Cyberpunk 2077 hands down best storyline

+
Nope, RPG is where I feel that what I roleplay has direct influence over the world. Also I expect having dialogue choices to roleplay that, not only in my head. RPG is about roleplaying, yes. But there is no roleplaying if choies you make don't matter or change outcome in game/quests etc. So far 98% of your choices don't change anything. Not to mention in most cases you don't even have choices. You can't be charismatic leader, soulless mercenary, witty netrunner, neutral professional, pure evil cyber maniac. Not in your head, but in dialogue options.

Gam that does not provide different outcomes to your decisions is not RPG. It's just adventure game with some mechanics borrowed from RPG.

Under any actual description of what is a 'RPG' most of the games that players state are not an RPG actually are. Where they are 'Not RPG's' or 'Are RPG's' is solely in the opinion of the individual player of what is a RPG. Cyberpunk has most of the requirements to classed as an RPG, way beyond just being say an 'action shooter' (or similar) as some have suggested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game yea its only a Wiki but it covers what is required in some part to be called an RPG. We had exactly the same argument over at Beth with FO4, that is an RPG but 'Not' in some opinions.

One base description I have read is Cyberpunk is an action role playing game which still comes under the RPG heading. While Cyberpunk.Net calls it an open world action adventure game and then goes on to call it a story driven open world RPG??? They seem confused as to what to call it, so I'll stick to what it has in respect to 'what is an RPG' Cyberpunk scrapes in as one IMO.

I almost died of boredom and the last bit of story were so forced on you and prolonged that I had to force myself to finish it. Not to even mention that no matter what choices I try to make (because obviously 98% don't matter) - game tries hard to tell me "no, no, THIS is best choice, THIS you should do".

Above average single player story. Garbage RPG story, no roleplaying at all.

Nowhere near Witcher 3. Not even close.
Witcher only has 3 encodings do t
Character mechanics: The choices you make as you level up your character. Those are just choices about your abilities, not choices about your character's ROLE. It's a subtle, but important difference that the rest of your post actually delineates quite well. You end up arguing my point for me. All I'm saying about roleplaying is having a character idea in your head that is something OTHER than who you are as a person, and then making choices based on that character concept. For instance, I didn't grow up on the streets, but my character in game did, and so I made choices based on that perspective rather than my own, which for me made it more immersive, and made some of the moral choices uncomfortable at times. (Would I take a gun for hire contract? Nope. But my character would see no problem with that).

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to what you want to get from a game. If all you see are bad things, then that's all you will get. I chose to ignore the glitches and focus on enjoying the atmosphere and the story. My personal story was very satisfying and enjoyable, with a bittersweet end that could easily be followed up on with a DLC (not that one would come from just the choices I alone made). If you disagree about the story, that's your prerogative. I wouldn't criticize you, or anyone else for that. Some people enjoy certain games, and others don't. Myself, I loved the story, and I've already started a second playthrough with a different character concept. I'm interested to see where this one will lead. :)
Post automatically merged:

Huh, odd. I found that quite a few of my choices mattered, and that really became apparent near the end game. One set of choices in particular gave me an entirely different way to pursue the end of the game. Another example I can remember was a Streetkid choice that basically let me breeze through an otherwise challenging mission. I don't doubt your experience, as there is no way any game developer can cover every choice gamers will make. I'm pretty sure in my future playthroughs, I'll experience what you have.

I disagree. As I mentioned in another post, a set of choices I made opened up an entirely different way to pursue the end of the story.
So under this definition world of Warcraft isn't an RPG lol? Laughable

Last edited:
I'm genuinely confused and don't undersand what point you're trying to make by this.In all tabletop and most video game RPGs your abilities and stats are an integral part of your characters identity and development.They cement and complement eveything you try to do both from a roleplay point of view and from a mechanics one.If you roleplay a charismatic cleric/healer and you put all your points into strenght/offensive abilities the end result will be a completly disjointed experience in game and out.

If I missinterpreted what you wanted to say please,by all means,clarify.

My experience playing a corpo (as a lifelong fan of Cyberpunk and Shadowrun) was the game actively fighting against my immersion at every turn.The dialog choices (except for some moments in main missions) don't gel with the corpo lifestyle and when you select those options you get whiplash from the change in tone and general attitude.After playing as a Street Kid and a Nomad it seems the corpo part of the story was scrapped in favor of getting the game out (and the other two were folded into eachother).Seeing as you started as a Street Kid I can understand why your experience was so different from mine,the game is practically made for a Street Kid run.

I don't know how you wanted this part to come off but to me it comes off as highly dismisive.As if we're "(role)playing the game wrong" and our criticisms are invalid.No one is hell bent on making their experience of the game a bad one.It is what it is.

For me personally the atmosphere isn't in question here and neither are the glitches.I've had one major bug and no crashes 100 hours in.Bugwise I've had a better time with Cyberpunk than with The Witcher (1) back in the day.The music is stellar and the atmosphere is as it should be.The problem is that everything else isn't consistent and feels jury-rigged together last minute.The fact that I choose the "wrong" life path doesn't help either.It basically taints my first playthrough of the game forever.Also,having replayed the Witcher series right before playing Cyberpunk I can't help but notice the lack of meaningful choices in the story.Yes,I've done the quests that unlock more options at the end and I've 100%ed the game on my corpo.Can't say I'm all to content but I'm definitely less disapointed with them (the endings I mean) than most.

In any case if your experience has been a good one then more power to you.I hope it contiues be good in the future :)

Sorry if I sounded dismissive, it wasn't my intent. I think I just define roleplaying differently (probably comes from being a nascent voice actor and all the acting classes, lol). I think it would be easier to explain if we were playing side by side, then I could show you what I mean. I do have a good example that I just got from my second playthrough of the meet with the Maelstrom to get the bot, but I don't want to ruin anything for you. If you are good with a description of this, let me know, and I'll give you the take on what turned out to be an entirely different outcome for my Corpo Razorgirl as opposed to my Streetkid Netrunner. :)

Witcher only has 3 encodings do t

So under this definition world of warcraft isn't an RPG lol? Laugghable I

Personally, I don't see it as such, but that is just my view. For me, WoW is just a multiplayer hackfest. I don't expect you to agree, I'm just explaining how I see it. If for you roleplaying means character building, that's fine. Enjoying the game on your own terms is paramount. Given that viewpoint, I can see why you don't like this game. I'm beginning to think that it may be time for them to refine the definitions of CRPG's so people know what to expect from any given game. To me, this game is a masterpiece of story and choice, while to you it's just shy of garbage. It doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong, it's just that we have different tastes and playstyles. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Nope, RPG is where I feel that what I roleplay has direct influence over the world. Also I expect having dialogue choices to roleplay that, not only in my head. RPG is about roleplaying, yes. But there is no roleplaying if choies you make don't matter or change outcome in game/quests etc. So far 98% of your choices don't change anything. Not to mention in most cases you don't even have choices. You can't be charismatic leader, soulless mercenary, witty netrunner, neutral professional, pure evil cyber maniac. Not in your head, but in dialogue options.

Gam that does not provide different outcomes to your decisions is not RPG. It's just adventure game with some mechanics borrowed from RPG.

In my second playthrough so far, I actually have a great example of an entirely different outcome as a result of different choices. If you would like me to describe it, I will, but I will hold off for now, as I don't want to ruin anything for anyone reading these posts without spoiler warnings first.

Last edited:
I just finished the Story and tried all the possible endings.. It's an incredible game. I loved all the little quests and characters I met in Night City and the outskirts. So much to make this City come alive and the choices do matter. V really grew on me and he has a distinct voice in my head that I don't want to see go away. Hope the Dev's have some continuation in store for him and the amazing characters I met in Night City.

Sorry if I sounded dismissive, it wasn't my intent. I think I just define roleplaying differently (probably comes from being a nascent voice actor and all the acting classes, lol). I think it would be easier to explain if we were playing side by side, then I could show you what I mean. I do have a good example that I just got from my second playthrough of the meet with the Maelstrom to get the bot, but I don't want to ruin anything for you. If you are good with a description of this, let me know, and I'll give you the take on what turned out to be an entirely different outcome for my Corpo Razorgirl as opposed to my Streetkid Netrunner. :)

Personally, I don't see it as such, but that is just my view. For me, WoW is just a multiplayer hackfest. I don't expect you to agree, I'm just explaining how I see it. If for you roleplaying means character building, that's fine. Enjoying the game on your own terms is paramount. Given that viewpoint, I can see why you don't like this game. I'm beginning to think that it may be time for them to refine the definitions of CRPG's so people know what to expect from any given game. To me, this game is a masterpiece of story and choice, while to you it's just shy of garbage. It doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong, it's just that we have different tastes and playstyles. Nothing wrong with that. :)

In my second playthrough so far, I actually have a great example of an entirely different outcome as a result of different choices. If you would like me to describe it, I will, but I will hold off for now, as I don't want to ruin anything for anyone reading these posts without spoiler warnings first.
You can't just make up your own meaning for what an RPG is, wow is an MMO RPG, cyberpunk is an open world action shooter RPG which has more decisions than wow does!

Sorry if I sounded dismissive, it wasn't my intent. I think I just define roleplaying differently (probably comes from being a nascent voice actor and all the acting classes, lol)[...]
I was just about to say,the way you describe roleplaying sounds more like doing improve in a class than roleplaying in a video game.
I think it would be easier to explain if we were playing side by side, then I could show you what I mean. I do have a good example that I just got from my second playthrough of the meet with the Maelstrom to get the bot, but I don't want to ruin anything for you. If you are good with a description of this, let me know, and I'll give you the take on what turned out to be an entirely different outcome for my Corpo Razorgirl as opposed to my Streetkid Netrunner. :)
I appreaciate you trying not to ruin the outcome for me but,again,I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I've done the prologue 7 times already.Not that I needed to because all the promo material spoiled every permutation of that quest anyway.It's immedietly after that quest chain,when the game starts proper,that the content takes a nose dive.No other questline has the same player agency and lifepath involvement.None.This is a demonstrable fact,not a matter of opinion.

Personally, I don't see it as such, but that is just my view. For me, WoW is just a multiplayer hackfest. I don't expect you to agree, I'm just explaining how I see it.
I will asume this gross miscategorization comes out of complet ignorance of what WoW actually is and how it plays.The alternative is that you have a very twisted understanding of what an RPG is.Arguing that WoW isn't an RPG is like arguing water isn't wet.The game has actual roles for crying out loud.There are RP servers where people have daily routines,jobs,commitments and get banned for breaking character.You can argue about Cyberpunk being whatever you want but WoW being an RPG isn't a matter of opinion.
Given that viewpoint, I can see why you don't like this game. I'm beginning to think that it may be time for them to refine the definitions of CRPG's so people know what to expect from any given game.
Why do you keep projecting a supposed position of dislike of the game on anyone that disagrees with you? Nothing in this thread suggest @Kieran_Grosvenor dislikes the game,quite the opposite in fact.

The definition of what an RPG is doesn't need to be changed.It's pretty clear as is.What needs to change is people's bastardization of it.
To me, this game is a masterpiece of story and choice, while to you it's just shy of garbage.
208fb76bc3478c9121582862c2e8257e.gif

Again you're assuming @Kieran_Grosvenor 's position with no evidence whatsoever.

Just take a look at the history of CRPGs. Decision making, influencing the world around you, impactful dialogue choices and multiple endings are a nice to have, but not core features in CRPGs.

Take a look at Baldurs Gate 1 - there's a lot of dialogue, but there are pretty much no meaningful decisions you can make. In fact none of your decisions are going to influence the world around you. And the main story itself is actually 100% linear with just a single ending.

Another example would be the Realms of Arkania Trilogy. There wasn't any decision making at all despite being pretty much a 1:1 of the PnP including a lot of "hardcore" roleplaying features.

Or take a look at most of the CRPGs in the 80s, most of them lack actual "roleplaying" in terms of dialogue choices and decision making. A lot of them are just dungeon crawlers - which are still CRPGs.

I've played TW3 for more than 150+ hours and i can say without a doubt that I've seen more choices and consequences in its sidequests than in all the entire CP2077 game. Either Cyberpunk 2077 is the first game for many players and they can be made happy just with a flashy looking game ( provided you have the hardware ) or they have never played an RPG before.
Also, best storyline? They just stole many ideas from other games and films, often without changing them.
Of course all this is my opinion.
I am disappointed by its linearity, I've honestly expected more because they advertised it to be " the next gen rpg experience" but here we are.

Story is OK. Nothing special. Would've have been better without Johnny/Keanu.
Probably... his constant presence really got old fast, and pigeonholed the whole thing into one narrow track quite a bit, I mean, he wasn't cheap, so all his scenes gotta be experienced by the player afterall.

Aside from him... yea, rather basic cyberpunk stories, all in all. Probably cooler for people that aren't very experienced with the genre.

I was just about to say,the way you describe roleplaying sounds more like doing improve in a class than roleplaying in a video game.

I appreaciate you trying not to ruin the outcome for me but,again,I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I've done the prologue 7 times already.Not that I needed to because all the promo material spoiled every permutation of that quest anyway.It's immedietly after that quest chain,when the game starts proper,that the content takes a nose dive.No other questline has the same player agency and lifepath involvement.None.This is a demonstrable fact,not a matter of opinion.

I will asume this gross miscategorization comes out of complet ignorance of what WoW actually is and how it plays.The alternative is that you have a very twisted understanding of what an RPG is.Arguing that WoW isn't an RPG is like arguing water isn't wet.The game has actual roles for crying out loud.There are RP servers where people have daily routines,jobs,commitments and get banned for breaking character.You can argue about Cyberpunk being whatever you want but WoW being an RPG isn't a matter of opinion.

Why do you keep projecting a supposed position of dislike of the game on anyone that disagrees with you? Nothing in this thread suggest @Kieran_Grosvenor dislikes the game,quite the opposite in fact.

The definition of what an RPG is doesn't need to be changed.It's pretty clear as is.What needs to change is people's bastardization of it.

View attachment 11107352
Again you're assuming @Kieran_Grosvenor 's position with no evidence whatsoever.
Lol, ok guess we just don't understand each other. As for WoW, I have played games like it, such as Elder Scrolls online. And while the stories were great, I didn't see a lot of choice involved. I can't say what WoW is like for story content, and I'll admit my perception of it is warped by my general dislike of multiplayer games in general (excluding No Man's Sky).

My "presumption" of your dislike of the game, and @Kieran_Grosvenor is from the negativity of the posts. It has nothing to do with "disagreeing" as you put it. Not having realized you've played the game through 3 times, all I "heard" from your criticisms is the game was crap. My bad for presuming, as you said. I'd be interested to hear what you like about the game.

As for my idea of RPG's, it comes from decades of playing tabletop rpgs. Maybe my groups are the odd ones out, but we always focused on playing the characters rather than min/maxing and building the ultimate character. In fact, we purposely build characters with flaws because they are way more fun to play in the long run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to you an RPG is all about character building and progression. For me, it's all about playing the character and developing the personality of that character, with the stats just being a framework for that process. Let's just agree to disagree on this point.

I think I see the issue here, on both sides of the line. I may be wrong, but it's basically coming down to this... potential. One side is willing to see the potential of the game, and be wowed by it. The other side sees the potential in it, and focuses more on the what could have been, instead of the what is.

Neither side is wrong or right (I admit I tend to favor the what could have been side) but it's basically two sides of the same coin. Very few are saying the game is garbage, it's just a disagreement over potential, and if a diamond is a diamond, even if it's rough.

You can't just make up your own meaning for what an RPG is, wow is an MMO RPG, cyberpunk is an open world action shooter RPG which has more decisions than wow does!
I'm not. RPG: ROLE playing game. I choose to play a role, and base my decisions off of that role.

Ok, time to end this. I had no desire to offend anyone, and I apologize if you're getting angry. Unlike a lot of people, I see discussions like this as an opportunity to share ideas, not as an argument, which by the tone of your posts this is turning into. I have no ego invested in this, no desire to be "right". So thank you for the discussion, and if I've misunderstood your tone, I'm sorry.

Guest 4478408

choices... the truth is the more choice you have the less story you CAN have. because any choice that affects the path a story will take also means there have to be TWO stories bejond that point.
this is why your choices usually dont have any more meaning then deciding if a certain npc makes it through the story and very rarely put the story on a whole new path.
of course you may dislike this. but stop fooling yourself. there are VERY few games that actually allow for deeper consequences then this, and these usually are text based.

choices... the truth is the more choice you have the less story you CAN have. because any choice that affects the path a story will take also means there have to be TWO stories bejond that point.
this is why your choices usually dont have any more meaning then deciding if a certain npc makes it through the story and very rarely put the story on a whole new path.
of course you may dislike this. but stop fooling yourself. there are VERY few games that actually allow for deeper consequences then this, and these usually are text based.
Agreed, but for two caviats:
1) CP2077 was claimed to be the next "genre defining RPG", so stuff like that should have been very well in scope for it, and...
2) CDPR is one of the very few AA/AAA developers that already DID pull this kind of storytelling off - rather successfully, I might add - once before!

So we have people coming in to tell you that they think the game wasn't that good and asking if you've ever played a good game before to know the difference. Kind of a jerk move, really. They could have just carried on about their day and let you have your fun.

We have a few people arguing over what an RPG actually is. They seem very confused.

Here's me, from across the room, throwing you a beer because I enjoyed myself and am continuing to enjoy myself as I play this game. Cheers!

Lol, ok guess we just don't understand each other. As for WoW, I have played games like it, such as Elder Scrolls online. And while the stories were great, I didn't see a lot of choice involved. I can't say what WoW is like for story content, and I'll admit my perception of it is warped by my general dislike of multiplayer games in general (excluding No Man's Sky).

My "presumption" of your dislike of the game, and @Kieran_Grosvenor is from the negativity of the posts. It has nothing to do with "disagreeing" as you put it. Not having realized you've played the game through 3 times, all I "heard" from your criticisms is the game was crap. My bad for presuming, as you said. I'd be interested to hear what you like about the game.

As for my idea of RPG's, it comes from decades of playing tabletop rpgs. Maybe my groups are the odd ones out, but we always focused on playing the characters rather than min/maxing and building the ultimate character. In fact, we purposely build characters with flaws because they are way more fun to play in the long run. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to you an RPG is all about character building and progression. For me, it's all about playing the character and developing the personality of that character, with the stats just being a framework for that process. Let's just agree to disagree on this point.

Table top is just one form of RPG, but I understand you are opinionated from the table top point of view and that only, and you can also be a pre defined character...

Top Bottom