Traffic need some serious rework

+
Hopefully they see that this is terrible and get to work on it and not only on optimizing the game to run at more FPS. The game must finish its development, because this is an Early Access.

I also really hope they will improve the traffic soon or maybe mods can help us there?! Cars should not disappear just like that or spawn out of nowhere. Also there are areas on the highway where all the cars just stop driving and stand still on a line.....

And another problem is there appear to be 2 systems. One for the cars in the near vicinity and the other for everything in the distance. Cars in the distance are just headlights or maybe 2d models which is fine. But there are dozens of headlights in front of you sometimes and they all disappear and in the end there are maybe 1-3 cars at best. It looks ridiculous :(
Anything we can do in ini files maybe?

I think they are just working on mission bugs and crashfixes and performance and ofc the damn old consoles :( Traffic wont be a topic for months if ever I presume.

- Distant traffic density doesn't match with the close traffic density
Small tweaks can make it look almost unnoticable
You think the community can do sth. in that regard? If not we got a prob :)

Last edited:
You can ride with no trafic if you aim camera to the side, really sad, this city, story and acting diserve more

I don't think the traffic AI will get much better if they don't build it from scratch.

To put it simply, most of the problems are related to the navigation system. Probably many of you have already noticed that the vehicles you chase on missions moves in exactly the same positions. If someone else is driving your car during the mission, you may have noticed how fake it feels. Because it is following pre-determined path locations, not dynamicly adapting the environment.

1. This is why the police system is not good. Lack of navigation system prevents them to add advanced police mechanics such as chasing targets.

2. This is why traffic is locked up if you park your car in middle of the street, or sometimes even parking spot.

3. This is why the cars that come across the vehicle you chased disappear suddenly. They destroy them because the "chased car" cannot handle advanced dynamic condutions.

And the worst thing is, at this point, changing the traffic navigation system is like changing one of the important part of the story, it impacts too many parts of the game at the same time and it can cause massive amounts of bugs / workflow.

I wish there were cars. I can't find a single car on the road. The entire game is dead. When I first started it was like frogger trying to cross the road, but all the cars are gone now. Pedestrians too.

I don't think the traffic AI will get much better if they don't build it from scratch.

To put it simply, most of the problems are related to the navigation system. Probably many of you have already noticed that the vehicles you chase on missions moves in exactly the same positions. If someone else is driving your car during the mission, you may have noticed how fake it feels. Because it is following pre-determined path locations, not dynamicly adapting the environment.

1. This is why the police system is not good. Lack of navigation system prevents them to add advanced police mechanics such as chasing targets.

2. This is why traffic is locked up if you park your car in middle of the street, or sometimes even parking spot.

3. This is why the cars that come across the vehicle you chased disappear suddenly. They destroy them because the "chased car" cannot handle advanced dynamic condutions.

And the worst thing is, at this point, changing the traffic navigation system is like changing one of the important part of the story, it impacts too many parts of the game at the same time and it can cause massive amounts of bugs / workflow.

In all honesty, I'm simply hoping that work on the system had begun and simply wasn't finished for release time. Thus it would simply be a matter of finishing it.

In the meantime we get this.... let's call it a placeholder.

AI, in Cyberpunk, seems to have a well-designed algorithm. Although it needs to be polished. It is not much different from TW3, with routines and subroutines. It is also not - just - a line in which an object is animated or a line with keyframes, merely as it is done in software such as Maya, Max, C4d (I work with all three, inclusive). But the code is addressed to several small animations.

This animation or several animations, .bvh files (for example) exists in everything in the game (crowd, player, etc.), in behaviors, like looking at one side, smiling, etc. besides walking, running, crouching, jumping, etc. This alone proves what I say, that is, the existence of this algorithm - which determines when animation A, B, C or D will be used, or action and reaction in front of a figure called 'player' or the player in front of any object - illustrating . Although relatively simple, questionable as to its simplicity, it has a whole framework of codes for animations (and there are many, as I wrote above and I repeat, walking, stopping, walking again - start up, walk, stop walk, look at me, look at right side, left side, look at the center, up, down, etc, etc, etc ...).

There is also something called LOD (and I don't mean Level Of Detail), but yes, 'Load Over DIstance' - it might have another name elsewhere. It is when the player object approaches another object and that object, within the 'x' radius, reacts to the player of this or that form and the player, to this object.

I don't have access to Red Engine, but I know UE4 and Unity a little. At Unreal, it's the most boring thing to do, simple animations, let alone more complex things.

Just, like everyone else, I hope that developers are able to improve this in Cyberpunk.

You forgot the cars teleporting right behind you during car races if you're too fast for the AI. I also seen someone mentioning the AI waiting for you if you are too slow

You forgot the cars teleporting right behind you during a car chase if you're too fast for the AI. I also seen someone mentioning the AI waiting for you if you are too slow
...and here is the sad part: I doubt that ever can actually be fixed. Masked better, maybe, but that's probably it.

AI, in Cyberpunk, seems to have a well-designed algorithm. Although it needs to be polished. It is not much different from TW3, with routines and subroutines. It is also not - just - a line in which an object is animated or a line with keyframes, merely as it is done in software such as Maya, Max, C4d (I work with all three, inclusive). But the code is addressed to several small animations.
If you're talking about pathfinding, the situation with AI is slightly different from navigation systems. AI is not bad, they can perform in many cases and small problems with AI's decision making can be solved with little effort. (such as not covering in battle) But the pathfinding / navigation problems with vehicles are complately different.

Vehicles may have extremely limited turning rates, they must be aware of surrounding cars and their velocity, owning car and other car's radius / shape are important. Stopping at red light and moving inside the path is relatively easy. The biggest problems arise when things get complicated.

Even as simple as leaving the vehicle in the middle of the road can block the traffic, because vehicle navigation systems cannot find an alternative route in this situation.

Don't get me wrong, vehicle navigation systems are not easy at all, and leaving the car in middle of the road is simple for players, but it is way too complex for developers because it causes tons of problems.

This is why we have weird problems. Some of the problems are caused by optimization bugs. They simply hide / destroy the cars if they are not rendered.

Some of the problems are caused by navigation system such as dissapearing cars when someone is driving your car or you chase someone.

So it is a complex situation and I don't really think they will change the navigation, but they can surely improve it. But I don't think it will get much better.

n all honesty, I'm simply hoping that work on the system had begun and simply wasn't finished for release time.
We all hope so. :)

If you're talking about pathfinding, the situation with AI is slightly different from navigation systems. AI is not bad, they can perform in many cases and small problems with AI's decision making can be solved with little effort. (such as not covering in battle) But the pathfinding / navigation problems with vehicles are complately different.

Vehicles may have extremely limited turning rates, they must be aware of surrounding cars and their velocity, owning car and other car's radius / shape are important. Stopping at red light and moving inside the path is relatively easy. The biggest problems arise when things get complicated.

Even as simple as leaving the vehicle in the middle of the road can block the traffic, because vehicle navigation systems cannot find an alternative route in this situation.

Don't get me wrong, vehicle navigation systems are not easy at all, and leaving the car in middle of the road is simple for players, but it is way too complex for developers because it causes tons of problems.

This is why we have weird problems. Some of the problems are caused by optimization bugs. They simply hide / destroy the cars if they are not rendered.

Some of the problems are caused by navigation system such as dissapearing cars when someone is driving your car or you chase someone.

So it is a complex situation and I don't really think they will change the navigation, but they can surely improve it. But I don't think it will get much better.

We all hope so. :)

i was just talking about crowd (pedestrians) one of the most hard thing to set in a game. Maybe some help from Take Two/Rockstar...ll be welcome.

Last edited:

Yes, I think the used waypoints and not dynamic navmesh (3d navigation data compiled on runtime) for cars.
Obviously, pedestrians use dynmanic navmesh. You can see it when you leave a car on their path, they will try to move around the car but if they have to move too far away from their path, they will simply walk back in the opposite direction.
Now, the system is here and I don't think it's too complicated to use it for cars too as they done for pedestrians, it's just less performance friendly than basic waypoint system.

Yes, I think the used waypoints and not dynamic navmesh (3d navigation data compiled on runtime) for cars.
Obviously, pedestrians use dynmanic navmesh. You can see it when you leave a car on their path, they will try to move around the car but if they have to move too far away from their path, they will simply walk back in the opposite direction.
Now, the system is here and I don't think it's too complicated to use it for cars too as they done for pedestrians, it's just less performance friendly than basic waypoint system.

The magical words: performance decisions...(but i think they can polish it)

- Yes, it is
- That's so old technique, nothing new and of course nothing good. Used in GTA series too, even in GTA V it is, but not that glaring
- Imposters are very good thing! But there should be limits, for example in Badlands it look so weird, they should increase distance and remove it from Badlands.
- As I said before, they have to remove imposters from Badlands, it's not good looking because Badlands are.. bad lands, noone goes there, that's why there is no heavy traffic like in Night City.
- I have problems with popins only in same areas, overall nothing noticable. But I understand, this shouldn't be there if you run game on fast SSD, high end CPU and shit-ton of memory.

Everyone who played the game can tell that traffic and AI in open world is not finished.

Side thing, but I also wonder where people park their cars in Night City ? When I want to stop somewhere, I wish I could roleplay proper parking. Nope, usualy nowhere to stop, drive on the sidewalk and pretend it's alright.

After 70+ hours in the game, kinda get used to it and it doesn't bother me that much, it feels now like part of the " design ". But how AI crowd and traffic behaves is truly "breathtaking".

Top Bottom