Save files are corrupted

+
A forum mod (not a dev) suggested that this would be the best course of action until the issue can be resolved.

"Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials. "

Thanks for checking that. I have another idea which could be tried. There are other ini files and other locations where these ini files are saved in the game's directory (and in AppData). We could check if these flags already exist there and/or adjust/add them to those ini files.
Maybe one directory takes precedence over the other?

Indeed I will test that. Currently I have enable the console ingame and looking a way to change the values on the fly

If that is possible that would be perfect because we could change the MaxSize* without changing the *.exe file

"Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials. "
GOG =/= CRPD

Was this article helpful? 17 out of 413 found this helpful
This made me laugh though.

Indeed I will test that. Currently I have enable the console ingame and looking a way to change the values on the fly

If that is possible that would be perfect because we could change the MaxSize* without changing the *.exe file
I also thought about using the console to work around this issue. If we can get every information available and dump it into a file and then again load said parameters we could work around this issue. However, I doubt this can be done in a reasonable time...

It's for each player to decide if this kind of self imposed limitation on how to play a game like this is what they want or even should do. For me this is not going to happen, I rather not play at all than constantly think if I should pick up that loot or upgrade that weapon and after each save go into the files to anxiously see if the file is getting too bloated.

In my eyes this whole issue is unacceptable, the only official response so far is unacceptable, and the fact that they have not yet addressed this issue in more depth than couple of sentences in their support page how this "might get fixed down the line" is a straight up god damn insult for their customers.
Absolutely.
Make no mistake, I wasn't saying that "Because there's a way to limit the problem it's not a problem at all".
This situation is NOT normal and nobody has to do what I'm gonna do (because yes, you're right, I'm gonna be super careful and worry about my game moving forward and I just shouldn't. This is a massive issue that needs solving asap).
In fact, I'm gonna go even further and say that it's just as important as fixing the Ps4 version of the game.

Even the most dedicated fan of CP has so much patience and there's a lot of people who has no idea this issue even exists and can run into it sooner or later.
This could cause people to reach the breaking point where they'll be done with CDPR and the game altogether.

Another outrage might not sound relevant from a business stand point but more people asking for refunds add up on the pressure CDPR can handle and it could push them into, yet, another corner where they're forced to give massive amount of refunds but on PC this time...This could be the last nail in the coffin so, they need to take this issue very seriously if you ask me.

It's good to make sure that your plumber doesn't leak but you have to be careful not to create another leak in the process or else, it would be completely disastrous (I mean, you could argue that it's already disastrous but life teached me something: It can always get worst...Especially when you think it can't).

CDPR need to be smart about it and treat this problem as a number 1 priority along with bringing the game back on the Ps store.
Honestly, I don't even mind if they don't announce it prior to do what they need to do but they have to fix it as fast as they possibly can (it should be adressed on the next patch coming on January, for sure).

Pretty much. Yes. A minor detail: Bloating suggests that the save file is filled with air. Completing the main story increases its size. That doesn't necessarily have to do with bloating :p But all in all; yeah, you got it.

In my tests it didn't really matter if you sold your items and waited for them to be purged, dropped them on the floor, or disassembled them. They all pretty much resulted in the same: No change in file size.
Okay, thanks a lot for your clarification and I take this opportunity to thank everyone on the forum who's working to find out what causes the glitch and try to fix it, that's a massive help for the community.

I'm gonna keep a close look at my savefiles moving forward, if I notice something new, I'll make everyone know here (I doubt I will considering the number of tests already made by people who are much more competent than I am but you never know)

Like, jesus, for people who played The last of us, it looks like we found the irl version of Bloaters....They were right, those things are scary XD

Another outrage might not sound relevant from a business stand point but more people asking for refunds add up on the pressure CDPR can handle and it could push them into, yet, another corner where they're forced to give massive amount of refunds but on PC this time...This could be the last nail in the coffin so, they need to take this issue very seriously if you ask me.
Only GOG and Steam can issue PC refunds, unless you somehow bought the game directly from CDPR.

CDPR need to be smart about it and treat this problem as a number 1 priority along with bringing the game back on the Ps store.
Its funny you mention this because it is this exact reason that they are focusing on consoles right now instead of PC related issues.

Been catching up with this thread a bit.

I highly doubt savegames on consoles work differently. A savegame of 5MB in a playthrough of 66 hours seems perfectly fine. Note; Not only inventory data is stored in your savegame. It keeps quest-status, NPC-status, locations, unlocked content, game status, etc etc etc. in the save file.

The fact that PS5 shows 12MB for savegames is one I noticed yesterday. They seem to *all* show 12MB. So it looks like that is just simply pre-allocated space to be sure a savefile actually fits if it increases in size and you overwrite that save. I honestly highly doubt that PS5 has actually got a maximum of 12MB. Nothing about the save system seems to be changed in comparison to TW3. It'd be really weird if they choose to change the maximum save file size on the PS only.

If there would be any changes to storing save-games, then the only one I can imagine is that a console itself decides a game can't have more than X saves or can't use more than X space to save. I don't think that's the case, so I also don't think you should be limited to 20 (10 auto, 10 manual) saves on xbox. You should be able to test this though :p

Again; We can't know for sure and we're not getting confirmation anyway. Just by logics; I'm fairly certain saves are the same over all platforms and I'm fairly certain bloating exists on all platforms, and I'm fairly certain the maximum save size is the same on all platforms.

I see. Well I am not sure if you saw, but in a later post, I did verify that at least for autosaves it numbers them 0 thru 9 starting at 0. So 10 total. And once it hits 9 then Autosave "10" overwrites autosave 0. So for consoles, at least on Xbox, it does in fact limits the autosaves to 10 files before it overwrites the oldest autosave. And I'm fairly certain manual saves work the same. So there does seem to be save limit. Now whether that is 20 total or 20 per character I don't know.

What also confuses me is if theres bloat across the board, why are no to barely any at all consoles reporting it? Only a very small few PS users reporring axsave corruption and thus far no Xbox reports that I've seen. There's certainly glitch abusers and heavy crafters/looters on consoles. Yet the console side seems silent. So either no one is speaking up or its just not happening. It sorta seems like in a way this is more like the PS3 Skyrim issue where certain platforms, but not all of them, suffered this type of bloat/leak.

Also on a Reddit thread one Xbox user said his save data directory is 75mb and he checked his game and only has 4 files. Roughly 18mb per file. He said he plans to show screenshots today to prove it.

So are we really all that certain consoles are being affected the same? I'm not doubting you and appreciate all the effort you put it. But the consoles still don't seem to have solid proof about being affected.

I legit don't care if you don't fix 1 thing till Jan/Feb, but before you take your break for the love of god FIX/ADJUST/WHATEVER the save file issue.

i never complained or moaned about anything since the game released & i loved the game even in it's current state, but to limit me to be able to play only to certain extend on a single character on a game that's literally meant to be played FOR LONG LONG LONG periods of time on a single toon if not unlimited amount of time due to what kind of game it is... nope i refuse to accept this one thing!

FIX THE SAVE FILE 8MB CAP ISSUE ASAP! :mad::mad:

In all fairness though, CDPR has - contrary to other companies - not the reputation of suing their customers.
No, but they are certainly punishing their player base for simply playing the game. Just look at what we're dealing with here. EVERYTHING that went into making this game from the artwork, the overall design of Night City, the music, all the years of programming the developers put under harsh conditions and the Gigabytes of data that the game takes on your computer, it means nothing. Because as this thread's moderator has already insinuated, the only thing that matters in this game is how it properly reflects CDProjekt Red's design philosophy. A philosophy that is restricted solely to a file that doesn't go beyond 8MB. If you don't adhere to their philosophy, everything you put into this game now means nothing.

Why else would they openly state that fixing this issue (Oh, sorry. 'Design Philosophy') might not happen at all?

There's still a lot of people coming into the post and demanding that CDPR fix this issue, and that their silence is unacceptable. This is not targeted towards you in a negative way, and it in no way undermines your concerns. Your concerns are valid 100%. This is also not defending CDPR in ANY wway. Everything that's going on is inexcusable.

However...

Let's also remember that the same thing happened to No Mans Sky. HelloGames said NOTHING for MONTHS and, instead of smearing the PR poop storm around more by trying to sidestep issues with statements or justify things or even defend their decisions, instead they worked to fix the problem, and look at how that game has turned around. Now it's, still, one of the best selling PC games on steam and it continues to sell copies now, four years later.

We all need to remember that this current situation is a PR nightmare. I am really having a hard time writing this post without using expletives to just convey how BIG of a PR minefield this is. CDPR have to plan EVERY step they make carefully, and with precise calculation. One misstep, and this whole thing will blow up in their face worse than it already has.

CDPR knows about this issue now. There's no possible way that they don't. I can almost GUARANTEE you that some of their devs, if not maybe a single dev or two, maybe more, are already trying to brainstorm these collective issues in their heads over their holiday break. Developers with this level of passion for their projects don't let issues like these go lightly. I am very passionate about PC hardware, and when my machine is down, I literally cannot sleep as it causes me actual physical discomfort to leave the machine in that state without working on it. I am almost positive that the developers for this game feel the same way about their product.

Again, it's no excuse. However, the consumers have spoken, quite loudly, over the past ten days. We now HAVE to allow CDPR the room they need to fix these issues in the order that they see fit. What we see as a priority zero issue, may not actually be a priority zero issue. There may be even bigger issues that we're not privy to. I've said it earlier, we're on the outside looking in.

I feel like we're at the point where, as consumers, we have to stop making decisions emotionally and start using measured responses. What I mean by this is, if you're willing to wait for the issues to be fixed, either by the community or by CDPR themselves, then you wait. If you're not willing to wait for these issues to be fixed, then a refund may be the best option for you.

Saying you're willing to wait but posting all over the forums and reddit how angry you are is not productive in any way, and in reality it's only bad for you. You're spending valuable time and energy venting to people who are unable to solve your problems in an unconstructive way. You stress yourself out, which makes you brood on the issue and causes this negative feedback loop.

We need to either trust that CDPR/The Community will fix the issue, or, we need to step away from the game either by getting a refund, or just maybe playing something else, and give this issue the time it needs to cook and be completed.

I don't like this any more than anyone else here, and I don't mean for this to be some kind of hot take to anger everyone. We're reacting the same way everyone reacted when No Mans Sky released. Nobody gave HelloGames a chance, they just flung vitriol towards them, got refunds en masse and to this day still speak ill of the game, in spite of it's 500% improvement. To repeat this mistake and not allow CDPR a chance to fix this, I feel, would be doing them a great disservice. We feel betrayed. We feel bamboozled.

This moment, this release, right now, is when we will find out what kind of company CDPR really is. More than money is on the line, their entire reputation is on the line here. They know it, now we as a community need to understand what kinds of stakes those are. This is a life or death scenario for them.

We need to at least give them the chance to fix this.

No, but stop loading saved games.

First, back up all of your save files by copying them to a folder on your desktop or something. Then, do a verify / repair of the game.

After that, try loading. If it still doesn't work, erase the "corrupted" saves and replace them with the backups. Keep doing this as you troubleshoot. It can often be the loading process, not the saving process that borks a save.

If you were using any sort of modification to the game (like the community's AVX fix), and you disabled it, put it back in place. Any modification to the game can leave reference data that will corrupt the game's ability to read the save files unless the modifications are also running.

EDIT: Also, this assumes you're running on a PC. If ever requesting tech support, the first things we need to know are:
1.) Platform (including specs if on PC)
2.) Brief description of the bug.
3.) Steps to reproduce the bug, if applicable.

Are you pulling our legs no RPG puts this kind of limit on a player?

There's still a lot of people coming into the post and demanding that CDPR fix this issue, and that their silence is unacceptable. This is not targeted towards you in a negative way, and it in no way undermines your concerns. Your concerns are valid 100%. This is also not defending CDPR in ANY wway. Everything that's going on is inexcusable.

However...
In a way, yes I agree with you. But in my opinion expecting a statement from CDPR is not asking too much, considering they have addressed other issues in the past as well. Currently, the only statement is on GOG where they state that the limit might be increased in future patches. Worse, it is nowhere acknowledged as bug. This is the part that annoys me. I don't expect a hotfix over the holidays, but giving a statement that this is a bug that will be fixed isn't asking too much.

Furthermore, while I haven't followed the development of No Man's Sky and can't say anything in that regard CDPR was sure as hell very communicative in the last year leading up to the release. Well, I expect a similar kind of communication now. After all, they have addressed the performance issues on consoles just as well.

Finally, some people here are also trying to figure out how to solve this issue through ini edits or modding. Therefore, not everything is in vain.

However...

Let's also remember that the same thing happened to No Mans Sky. HelloGames said NOTHING for MONTHS and, instead of smearing the PR poop storm around more by trying to sidestep issues with statements or justify things or even defend their decisions, instead they worked to fix the problem, and look at how that game has turned around. Now it's, still, one of the best selling PC games on steam and it continues to sell copies now, four years later.

We all need to remember that this current situation is a PR nightmare. I am really having a hard time writing this post without using expletives to just convey how BIG of a PR minefield this is. CDPR have to plan EVERY step they make carefully, and with precise calculation. One misstep, and this whole thing will blow up in their face worse than it already has.

CDPR knows about this issue now. There's no possible way that they don't. I can almost GUARANTEE you that some of their devs, if not maybe a single dev or two, maybe more, are already trying to brainstorm these collective issues in their heads over their holiday break. Developers with this level of passion for their projects don't let issues like these go lightly. I am very passionate about PC hardware, and when my machine is down, I literally cannot sleep as it causes me actual physical discomfort to leave the machine in that state without working on it. I am almost positive that the developers for this game feel the same way about their product.

Again, it's no excuse. However, the consumers have spoken, quite loudly, over the past ten days. We now HAVE to allow CDPR the room they need to fix these issues in the order that they see fit. What we see as a priority zero issue, may not actually be a priority zero issue. There may be even bigger issues that we're not privy to. I've said it earlier, we're on the outside looking in.

I feel like we're at the point where, as consumers, we have to stop making decisions emotionally and start using measured responses. What I mean by this is, if you're willing to wait for the issues to be fixed, either by the community or by CDPR themselves, then you wait. If you're not willing to wait for these issues to be fixed, then a refund may be the best option for you.

Saying you're willing to wait but posting all over the forums and reddit how angry you are is not productive in any way, and in reality it's only bad for you. You're spending valuable time and energy venting to people who are unable to solve your problems in an unconstructive way. You stress yourself out, which makes you brood on the issue and causes this negative feedback loop.

We need to either trust that CDPR/The Community will fix the issue, or, we need to step away from the game either by getting a refund, or just maybe playing something else, and give this issue the time it needs to cook and be completed.

I don't like this any more than anyone else here, and I don't mean for this to be some kind of hot take to anger everyone. We're reacting the same way everyone reacted when No Mans Sky released. Nobody gave HelloGames a chance, they just flung vitriol towards them, got refunds en masse and to this day still speak ill of the game, in spite of it's 500% improvement. To repeat this mistake and not allow CDPR a chance to fix this, I feel, would be doing them a great disservice. We feel betrayed. We feel bamboozled.

This moment, this release, right now, is when we will find out what kind of company CDPR really is. More than money is on the line, their entire reputation is on the line here. They know it, now we as a community need to understand what kinds of stakes those are. This is a life or death scenario for them.

LOL trust them at this point? Look at what they have done, all the outrage, trust is the last thing they get. No Mans Sky didnt have a game/time breaking bug like this. This is urgent, this is priority zero. Losing dozens of hours in a game is not acceptable. We need them to acknowledge it NOW.

However...

