Save files are corrupted

+
My save is 32mb, I've dismantled every piece of junk and gun since lv1, only crafted something like 10 items however..
I've had friends craft for money, it seems a case to case basis and RNG whether or not you get fuckerino.

Maybe you mean it is 3.2 mb?

I'd love to see proof of that. No offense, but 8.192 seems too logic a number to not be a hardcoded limit. If you've got a save file that is 4 times that, I'm going to need to see it with my own eyes before I believe it.
Like I said, I didn't mass craft, I just dismantled (which I don't think entirely counts as crafting)
SS maybe I'm doing something wrong. (If I am tell me how to pls :p)

Did some testing on what I experienced caused issues - crafting. Long post, TLDR at the bottom. Also going to open a ticket with this info to see if that can gain more exposure. Btw I'm not an IT professional so not sure if any of this even matters in the end, just using slightly logical testing.

- Starting file size - 7,965KB.
- Total item/upgrade components - 87,409.
- Money - 148,288
- Level - 33
- Crafting level - 18 (max xp for that level)

Test 1: After loading in, I immediately opened my inventory and dropped every item I could out of my inventory and saved. File size reduced by 2KB to 7,963KB. Picking the items back up and saving reduced the file size by an additional 14KB to 7,949KB. Repeating these steps, dropping items again decreased file size by 2KB to 7,947KB. However picking the items up increased file size by 2KB this time, back to 7,949KB. I then crafted 39 weapons (Ashura - 15 rare, 15 epic, 1 legendary), this decreased file size by 158KB to 7,791KB. Dropping just those crafted weapons decreased file size by 2KB again and picking them up increased by 2KB.

Results - Inconclusive but a good starting point. The first reduction of 14KB when picking items up could have been caused by items being deleted when dropped(?). Spending materials seems to be a good way to decrease size.

Test 2: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. Crafting the Ashuras (37 this time due to perk proc, which did not change the amount of materials used) reduced file size again 158KB. This could indicate that the materials used amounted to the same reduction and the variation of amount crafted did not have a noticeable impact (wrong...), however it was only 2 less crafts. Dropping and picking up resulted in the same 2KB decrease/increase.

Results - Inconclusive but now let's look at drawing down materials.

Test 3: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. I crafted approx 3k MaxDox MK.3 (9 common, 3 uncommon) to draw down item component count. Ended with around 50k in total components, approx 36k reduction. I saved after the craft was done and my file size was at the max 8,192KB. I dropped the 3k that I crafted, saved, still 8,192KB. Finally, sold to drop box, waited two days for drop box to clear it's inventory, saved and still hitting the 8,192KB file size. All are saves are corrupted.

Results - ...wtf

Test 4: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. Instead of doing a lot of crafting, lets upgrade legendary items to draw down everything at once with not a lot of interactions. Upgraded legendary weapon until legendary items were empty as was done in test 2 with the Ashura crafting (29 legendary item component was the limiting factor). This reduced every item and upgrade component count, file size at 7,800KB, about in line with crafting the Ashura. Let's get rid of more rare and epic materials then since legendary was depleted. Crafting 50 epic headgear pieces (12 uncommon, 9 rare, 15 epic) resulted in a file size of 7,821KB, 21KB increase. Let's try crafting legendary item components to go back to upgrading then. Crafted 25 Legendary crafting components, upgraded various items until depleted, file size now at 7,834KB, 13KB increase.

Final results - No clue and I wasted more time. I could do more testing but I think this is enough for anyone in the same boat of "How can I fix this" to just not waste time and wait for an official response.

TLDR -Removing items from inventory (dropping) barely decreased file size. Crafting and upgrading legendary weapons to reduce components was a slight help. Lot's of crafting interaction increased file size. Inconclusive, so might be best to wait for official response instead of wasting time trying to fix if not IT Professional.

Thank you for your input with this issue, it's very helpful. It's something I've very concerned about since I love crafting in pretty much every game lol

Like I said, I didn't mass craft, I just dismantled (which I don't think entirely counts as crafting)
SS maybe I'm doing something wrong. (If I am tell me how to pls :p)

Well I'm not sure what you're storing in that folder, but it says it contains 137 files. A normal save folder contains 3 :p.

Look. If your actual save file is bigger than 8MB then I'd not only like to see that save file, but I'd also really like to see your ini files, because maybe your client has a solution. I need real data then though.

It's kind of subjective what's considered "legit", exploitative etc... If there's a way to craft an item and then dismantle it and get MORE stuff out that you put in, that's a huge oversight in the crafting system by the devs imo. I have hard time believing using crafting in such a way was ever intended. So in MY OPINION it's not "legit" game play and it's exploiting the system.

So I would fix that crafting issue first and then see if it's even possible to craft/loot thousands of items to bloat your save file during a play through. If the problem still persists after like, lets say 500-1000 hours, on a single save file, then it might need fixing.

If this is your argument then better rework the whole crafting tree perk.

There's a perk when you disassemble items with 15% chance to get a free component, there's a gain more components while disassembling perk, reduce cost by 30%, reduce upgrade cost by 20%, grants 20% to craft an item for free, grants 10% of free upgrade, reduce upgrade costs, chance to acquire free component while upgrading and there's still perk progression rewards every other level that adds the percentage in this. So then they better destroy this whole damn tree.

There's a perk when you disassemble items with 15% chance to get a free component, there's a gain more components while disassembling perk, reduce cost by 30%, reduce upgrade cost by 20%, grants 20% to craft an item for free, grants 10% of free upgrade, reduce upgrade costs, chance to acquire free component while upgrading and there's still perk progression rewards every other level that adds the percentage in this. So then they better destroy this whole damn tree.
No kidding, right? I'm getting punished for reading the skill trees and seeing "Woah, that seems broken! Lets play with it!"
I really, really wanna go to bat for CDPR. I'm loving every second of this game. But jesus is it hard to.

I agree, sounds like a rework needed.

Man this company disappoint me more and more every day.

To this day I am still playing on same original Skyrim save file and Fallout 4 that I have since I started playing those games, I have 1500 hours on each of those games. Crafted and collected tons of items.

Maybe you should reach out to other companies and ask for support if you do not know how, instead of giving us stupid answers like that.

What kind of company release an open world game with this kind of configuration in mind?

Most of the people who are buying this kind of game craft items, and collect legendary that is part of the fun, now we are been told just play the story and start again.

You guys officially are put on my blacklist, you have lied to your customers, lied to XBOX and Sony.

The answer given by the moderator and tech support are unacceptable and they should be ashamed.

Seriously you guys should consider pulling the game out of all the platforms and go back to beta.

For AAA game at $80 the sate of the game is abysmal.

We gamers understand that video games are not perfect at releases and will required patches, but this kind of bugs are just gaming breaking and should have been fix during beta.

Between the content that were advertised and that are not in the game and the bugs are discover every day that are game breaking and the stupid answer that we are receiving from your company I think your fans and loyal customers have enough.

Like my dad use to say it will take a life time to build your reputation and one mistake to completely destroy it.

This bug is priority.

Im loving this game and been following this thread since yesterday. Actually I have played more than 82 hours (Very Hard Mode) and my save file size is 5.12MB, after reading this thread I always have to be careful with grabbing to much stuff. I don't like playing like this being worried about my file getting corrupted. Please CD ProjektRed fix this fast, this is not a joke and it will affect every hardcore player of this game eventually.

something is inflating the size the saves even when not doing anything, I'm pretty sure it's duplicate in the data.
Don't know if there's a solution tho.

I suspect its storing data it doesnt need or duplicates like you said. Many cases reported online of bodies killed remaining in the spot 30 hours later in the city. Ive experienced it myself. Ive got 35 hours, barely any crafting, but a lot of disassembly and my save is 3.5mb so far... Scared to really play more until they fix it.

They need to take this extremely seriously. I said it before, this has to be an all hands on deck priority zero issue. We need a statement from them its being worked on and an ETA ASAP!

Please remember that Moderators are just long-time Forum members that CDPR has asked to help keep things friendly and orderly in the Forums. We're not developers and our opinions and attempts to help process technical issues here aren't official statements from CDPR (as is clearly stated in the Forum Regulations).

Also, please remember that the first rule of the forums in to treat others with kindness and respect. Personal attacks and commentary on the quality of other people's posts is not the topic of the thread.

Last edited:
Please remember that Moderators are just long-time Forum members that CDPR has asked to help keep things friendly and orderly in the Forums. We're not developers and our opinions and attempts to help process technical issues here aren't official statements from CDPR (as is clearly stated in the Forum Regulations).

Also, please remember that the first rule of the forums in to treat others with kindness and respect. Personal attacks and commentary on the quality of others posts is not the topic of the thread.

I just wish to say, the concern here for me seems to be, the official addressing of the issue with a 'might' increase save file size limits, from CDPR. I've been around since Witcher 1 making mods for the community, but I fully understand the agitation here. This issue needs to be addressed, not considered by the team. Where I'm coming from, with all respect.

Just a quick notification we're not hitting some karma level comeuppance for using crafting in it's broken state.
We're hitting a really big issue ahead of the curve.

Fact is, if you use crafting, sooner or later, you will reach a savegame bloat hardcap.
If you play without crafting, we don't know yet, but savegames do increase. So It's entirely possible that even without crafting you'll eventually just hit the 8mb limit by playing the game and enjoying your time in it.

The big question at this point becomes, when.
If played normally, it seems you wouldn't hit this hard limit until after the Main Story has been finished.
It seems possible to play 100% without hitting this too. But results are not in yet for that.

The really pointed question is, will the average player taking their time, hit this hard cap before they're done with the game.
If not, there'll be a large quantity of players who've sunked like 100+ hours into this game, that will be very upset they've lost their progression.

Aside from that, be aware that the game runs fine. It will just not load anymore. Meaning if you've hit the hard cap at the start of a session, you could play an entire day, erase all your loadable quicksaves, autosaves, and if you only save manually at the end of your session, you could easily lose 10+ hours of gameplay.
If they're particularly sticklers for space, they may even delete their old manual saves, and only have 1 or even worse, they may only rely on autosaves and quicksaves, and suddenly have lost their entire playthrough.

A set back like that is enough to make many even experienced players sigh out in defeat and walk away from the game forever.

It's important that this issue is resolved as soon as possible, one way or another. For now we've got workarounds. That can mitigate the issue.

Like I mentioned in a previous post.
Don't craft (it's the biggest source of bloat, non stackables bloat more than consumables)
Keep your inv managed, and don't stockpile materials.
Skipping time is pretty quick, so regularly when you're not doing anything specific, just skip a day and let store inventories reset if you've recently sold anything.
Disassembling seems to not add bloat (other than the component bloat, which is cured by selling the components)
Other than that, there is some natural bloat as you play the game.
Keep a close eye on what you do.

As for the increasing in save files. This'll be a patch job. It'd mean less likely that saves will break because they can write away all their data. That doesn't fix the issue but mitigates the corrupted saves by making loads unbearable long, but loadable.
This could eventually result in someone (from the modding community perhaps) making a tool that'll trim your savegame from the bloat.
A corrupted save is unsalvagable afterall. But a 1GB savegame may be trimmable back to 4mb or so if it's superfulous bloat.

Tried a couple of other things with no real results yet;

- Added the ini changes to the already existing ini 'gameservices.ini'. Seemed logical but no.
- Tried to use a TW3 save editor to see if they somewhat matched, but i'm getting too many errors to feel okay changing the code
- Currently installing TW3 to see if they've got any clues in the files. Probably not, but who knows.

Just a quick notification we're not hitting some karma level comeuppance for using crafting in it's broken state.
We're hitting a really big issue ahead of the curve.

Fact is, if you use crafting, sooner or later, you will reach a savegame bloat hardcap.
If you play without crafting, we don't know yet, but savegames do increase. So It's entirely possible that even without crafting you'll eventually just hit the 8mb limit by playing the game and enjoying your time in it.

The big question at this point becomes, when.
If played normally, it seems you wouldn't hit this hard limit until after the Main Story has been finished.
It seems possible to play 100% without hitting this too. But results are not in yet for that.

The really pointed question is, will the average player taking their time, hit this hard cap before they're done with the game.
If not, there'll be a large quantity of players who've sunked like 100+ hours into this game, that will be very upset they've lost their progression.

Aside from that, be aware that the game runs fine. It will just not load anymore. Meaning if you've hit the hard cap at the start of a session, you could play an entire day, erase all your loadable quicksaves, autosaves, and if you only save manually at the end of your session, you could easily lose 10+ hours of gameplay.
If they're particularly sticklers for space, they may even delete their old manual saves, and only have 1 or even worse, they may only rely on autosaves and quicksaves, and suddenly have lost their entire playthrough.

A set back like that is enough to make many even experienced players sigh out in defeat and walk away from the game forever.

It's important that this issue is resolved as soon as possible, one way or another. For now we've got workarounds. That can mitigate the issue.

Like I mentioned in a previous post.
Don't craft (it's the biggest source of bloat, non stackables bloat more than consumables)
Keep your inv managed, and don't stockpile materials.
Skipping time is pretty quick, so regularly when you're not doing anything specific, just skip a day and let store inventories reset if you've recently sold anything.
Disassembling seems to not add bloat (other than the component bloat, which is cured by selling the components)
Other than that, there is some natural bloat as you play the game.
Keep a close eye on what you do.

As for the increasing in save files. This'll be a patch job. It'd mean less likely that saves will break because they can write away all their data. That doesn't fix the issue but mitigates the corrupted saves by making loads unbearable long, but loadable.
This could eventually result in someone (from the modding community perhaps) making a tool that'll trim your savegame from the bloat.
A corrupted save is unsalvagable afterall. But a 1GB savegame may be trimmable back to 4mb or so if it's superfulous bloat.

I am considering starting over. I am still early game, but I did all the sidequests in my area, every single one, and every single hustle until I leveled up crafting really high, and I've been breaking down every junk weapon I find, and crafting like a madman. I can make purple gear to wear which rocks all else after upgrading, I can make better upgrade parts from the junk I get even from the random star events of crime which I looted madly, and I know how this is going to end now after all that mass crafting..

I just wish to say, the concern here for me seems to be, the official addressing of the issue with a 'might' increase save file size limits, from CDPR. I've been around since Witcher 1 making mods for the community, but I fully understand the agitation here. This issue needs to be addressed, not considered by the team. Where I'm coming from, with all respect.
increasing the size of the save won't solve the issue from coming back, it's the way data is stored into the save that has an issue, you already have a black screen before every loading since 5.5 mb, that's for me a concern too, if the double the size, what would you do when you'll reach this new limit... there's something going on, maybe it's a perk, like the auto dismantle perk. let's just give them information and let them do their work and fix this when they can...

Top Bottom