Comparable Rpg with Immersion - like Cyberpunk but with heart and substance. Suggestions? (Also comparison and talk a little about Cyberpunk etc.

+
Kingdom Come Deliverance - you do have set protagonist but it's an RPG through and through. It's also one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

Got this also on my list but wasn't able to play a bad guy. It's kind of as the game force you to be good. XD

Edit: Kind like CP which don't. Mind if you start corpo.. You have to hate them.

Got this also on my list but wasn't able to play a bad guy. It's kind of as the game force you to be good. XD

Edit: Kind like CP which don't. Mind if you start corpo.. You have to hate them.
I share your feelings here. It's fun to play a game where you can be what you are not in real life. I'm not saying I'm a hero who saves the world in real life but sometimes I like to play the villain or at the very least a well done anti-hero but ideally I'd rather choose for myself what kind of character I will play and then play a different kind of character on the second play through. So few games allow you to do that these days it seems choosing instead to force you into this stale, uninspiring role. Fallout 2 was probably one of my favorite games that allowed me to be the jerk I always dreamed of being.

Guest 3847602

Yeah, that's kind of a problem, I admit. To be precise, you have freedom to be pretty immoral while dealing with sidequests, but you have to be goody two-shoes in the main quest.

I share your feelings here. It's fun to play a game where you can be what you are not in real life. I'm not saying I'm a hero who saves the world in real life but sometimes I like to play the villain or at the very least a well done anti-hero but ideally I'd rather choose for myself what kind of character I will play and then play a different kind of character on the second play through. So few games allow you to do that these days it seems choosing instead to force you into this stale, uninspiring role. Fallout 2 was probably one of my favorite games that allowed me to be the jerk I always dreamed of being.

Jeah I am got more sympathy with the anti hero than. The shinny gold boy. It's kind of weird that the hero has no sharp edges or that he can't solve it in a harsh manner. Sadly newer games restrict that hard as you say fallout 2 got many freedom to play a character how you like to play. Not like nowadays CP for example where Corpos after 6 Months are like Street Gangster don't identify with the past years? Serious?
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, that's kind of a problem, I admit. To be precise, you have freedom to be pretty immoral while dealing with sidequests, but you have to be goody two-shoes in the main quest.

Yeah that was a major turn off in the middle of the story. It's to shinny white knight style.

I would say Deus Ex series; indeed excluding invisible war...

The ability to defeat a boss with a password is immeasurably satisfying :)

Also the Dishonored series may be an option; it is tad bit on the RPG side but the backdrop is incredible, especially the first one...

Huh? What exactly does CP do better? Deus Ex had a more impactful cybernetics system, a better itemization/gear system, "better", more involved hacking (not talking about quickhacks), faaa-aaa-aaar superior enemy AI,... yea, I guess that's enough, isn't it?
Tried to play those modern Deus Ex games few weeks ago. At launch, they were fine, but nowhere near the Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of...everything. They both aged badly. They are too small, too broken and too easy. Auto-cutscene-fighting? One of the worst shooting in a history of videogames. Shooting in "Invisible war" was better (i like that game). Stupid AI. Has anyone tried to throw a box in the wall to lure the guards one-by-one and silently kill them all in the same place? On a hardest difficulty? I did. It was easy and boring. There is no open world in these games. I dont know, i cant name anything in those games that was better than Cyberpunk at all. Anything. The graphics was bad even in the time of launch. But it has a beautiful visual design. Generic characters, nowhere near the Cyberpunk 2077 characters (they are masterpiece). Have you played these games recently? You have to try. I can't do that anymore after the brilliance of Cyberpunk 2077.
Is it looking somewhat fun? Is this enemy AI "far superior"? looooooool

And that is from Cyberpunk 2077, for comparison: https://leonardo.osnova.io/0652c57f-6651-5169-ab48-51d8284f3bbb/-/format/mp4/

Last edited:
Tried to play those modern Deus Ex games few weeks ago. At launch, they were fine, but nowhere near the Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of...everything. They both aged badly. They are too small, too broken and too easy. Auto-cutscene-fighting? One of the worst shooting in a history of videogames. Shooting in "Invisible war" was better (i like that game). Stupid AI. Has anyone tried to throw a box in the wall to lure the guards one-by-one and silently kill them all in the same place? On a hardest difficulty? I did. It was easy and boring. There is no open world in these games. I dont know, i cant name anything in those games that was better than Cyberpunk at all. Anything. The grafics was bad even in the time of launch. But it has a beautiful visual design. Generic characters, nowhere near the Cyberpunk 2077 characters (they are masterpiece). Have you played these games recently? You have to try. I can't do that anymore after the brilliance of Cyberpunk 2077.

Well even if I disagree politely that this game is brilliant, it is indeed beautiful on the first look. But it breaks so hard the Immersion and shares so less customization options and decision variaty that my heart cries out. Without Immersion and Fluff it's kind of a shame and a sad world for me.

Tried to play those modern Deus Ex games few weeks ago. At launch, they were fine, but nowhere near the Cyberpunk 2077 in terms of...everything. They both aged badly. They are too small, too broken and too easy. Auto-cutscene-fighting? One of the worst shooting in a history of videogames. Shooting in "Invisible war" was better (i like that game). Stupid AI. Has anyone tried to throw a box in the wall to lure the guards one-by-one and silently kill them all in the same place? On a hardest difficulty? I did. It was easy and boring. There is no open world in these games. I dont know, i cant name anything in those games that was better than Cyberpunk at all. Anything. The grafics was bad even in the time of launch. But it has a beautiful visual design. Generic characters, nowhere near the Cyberpunk 2077 characters (they are masterpiece). Have you played these games recently? You have to try. I can't do that anymore after the brilliance of Cyberpunk 2077.
Yea, no, CP has worse AI, here you can even lure them with the bodies of their fallen comrads to be all killed on the same spot while they lean and ??? like dolts... at least DE's enemies sometimes turned around when walking down a corridor, knew how to take cover, and actually tried finding you even before they directly spottet you. As for the rest: I did mention none of those points as being superior to CP... strawman arguments, all.

Yea, no, CP has worse AI, here you can even lure them with the bodies of their fallen comrads to be all killed on the same spot while they lean and ??? like dolts... at least DE's enemies sometimes turned around when walking down a corridor, knew how to take cover, and actually tried finding you even before they directly spottet you. As for the rest: I did mention none of those points as being superior to CP... strawman arguments, all.

Haha also it's hilarious how you can Stealth kill a pile of them xD but remember..
Just one animation, doesn't matter if you have a knive or gun in your hand.. You gotta break his neck xD Genius.

Bit off topic, but reading all the responses of "this" games strengths and "that" games strengths, one thing stands out: if CDPR had nailed CP2077 the way they portrayed it, and how we anticipated it, it would have been something damn impressive and quite likely 'revolutionary'. Sad face.

I exclusively game on consoles because I feel like I would end up spending way too much on PC gaming but I've been rethinking that logic. That being said, I played a game on PS4 called "The Observer" and the company who made it recently released a new version of it called "The Observer System Redux" which apparently is the same game but turned up to 11. It's a much more dark and gritty version of Cyberpunk though and it's not the same style of looter shooter, open world ubisoft type of game that CP2077 is but it is a good cyberpunk game which is immersive at least on console and they seem to be very hard to find. Expect a mix of cyberpunk and horror, psychological thriller etc.

I feel bad for completely forgetting to even pick up this game in the first place. This should be a good reminder when I'm not saving up for several other things.

OT:
I have to second the Shadowrun suggestion posted earlier in this thread.

Bit off topic, but reading all the responses of "this" games strengths and "that" games strengths, one thing stands out: if CDPR had nailed CP2077 the way they portrayed it, and how we anticipated it, it would have been something damn impressive and quite likely 'revolutionary'. Sad face.

Sure thing and we all wouldn't suggest some cool games as an alternative surely xD but hey thank you all for those suggestions. Appreciate it.

By the way I changed the title that we don't turn off topic. Now we discuss CP and compare games with it.

No doubt about that. There is even still a foundation there to make a truly amazing game, I just hope they have the humility to take a few steps back and listen to actual gamers who purchase their products instead of consulting whatever defunct magic 8 ball they were using before.

Speaking of immersive cyberpunk games, Rise of the Dragon for PC/Sega CD was a great one for 1990:

Playing these games as little kid sure did a number on me lol.

Is this enemy AI "far superior"? looooooool

Abd that is from Cyberpunk 2077, for comparison: https://leonardo.osnova.io/0652c57f-6651-5169-ab48-51d8284f3bbb/-/format/mp4/
Straw paddler and sneaky editor-after-the-fact... you are doing sooo well in your argumentation. ;)

As for the clips: Most of those enemies are crazed, zombie like cyber psychos, they had to bum rush Adam for story reasons... and the corp troopers at the start of the clip were armored and gave each other covering fire, they tried to smoke Adam out of his cover after he fooled them with his thermo optical camo... something that's not even possible in CP.

The CP clip, in comparison: Just an example of flashy, carnival shooting parlor gameplay, AI doesn't even matter in such scenario.

No doubt about that. There is even still a foundation there to make a truly amazing game, I just hope they have the humility to take a few steps back and listen to actual gamers who purchase their products instead of consulting whatever defunct magic 8 ball they were using before.

Speaking of immersive cyberpunk games, Rise of the Dragon for PC/Sega CD was a great one for 1990:
I will happily go out on a limb and say this game isn't overhyped, we just haven't seen 'the' game yet. For whatever reason we got one cut short, missing features and content, and premature endings. If CDPR hold their nerve, they could get this game to 'legend status'

Skyrim will stand strong pretty much as long as it's mod community and the game with all the graphic mods is really something to behold even today. Oblivion is also a good one with strong RPG elements but with more date graphics or just wait for the Skyblivion mod which redoes Oblivion in the Skyrim engine. The closest new TES we gonna get is from the mod community xD since I doubt Bethesda will release something in the next 2 years or so but lets hope Microsoft will pressure em since they gotta get those $7.5 billion back somehow.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is also a RPG worth always recomending in my mind. It's not so much an open world but a really good RPG based on the pnp World of Darkness game. Good writing, dark atmosphere and gets you pretty good immersed in playing vampire in that world.

Bloodlines came out in horrible shape and needs 3rd party patching. It's good but really dated. Game play has aged well but the cuts scenes were never good.

I exclusively game on consoles because I feel like I would end up spending way too much on PC gaming but I've been rethinking that logic. That being said, I played a game on PS4 called "The Observer" and the company who made it recently released a new version of it called "The Observer System Redux" which apparently is the same game but turned up to 11. It's a much more dark and gritty version of Cyberpunk though and it's not the same style of looter shooter, open world ubisoft type of game that CP2077 is but it is a good cyberpunk game which is immersive at least on console and they seem to be very hard to find. Expect a mix of cyberpunk and horror, psychological thriller etc.

Been so tempted but I never have pulled the trigger on this. So it's worth it? Do you play the game or watch it?

[/QUOTE
Do not look at those crazied people in the middle of the video. But at the police from the start and those geniuses at the end that all went to the door for their death. They cant hide, they can just run, shoot, stand, die that is all their AI...

Last edited:
I will happily go out on a limb and say this game isn't overhyped, we just haven't seen 'the' game yet. For whatever reason we got one cut short, missing features and content, and premature endings. If CDPR hold their nerve, they could get this game to 'legend status'
I share your idealism and hope but caution you all the same. "If" is a mighty big word and the gaming industry is where "hope" goes to die. Also it's very likely that CDPR thinks the game is just fine outside of the bugs/glitches etc.

But......:
download (3).jpg

Been so tempted but I never have pulled the trigger on this. So it's worth it? Do you play the game or watch it?
I played the original version on PS4 and it was 19.99 at most. It was first person which I typically don't enjoy much unless done really well and I thought it was. For the price I paid, yes I thought it was worth it and other people seem to like it a lot. At the end of the 2nd video I posted it mentions a free demo on steam if that is something you can take advantage of. Its much more dark/horror/psychological cyberpunk than Pondsmith's cyberpunk which is pretty much cyberpop in comparison. Maybe watch a few gameplay videos and see what you think or ideally try the demo. I liked it but we all have different tastes.

Top Bottom