Save files are corrupted

+
One last testing for today.
First I played a quest with the burning pants dude (or whatever he's called). Funny quest btw, I liked it.

Anyway, I tried to test the impact of saving so, first time I saved all the time (I was litterally mashing the autosave button all along except up to one point where autosaving isn't possible) and the second I didn't (auto save still occured though).
Starting file was at 3287kb
After first try (constant saving) 3286kb
After second try (without autosave) 3285kb

Didn't seem to have that much of an effect considering it's impossible to match the play time perfectly but it's hard to tell on such a small session. I need to make another testing on a longer one.

Then I played another quest where I had to save a guy called Max (friend of Regina).
This time, I wanted to see how picking up items affect the game so, first try was without picking anything while the second I took all the stuffs available (this included mostly some junks with a few weapons, outfits, grenades and shards). And this is where it gets strange:
Starting file was at 3285kb (I kept playing after the previous quest)
After first try (picking nothing up) 3300kb
After second try (picking everything up) 3298kb

Then I tried to sell all the stuff I picked up just to see what happens (and also to see if selling would have a similar effect as dismantle).

From the previous state at 3298kb (kept playing from last save and yes, I took the most beneficial result for me lol)
Sold all items: 3299kb
Waited 24 hours to purge memory: 3294kb
No change if I wait further

Again, bear in mind that it was impossible for me to match the play time on both sessions (I tried as much as I could but it's just impossible...In fact, it was harder with this quest than it was for the previous one).

Still, I was expecting a bigger influence on picking up items.

I would still not pick them up just in case but it may not be the biggest problem at the end (in fact, so far, I would say crafting (especially grenades and maybe even healings) strikes me as being the most problematic thing).

I will keep making testings and see what I can find.
Also, I'm curious to see if shards causes the game to bloat (because it's an easy thing to stay away from. I mean, getting some lore is cool but it doesn't help you in the actual game and keeping it in a playable state as long as possible seems better to me).

I'd like to mention that we're doing research in why and how this save game corruption is triggered the fastest, so we can give advice to players who come here and don't have a save teetering on corruption so they can adapt their playstyle and buy themselves enough time to wait for a fix without parking their save/playthrough.
Exactly.

Last edited:
"No timeline for a fix, but we're aware and it's being worked on" would have easily earned patience. "

Well you couldn't of looked very hard because i've just found this. https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...or-saved-data-is-damaged-and-cannot-be-loaded

"Unfortunately, the corrupted files cannot be fixed but we are looking into the save file size limit. "

Says to me they're looking at fixing it.
Honestly? If they're going to simply increase the save file size... Like my parents aaaalways said: "We're not angry. We're just veeery disappointed, Floretta. Very disappointed indeed".

That is not a fix at all. By how much? 4MB? double it? And then hope future expansion, more items, more data, and DLC's? They aren't going to outlive 200 hours of play time.

Before I get too worked up over it. I'll just end this message with:

I'd be very disappointed CDPR. Very disappointed indeed.

Up until now we believe PS files have a pre-allocation instead of showing the actual usage. There have been people on this thread that they knew people that had way bigger save files, but they didn't provide proof.

Most platforms do have their own tests for acceptance, I simply don't know which they are. So, maybe? We haven't seen any proof to make it seem that way, neither have we really seen any proof to not make it seem that way. All we have seen is the 12MB files. No less, no more.

My primary suggestion as to why Playstation players haven't spoken about it, or haven't encountered it yet, is prooobably because the group of people on the Playstation that can actually fully play the game is probably smaller compared to the PC group. Besides that I don't know what the usual number of console players on forums is either.

Either way; Everything is possible. So if you can point to the article and if other people can show screenshots of data suggesting save files work differently, then sure. I'm all for it :D

While I can't point to specific articles, several PS user comments actoss reddit all ring the same. They all said their save files stay a consistent 12mb the entire time. From start to finish. No change in size at all unlike on PC and for single save Xbox users. I would say it's a safe indication that yes this is in fact alotted space on PS.

Also I saw it mentioned on here, the 12mb is not a combination of an 8mb save and 4mb profile. The 4mb profile is apparently separate from the 12mb file. So its actually a 12mb save and a 4mb profile for a total of 16mb.

Last edited:
I'd also like to mention, although I don't agree with the wording of Sigilfey, the advice conveyed has been the concensus we've reached. Avoid crafting for now, and if your save is too close to corruption, start a new game for now, and wait for a fix.

I would like to add in that I have not used ANY crafting in this game at all, and my save files are almost 5 megs.

Also some data to add: started tonight with save file of 2.783mb. The only thing i did was drive to downtown towards the delamain quest. As it was the first time that i drove in that area, i received phonecalls for a couple of cars that i could buy. I bought the van and saved. I did not take, sell or craft anything, only driving and buying 1 van. My save file is now 3.031mb. So only for driving to a new area and buying a van.

I would like to add in that I have not used ANY crafting in this game at all, and my save files are almost 5 megs.
Yeah, I think that's about expected. After that, if you don't craft, it won't increase much more. I got a 6.2 and my map was preeeetty much empty. (of symbols. Might've missed the occassional street obviously). I'm fairly certain that if you don't craft, it'd be near impossible to reach 8MB.

Honestly? If they're going to simply increase the save file size... Like my parents aaaalways said: "We're not angry. We're just veeery disappointed, Floretta. Very disappointed indeed".

That is not a fix at all. By how much? 4MB? double it? And then hope future expansion, more items, more data, and DLC's? They aren't going to outlive 200 hours of play time.

There's more than likely a programming reason why there is a limit imposed. Probably to do with object serialization. I'm not CDPR though so I don't know.

Yeah, I think that's about expected. After that, if you don't craft, it won't increase much more. I got a 6.2 and my map was preeeetty much empty. (of symbols. Might've missed the occassional street obviously). I'm fairly certain that if you don't craft, it'd be near impossible to reach 8MB.
Agreed, if you do manage to get close to 8mb without crafting. Please tell me what you've been doing. Like everything. More info is important.

Read the thread. On PS4 save is aways 12MB because full size is allocated from start (8MB save and 4MB profile).
Point is what will happen when you hit 8MB save data wall.

Based on PS user comments that's not actually correct. The 4mb is actually separate from the save. So its 12mb save and a 4mb profile. Which is then 16mb.

I cannot confirm this as I'm on Xbox. But going on what PS users are saying on Reddit threads, it seems my comment is accurate. But a PS player would need to verify or disprove this for 100% certainty.

Last edited:
There's more than likely a programming reason why there is limit's imposed. Probably to do with object serialization. I'm not CDPR though so I don't know.

Well, yes. I honestly think the limit itself stemmed from an early version of the engine when 8MB was a lot. Though do note, when my save file reaches 8.190KB it takes about 30 seconds to actually get to the loading screen.

We've pointed out (and I ahve in a ticket as well) that there is an incredible amount of bloating going on. Save files keep data that isn't there anymore. That is the problem. 8MB is by no (current) means a problem. It's close, but it's not a problem if you look at the current game.

Agreed, if you do manage to get close to 8mb without crafting. Please tell me what you've been doing. Like everything. More info is important.

Im at 4.5 right now. No crafting. 54 hours played. Ive only done like 23% of the game apparently. Ive spent alot of time going to the organized crime and APBs and things like that, shooting guys, and hoovering up everything not nailed down and selling it.

Check this post I made. It lines up with what FlorettaV's mentioned their game file size is.

Edit: with regards to the save file size increase... If they remove a limit altogether...that would solve the immediate problem, no? is that even possible from a coding stand point? Is it a fix? Absolutely not, but it would be a bandaid to hold most people over till a fix can hopefully be made. Afterall, no one wants a save file to be as big as the game.

if they say corrupted save

I think they mean that corruped saved can't be saved because it has been overlooked here, the end of the broken file is not correct for the game to interprete, so they won't be able to restore to a usable state.
as for the rest, I sincerely hope they acknowledge that bloating is linked to the black screen stalling every loading.
black screen is also an issue entirely linked to the save corruption at some point

if they say corrupted save

I think they mean that corruped saved can't be saved because it has been overlooked here, the end of the broken file is not correct for the game to interprete, so they won't be able to restore to a usable state.
as for the rest, I sincerely hope they acknowledge that bloating is linked to the black screen stalling every loading.
black screen is also an issue entirely linked to the save corruption at some point
No corrupted saves can't be restored back to useable saves. It uses a buffer to create save data. The buffer stops at 8MB and will skip any data that follows. Which means it's saving a broken file.

If they increase the size it'll only impact users that are going to exceed 8MB after that specific "fix" (really it's not a fix)

Sad to say I've been affected by this and unfortunately I'm calling it quits as a result. Hopefully it gets fixed someday in which case I'd absolutely return. But having such a limited and limiting restriction as this, placed on a game like this, is counterintuitive and self defeating. I do accept the argument that its not a looter shooter or rgp meant to be played in perpetuity. Fair enough. But personally, I was hoping to be able to utilize crafting. Finish the story and mess around in the city some doing side quests and such. Testing builds. And I was hoping to continue using this character I've invested so much in with future expansions.

FWIW I'm playing on great hardware and have had a relatively good experience compared to consoles. Im level 23, I think, maybe 50% thru the story, 20ish side quests and was fully invested in the tech tree for all out crafting and tech/smart weapons. Never duped or exploited anything, I dont even overclock my cpu/gpu, lol. Very few manual saves and I was deleting all old saves. I saw a video on youtube, checked my save and its already at 4.9. I cant see it surviving long enough to even finish the story, let alone do so while continuing to craft. Since learning of this the few times Ive played Im checking my file size before and after, its no way to game.

Sad to say I've been affected by this and unfortunately I'm calling it quits as a result. Hopefully it gets fixed someday in which case I'd absolutely return. But having such a limited and limiting restriction as this, placed on a game like this, is counterintuitive and self defeating. I do accept the argument that its not a looter shooter or rgp meant to be played in perpetuity. Fair enough. But personally, I was hoping to be able to utilize crafting. Finish the story and mess around in the city some doing side quests and such. Testing builds. And I was hoping to continue using this character I've invested so much in with future expansions.

FWIW I'm playing on great hardware and have had a relatively good experience compared to consoles. Im level 23, I think, maybe 50% thru the story, 20ish side quests and was fully invested in the tech tree for all out crafting and tech/smart weapons. Never duped or exploited anything, I dont even overclock my cpu/gpu, lol. Very few manual saves and I was deleting all old saves. I saw a video on youtube, checked my save and its already at 4.9. I cant see it surviving long enough to even finish the story, let alone do so while continuing to craft. Since learning of this the few times Ive played Im checking my file size before and after, its no way to game.
People are getting freaked out because their file size is 5MBs but it's quite possible your save file won't increase by much by further playing and completing the game.

Think of it as a buffer file size of sorts. After discovering all the new areas the save file won't increase by much just from playing the game normally and completing quests.

Top Bottom