Save files are corrupted

+
Hi, fairly certain the actual # of mats doesn't make a big difference. When I set all mine to 50,000,000, the save stayed the same, roughly 4 mb at the time. Cuz I did it w/o actually making anything, there were no extraneous item IDs created, and thus no file size increase beyond the overflow integer that factors big numbers like 50,000,000 down into storable bits. It's now up to 5 mb after exploring and doing a bunch of side missions, with some upgrading of guns mixed in.

Hey choombas,

I realize ya'll got yer hands full here, but this bug has to be priority one for all, and this issue has finally reared it's ugly head upon me while NONE OF MY SAVES ARE OVER 8MB! In fact, they're all under 5MB, and NEITHER MANUAL NOR AUTO SAVES LOAD. None of them; not one of the fifty odd saved games (over 80 hours) loads at all. If I try to 'continue' the game, or load any save, the game crashes to my desktop with 'Woah! Looks like Cyberpunk 2077 has Flatlined!" crash report dialogue. Since this situation doesn't seem to match the majority of issues in this thread (just delete the corrupted save, or go back to a manual save) work, and the game is literally unplayable for me now since I cannot load anything at all, I feel my report probably has some deeper issues that may be pertinent to helping ya'll fix this biatch.

First of all, while I'm obviously upset that I can't finish the game now (crashed during Smasher fight in Belly of the Beast), I want to mention that I have been thoroughly enjoying the game thus far, and aside from the occasional visual glitch (my character dropping trousers and airing out their bits through Dels sunroof), this is the first crash or bug I've experienced that has hindered the game in any meaningful way. That said, it does seem like the 1.05 patch did more harm than good for me, but that may be unrelated and more of a side-effect of game progression given the circumstances (for example; I was unable to talk to Mitch at the Panzer just before joining Panam in 'Foward to Death' and this was the first time I had any issue completing a [thankfully optional] task so far). Again probably unrelated, but...

That said, the inability to load a game is obviously pretty serious issue, so I'll try to be as specific as possible and happy to provide additional info as needed.

As mentioned the game crashed during one of the final boss fights; When enemy (Smasher) rockets killed me the game then crashed (prior to going back to load screen or 'load last checkpoint') and kicked me to desktop with the crash reporter "whoah the game flatlined' dialogue. Now it doesn't seem to matter which save I try to load, I get the same crash.

Summary:
* NO saved games load at all (neither manual nor auto saved games load)
* When I try to load any save or continue, the screen goes blank (black, no audio) for a couple seconds then dumps me to desktop
* Cannot 'Continue' game.
* It would appear the game did create an autosave just prior to crash
* all save files under 5MB (last autosave was 4.5MB)
* (Backing up then) removing last save does not fix problem
* (backing up then) removing last ten autosaves does not fix problem
* Using Steams verify files checks out (and does not fix problem)
* Updating/reinstalling drivers (GPU, CPU, etc.) does not fix, nor does updating/re-installing OS
* While I do collect crafting specs and parts, I have yet to craft a single item, so it's likely there are a lot of crafting parts in my save, and I have a bunch of stuff stored at my downtown apartment, and in the trunk of my Porche and Bugatti.

Edit: Things I've tried:
* Reset all game settings to defaults
* Reinstalled game
* Reinstalled drivers

Game Version:
Steam (1.05) w/zero game mods installed.
Game Settings:
All Graphics settings maxed (psycho), except DLSS (balanced). All other settings @ defaults.
Resolution: 1440p
Character: Level 31, Cred 40, carrying ~270/301
Game Saves: C:\ (Intel Optane)
Game Install: D:\ (Samsung SSD)

Specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980XE CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎7/‎24/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
GPU EVGA (nVidia) Geforce RTX 2080 Ti (Driver 460.89)
OS Drive Intel Optane 905p 1TB
Other Drives Samsung 970 Pro 1TB (x2)
Audio Razer Nari

Notes: all factory drivers, nothing overclocked.

It's a fantastic game, pure work of art, kudos are due to the designers and devs... so unfortunate the situation (Corpo bastards!), seems the devs lived the premise of the game while building it, makes it all the more real... I'm a game dev myself and can only imagine the pressure at this scale... but I have faith!

Last edited:
Have played 120 Hours on Save , Created 1200 purple grenades for matts so that I could created Legendary upgrade materials to continue upgrading Iconic guns. have 130 saves since I save pretty often always break down everything I receive does nothing to save file size. Basically the save file size seems to have one thing that matters and that how often you save. I have tested this and it seems every time you complete an activity the larger your save file is going to get after each save. so if you save a lot after having a lot of completed activities your save file is going to bloat quite quickly to over 8MB. At the point I am in my game every save is around 20Kb regardless of how much stuff is in my inventory how much I have sold if I craft stuff if I don't craft stuff the save file goes up about 20Kb each time I save the game. So taking this information I went and completed some Events did a Side story went and bought 6 new cars and well my save went up by 21 to 23KB after save and then went up by that much after every save. I don't feel like crafting the amount of items I have is in any way excess to what you should. it seems to me that saving to much after completing a lot of gigs/NCPD events/side stories is the issue then saving to often.

Last edited:
Hey choombas,

I realize ya'll got yer hands full here, but this bug has to be priority one for all, and this issue has finally reared it's ugly head upon me while NONE OF MY SAVES ARE OVER 8MB! In fact, they're all under 5MB, and NEITHER MANUAL NOR AUTO SAVES LOAD. None of them; not one of the fifty odd saved games (over 80 hours) loads at all. If I try to 'continue' the game, or load any save, the game crashes to my desktop with 'Woah! Looks like Cyberpunk 2077 has Flatlined!" crash report dialogue. Since this situation doesn't seem to match the majority of issues in this thread (just delete the corrupted save, or go back to a manual save) work, and the game is literally unplayable for me now since I cannot load anything at all, I feel my report probably has some deeper issues that may be pertinent to helping ya'll fix this biatch.

First of all, while I'm obviously upset that I can't finish the game now (crashed during Smasher fight in Belly of the Beast), I want to mention that I have been thoroughly enjoying the game thus far, and aside from the occasional visual glitch (my character dropping trousers and airing out their bits through Dels sunroof), this is the first crash or bug I've experienced that has hindered the game in any meaningful way. That said, it does seem like the 1.05 patch did more harm than good for me, but that may be unrelated and more of a side-effect of game progression given the circumstances (for example; I was unable to talk to Mitch at the Panzer just before joining Panam in 'Foward to Death' and this was the first time I had any issue completing a [thankfully optional] task so far). Again probably unrelated, but...

That said, the inability to load a game is obviously pretty serious issue, so I'll try to be as specific as possible and happy to provide additional info as needed.

As mentioned the game crashed during one of the final boss fights; When enemy (Smasher) rockets killed me the game then crashed (prior to going back to load screen or 'load last checkpoint') and kicked me to desktop with the crash reporter "whoah the game flatlined' dialogue. Now it doesn't seem to matter which save I try to load, I get the same crash.

Summary:
* NO saved games load at all (neither manual nor auto saved games load)
* When I try to load any save or continue, the screen goes blank (black, no audio) for a couple seconds then dumps me to desktop
* Cannot 'Continue' game.
* It would appear the game did create an autosave just prior to crash
* all save files under 5MB (last autosave was 4.5MB)
* (Backing up then) removing last save does not fix problem
* (backing up then) removing last ten autosaves does not fix problem
* Using Steams verify files checks out (and does not fix problem)
* Updating/reinstalling drivers (GPU, CPU, etc.) does not fix, nor does updating/re-installing OS

Game Version:
Steam (1.05) w/zero game mods installed.
Game Settings:
All Graphics settings maxed (psycho), except DLSS (balanced). All other settings @ defaults.
Resolution: 1440p
Character: Level 31, Cred 40, carrying ~270/301
Game Saves: C:\ (Intel Optane)
Game Install: D:\ (Samsung SSD)

Specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980XE CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎7/‎24/‎2020
OS build 19042.685
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
GPU EVGA (nVidia) Geforce RTX 2080 Ti (Driver 460.89)
OS Drive Intel Optane 905p 1TB
Other Drives Samsung 970 Pro 1TB (x2)
Audio Razer Nari

Notes: all factory drivers, nothing overclocked.

It's a fantastic game, pure work of art, kudos are due to the designers and devs... so unfortunate the situation (Corpo bastards!), seems the devs lived the premise of the game while building it, makes it all the more real... I'm a game dev myself and can only imagine the pressure at this scale... but I have faith!

This doesn't sound like the same issue. When your game crashes, it generates a crash dump file, I can't remember where but it lets you view the dump file from the popup window that says the game flatlined. Have you read that dump file, and can you copy/paste it here?

70+ hours, around 6,45 MB here.

We have crafting specs in the game, but the game was not planned to be played by crafters ?

This shall be a joke.

I can live with all the bugs, but being unable to play and enjoy the game, that I can't do.

Either this bug is fixed or this game will be dead in no time.

PC Game

I have 146 hours in game, all my stuff's are crafted, except the weapons. My save games have near 4.5 MB (all folder). I had ZERO insues at now. No one save corrupted.

So I did a bit of extremely small scale testing. But might point us towards correct direction for larger scale test (might do more tomorrow, watch a movie in the background and just craft for 2-3 hours).

Starting position:
- Starting save size 2,033 KB
- Still in Watson before going to get the flathead
- started with 32 Bounce Backs Mk I in inventory

Testing steps:
- load starting save for testing (standing next to drop point, so no movement or driving)
- acquire Mechanic perk
- use all mats in Inventory to create Bounce Backs Mk I (+71, total 102)
- disassemble all Bounce Backs Mk I for mats and create new Bounce Backs Mk I with materials acquired (New total 132)
- create as many as possible Common revolvers (Nova) - 25 revolvers created
- sell all revolvers to drop point
- test specific saving scenario
- quick game to desktop and repeat

Findings (sav.dat size only):
1. Sell all revolvers, wait 48 hours, save
- new save size 2,035 KB

2. Sell all revolvers, save immediately
- new save size 2,057 KB

3. Sell all revolvers, save, wait for 48 hours, save again
- new save size after 1st save 2,057 KB
- new save size after waiting 48 hr 2,037 KB

Observation:
-crafting definitely has effect on save bloating
-keeping clean inventory helps with keeping bloating to minimum
- saving between start state and cleaning inventory makes the issue worse

Future tests:
- difference between drop point and merchant selling
- increase volume of crafting
- using different craft paths - e.g. grenades to revolver, bounce back to clothing, grenades to clothing etc.

==============================

It seems that until the fix is found we might be able to keep the save file bloating to minimum if there is a way to disable autosave (due to increase observed in test #3), before each save clear inventory, sell unnecessary items and wait for 24+ hours. Of course this is a huge decrease to QoL, especially for people who like to save a lot, but might help us enjoy the game a bit longer until the fix is found and deployed. Please take these observations with a grain of salt as it was done on extremely small scale test.

the same exact thing happened to me on pc

You have both files, correct (the save good - any save before - and the save bad)? IF yes, can you do a favor to me? Look at the name of mission on the save good, hour and the name of mission and hour in save bad (you can acess at menu). Apreciate :)

Hi, fairly certain the actual # of mats doesn't make a big difference. When I set all mine to 50,000,000, the save stayed the same, roughly 4 mb at the time. Cuz I did it w/o actually making anything, there were no extraneous item IDs created, and thus no file size increase beyond the overflow integer that factors big numbers like 50,000,000 down into storable bits. It's now up to 5 mb after exploring and doing a bunch of side missions, with some upgrading of guns mixed in.
Could you try adding other (various) items as well and perform additional tests? Also, please report all information you have to CDPR.

Could you try adding other (various) items as well and perform additional tests? Also, please report all information you have to CDPR.

To add on to this, can you craft a bunch of weapons, save to a new file and report that new file size, then load your old save file back up and go to an area with a bunch of enemies, kill them all, then save your game to a new save game file and report the size of that save file.

So I did a bit of extremely small scale testing. But might point us towards correct direction for larger scale test (might do more tomorrow, watch a movie in the background and just craft for 2-3 hours).

Starting position:
- Starting save size 2,033 KB
- Still in Watson before going to get the flathead
- started with 32 Bounce Backs Mk I in inventory

Testing steps:
- load starting save for testing (standing next to drop point, so no movement or driving)
- acquire Mechanic perk
- use all mats in Inventory to create Bounce Backs Mk I (+71, total 102)
- disassemble all Bounce Backs Mk I for mats and create new Bounce Backs Mk I with materials acquired (New total 132)
- create as many as possible Common revolvers (Nova) - 25 revolvers created
- sell all revolvers to drop point
- test specific saving scenario
- quick game to desktop and repeat

Findings (sav.dat size only):
1. Sell all revolvers, wait 48 hours, save
- new save size 2,035 KB

2. Sell all revolvers, save immediately
- new save size 2,057 KB

3. Sell all revolvers, save, wait for 48 hours, save again
- new save size after 1st save 2,057 KB
- new save size after waiting 48 hr 2,037 KB

Observation:
-crafting definitely has effect on save bloating
-keeping clean inventory helps with keeping bloating to minimum
- saving between start state and cleaning inventory makes the issue worse

Future tests:
- difference between drop point and merchant selling
- increase volume of crafting
- using different craft paths - e.g. grenades to revolver, bounce back to clothing, grenades to clothing etc.

==============================

It seems that until the fix is found we might be able to keep the save file bloating to minimum if there is a way to disable autosave (due to increase observed in test #3), before each save clear inventory, sell unnecessary items and wait for 24+ hours. Of course this is a huge decrease to QoL, especially for people who like to save a lot, but might help us enjoy the game a bit longer until the fix is found and deployed. Please take these observations with a grain of salt as it was done on extremely small scale test.
After reading this I decided to have a look myself. My character: Netrunner Nomad, barely doing any crafting, only crafted legendary quickhacks, but I'm looting everything, then selling in drops. Dismantle only when weight limited and far from drop point. 46h into the game, 30% main story, 10% johnny, 10% symptoms

1. Loaded a manual save: 4 112 KB
2. Waited 24h then saved: 4 111 KB
3. Waited another 24h and saved: 4 105KB
4 Waited another 24h and saved: 4 105KB

At this point I stopped. Seems like 24-48h is the time needed for garbage collection to finish it's job, after 48h there's no additional gain to be had. However, this is I think a far cry from what should be, as I'm fairly early in the game, according to the menus .

After reading this I decided to have a look myself. My character: Netrunner Nomad, barely doing any crafting, only crafted legendary quickhacks, but I'm looting everything, then selling in drops. Dismantle only when weight limited and far from drop point. 46h into the game, 30% main story, 10% johnny, 10% symptoms

1. Loaded a manual save: 4 112 KB
2. Waited 24h then saved: 4 111 KB
3. Waited another 24h and saved: 4 105KB
4 Waited another 24h and saved: 4 105KB

At this point I stopped. Seems like 24-48h is the time needed for garbage collection to finish it's job, after 48h there's no additional gain to be had. However, this is I think a far cry from what should be, as I'm fairly early in the game, according to the menus .

Can you repeat these results by crafting a bunch of items like weapons or armour to see if those bloat the save file, then remove them and wait for four days to see if it drops the save file size?

Can you repeat these results by crafting a bunch of items like weapons or armour to see if those bloat the save file, then remove them and wait for four days to see if it drops the save file size?
not with this character, I don't have any crafting perks, nor perk point avaiable to spend. I don't even think I have components

Have played 120 Hours on Save , Created 1200 purple grenades for matts so that I could created Legendary upgrade materials to continue upgrading Iconic guns. have 130 saves since I save pretty often always break down everything I receive does nothing to save file size. Basically the save file size seems to have one thing that matters and that how often you save. I have tested this and it seems every time you complete an activity the larger your save file is going to get after each save. so if you save a lot after having a lot of completed activities your save file is going to bloat quite quickly to over 8MB. At the point I am in my game every save is around 20Kb regardless of how much stuff is in my inventory how much I have sold if I craft stuff if I don't craft stuff the save file goes up about 20Kb each time I save the game. So taking this information I went and completed some Events did a Side story went and bought 6 new cars and well my save went up by 21 to 23KB after save and then went up by that much after every save. I don't feel like crafting the amount of items I have is in any way excess to what you should. it seems to me that saving to much after completing a lot of gigs/NCPD events/side stories is the issue then saving to often.

Has anyone tested this too?
And disabling collect player data, that another poster suggested?

Hey guys. I'm playing on Series X here, a little over 60 hours in. I have something like 40k crafting mats total but I haven't done a lot of crafting.

I see some of you are talking about having a lot of saves. I think maybe the reason there aren't any xbox players talking about it is because the game limits the amount of saves you can have to like 20. I will check save file size when I get home. Good luck, hope it gets fixed and I hope it doesn't happen to me!!!

So. I've been mainly screwing up my craft tests this evening. Way to go me. :D

The tests that I did get right gave scary similar results. You'll see in a bit. First my beaaauuuutiful failures:

- Craft 2000 Unity guns (We all need some unity, don't we?)

So.
Don't do that. Bad idea. My inventory wasn't happy with those 2000 guns at all. I could've simply thought about that. But. Yeah. I figured disassembling was going to take waaaaaaaay too long. (took between 5 - 10 seconds do disassemble 1 item)

Starting: 6229
Without disassembly: 7429

A bit of a useless stat, though nice to realise that items actually take up some fair space.

- Craft 50 psycho flexiweave. I feel like a psycho right now. Don't judge me. Ran out of mats half way through what is going to be my new crafting/disassembling format:

Craft 50 items, disassemble 50 items. Brilliant.

5 runs:
- Starting: 6470
- Items crafted and disassembled: 250 (duh)
- Ending: 6482

That's not too bad. Is it? only 12. (yeah it's still bad, but wait for the other results)

5 runs:
- Starting: 6470
- Crafted: 121
- Ending: 6514
Yeah that's right. I screwed up, okay?! I forgot about resources and I didn't have enough.

No matter though! I did get a little bit of data out of this. Because the bloating of the file by 12KB is nice to note. The Psycho clothing is clothing without any random modifiers. Now look what happens when you craft an item that does have random modifiers:

Crafting some more Unity guns. Same format 50/50 times 5

5 runs:
- Starting: 6229
- Crafted: 250
- Ending: 6290

5 runs:
- Starting: 6290
- Ending: 6351

5 runs:
- Starting: 6351
- Ending: 6411

5 runs:
- Starting: 6411
- Ending: 6470

So. That's scary right!? Every 250 items with a single random modifier increases the file size by 60KB (sometimes off by 1, but honestly? Even if you continuously save the game the saves differ by 1KB. So I'm going to ignore that.)

I am not happy with the amount of crafting I did on wearable items without modifiers and I actually want to see if items with more modifiers change the results. We know modifiers matter, but we don't know if the amount of modifiers matter.

Now down to the question that @pagefault404 stated: What about the fricking unique identifiers.

Well. I think... If we take the unique identifiers into account and we say that they are especially heavy on items with random modifiers, then I think my Unity test might actually be usefull.

Let's see.
(65.000/250) * 60 = 15.600

If I got this right, which I definitely may not have: if I divide 65000(total) by 250 (used in my test) we get 260. So we can fit 260 of my tests into the save file to get close the highest possible unique identifier. If I get 60KB times that by 260 we get 15.600 and divide that by 1024 just to be cool. We all want to divide by 1024. 15MB. I don't think it's something we need to worry about just yet.

Unless I am getting something wrong here. Do let me know.

* This subforum is not a channel of CD PROJEKT RED's Tech Support Team!
If you need to contact our Tech Support Team, please visit the Official Tech Support Website

Please, contact the support, its the best way to inform bugs. :)

I clicked the link you provided, but all I can find is a basic knowledge base of common problems and solutions. Can you direct me to a contact link or something where things like this can be communicated?

I clicked the link you provided, but all I can find is a basic knowledge base of common problems and solutions. Can you direct me to a contact link or something where things like this can be communicated?

In my language, portuguese, JUST to EXEMPLE:

In botton, right side, have a 'link' (in a litle blue box): its 'talk with us'

Top Bottom