Skellige is still ridiculously strong

+
And you are again missing the point of CCG balance.

You build your deck one way and you take the risk that you will get steamrolled by someone who teched against you specifically. This is the basis of a diverse and challenging game. The important part comes down to your personal skill level to adapt to these uncomfortable (or broken, if you prefer?) situations and how many you can actually overcome of these unfavored mathcups. Pro players get there by dedication and practice.

God save us from a gamestate where we can cover most situations with one set of cards.
What ever happened to the notion that if you play well with a well constructed deck, you have a chance of winning. It is never a good thing when one deck defeats anything that does not specifically tech against it. Tech is intended to strengthen a deck against its specific weaknesses, not as a necessity to compete against specific opponents.

By the way, I am speaking theoretically here — I don’t claim Lippy decks have reached that point.

What ever happened to the notion that if you play well with a well constructed deck, you have a chance of winning. It is never a good thing when one deck defeats anything that does not specifically tech against it. Tech is intended to strengthen a deck against its specific weaknesses, not as a necessity to compete against specific opponents.

By the way, I am speaking theoretically here — I don’t claim Lippy decks have reached that point.
But you see, we speak more or less the same here: no matter if a deck defeats anything that does not tech against it, or a deck does not need a single tech as it cannot be defeated - is the same story of an overpowered set.
As long as decks need to consider tech choices - different choices for different scenarios I'd add - all is well.

And currently there is no single deck in the meta that does not have at least 1 solid counter. A fair state I'd say.

Lippy deck is also strong if you ask me. Just puke everything you have on the board, bleed, rinse and repeat. No skill and very borong.

There's nothing wrong with SK being strong, instead of nerfing them, other factions should power up to their level. And this has been the case, we have seen patch after patch that each faction has been getting love and attention to increase their power level, now to the point where ST is in a good spot, NG too. There's nothing wrong with SK having the strength they have.

There's nothing wrong with SK being strong, instead of nerfing them, other factions should power up to their level. And this has been the case, we have seen patch after patch that each faction has been getting love and attention to increase their power level, now to the point where ST is in a good spot, NG too. There's nothing wrong with SK having the strength they have.
Pretty much this.

I'd go further - most of the factions are indeed good right now, a rare and welcome state in Gwent, definitely something not seen in the past months. To list a few examples of T1-2 candidates across the board:

MO:
- Viy,
- classic OH Haunt,
- Koschey Thrive

NR:
- classic SW
- any version of Revenant control
- Griffin swarm with Roegner

NG:
- a wide variation of old 'Ball' archetypes got significantly better
- Deck clog + Kolgrim is a serious contender on the ladder

SK:
- all the various 'Warriors' decks
- Lippy/Cerys
- Battle Trance druids + Cerys
- to some extent Arnaghad+Sukrus (far from the impact many prophecized)

SY:
- Fireswarm variations remain very effective
- Passiflora to some extent
- probably at the weakest spot when it comes to variety of competitve decks, Rayla+Salamander cannot break out from meme rank for now

ST:
- classic Nature's Gift builds are still solid
- movement package is very strong (all variations)

Nothing wrong with SK, true that. It just lacks skill. Just execute the plan mixed with a bit of luck and win. Lippy is extremely lame. Just spit everything you have on the board. No need to even plan anything. It's brainless. I think 1 out of 3 matches I play are against Lippy. If I am unlucky drawing the right cards it will be a hard match, most likely a loss. So many Lippy decks being played says a lot about the players of this game...

Guest 4375874

that's not the case though is it. You say it is while ignoring every other faction is relying on a single leader or archetype to carry it and more importantly do not have half the consistency. Adding a few strong cards is not the same thing as bringing them to the same level as SK. It's not 1 or 2 cards that makes SK strong it's not even 1 or 2 leaders.

When the devs tried to balance them by nerfing SW, they just moved to another leader and when they nerfed GS they also adjusted. So while I agree that other factions need to be on the same level they are not. Only 1 other faction (NR) can compete at high level without relying on a scenario. Have you noticed SK hasn't needed theirs for months now...they can choose to include one or not while others were reliant on them. When other factions can do the same, not bank on a single card, then you'll know they are at SK level.
Post automatically merged:

Pretty much this.

I'd go further - most of the factions are indeed good right now, a rare and welcome state in Gwent, definitely something not seen in the past months. To list a few examples of T1-2 candidates across the board:

MO:
- Viy,
- classic OH Haunt,
- Koschey Thrive
There's nothing T1 about Viy, T2 maybe and that's if you don't know how to play against it. I played against it, won R1 easily...forced them to play Haunt in R2 and Heatwaved Viy at the end of R3. Koschey is not even T2. I've never even encountered anyone using it except me and I'm about to remove it. The trade off in board space isn't worth 2 or 3 larvae for a few turns and even then it barely breaks even with it's provision cost. If you look at individual cards you can always argue your point and make it appear valid but the discussion is about the factions as a whole.

Haunt got nerfed and rightly so, I couldn't care less honestly as a MO player. 1 card carrying a faction, any faction, is and always will be a joke. That doesn't make it comparable to SK in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, let me get this straight. These two cards have almost the same capability printed (Order: Damage an enemy by 1; Cooldown 2; Reduce the cooldown when you play a card of certain category). One is row locked and the other is not. One doesn't have Zeal and the other has (immediately playing for 5 for 4, while the other doesn't). If they get removed by a 4P removal card, one card would have played for more points and has the freedom to play on any row.

Fantastic!
You have overlooked one small but important detail: brokvar hunter can damage any unit, which is a complete gamechanger against boardclogging tactics or even mill to some extend and therefore obviously synergyzes with almost every SK deck, be it self wound, bloodthirst, beast druids etc.

I'm new to this game, I installed it after completing The Witcher 3, but honestly, at the moment I do not get any pleasure from the game and I just want to quit it.
The balance team just broke this faction by adding such strong cards of this faction that it is impossible to play against it.
Very strong bronzes compared to other factions, broken witchers, broken mechanics, it's just that everything is broken...
Just look at Arnaghad with the adrenaline that Heralt summons with Kven.
Tell me how to play against him.

When I first run into SK players, it's just to give up right away and not waste my nerves trying to somehow resist.

I play a lot of online games (I played StarCraft, LOL, Dota, CS, etc.) and for many years I write for the first time on the forum on the game about how unbalanced it is.

Honestly developers, do something with the game, at the moment it does not bring any pleasure.
I'm just going to just stop playing it because it's not a game, it's just something broken and not funny.

I used machine translation, so I'm sorry if you find any mistakes in my words.

Last edited:
I'm new to this game, I installed it after completing The Witcher 3, but honestly, at the moment I do not get any pleasure from the game and I just want to quit it.
The balance team just broke this faction by adding such strong cards of this faction that it is impossible to play against it.
Very strong bronzes compared to other factions, broken witchers, broken mechanics, it's just that everything is broken...
Just look at Arnaghad with the adrenaline that Heralt summons with Kven.
Tell me how to play against him.

When I come across SK players for the first time, it's just to give up immediately and not waste your nerves trying to somehow resist.

I play a lot of online games (I played StarCraft, LOL, Dota, CS, etc.) and for many years I write for the first time on the forum on the game about how unbalanced it is.

Honestly developers, do something with the game, at the moment it does not bring any pleasure.
I'm just going to just stop playing it because it's not a game, it's just something broken and not funny.

I used machine translation, so I'm sorry if you find any mistakes in my words.
I understand your frustration with anaghad, and I think his adrenaline should probably be 2 or so but there are ways to counter him. one of the answers is the usual ace up everyones sleeve heatwave but you can also just lock arnaghad. People dont like including locks in their decks (except NG) but tbh locks are very strong in this meta with cards like arn, gezras, kolgrim and the list goes on

I understand your frustration with anaghad, and I think his adrenaline should probably be 2 or so but there are ways to counter him. one of the answers is the usual ace up everyones sleeve heatwave but you can also just lock arnaghad. People dont like including locks in their decks (except NG) but tbh locks are very strong in this meta with cards like arn, gezras, kolgrim and the list goes on

Honestly, Gezras and Kolgrim are not that strong compared to Arnaghad.
Under Gezraz, you need to build a certain deck and so that he synergizes with it as much as possible. Usually it is Movement SK.
When I understand that I will play against the gesras, then during the game I prepare strategies for how to resist it, or simply remove it by spending 5 damage.

It's the same with Kolgrim - in order to implement it, you need to adjust the deck for him so that he is as effective as possible. Usually the NG player who plays with Kolgrim dumps his spies (unnecessary cards) into my deck and releases Kolgrim in the 3rd round.
To do this, he needs to adhere to this strategy for the whole party in order for it to pay off - I think that this is not bad and not so imbalanced.

But as for Arnaghad, this card is so versatile that it fits almost any strategy and deck. After all, nothing needs to be adjusted to it, you just see that the adrenaline will be active - release Arnagard and win. No big mind is needed for this

Last edited:
Honestly, Gezras and Kolgrim are not that strong compared to Arnaghad.
Under Gezraz, you need to build a certain deck and so that he synergizes with it as much as possible. Usually it is Movement SK.
When I understand that I will play against the gesras, then during the game I prepare strategies for how to resist it, or simply remove it by spending 5 damage.

It's the same with Kolgrim - in order to implement it, you need to adjust the deck for him so that he is as effective as possible. Usually the NG player who plays with Colgrim dumps his spies (unnecessary cards) into my deck and releases Gezras in the 3rd round.
To do this, he needs to adhere to this strategy for the whole party in order for it to pay off - I think that this is not bad and not so imbalanced.

But as for Arnaghad, this card is so versatile that it fits almost any strategy and deck. After all, nothing needs to be adjusted to it, you just see that the adrenaline will be active - release Arnagard and win. No big mind is needed for this
well kind of but no. without any setup arnaghad is not play and win. you need to setup either damaged units or defender/sukrus, both can be interrupted depending on the opponents deck. but I somewhat agree, it is a lot easier to setup than kolgrim or gezras. I dont think arnaghad is well designed, its just another super binary win condition card and probably shouldnt be 10provision. but just keeping a heatwave/lock in hand can solve the problem easily.

but I somewhat agree, it is a lot easier to setup than kolgrim or gezras. I dont think arnaghad is well designed, its just another super binary win condition card and probably shouldnt be 10provision.
Like all other broken SK cards

Like all other broken SK cards
Mind listing all those 'broken' cards there?
Don't want to sound ignorant to your problem, but I've yet to find anything 'broken' since the old Harald days in SK. Versatile and powerful cards? Sure. Broken? Nah, nothing really. Arnaghad is definitely not in league with the best and most powerful cards this expansion. It is binary, but also very easy to predict and counter. And no, it does not fit into any deck, and yes, it needs a setup in order to have any serious effect.

Gyg

Forum regular
The SK problem is not a single card but The overall Power of most cards and how they synergise with each other. Also, why we have so many cyberpunk threads in Gwent forum? Or is it my phone that shows threads incorrectly.

Last edited:
The SK problem is not a single card but The overall Power of most cards and how they synergise with each other. Also, why we have so much cyberpunk threads in Gwent forum? Or is it my phone that shows threads incorrectly
Yes, SK synergy is a real topic, I agree. But again, the aim is to bring most factions to the same level - although still a long way to go, but WotW at least made solid steps in that direction without introducing anything gamebreaking.

And yes, for some reason CP2077 threads seem to slip into the gwent subsection for a while now.

Guest 4375874

The SK problem is not a single card but The overall Power of most cards and how they synergise with each other. Also, why we have so much cyberpunk threads in Gwent forum? Or is it my phone that shows threads incorrectly
I was wondering the same. It seems the posts under "community" show in any of the forum depending on how you have filtered..."hot topics" etc. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work :shrug:

As for SK yes I agree. Adding a lock doesn't help, not only does that break your own synergy but you'd also need more than 1 while they maintain their synergy and require no locks. That's not balance.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, SK synergy is a real topic, I agree. But again, the aim is to bring most factions to the same level - although still a long way to go, but WotW at least made solid steps in that direction without introducing anything gamebreaking.

And yes, for some reason CP2077 threads seem to slip into the gwent subsection for a while now.
There were already gamebreaking things from the last expansion, or are we pretending the game was ok before WOTW? NG has perhaps moved back to it's previous position before the double ball nerf which is great but not much has changed beyond that.

I was wondering the same. It seems the posts under "community" show in any of the forum depending on how you have filtered..."hot topics" etc. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work
And now, a word from a moderator: Ay, the Community section is shared in common between all three Forums. We try to move the most obvious Cyberpunk wanderers to their proper destination.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Top Bottom