[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
That is actually a big point for me.
The game, like every RPG should, encourages you to play side quests, learn about the world and its inhabitants.
It wants you to experience it as close to reality as possible with stories about justice (River), family trouble (Panam), political intrigues (Peralez), the AI/human question (Delamain) or loss (Judy). The list goes on.
It makes you CARE.

And then, as you care so much it shits on your head. It takes everything away. "Welp, you are done now, toys go back in the box".
Then the box gets thrown into the ocean.

Not even because there is no happy ending (and I will gladly admit that this is my reason to be mad, fight me.), but because you cannot change anything.

It is not even just the side content of chars that make you care imho.

To me at least, I truly CARED for my V ... I see her falling to her knees coughing so often...I see her in that wheelchair after the heist, talking to Misty, the first confrontation with aggressive Johnny and all you can do is watch and endure this ... and maybe its just me, but due to the V-Voice (female one for my V) I ... well, I really felt that fear, despair of it all. The anger at her situation, her desire to find a solution .... only to constantly get setbacks...Hellman telling us nope, the Voodoos playing us, Alt only offering us like "I'll kill you and we'll see"...

It is a constant shit-show for V for me to watch...and Iwouldn't mind to go through all these jarring scenes if the ending(s) allowed me to see her lift the middle finger and grin in the end when she ended her personal "heist" in the most positive note possible for her - overcoming the odds, finding that one way to live on - on her own terms...

I think you do not have to sugarcoat it. Just remove the "6 months" from every of the 3 endings that have it and leave the others like they are now.

Araska: Become Adam Smasher 2.0.

Afterlife Legend: Die in a blaze of glory during space heist like a true legend, cut to some rando drinking a V at the afterlife or have V survive, continuing his story as a legend.

Nomad: V leaves NC with any love interest and the Aldecaldos claiming to have realized having a place to belong to is better than being a legend in the hell that is NC.
THIS. Perfect, no need to animate anything, no need to make new stories, just delete sentence
Post automatically merged:

To me at least, I truly CARED for my V ... I see her falling to her knees coughing so often...I see her in that wheelchair after the heist, talking to Misty, the first confrontation with aggressive Johnny and all you can do is watch and endure this ... and maybe its just me, but due to the V-Voice (female one for my V) I ... well, I really felt that fear, despair of it all. The anger at her situation, her desire to find a solution .... only to constantly get setbacks...Hellman telling us nope, the Voodoos playing us, Alt only offering us like "I'll kill you and we'll see"...

It is a constant shit-show for V for me to watch...and Iwouldn't mind to go through all these jarring scenes if the ending(s) allowed me to see her lift the middle finger and grin in the end when she ended her personal "heist" in the most positive note possible for her - overcoming the odds, finding that one way to live on - on her own terms...
Totaly agree. I cant add anything up...female voice actor made me feel the fear, made me care for V

I only played the german dub and thought that male V was also fantastic for the reasons you brought up.

For my replay I wanted to use english dubs to compare both (I ended up prefering english Witcher 3 and Mass Effect).

But alas, that won't happen at this point.

Wow I just got to the Endings for the first time and ended up with the "Secret Ending".. talk about gut wrenching and sad as hell. I don't know what the other endings are like (been avoiding spoilers about these) but I do hope there is a solution where V has a chance of coming back to life somewhere along the line. Didn't realize how much he'd grown on me...really want him to have more story.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

so here are my thoughts:
I played Streetkid V and chose the Arasaka-Ending where you end up in space. My V declined Hellman's offer and chose to die on earth. I played V as the 'nice guy' that did not kill off people unless absolutely necessary or if they really deserved it. Nevertheless my V would've never let Johnny take over his body or let himself be downloaded onto someone's PC.
For me, declining Hellmans offer was a powerful move, that fit my V's personality. This time, V, not Johnny or anybody else, chose how this journey would end. Basically he flipped everyone off. (But oh boy, those days of testing in the space station really gave me anxiety. Great job!) That's my interpretation of things, anyways. Choosing to spent his final days with his loved ones really connected with me.

Ultimately I felt some sort of bitter-sweet joy and the ending really made me think. So while yes, it was sad ending, it was not a bad ending for my personal tastes. Other than that, I really would've enjoyed more variety. As many have pointed out before, one or two happier endings for future playthroughs would've been nice. One sad ending is quite enough for me, as I really felt with V and this sense of (presumed) finality. I cannot imagine myself going through that emotional rollercoaster again at least for a few months.
Maybe in the future I'll play an asshole-corpo-brat that'll choose the suicide ending as they maybe know from insiders, that the engram could not be extracted savely. Also just me and my RP-thoughts. The ending credits would really interest me with that ending.

I also want to jump on the speculation-train: It would be fitting, if some fututre DLC picked up where things were left off. Maybe there is some sort of new cure out there for V's otherwise tragic fate. It would make sense then, to have all endings to be kind of the same.

Last edited:
20201221025259_1.jpg

As if I have a choice in the matter, my man. :(

CDPR couldn't even stick the landing with this over-hyped, over-promised, and under-cooked/under-delivered game. I excused the bugs. I excused the cut content pre-release and even the dissipation of third person combat and third person cover system. I (mistakenly) excuse'd the jarring shift in marketing as it pertained to the game's official classification, from "open-world RPG" to "open world action-adventure game." But after finally reaching the ending to this severe let-down, I have come to the conclusion that my tolerance to bovine defecation has reached its limit.

This is atrocious writing on any level no matter how you slice it. Film? It's bad writing. Novels or literature? It doesn't even come close to reaching anywhere remotely near the cusp of nuance or prose of either the former or the latter. I have found better writing on the walls of bathrooms.

Why would you make six or seven endings that all basically amount to death? It's bad enough that CDPR has seemingly not learned a shred from The Witcher 3, as all of the abilities I acquired during gameplay were just passive stat bonuses. But to go from the absolute brilliance of The Witcher 3 to whatever unholy orgy of misery that is comprised of these "various" endings is just astonishing.

As disappointed as I was with the combat, the progression system, the nonexistent role-playing mechanics, absurdly basic NPC AI, I still found myself enjoying the game immeasurably. There are kernels of brilliance everywhere, and I had fun slicing people up with Satori despite the process consisting of nothing but mashing the right trigger button. But how do you pull a Mass Effect 3 this hard? This game is like watching a Coen brothers film. No matter who you root for, you're gravely mistaken in doing so, as they have a more miserable and shorter lifespan than a Game of Thrones character.

The nihilism that saturates every facet of this game's narrative and subsequent endings is practically suffocating, and I am honest to God sick of this disgustingly-rising trend that has permeated video-game stories since at least 2012. I didn't enjoy RDR 2 for that precise reason, and I didn't enjoy Mass Effect 3 especially for that reason. The former became a tedious slog in Chapter 5, as the game malformed into this twisted, overly-depressing Consumption Simulator™ rather than the fun wild west romp I was expecting to enjoy upon purchase.

These video-game writers seem to equate the maudlin with "depth" and the saccharine to inherently "immature, akin to a Disney production." Both forms of logic are heinously fallacious. Something that is so heavy-handed in its tragic atmosphere doesn't necessarily equate to writing that could be considered deep, well-written, or poignant. Just as saccharine endings aren't necessarily diabetes-inducing or full of pandering. Not only do I vehemently disagree with RDR 2 having an appropriate ending, I'd argue that games like RDR 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 take themselves entirely too seriously.

Speaking purely from an RPG standpoint alone makes these solemn seven endings a collective farce. What happened to choice with impact? Impact is not found among what are essentially a bunch of homogenized flavors of "It's all pointless, where is your God now?" Variety is the spice of life (and of RPGs) but CDPR chose to dump a whole bottle of red hot sauce on the dish.

With these endings, my disappointment has come full circle. I was kind of looking forward to a repeat play-through or postgame despite my many misgivings involving the gameplay at its core, but now my mind is made up. What were you thinking CDPR?

If you can't provide the player with a playable product, interesting gameplay, fun combat, varied sidequests, deep RPG mechanics, optimized graphics and performance, or even promises touted before the game dropped, then you sure as hell better provide them with reaffirmation. Congratulations, you failed four out of those five promises. You know which ones I'm talking about.
clap3.gif

Well said!

I think you do not have to sugarcoat it. Just remove the "6 months" from every of the 3 endings that have it and leave the others like they are now.

Afterlife Legend: Die in a blaze of glory during space heist like a true legend, cut to some rando drinking a V at the afterlife or have V survive, continuing his story as a legend.

Nomad: V leaves NC with any love interest and the Aldecaldos claiming to have realized having a place to belong to is better than being a legend in the hell that is NC.

6 months to live is a really stupid gimmic. Nomad ending is even stranger with this whole concept “I don’t want to live in NC”.

This part for me is rushed, because it was not often stated in the story that NC is a problem for V. For nomad life path, maybe. But corpo and street kid? Biochip was a problem, becoming a legend could be a problem since game gave opportunity to play this card if you didn’t want to stick only to the “I just want to survive”.

not to mention that whole engram route with nomad path is just bizarre. Why nomads would take a replicant with them? It would be great if there would be an option storm ‘saka building with Nomads and then have a choice - either way you have 6 month to live as a full fledged human with your SO and nomads or fix you problem by engram and parting your way with nomads since you are no longer you.

not to mention that nomad route is practically only for straight male V or lesbian V, since both River and Kerry won’t leave NC, which is completely consistent with the plot.

Sooo....
To be honest in my opinion the ending where v gives up his body to save Jonny is the only satisfying for me.
The rest is alright but not me kind of turn out.
Like I choosed the way of going with Rouge on the last mission. I choosed it because I didn't trust hanako and I DIDNT wanted to lose panam. The outcome is that I'm becoming a legend (nice) but I lose her !
It would be better fitting for me and for v aswell if you could decide if you want to go with her when standing on the balcony with her.
Just because my intentions was just to not risk her live...

Sooo....
To be honest in my opinion the ending where v gives up his body to save Jonny is the only satisfying for me.
Like I choosed the way of going with Rouge on the last mission. I choosed it because I didn't trust hanako and I DIDNT wanted to lose panam. The outcome is that I'm becoming a legend (nice) but I lose her !
It would be better fitting for me and for v aswell if you could decide if you want to go with her when standing on the balcony with her.
Could decide? A choice you mean? Nah man :shrug:
Anyway, a lot of new people chipping in, good.

Sooo....

Yeah, this game punishes you for getting attached to the world it built. Not optimal for keeping your franchise alive and an absolute killer to replayability.
Might as well not add choices of playstyle and sell it as a one-time-only adventure.

About the Johnny ending:
For the whole game V is about survival and by the end of story s/he goes like - fine take my body, while I will get wiped and maybe live in place where being/thinking like human is capital offence.
Not to mention how this whole “rebel route” goes after this transition.
For me this was just a fan service one and a forced one like they really didn’t know how to put it together but since you need to give something to the Keenu character you end up with “hey, we’re cool now take my body”.

It's not about a sad or happy ending imo, I just wanna continue playing past the point of no return. Killing off the main character effectively means that the gameplay stops there.

I wouldn't even mind playing as Johnny, but for some reason they still made him leave NC. To me the endings feel disconnected from the rest of the story (think GOT season 8), and are just tools to halt progress past the point of no return (which they probably haven't fully developed yet).

If further gameplay would require a happy ending so then be it, that's how it should be in a game that is promoting player choice and is marketed as an RPG or open world adventure (GTA doesn't make you stop playing after the ending).

I only played the german dub and thought that male V was also fantastic for the reasons you brought up.

For my replay I wanted to use english dubs to compare both (I ended up prefering english Witcher 3 and Mass Effect).

But alas, that won't happen at this point.
This is part of what makes it tragic that its actually difficult to find a rubbish character.

Even Johnny, whether you like him or not. They have all been brilliantly written and performed with some of them being truly exceptional at grabbing you by throat and dragging you into Night City, or into this friendship or romance.

It's not about a sad or happy ending imo, I just wanna continue playing past the point of no return. Killing off the main character effectively means that the gameplay stops there.

I wouldn't even mind playing as Johnny, but for some reason they still made him leave NC. To me the endings feel disconnected from the rest of the story (think GOT season 8), and are just tools to halt progress past the point of no return (which they probably haven't fully developed yet).

If further gameplay would require a happy ending so then be it, that's how it should be in a game that is promoting player choice and is marketed as an RPG or open world adventure (GTA doesn't make you stop playing after the ending).
I feel like of all the characters Johnny completes his journey regardless. He either sticks it to Arasaka, reunites with Alt or gets a second chance to be a better person.

And? Finally the writers are not wiping players asses when they whine day after day. Just look at what happened to WoW/Blizzard after pleased every idiots' demand about gameplay changes. No, this is art. You don't tell the artists what and how to do, you only experience it. It's a bit like telling Leonardo Da Vinci that Mona Lisa should have a smaller nose because let's stay the star constellation isn't right.
If this is "art" they would have added the option to keep the old flashing braindance animation, which I liked. But because people complained (rightfully so) they just removed it completely.

tbh i'm waiting for a patch or, more likely, a mod that cut's out this six month nonsense.

In fact they have done a good job on the characters since i'm ten time more mad about this shitty endings then about the bugs and CtD i encountered.

This is part of what makes it tragic that its actually difficult to find a rubbish character.

Even Johnny, whether you like him or not. They have all been brilliantly written and performed with some of them being truly exceptional at grabbing you by throat and dragging you into Night City, or into this friendship or romance.

I feel like of all the characters Johnny completes his journey regardless. He either sticks it to Arasaka, reunites with Alt or gets a second chance to be a better person.

Yes the game characters feel very organic. In Johnnys case I loved to hate him, which means he was written well.

This just makes it even harder.

tbh i'm waiting for a patch or, more likely, a mod that cut's out this six month nonsense.

In fact they have done a good job on the characters since i'm ten time more mad about this shitty endings then about the bugs and CtD i encountered.

Welcome to our therapy group, friend.

A mod would also be my last resort.
Mass Effect 3 got a very thoughtful happy ending mod. Without it, I couldn't have made my peace with the game.

After seeing the 2019 promotion trailer I came to conclusion that something really fucky happened with the story and maybe whole game that year. I know it's just a trailer, but when trailer gives you more options in story than the game, something is not right.

That's why we have a lot of cut content, side missions, their outcomes, short main story, the endings and other. Maybe with time everything will get patched up.

After seeing the 2019 promotion trailer I came to conclusion that something really fucky happened with the story and maybe whole game that year. I know it's just a trailer, but when trailer gives you more options in story than the game, something is not right.

That's why we have a lot of cut content, side missions, their outcomes, short main story, the endings and other. Maybe with time everything will get patched up.

The word on the street is that there was too much crunch, essentially higher-ups pressuring devs to get the game to work asap, whatever the cost.
Reason supposedly was that they couldn't afford another delay, because of investors.

same thing happened with The Witcher 2, the first release was way to rushed and incomplete

Top Bottom