLSS. We get the stupid sharpened image with worse textures and annoying borders everywhere.

1.03 DLSS OFF - Perfect image and texture quality. Not soft, not sharpened
1.03 DLSS ON - Blurry image. Loss of detail due to the scaling of DLSS

-- Change happens --

1.04 No DLSS - Sharpened image. Loss of detail due to oversharpening of fine details. No way to remove it.

1.04 DLSS - Kind of perfect image. And I say kind of, cause it's not a native image. It's a sharpened image, upscaled (at this point the excesive sharpeness gets toned down as side effect of DLSS) to make it look like the crispy image of 1.03 without DLSS

This is my theory. If anyone with a DLSS capable card and both versions of the game (1.03, 1.04) can prove it I think we'll know wtf is happening.

The video I was mentioning is this (long but worth it. You can skip the intro bashing Nvidia's practises...)

I think you're correct 99%

truth is it should be like RDR2, there are multiple AA options, and a sharpening amount option as well, this would help everybody... dunno why every game just doesn't do the same '-' ,even horizon zero dawn or death stranding is like this

I understand the insane situation about release and how hard it is for developers to keep up with the bugs and improvements to the game, but I just want acknowledgment of this problem and I want to be sure it will be fixed, don't really care when, because I'll play the game when it's in good shape anyway. :shrug:

Weird, when I look at regina here, and press N to enter the Photo-Mode. The sharpening effect seems to be gone for a split sec before it switches to the drone view by default. I will try to get a Screenshot for a direct comparision. First the default view:
1608399400987.png

1608399483027.png

Not the best time of day atm for the screenshot, but you already can see a difference.
Edit: After doing some more comparisions with the image you get in photo mode, it is clear the textures are much better. Not quite sure why though. Is there some kind of super sampling in photo mode? Or does the game have a hidden texture quality setting?

Last edited:
And maybe I'm crazy or too sleepy, but I think I feel more input lag while moving the camera (yes, even without VSync). But again, maybe I'm imagining things.

edit: Nah, it's the same as 1.04.

Last edited:
Waited over a week and it's still trashed. I wish I got the GOG version so I wouldn't have to deal with this. I wouldn't even be upset if someone, ANYONE, from CDPR came in here and told us they're aware of the problem. But nope, nothing. All the other horrible issues the game has never bothered me, but a patch that makes the game worse? w/e, I guess I'm stuck playing a low resolution version of a game that didn't used to look this bad.

sure, i was playing a moment ago, now it looks way better, even the mirror reflection is just set to medium but it looks so good oh god im a happy boi
1091500_20201217183755_1.png
1091500_20201219210552_1.png

Last edited:
Hello again. This is not a hardware problem. 100% positive about that.

I have both versions installed. I have literally copied configs between them and the sharpen effect only appears on 1.04 as we know.

I saw this video about DLSS in its multiple presets and I think I've a very good idea of what happened here. If you have the time, watch the video, it's a really good explanation of how DLSS + TAA are working ingame.

What i think:

- As you will see in the video, DLSS side effect, due to the image scaling it does internally kind of soften the final image. It doesn't apply blur or anything like that. It's just a side effect cause it's rendering the image at lower resolution and upscaling it to a greater one. People using DLSS gets "blurrier" image, softened details and borders.

- In 1.03, the image was perfectly fine without DLSS as we have already proved many times. Textures were fine, no oversharpening or loss of detail. But as soon as you turned DLSS the image probably got a little blurrier. (I do not have a DLSS capable card so i cannot confim this 100% in 1.03. But watching the video and seeing the effect DLSS has on textures and detail I'm almost sure this is what happened)

- So 1.04 comes around and they decide to bump the sharpening in the whole image to "help" DLSS when it's working to mantain the level of detail, so people with DLSS on, gets a crispier image on 1.04 than on 1.03. This has terrible implications for the rest of us who can't/want use DLSS. We get the stupid sharpened image with worse textures and annoying borders everywhere.

1.03 DLSS OFF - Perfect image and texture quality. Not soft, not sharpened
1.03 DLSS ON - Blurry image. Loss of detail due to the scaling of DLSS

-- Change happens --

1.04 No DLSS - Sharpened image. Loss of detail due to oversharpening of fine details. No way to remove it.

1.04 DLSS - Kind of perfect image. And I say kind of, cause it's not a native image. It's a sharpened image, upscaled (at this point the excesive sharpeness gets toned down as side effect of DLSS) to make it look like the crispy image of 1.03 without DLSS

This is my theory. If anyone with a DLSS capable card and both versions of the game (1.03, 1.04) can prove it I think we'll know wtf is happening.

The video I was mentioning is this (long but worth it. You can skip the intro bashing Nvidia's practises...)

That is wrong. From 1.04 on, TAA is sharpened by the game while DLSS is not. That is why DLSS appears blurrier than native resolution. We have solid evidence of this, more about that here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kgfbsr
The pastepin configuration file clearly states DLSS sharpening is inactive.

Top Bottom