These are all good points, though as others have pointed out I think this particular issue actually necessitates some kind of official statement - even if all they do is acknowledge that this has been a thing for some players.

I'm willing to look past a lot of things to enjoy this incredible game but having constant anxiety about my saves getting too big hanging over my head, that just pulls me out of the game in a bad way. I don't think I want to play any further until we get some word on this.

That said, one should be able to request such a response from CDPR without acting like that Rick & Morty McDonalds-guy, not that I'm pointing any fingers.

However...

I absolutely appreciate your contributions to this topic and the work and thought you've put into your posts. I would and do back this stance on every other issue affecting this game. However, the specific issue being discussed in this particular thread is absolutely game breaking and cannot afford the "HelloGames said NOTHING for MONTHS" approach. I and many other people who love this game have to stop our progress for fear of losing all the time we've invested, and honestly probably a lot of interest in the game overall if we'd have to start over.

In a way, yes I agree with you. But in my opinion expecting a statement from CDPR is not asking too much, considering they have addressed other issues in the past as well. Currently, the only statement is on GOG where they state that the limit might be increased in future patches. Worse, it is nowhere acknowledged as bug. This is the part that annoys me. I don't expect a hotfix over the holidays, but giving a statement that this is a bug that will be fixed isn't asking too much.

Furthermore, while I haven't followed the development of No Man's Sky and can't say anything in that regard CDPR was sure as hell very communicative in the last year leading up to the release. Well, I expect a similar kind of communication now. After all, they have addressed the performance issues on consoles just as well.

Finally, some people here are also trying to figure out how to solve this issue through ini edits or modding. Therefore, not everything is in vain.

I agree with everything you said, which is why I say it's in no way an excuse for their actions. A statement would not be too much to ask, and is a 100% reasonable request.

The reason why I compare it to No Mans Sky was because these same demands were being made. People wanted answers as to why the game was missing a good chunk of advertised features, and why there were really bad bugs and stability issues at launch. I bring it up because HelloGames did NOT respond to ANY demands for ANYTHING. Not a single word from HelloGames for MONTHS. The lead of HG, Sean Murray, redirected ALL of their social media accounts to his device and told the devs to essentially ignore everything you see online and work on fixing the game.

Over time, instead of using their social media account to make statements, they started pumping out updates to the game instead. Eventually reversing the state of the game in such a way that the product you get now is almost completely unrecognizable from the product that was released.

I only bring it up because, it's possible that we could get no word from them about these issues, and instead just see them fix the issues like HelloGames did. I am trying to discourage people from seeing no response from CDPR now as the end all be all of the situation and assuming that they are never going to fix the issue or are not taking the players seriously.

Again, I agree that a statement would be 100% an easy thing to do, and is not at all an unreasonable request. I just don't want people to set this expectation that they are going to revoke christmas break in order to fix these issues. We're pretty much locked into this until January.

I absolutely appreciate your contributions to this topic and the work and thought you've put into your posts. I would and do back this stance on every other issue affecting this game. However, the specific issue being discussed in this particular thread is absolutely game breaking and cannot afford the "HelloGames said NOTHING for MONTHS" approach. I and many other people who love this game have to stop our progress for fear of losing all the time we've invested, and honestly probably a lot of interest in the game overall if we'd have to start over.

In many ways, I also agree with you, that this issue cannot wait and must be fixed immediately. I am affected by this issue as well, and I stopped playing the game at 49 hours in with a save file size of 4,576MB. What I am trying to do is take a somewhat measured stance about the response surrounding this issue, and try and not give people any expectation that the issue absolutely will be resolved. I know it's not the best stance to take, and comparing it to what happened with HelloGames is very much a reach, but, I just wanted to point out that developers have just fixed issues without making statements to address the issues in the past.

I guess I am just trying to give people a glimmer of hope in what is a hopeless situation.

Ultimately, though, I do agree that this issue is very much a priority zero issue. Maybe what I am doing by making these posts is trying not to set MY expectations too high, and hoping that someone may find relief in how I see the situation. I never meant to invalidate anyone's belief in the severity of the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom