Save files are corrupted

+
Hmm...You do know you might have HW issues?

Well, yes, I see the implication there, but the dump I posted is pretty much useless as it is. I'd be inclined to believe that were the case if DxDiag had anything else to add, or if the hardware had problems with any other game... which it doesn't. Is there other diagnostic software for nVidia cards that might verify this assumption?

Or if anybody shared a corrupted save around and/or a big one close to corrupt around 7MB would help

My save isn't corrupted, but it is just over 7mb. I avoided playing most of yesterday (aside from some tests to see if clearing inventory/skipping days would shrink it, answer: no) but last night I put it in windowed mode and opened the folder with the save I was playing. Ran around and did some NCPD bounties and my save ended up increasing by about ~100kb.

The size probably blew up while I was leveling crafting before finding out about this bug. I would save after crafting a large number of items, before breaking them down because of crashes. Then I would save again after breaking them down.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind sharing my save and I could likely push it much closer to the brink if needed. Until the game is refunded that is. Then all I can offer is the save.

Edit: Nevermind. While I was writing this, several other helpful posters linked quality test files.

-Actually, getting rid of the items you pick up does reduce the size but not fully. After selling/dismantling something, it's advised to use the "pass time" feature in your inventory and skip 24 hours twice in a row to cause the game to purge part of the memory.
You won't get rid of everything though, there's still something that will remain, hence the bloating phenomenon.

(Sorry if this was mentioned/determined before, reading through 40 pages of posts is becoming more and more difficult.)

Is there really a way to effectively shrink the savegamesize by in-game actions like cleaning out the inventory or dismantling items? Does the size of the savegame ever go down or will it always go up, no matter what we do?

Thank you this file seems an excellent test case because the 1st load is working, if you immediately save and try to reload it a 2nd time this time you get a black screen. No crafting involved. The first save put the file at 8.4 MB here.
Weirdly enough, but I tried that savefile and the next savefile corrupts for me only after crafting ~40 legendary weapons and ~300 epic grenades. So it wasn't corrupt right after the new save or 1 crafted item. I think there is something else that makes savefiles bloated. Still need a fix ofc.

(Sorry if this was mentioned/determined before, reading through 40 pages of posts is becoming more and more difficult.)

Is there really a way to effectively shrink the savegamesize by in-game actions like cleaning out the inventory or dismantling items? Does the size of the savegame ever go down or will it always go up, no matter what we do?
It's definitely in here. Yes. haha.

No matter what you do. Items *will* bloat your save file. There seem to be some pointers that either selling or dropping items purge a little bit more data, but it's pretty much neglectable.

So. No there is no real way to reduce your save file size. It will constantly increase. (until max, obviously)

think its refund time then because the game is broken. they advertised it as "the biggest open world game with so much to do, devs/beta testers have played 175hrs and not finished everything yet"

to

"its not designed to be played a lot, simply dont play it so much and just start again and dont do all teh things we put in the game"

absolute travesty. someone should sue the people who pushed them to release the game before it was ready. its not the devs fault they should share all the correspondance from whoever forced them to release it. if the investers are trying to go all legal on CDPR and it was the investers that pushed this then CDPR should push back in that way... but at the end of the day they need to fix the game. spend some more money hire some more people and get on with it. save your reputation because this is make or brake...

If this isnt fixed SOON i will never touch another CDPR game... makes star citizen seem like a sensible game to invest in...

im trying to figure out the save file structure. Saving twice in a row generates identical sav.dat files as one'd expect, but letting even a single second pass in game changed thousands of lines so its gonna take me a while to figure out some constant points of reference.

You do realize that save file is lz4 compressed so to actually see the correct data, you need to decompress both files and only then compare the data?

You do realize that save file is lz4 compressed so to actually see the correct data, you need to decompress both files and only then compare the data?
I didn't but thanks for telling me, i figured they just serialized everything and that the heap of changes was due to the save storing NPC positions or something like that

Well, yes, I see the implication there, but the dump I posted is pretty much useless as it is. I'd be inclined to believe that were the case if DxDiag had anything else to add, or if the hardware had problems with any other game... which it doesn't. Is there other diagnostic software for nVidia cards that might verify this assumption?
Not that I know of. The problems could be driver related as well, so classic things like using DDU to before installing the newest driver might apply. If they are indeed HW problems though, it could be that CP2077 triggers them, while other games don't because it is a pretty demanding game.

I didn't but thanks for telling me, i figured they just serialized everything and that the heap of changes was due to the save storing NPC positions or something like that
You're welcome. I'd say your best bet is to use pixelrick's tool (https://github.com/PixelRick/CyberpunkSaveEditor) that allows you to decompress saves, save/load them and actually see all the structures stored in the file.

think its refund time then because the game is broken. they advertised it as "the biggest open world game with so much to do, devs/beta testers have played 175hrs and not finished everything yet"

to

"its not designed to be played a lot, simply dont play it so much and just start again and dont do all teh things we put in the game"

absolute travesty. someone should sue the people who pushed them to release the game before it was ready. its not the devs fault they should share all the correspondance from whoever forced them to release it. if the investers are trying to go all legal on CDPR and it was the investers that pushed this then CDPR should push back in that way... but at the end of the day they need to fix the game. spend some more money hire some more people and get on with it. save your reputation because this is make or brake...

If this isnt fixed SOON i will never touch another CDPR game... makes star citizen seem like a sensible game to invest in...

Not trying to defend CD Projekt at all, but posting stuff like this in here is not useful because no one in this thread can do anything about it. None of us are the devs working on the game, and for the people trying to find and track answers and actions to take, it just bloats the thread the same way saved games are getting bloated with useless data that won't go away.

The main issue that has been verified is that max file size issue.

The saved game file does not go up linearly or exponentially unless you're just sitting there crafting constantly.

It does seem to go up in a burst when you find new areas, so if you were still planning on playing through the game, it may be best to finish your exploration first, and then decide what you do after you've made everything pop up and looked over your file size.

A theory that's been put forward that seems to be valid (as best as I can summarize it) is that crafting involves generating unique IDs for the crafted goods that never get cleaned up. The theory came up because of how Witcher 3 works, and how similarly Cyberpunk seems to work. However, this is not the main issue. This is a separate issue that, as a side effect, triggers the main issue of hitting the max file size of 8 MB because it makes it significantly easier to get there.

A second theory that also seems valid is the max file size issue is because something hardcoded into the program truncates things at exactly 8 MB. This theory seems to be the most probable cause for why there's a max file size.

There are other people who have posted corruption issues in the thread that do not appear to be related to the 8 MB max size issue, and they appear to be more like one offs.

Doing something to address either of the two above theories will most likely fix the issue for everyone posting in the thread short term. Addressing both of the theories will most likely remove all save file corruption cases and leave us with just the one-offs mentioned.

Not trying to defend CD Projekt at all, but posting stuff like this in here is not useful because no one in this thread can do anything about it. None of us are the devs working on the game, and for the people trying to find and track answers and actions to take, it just bloats the thread the same way saved games are getting bloated with useless data that won't go away.

The main issue that has been verified is that max file size issue.

The saved game file does not go up linearly or exponentially unless you're just sitting there crafting constantly.

It does seem to go up in a burst when you find new areas, so if you were still planning on playing through the game, it may be best to finish your exploration first, and then decide what you do after you've made everything pop up and looked over your file size.

A theory that's been put forward that seems to be valid (as best as I can summarize it) is that crafting involves generating unique IDs for the crafted goods that never get cleaned up. The theory came up because of how Witcher 3 works, and how similarly Cyberpunk seems to work. However, this is not the main issue. This is a separate issue that, as a side effect, triggers the main issue of hitting the max file size of 8 MB because it makes it significantly easier to get there.

A second theory that also seems valid is the max file size issue is because something hardcoded into the program truncates things at exactly 8 MB. This theory seems to be the most probable cause for why there's a max file size.

There are other people who have posted corruption issues in the thread that do not appear to be related to the 8 MB max size issue, and they appear to be more like one offs.

Doing something to address either of the two above theories will most likely fix the issue for everyone posting in the thread short term. Addressing both of the theories will most likely remove all save file corruption cases and leave us with just the one-offs mentioned.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I think this is exactly the place to voice our disappointment and concerns for the *broken* product we all paid for.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we hadn't had an official moderator response that agravated an already abysmal situation from a customer standpoint, or if CDPR had released any official information or response in regards to this frankly appalling game-breaking situation.

As it stands, I think this is the perfect place to voice our concerns and dissatisfaction, in hopes that CDPR understands the gravity of the problem, and how insulting the pseudo-response (or lack of official response) about it has been.

In retrospect, SONY removing Cyberpunk 2077 from their store spared it's player base lots of suffering since if they can't buy this bugged game, they can't experience the game breaking bugs (like this save game corruption issue).

Oh wow we have a working save editor? Shouldn't it be easy to delete unwanted stuff in the file? Would be nice if someone from CDPR could atleast point us in the right direction..
Well, it's not fully functional but the basics are already there. For example, you can change ammo amount if you find the correct item but not all data structures are mapped as of yet. It might be that items are also linked to let's say some quest structures and in such case removing item will actually corrupt the save file.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. I think this is exactly the place to voice our disappointment and concerns for the *broken* product we all paid for.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if we hadn't had an official moderator response that agravated an already abysmal situation from a customer standpoint, or if CDPR had released any official information or response in regards to this frankly appalling game-breaking situation.

As it stands, I think this is the perfect place to voice our concerns and dissatisfaction, in hopes that CDPR understands the gravity of the problem, and how insulting the pseudo-response (or lack of official response) about it has been.

"Official moderator" isn't on CD Projekt's payroll. You're conveniently ignoring the fact that they're just long standing forum members, as they've been repeating in the thread.

Getting upset over something one of them said is utterly pointless, and with how bloated this thread is, I have serious doubts we'll actually see any red post in here.

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! It really hurts when I breath!"
Doctor: "Then, don't do that."
Don't do what again? doctor?
Post automatically merged:

"Official moderator" isn't on CD Projekt's payroll. You're conveniently ignoring the fact that they're just long standing forum members, as they've been repeating in the thread.

Getting upset over something one of them said is utterly pointless, and with how bloated this thread is, I have serious doubts we'll actually see any red post in here.
maybe this should change considering the circumstances cd has created?

Well, it's not fully functional but the basics are already there. For example, you can change ammo amount if you find the correct item but not all data structures are mapped as of yet. It might be that items are also linked to let's say some quest structures and in such case removing item will actually corrupt the save file.
I think that would be weird if the file currupts because some items are missing from a quest. But then again I never would have imagined we'd be in this predicament in the first place lol

Has anyone tried editing a currupted file and adding the EOF line thats missing? Does Cyberpunk then load it?

Top Bottom