Significant bugs with photo mode

+
I'm getting two extremely annoying bugs with photo mode:

1. The UI overlay frequently decides to participate in screenshots. I'm finding I often have to delete two thirds of the screenshots I'm trying to take because the UI keeps deciding to show itself before the screenshot has actually been taken. It also often decides that when I pressed TAB to turn off the UI, that I didn't really mean what I said and that it should just go right ahead and turn itself back on - usually right before the screen capture finally gets around to executing.
  2. There are some cool opportunities for angled expressions and poses with "look at camera" turned on. You turn away from the camera, then start rotating the view quickly, causing V's head to slowly catch up as she turns back to face the camera. In the time between, you take a shot and her head is turned away while her eyes are facing you. The problem is that, even when bug #1 above manages to get out of the way, a weird ghosting effect likes to occur right at the point where the screenshot is being captured, so you end up with a whole bunch of shots that need to be thrown away because they look like they've been blurred in the lowest quality way possible.
My suggestion:

When I hit the space bar to take a screenshot, freeze-frame the current view immediately until the internal screen-capture functionality gets around to doing its thing.

I've added two attachments to this post. The first is an example of the blurring occurring because the screen capture function doesn't try to synchronise its execution with the current frame properly. The second is an example of the high number of shots that are polluted by the UI overlay.

Attachments

• photomode_21122020_201534.jpg
    photomode_21122020_201534.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 100
  • explorer_2020-12-22_08-45-57.jpg
    explorer_2020-12-22_08-45-57.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
The photo mode fits perfectly with the rest of the game...good but unfinished!
Having aperture but no shutter timing? You can get some great driving shoots but there is always that lack of motion in the wheels like they have been taken at 2000th
Could we have a decent camera flash option? NC looks awesome at night but if you have a subject in the foreground, they usually are too dark.

What are you using for screenshots? I use nvidia experience and while you have to be quick I've not had any issue with the HUD displaying. I do normally hide it then use the photomode key to hide the cursor

I'm getting two extremely annoying bugs with photo mode:

1. The UI overlay frequently decides to participate in screenshots. I'm finding I often have to delete two thirds of the screenshots I'm trying to take because the UI keeps deciding to show itself before the screenshot has actually been taken. It also often decides that when I pressed TAB to turn off the UI, that I didn't really mean what I said and that it should just go right ahead and turn itself back on - usually right before the screen capture finally gets around to executing.
  2. There are some cool opportunities for angled expressions and poses with "look at camera" turned on. You turn away from the camera, then start rotating the view quickly, causing V's head to slowly catch up as she turns back to face the camera. In the time between, you take a shot and her head is turned away while her eyes are facing you. The problem is that, even when bug #1 above manages to get out of the way, a weird ghosting effect likes to occur right at the point where the screenshot is being captured, so you end up with a whole bunch of shots that need to be thrown away because they look like they've been blurred in the lowest quality way possible.
My suggestion:

When I hit the space bar to take a screenshot, freeze-frame the current view immediately until the internal screen-capture functionality gets around to doing its thing.

I've added two attachments to this post. The first is an example of the blurring occurring because the screen capture function doesn't try to synchronise its execution with the current frame properly. The second is an example of the high number of shots that are polluted by the UI overlay.

1. That hasn't happened to me yet, at all! Guess I'm lucky ;)

2. Agreed! A simple freeze anim button would be a godsend!

Great suggestion!

What are you using for screenshots? I use nvidia experience and while you have to be quick I've not had any issue with the HUD displaying. I do normally hide it then use the photomode key to hide the cursor

The UI says to use space bar to take a screenshot. I'm not using any external NVidia tools for this. I suppose I could look into that, but it'd be nice if the in-built functionality worked properly.
Post automatically merged:

1. That hasn't happened to me yet, at all! Guess I'm lucky ;)

I'd be curious - put your graphics settings higher (if not already at maximum) to get your frame rate down into the 20-30fps range. Turn on "look at camera", then start swivelling your V around the place to get some sideways glances happening, and try and take a bunch of screenshots like in the attachment from my opening post. Use TAB to turn the UI off, then start swivelling and hitting spacebar at different positions. Does this UI start turning itself back on or desynchronising with the actual screenshot execution frame? If so, it'd be another point of data for the devs, I guess.

The UI says to use space bar to take a screenshot. I'm not using any external NVidia tools for this. I suppose I could look into that, but it'd be nice if the in-built functionality worked properly.

I'd be curious - put your graphics settings higher (if not already at maximum) to get your frame rate down into the 20-30fps range. Turn on "look at camera", then start swivelling your V around the place to get some sideways glances happening, and try and take a bunch of screenshots like in the attachment from my opening post. Use TAB to turn the UI off, then start swivelling and hitting spacebar at different positions. Does this UI start turning itself back on or desynchronising with the actual screenshot execution frame? If so, it'd be another point of data for the devs, I guess.

I rarely have more than 30fps anyway ;)

Now I get what you mean - I think! I assumed you were talking about it happening for like... when taking single screenshots. If I start spamming - yeah! The UI does get turned on for some of the photos - guess that's hard-coded into the screenshot saving process? Potentially easy to fix tho, hopefully!

Having the option to Freeze V in place during the "look at" anims seems even more needed now :D

I rarely have more than 30fps anyway ;)

Now I get what you mean - I think! I assumed you were talking about it happening for like... when taking single screenshots. If I start spamming - yeah! The UI does get turned on for some of the photos - guess that's hard-coded into the screenshot saving process? Potentially easy to fix tho, hopefully!

Having the option to Freeze V in place during the "look at" anims seems even more needed now :D

Yep. These sorts of screenshots are quite difficult to take, as enticing they are for getting more attached to your character, and increasing your immersion in the world, by extension. See attachments...

Attachments

• photomode_19122020_232343.jpg
    photomode_19122020_232343.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 59
  • photomode_21122020_212052.jpg
    photomode_21122020_212052.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • photomode_22122020_002625.jpg
    photomode_22122020_002625.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 58
Yep. These sorts of screenshots are quite difficult to take, as enticing they are for getting more attached to your character, and increasing your immersion in the world, by extension. See attachments...

Yeah! I fiddle with the pos sliders for literal hours o_O but it's great fun ;) I like your CyberEyes alot!

Attachments

• photomode_21122020_053201.png
    photomode_21122020_053201.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 54
Yeah! I fiddle with the pos sliders for literal hours o_O but it's great fun ;)
Haha yeah have had quite a few of those myself :D

See, look at this one. Literally no way to get an angle like this without trying to snipe mid-frame during a look-at-camera animation.

Attachments

• photomode_22122020_002009.jpg
    photomode_22122020_002009.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom