Improving Quests

+
Hello,

So I am a big fan of RPGs and narrative games, and one of the things I hope will be improved in the future are quests. Both in terms of improving the UI, but also the variety, who you work for, and most importantly choice and consequences. So here ae my thoughts for the moment. I am curious what others think.

Quest UI
This is a big one for me as a good Quest UI is important. Unfortunately, it can be hard to keep track of Quests because you got things like all the buying of Car 'quests' and then some quests which are connected fill it up; looking at you Delamain finding cab quests. It is minor but I think this would help at least a little.

Choice and Consequences
This to me is the big thing I feel is currently missing. The quests should have a lot of choice and consequences. They could be different options for completing the quests, they could affect just a small part, or there could be a major quest chain affecting the whole city.

To use the Witcher 3 for example, there were plenty of quests with choice and Consequences, some minor as just determining the outcome, but others major quests like the whole reason of state quest line that determined the fate of the north. I haven't encountered stuff like that yet in my play through and this is what I feel is most missing.

Corporation Involvement
This is one thing that so far I have found rather lacking. Corporations should be involved in everything. While I have been doing a lot of side Quests and Gigs, I haven't encountered anything like the Maelstorm quest in the beginning, that had militech involved. Which is odd, there should be corpo involvement everywhere. You should feel there presence in every quest, and more over be able to interact with them.

Even if it was just a side gig say involving the tyger claws, but at the end you meet with your contact to deliver items, and the contacts are Arasaka agents, who tell you that they will take it from there. Perhaps in other quests you get the option to work for them, or betray them.

Your Lifepath defines you
Our lifepath should offer more than just dialogue options. Quests should open for us. Corpo V should interact more with corpos, perhaps some quests for Corpo V will start with the corporations instead of a fixer, while a street kid might have more quests with Gangs. You should have paths that are only available for you if you on a certain life path, you should have certain quests just not available if you have a certain life path.

Delivery Contacts
A minor thing that bugs me is that a lot of the thieving and deliver quests have you drop the item off at a drop box location. Instead what I would love is if you met with someone, a contact for your fixer, the police, gangs, corporations, and so on. This would help IMO with interacting with the world and making it feel more alive.

Types of Quests
Right now we have Main story missions, side missions, and gigs. Most of what I am asking here probably would fall under Side Jobs though some could be gigs. But what I haven't seen are more over arching quests and side quests that explore areas and factions.

Area Quests
Each area so downtown, Watson, Japantown, haywood, etc, should all have their own quest about the region and the politics and intrigue within them.

In the witcher 3, you had quests like the Bloody Baron that took you around Valen, the quests with Triss and Dstrika in Novigrad, the Quests in Skellige. Yes these were main mission quests but the thing is that it let you explore the region. So if they are going to add quests there should be quests focused on each area. Let the neighborhoods color shine through.

Faction Quests Quests
There should be quests with the various factions, be it corporations, Gangs, or the Police. These should be quests that let us explore the inner workings of these factions. If we decide to side with Maelstorm there should be stuff there. I want to not just steal stuff from gangs but get involved with their politics, I want to see quests involving Trauma team, Biotechnica, Max-Tech, SovOil,Tyger claws, and so on.

LifePath Quests
As mentioned our lifepath should define us and what is important here is that there is quest chain / a series of unique quests, with plenty of choices and consquences that are specifically designed for each lifepath and about exploring the life path. Perhaps for Corpo V there is stuff about your old boss in Arasaka and his rival, and you can pick up there.

These are just my thoughts on how to improve quests, I hope that CDPR listens and I am curious what others think. :)

Sincerely,
Herkles

What I don't get is the completed list and the journel not saving you collapsed the list. We can't replay missions. Why is the completed list there?

something i really hoped for was that when Arasaka kicked me out i would get a chance to join Militech, i mean it would make sense wouldn't it? Arasaka fired me for some stupid internal power reason that i couldn't influence, im still an experienced counter intelligence spy, who has tonnes of information about their main competitor, and i should have done more than enough to attract Militech's interest.

What I don't get is the completed list and the journel not saving you collapsed the list. We can't replay missions. Why is the completed list there?
Honestly I don't care about replaying quests in a single playthrough, to replay the quests one should just load or start a new game.

Keep in mind that in the Witcher 3 you couldn't replay quests either. They were down there to show what quests were done, plus add some comments as to how you did the quests.

something i really hoped for was that when Arasaka kicked me out i would get a chance to join Militech, i mean it would make sense wouldn't it? Arasaka fired me for some stupid internal power reason that i couldn't influence, im still an experienced counter intelligence spy, who has tonnes of information about their main competitor, and i should have done more than enough to attract Militech's interest.
Yea, this could potentially offer up another ending, especially if one is going to romance Meredith. And in general give more stuff for corpo V.

Top Bottom